Anyone here not subscribed to Live with an Xbox?

decrot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I was wondering how many people here do not have live. I don't have live because I play online too infrequently to justify me plopping down fifty bucks for xbox live. online should have been free like the other 2 consoles imo so the non-hardcore players can enjoy it as well.

I got a gold subscription just so I could play with friends in Ace Combat 6. I will probably let it expire next year because I have no interest in playing CoD/Halo online, which is why most people subscribe, it seems.

I never payed for gold, but I used the 1 month free trial when you sign up to play some COD4. I probably only played on Live for 2 days out of the whole time I had it. It was fun and all, but I just don't see myself having enough spare time to enjoy my moneys worth if I were to buy a subscription.

[quote name='decrot']they should have a la carte version so you dont have to pay for the time you dont use.[/quote]
Basically saying you buy like, 50 hours, that sorta thing? That's a really good idea. I like that. I just bought a 1 year card from buy.com, because while I don't play super often online, it's nice being able to get demos right away, and $50 really isn't that bad. I have taken to playing Grifball in Halo 3 though lately, and that's been a lot of fun.

Well... I bought live using the dell.com glitch for like $20. (1 year) Then, someone on CAG randomly gave away a 1 year subscription code and I was the first one to enter it. (thanks CAG!) Then I get a bunch of 1 month subscription cards from GTA4's. (thanks GTA!)

So... I'm pretty much set past 2010 by paying only $20!

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Well... I bought live using the dell.com glitch for like $20. (1 year) Then, someone on CAG randomly gave away a 1 year subscription code and I was the first one to enter it. (thanks CAG!) Then I get a bunch of 1 month subscription cards from GTA4's. (thanks GTA!)

So... I'm pretty much set past 2010 by paying only $20![/quote]
dell.com glitch? I'm sure it's gone now, but I'm interested in hearing about it.

It's a fair price if you think about it. Basically sacrificing a new game choice for a year to play all your games online.

But I do wish they gave more for subscribers than non-subscribers. What I'd like is a discount. A percentage off all Marketplace purchases. Like 10-20% at least. Silver members eat up as much bandwidth as Gold members, probably exactly the same since a lot of servers are decentralized even though Xbox Live implies they are not.

Xbox Live Gold is starting to be like that big smoke and mirrors show called Sony's Gamers Advisory Panel. Where you think you're "special" but the regular old Playstation Underground gets the same demos, betas, and contests offers that you do.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']It's a fair price if you think about it. Basically sacrificing a new game choice for a year to play all your games online.

But I do wish they gave more for subscribers than non-subscribers. What I'd like is a discount. A percentage off all Marketplace purchases. Like 10-20% at least. Silver members eat up as much bandwidth as Gold members, probably exactly the same since a lot of servers are decentralized even though Xbox Live implies they are not.

Xbox Live Gold is starting to be like that big smoke and mirrors show called Sony's Gamers Advisory Panel. Where you think you're "special" but the regular old Playstation Underground gets the same demos, betas, and contests offers that you do.[/quote]
A discount would be nice, or perhaps just exclusive access to content that Silver will never get (or perhaps not for a year or something?), and maybe more options in our Gamertag somehow? Not really sure what it could add. But I certainly agree that Gold users deserve a bit more. No offense to Silver members though.

[quote name='YodaEXE']dell.com glitch? I'm sure it's gone now, but I'm interested in hearing about it.[/quote]

It was a glitch were you basically get a coupon that gives you $25 off of anything $25 or more...

It was supposed to be given to people that bought computers from dell.com, but there was a glitch in the system and people could get coupons for anyone. (I didn't know how to exploit this glitch, so I just bought a coupon off ebay for $2)

Well... this deal is looongg gone. (around half a year ago) but it was sweeeet while it lasted!

[quote name='YodaEXE']A discount would be nice, or perhaps just exclusive access to content that Silver will never get (or perhaps not for a year or something?), and maybe more options in our Gamertag somehow? Not really sure what it could add. But I certainly agree that Gold users deserve a bit more. No offense to Silver members though.[/QUOTE]

sigh, delaying or taking services away from silver member does not improve the service gold member is getting.

