Anyone have some coupons for oil changes/know where to get a cheap oil change?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
^^^Up above, and before someone says do it yourself, I can't at the moment. I have know tools, nor the ability to do so, so a place like JiffyLube or Pepboys (really something located in/around or near New Orleans is preferred).

I get my oil changed at NTB. No, it's not cheaper, but if you buy tires there, they'll balance and rotate your tires for free every 5K miles. It's cheaper because my tires last longer this way. They do it whether you get your oil changed there or not, but if I don't get my oil changed there, I tend not to get the tires rotated and balanced and they go bald quicker.

And, NTB is bad about the upsell. If you don't know anything about cars, they'll sell you anything and everything you don't need to be worked on. If you don't know anything about cars, or don't have a regular mechanic you trust, stay the hell away from NTB for anything but tires.

I couldn't get cheaper tires anywhere other than NTB because I have 17" wheels. They don't stock them as readily at Sam's or the other cheap places. So, they weren't any less.

honestly i dont mean to be rude but its pretty easy to do by yourself just make sure u get disposable gloves and dont spill any. i am a cag after all :)

tool wise eh funnel wrench container haha

but thats cuz i have the stuff

nvm me haha

best of luck

I go to Meineke. They do all kinds of service, but usually have an oil change special. At my local shop, it's $18.95 for an oil and filter change, and they also rotate the tires for free.
Unlike Jiffy Lube though, Meineke usually requires an appointment, but can usually do it the same day and be done about 30 minutes. Also unlike Jiffy Lube, Meineke employs real, ASE certified mechanics to work on your car.
Check the website for coupons. Your local shop might be running different specials. www.meinekesavings.com

Don't go to any "quick lube" places... they are always more expensive.

The best place in my area is Goodyear. But I live in Akron, and there are Goodyears everywhere.

They are running a special right now (unsure if it's regional) where they are offering decent deals on oil changes. A full synthetic oil change is around $40 (compared to $75-$80 that I usually pay for full-synthetic). Normal oil is around $20-$25.

I prefer full synthetic though... I pay more, but I only change the oil every 6,000 miles on full synthetic.

I like Monro because they are at the top of my street, so I can walk home and hang out while they work on it. They aren't always the cheapest, but with coupons or specials, they usually run between $18 and $25-$30, and sometimes they include other things that you might not actually want/need.

How long has it been since your last oil change? The "standard" 3,000 miles is a very conservative recommendation. Most car manufactures recommend 5,000 - 10,000 miles.

[quote name='techstar25']I go to Meineke. They do all kinds of service, but usually have an oil change special. At my local shop, it's $18.95 for an oil and filter change, and they also rotate the tires for free.
Unlike Jiffy Lube though, Meineke usually requires an appointment, but can usually do it the same day and be done about 30 minutes. Also unlike Jiffy Lube, Meineke employs real, ASE certified mechanics to work on your car.
Check the website for coupons. Your local shop might be running different specials. www.meinekesavings.com[/quote]

I had to come back to this thread, since I'm doing all kinds of car stuff lately (stupid side view mirror being broken). Thanks for the Mieneke suggestion. I might just go there, if there are any around here (not sure).

I would have used Walmart, since they are everywhere and generally pretty solid, but the Walmarts in this area have reputations that precede them of breaking cars, charging for extra, etc. I'm a bit hesitant to take my car to them.

[quote name='Tom Ato']How long has it been since your last oil change? The "standard" 3,000 miles is a very conservative recommendation. Most car manufactures recommend 5,000 - 10,000 miles.[/quote]

I'd honestly wouldn't wait that long. Rule of thumb is either 3k miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

If you're a member of BJs Wholesale club, some of them do oil changes. Cheapest place for me.

(save the bj jokes, btw! that's just too easy!)

Personally, I go to the Saturn dealership near me. It's $25. They don't try to charge you for other shit. You get a free wash and they have a nice waiting room (with computers and tvs).

[quote name='Shady3011']I'd honestly wouldn't wait that long. Rule of thumb is either 3k miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.[/quote]

I know you can for sure go a little over the 3k or 3 months (if you don't drive your car a lot).

Just skip the qwik lube places. Make an appt at a place and it will be the cheapest. In my area ussually someone has an oil change for no more than $18. Sometimes even less. At that price the convenience outweighs doing it yourself. On another note, valvoline instant used to send you a coupon if you were unsatissfied after getting an oil change with them. You just called the # on the back of the reciept. Then they give you a free oil change. I guess if they still do that you can pay 35 ish there and call the # and get next one free making it $17.50 each for 2 oil changes.

Stay the F away from Wal Mart oil changes. I used to use them as it was 18-22 everytime. I paid $50 yesterday. They've increased the standard oil change to $35 and it's 2.50 for each tire to be rotated. Plus they told me it would be 2 hours for the wait. Dropped it off came back 3 hours later and it still wasn't done. Wal Mart TLE is just as bad as the store.

Places around here regularly send out coupons for $20 oil changes. After you factor in everything you'd have to buy, i say it's worth paying somebody else to do it. Plus i can't where i live anyway. It is true that 3k miles is a conservative estimate. The days when that "rule" was created are long gone. Especially with modern synthetic oils, 3k miles isn't really necessary.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']^^^Up above, and before someone says do it yourself, I can't at the moment. I have know tools, nor the ability to do so, so a place like JiffyLube or Pepboys (really something located in/around or near New Orleans is preferred).[/quote]

pick up a local free city magazine (in SD we have the SD Reader and City Beat), these are always packed full of coupons. some are $12 around my spot, i just got a smog check for super cheap with a coupon in the Reader. i'm sure NO has something like that.

