Anyone know anything about surge protectors?

MrDubbs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-10...ressor/dp/B0009WDLPK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm thinking of getting this surge protector as an upgrade from the one I currently have, since I've upgraded my equipment over the past year.

This is my current one

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5839239

Anyway, I have a Sharp 42", PS3, Wii, DVR, Onkyo HTIB (w/Sub) all hooked up to this surge protector. With my Xbox 360 plugged directly into the wall, since MS said it didn't get enough power when plugged into the SP but that's another story.

Anyway, do you guys think it's worth the upgrade? One thing that I've noticed is that my TV makes a cracking sound (well the plastic bevel does) when turning on and shut off, due to warming and cooling. But I've also noticed it even when the TV's been off. So i thought maybe the electricity was getting sudden surges and causing it. I'm prob wrong, but if not would this protector help me?

I guess the bottom line is if it's worth the upgrade.

thanks for any help

anyone? the price on Amazon keeps fluctuating and I want to be able to order before it goes way back up again

Thanks

Your walmart link doesnt work.

Almost all TV's I have owned make the creaking sounds even when off. Such a large piece of plastic etc will respond to temperature changes. Its not mini surges :p

Do you have alot of lightning storms? Power outtages? If you have the $80 bucks to throw at it, go for it. I dont know what power strip you had previous or how much of an upgrade it is.

[quote name='Lice']Your walmart link doesnt work.

Almost all TV's I have owned make the creaking sounds even when off. Such a large piece of plastic etc will respond to temperature changes. Its not mini surges :p

Do you have alot of lightning storms? Power outtages? If you have the $80 bucks to throw at it, go for it. I dont know what power strip you had previous or how much of an upgrade it is.[/quote]

Sorry, forgot how Wal-Mart links are

0082916066730_215X215.jpg

Safeguard against power surges with this 10-outlet surge protector, which is durably constructed from fire-prevention plastic.

• 4,320 Joules - 288,000 Amps
  • 8' power cord - 14-gauge heavy-duty, 6' telephone, 6' coaxial, 6' networking cables included
  • Sliding safety covers
  • 360-degree rotating plug
  • 4 spaced outlets
  • Surge protection and ground indicators
  • Phone/fax/modem/dsl/network/coax protection
  • Cord management system

As far as storms are concerned, we do get quite a few especially during this time of year coming up. Also, I'm just concerned about living in an apartment building, about the wiring.

Upgrade isn't worth it. LCDs always have that weird thing about them turning off. You either get used to it or buy something else. A higher resistance surge protector isn't going to stop it I'm afraid.

Oh yeah, and it isn't a bad thing. Sharps aren't known for wigging out for no good reason.

bread's done
Back