[quote name='62t']sigh, delaying or taking services away from silver member does not improve the service gold member is getting.[/quote]
I suppose that's true. I guess there really isn't much that can be done really. I suppose we just need to enjoy being able to play online while Silver can't.

[quote name='decrot']they should have a la carte version so you dont have to pay for the time you dont use.[/QUOTE]
how much would you pay an hour? $1? A $50 12-month card could get you 50 hours any-time play and then some. $.50? A $50 12-month card could get you 100 hours any-time play and then some.

100 hours in a year isn't tough to use, i think, because once you find a game you like online, you play A LOT (hours at a time). like burnout paradise, or rock band, or halo3/cod4.

[quote name='62t']sigh, delaying or taking services away from silver member does not improve the service gold member is getting.[/QUOTE]Thanks, 62t.

I don't have gold, and I'm fine with that.

I used to have gold but i'm down to silver again, I so rarely play online that I didn't notice it expired months ago. Works just fine for demo downloads which is what i mainly do

I have live for almost a year now. To tell you the truth, when i had PS2 i rarely played online. But once i got xbox 360, and got live, i played online a lot.

I wish that the Wii would have a better online service. I am happy paying for Gold on the Xbox 360 because it is a superior experience. I think that if all the consoles were equal in what they offered then the price may be less or non-existent.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']It's a fair price if you think about it. Basically sacrificing a new game choice for a year to play all your games online.

Xbox Live Gold is starting to be like that big smoke and mirrors show called Sony's Gamers Advisory Panel. Where you think you're "special" but the regular old Playstation Underground gets the same demos, betas, and contests offers that you do.[/QUOTE]
What I would like is for gold members to have no ads on the dashboard. I'm paying to use the service, why do I still have to see ads?

I don't pay for Live at the moment because the 360 titles I have aren't worth paying for to play online right now. I'll probably wait until I get something where I really want to play it online before considering Live.

Coincidentally, I read an article this past week comparing Xbox Live to other services like PSN and Steam. Here's the link: Why Xbox Live isn't free

i can't play online anymore. it seems for most of these games you have to actually practice to be competitive. it took me a few weeks of regularly playing halo 3 to get decent and after not playing as much i started to get ripped apart by people who still put tons of time into the game.

I don't have gold because I don't care to play online. I don't even care to play online when it's free. Every person I encounter proves this pic...

internetfwadtj7.jpg

Finally got that pic to work. Apparently, if you have "fuck" anywhere in the URL, it won't work here.

pewing and chuplayer have a good point.
i always need to pratice on a game to actually play online. and since i dont game much i havent been able to log into live much. and thats pretty much the reason that i ask if everyone has live or not. it doesnt seem worthwhile to have an xbox if your not going to log into live and play online. I see it as the main selling point for xbox.

and people who are on live are sometimes douchebags. they often act like idiots and they always ruin the game with friendly fire.

I have it. I play online a couple times a week. Price isn't bad since it's available on sale so often--buy.com has 13 month cards for $38.99 pretty often (including right now if the deal is still on), with another $10 off if you can still do google check out.

I'd prefer it be free, but it's worth it to play CoD4 and other games with CAGs, real life friends etc.

My Donkey Kong restoration has eaten up a lot of my free time so lately the only thing I play online is Carcassonne. My online gaming kind of goes in cycles. One month I'm playing everyday all day and the next month I barely touch online play. Either way it's nice to have it when I want it.

i like that pro-rated system, but that would be efficient and make sense. Microsoft would never go for such a thing :p

i have been living off the 48 hour codes and 1 month codes since i BARELY have time to play and my internet is kind of laggy (with 6 people sharing, not surprising right?)

If you pay attention to the various deals on this very site, xbox live isn't $50 a year. About a year ago I got the vision cam bundle clearanced at target for $40 which included a year of live and a few arcade games.

I know I wouldn't play games as much if I didn't have live, especially thanks to our CAG COD4 sessions.

due to kmart clearance i'll have XBL well into 2010.. probably into 2011

i like the fact that i can get on a multiplayer game.. i love playing the XBL arcade titles online.. its a lot more fun with actual friends though.. but for real challanges in games you have to play online.

