Anyone here going to Ozzfest 2006?

vietgurl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Has anyone here been to Ozzfest this year or planning on going? I went to the one in Sacramento yesterday (actually, it was in Marysville) and despite the 2 hour drive, the 100+ degree weather, and the sunburns, it was definately worth it! I felt so out of place though as I was practically the only Asian there (surprise surprise...) and I got more than a few racist comments from people. I got there at 9 AM, they opened the gates at around 10 and had bands playing all day on the second stage. They had a bunch of booths and even a Playstation booth (spent a little too much time there...) but I ended up trying to find what little shade there was to wait for the main show to start at 5. Damn it was hot though! I'm not a big fan of Dragonforce or Avenged Sevenfold but Lacuna Coil wasn't bad; the guy was a little lame though (too bad the Italian accent didn't make him any cooler like it should have) and Disturbed and System of a Down definately rocked the house. I called my friend and had him listen in when David from Disturbed went on a rant about emo/punk bands and how much they suck :lol: My friend is the biggest emo/punk fan, lol. But yeah, System of a Down was awesome; they're taking a long "break" after this tour and who knows if they'll ever get back together again so the sunburns and stuff were worth it. They're as weird onstage as their lyrics are. I'm sad that Trivium didn't play at all at this year's Ozzfest but oh well. The bands on the second stage weren't that bad either and I'm checking up on some of them right now.

I'm just still really hyped up from the show and wanted to share. Anyone else go to Ozzfest and how were the other shows? Ozzy didn't show up to this one unfortunately; not a big fan of his but it's his show so it would have been cool to have him open. Definately wished I had just waited until the afternoon/evening before arriving though; the sun made me so tired I started hallucinating on the ride back and had to pull over to take a nap or I would have crashed into something.

This will be the first time they play in my area in about 4 or 5 years. Just sucks that nothing interests me at all this year. About the only plus is that Sharon is letting Ozzy play at the one here this year.

Yeah..Its a horrible lineup this year. I'm sick of all those Mallcore bands too.

Thanks god Lemmy is still around and he's producing great music at the age of 60 (!). He restores my faith in Metal.

EDIT 1: Ozzy played the second stage in Mountain View, CA show

EDIT 2: What pisses me off is there are a lot great underground bands not getting on the Ozzfest bill. It seems all the bands that play there are straight out of Hot Topic which is pretty lame....

Only group I had interest in seeing this go around was Lacuna Coil. Ill wait till they come through on their own tour.

Yeah, the lineup looks to be occupied mostly by garbage nu-metal and metalcore. The best thing to do is wait for the good bands to do off-tour dates.

[quote name='dberuvides']Ozzfest........I thought it was Sharonfest :)[/QUOTE]

Might as well be. Its well known she wears the pants in that family. At least she's not another Yoko Ono.

[quote name='Xevious']
EDIT 2: What pisses me off is there are a lot great underground bands not getting on the Ozzfest bill. It seems all the bands that play there are straight out of Hot Topic which is pretty lame....[/QUOTE]

Not alot of bands can afford the $100,000 most bands have to pay to play the second stage.

[quote name='wiki']Concert organizer Sharon Osbourne makes new or unknown bands pay $100,000 to play on the second stage. During an interview for E Entertainment TV, about the money bands pay to be at the second stage Sharon said "If you believe in your band you`re gonna pay, then I take the money and buy myself something nice" which led people to believe that the money that bands invest doesn´t go to pay for the actual tour expenses but to Sharon´s own pocket.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rabbitt']Why is it that you mention that you're asian in almost all of your topics?[/QUOTE]

Because I'm always doing things that aren't associated with Asians and people give me a hard time about it.

I have yet to go to a metal concert and see it populated with yellow people... I'm always treated like crap too when I go to a concert by myself; I've lost count of how many "drunk" guys (how do you get drunk from beer?) have told me to go back to where I come from, lol.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']What time did Dragonforce play? I'm thinking of going to see DF then leave, that area is horrible.. someone is bound to break into my car eventually.[/quote]

In Marysville, they were the first to play on the main stage. The main show started at 5.

One second, do the bands on the second stage get to see a penny of the money made from the tour?

Ozzfest is playing in my city today, but I went to Warped tour yesterday. I wanted to see Unearth, SYL, ALOL, and All that Remains, but the mainstage is complete garbage this year and I wasn't going to pay $60+ to see a few great bands play for 20 minutes.

[quote name='vietgurl']One second, do the bands on the second stage get to see a penny of the money made from the tour?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about that, but they do gain a lot of exposure from having all the people who attend Ozzfest see/hear of them. That results in people buying their CDs. So, I guess, they make money, whether it is directly or indirectly I do not know (or both).

bread's done
Back