[quote name='von551']pick up a local free city magazine (in SD we have the SD Reader and City Beat), these are always packed full of coupons. some are $12 around my spot, i just got a smog check for super cheap with a coupon in the Reader. i'm sure NO has something like that.[/quote]

I'm not really sure where to find those free city magazines/newspapers here in New Orleans.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Stay the F away from Wal Mart oil changes. I used to use them as it was 18-22 everytime. I paid $50 yesterday. They've increased the standard oil change to $35 and it's 2.50 for each tire to be rotated. Plus they told me it would be 2 hours for the wait. Dropped it off came back 3 hours later and it still wasn't done. Wal Mart TLE is just as bad as the store.[/quote]

Around Vegas, at least, the Wal-mart oil changes aren't bad and don't charge a lot actually.

Personally I go to the dealership and it's only $25. That way I get the OEM oil filter which is important on my car.

I let the dealer do my oil change for about 28 dollars last month because the last time I let them fix my car (it was under warranty) he was bitching about how I paid too much going ot Sears

So, I go there and I'm like "yea, Sears is charging 28 dollars"

"We do too"

"....Then how did I spend too much money?!?!?!"

And to justify it, he went into some long explaination about how he uses OEM products and not that "cheap" stuff and blah blah blah....whatever

I change it myself. the tools will cost you about $20, (socket wrench, filter wrench, oil pan, funnel) and they can be used for years. I get my filters and oil from autozone, they usually run deals like 5 qts. + filter for 14.99. my car takes 4 quarts even so i use the autozone deal and get 5 quarts, after 4 changes i have 4 extra quarts and only need to buy a filter for $4 in order to do the fifth oil change. changing oil is easy, learn how to do it if you wanna save a bit of green. autozone and other parts stores will take your used motor oil for free as well.

sears does it for 30$ total after tax and everything. used to work there, all mechanics are ASE ceritifed. pretty cheap but you can get it cheaper if you have coupons

i gotta agree with the 3k miles thing. there is no need to change the oil that often.

5 quarts of synthetic blend (mobil 1) is $11 at wal mart, and the filters (supertech) are under 3 bucks. that oil is good for at least 5,000 miles. get a friend to show you how to do it yourself, and don't change it too often. you will save a lot of money that way

[quote name='Nam']sears does it for 30$ total after tax and everything. used to work there, all mechanics are ASE ceritifed. pretty cheap but you can get it cheaper if you have coupons[/quote]

The dealership ended up doing it for $30. Evidently all the Meinekes are no longer functioning here since the storm.

[quote name='MajorSmeg']Personally I go to the dealership and it's only $25. That way I get the OEM oil filter which is important on my car.[/quote]

What car requires OEM filters?

I have a new VW and I think it uses synthetic oil (my first car that has it). What's a reasonable price for this type of oil change? I just hit the car's 5,000 mile mark (and the car itself is recommending it), so I should probably go get it done today or tomorrow.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']The dealership ended up doing it for $30. Evidently all the Meinekes are no longer functioning here since the storm.

What car requires OEM filters?[/quote]

Hyundai Elantra, but it goes for all Hyundais. Aftermarket filters don't have as much flow as the oem and can starve the engine of oil at higher revs.

if you have any Express Tires near you, they're always really cheap. used to go there for about $13 if you're a member. don't trust them to diagnose anything though, ha, they couldn't catch a bad timing belt and brakes but offered to clean my battery terminals for $15 last time i went a couple years ago! I now go to a to a local private honest mechanic (yeah they exist!) for $26 and that includes a car wash, plus a drive around and thorough inspection. that's what you ultimately need to find. when it comes time for major work, you have a good connection. my guy just got me a great discount for a new set of tires at discount tires and i'll gladly pay $1000 to replace all my struts through him for service like that.

[quote name='dboy81']If you must go to jiffy lube (for whatever reason), here's a $5.00 off coupon.

http://www.jiffylube.com/specialpromos/fivedollarsoff_coupon.pdf

Just stand firm when they try to a la carte you with all the other crap (differential fluid, air filter, etc.)[/QUOTE]

You just need to know what you need and not be taken. Occasionally they've shown me that in fact I did need an air filter, but that I missed it. Jiffy Lube's o.k., but it is like you said, you need to be vigilant for what you want/need.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You just need to know what you need and not be taken. Occasionally they've shown me that in fact I did need an air filter, but that I missed it. Jiffy Lube's o.k., but it is like you said, you need to be vigilant for what you want/need.[/quote]

I hear you. When I go to Jiffy Lube, I pretty much need... an oil change. Nothing more. The air filter thing pisses me off because in terms of car maintenance, the only thing easier than changing an air filter is putting air in the tires and I hate seeing them take advantage of people and preying on their fears- they go so far as to pull the air filter out and show it to you. It's as if they say, "Hey, I know you didn't ask us to do this, but we pulled out your air filter and- oh my gosh- it's dirty! You're definitely losing mileage because of this... It's a good thing we caught it now. Why not let us put a new one in for $34.95?"

I always politely decline and they're usually pretty good about it. I just find it annoying because all I want is an oil change and to enjoy my burnt cup of crap coffee in the lobby.

bread's done
Back