I used to, but I think the only game I played online (that needed Gold) was Uno, so it seemed kind of pointless. I guess if you like FPSes, it would probably be worth it.

I also have a PS3 though, so I play GTA IV and UT 3 online that way.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']What I would like is for gold members to have no ads on the dashboard. I'm paying to use the service, why do I still have to see ads?[/quote]

Nah, those ads could very well make Xbox Live free for EVERYONE if the dumb fucks up in Redmond started letting external companies buy those spots instead of wasting them promoting Xbox shit. Basically, the same stuff Microsoft does when companies "rent out" Xbox Live to make it free for a weekend...just 365 days a year.

Think about it: millions of unique users a day on Xbox Live, that default dash blade has a nice big fat ad window ripe for the picking. Only the days of ads enabling things to be free for consumers are over. Hence in-game ads and the same pricegouged $60 MSRP.

Xbox Live can be free AND more profitable than it is via a subscriber business model. They're just idiots and choose not to capitalize on what is likely the best advertisement space in the entire entertainment industry, certainly with the rise of gaming and the rapid fall of TV and slow fall of box office takes. Reaching an audience a lot bigger than what a NASCAR hood will.

[quote name='NTolerance']I got a gold subscription just so I could play with friends in Ace Combat 6. I will probably let it expire next year because I have no interest in playing CoD/Halo online, which is why most people subscribe, it seems.[/quote]

Contrary to popular belief, there are better games to play online other than Halo 3 and CoD4...

Gears of War and Battlefield: Bad Company are TWO great examples. Not everyone plays Halo 3/CoD4 online...\\

And to answer the OP, yes I do have xbox live. It is completely pointless to have a 360 and NOT have xbox live.

[quote name='Kevlar281']My Donkey Kong restoration has eaten up a lot of my free time so lately the only thing I play online is Carcassonne. My online gaming kind of goes in cycles. One month I'm playing everyday all day and the next month I barely touch online play. Either way it's nice to have it when I want it.[/quote]

Ditto for me, also ditto on the gamesradar article and ditto on why have a xbox 360 without live(gold). I play PDZ, DiRT, Burnout Paradise, Carcasonne, Worms, Assault Heroes 2, online from time to time but really nobody pays 50 bucks for gold membership if they're informed.:lol:

I pay...although, I don't play THAT much on LIVE, but it's a nice option. Halo3 and COD4 take up a lot of time regardless when I do use it.

As stated, CAG'ers do NOT pay $50 for LIVE. I think I got mine for like $25-$30 always.

eh, I had it for three months, but it was pretty much a total waste. I don't have Halo, CoD, or GTA so there's was never anyone to play with. The only games I played online were Sega Superstars Tennis (which is horrible online. I don't see how they can make you to pay for something so slow and lagtastic) and Viva Pinata: Party Animals ($15 clearance :p ). I actually had fun on VP, and I got an achievement that you can only get from playing online.

So to sum up my rambling I don't have live XP

I actually don't right now, but I will in the next few days. My subscription expired last month, was just waiting for a deal on the 12 month cards to pop up. That $39 buy.com deal was good enough, I'll be back on gold this week.

Right on about the differences between gold and silver being too minimal though - what's fucked up is whenever Microsoft thinks the same thing, they take stuff away from silver members rather than giving more stuff to gold members. Way to please your customers.

During these 2-3 weeks I've been silver I can't say I've really missed the gold status. I'm hoping that the Mii-ripoff thing they supposedly have coming up is going to make the gold membership a little more worthwhile....how that would be the case, I have no idea.

I had it for a year till it ran out about two months ago. Since then, I just used a one month trial while I wait for GoW2 to come out.

I have LIVE and like most CAGs, I didnt nearly pay $50 for it. I got a bunch of the TRU clearance vision packs as well as several 1monthers from Arcade unplugged. However, I dont actully *play* much online. My most played online games are Pinball FX (was on this hard for about a month) and Texas Hold 'Em. Hell, even though I got GTA during a midnight launch, I have yet to even check out that multiplayer.

I dunno, maybe that will change at some point, but there just hasnt really been many games that compell me to play online. I pretty much only have gold to keep my options open. We'll see. I'm still waiting for Feeding Frenzy 2 ;)

bread's done
Back