Anyone lived abroad for short periods of time?

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I am a teacher and this summer I am looking to live abroad for a month or so. I am unsure if I am going to stay in one country or just travel around a lot. Was wondering if anyone has had experience renting an apartment short term, like a month or two abroad. I know I could just google, it but I do trust CAGS opinion over random peoples'. Feel free to add any comments or suggestions.

All I can say is that if you EVER have to apply for a government job and they have to do a SSBI on you, prepare to hand over 10 years of where you have been and what you have done cause they WILL want to know that :(

For me, it's been roughly 50% apartments, 50% extended stay hotels (whether it's a hotel or a bed-and-breakfast-type place). In all instances, though, I was invited to visit for work or I applied for a temporary position, and the contacts/connections to get me lodged and ready to roll were built into the invitation/application.

Hence, I'd focus on the work angle first and let the accommodation/transportation angle sort itself out. That's assuming you're serious about working abroad. If there's a job out there for you, I'm sure the people who will be employing you will be happy to help you out.

I do this less now that I've got a kid, but working abroad for a month or so at a time is a ton of fun. You get a nice slice of living and have enough time to settle in and assume new routines, do new things, so on. I guess it assumes a certain attitude, but if you've got the right mindset it's a great way to get by.

I taught Engrish for 16 week periods in Manila, Santiago, and Seoul... I found roommates at each location, so I'm not sure about the hotels or temp-stay apartments.

One thing to always keep in mind though... Make sure you understand customs and public behaviors before taking on the streets solo. Some things may seem quite silly to us, but completely obscure and disrespectful to others.

Another thing, if you should decide to enter an Asian country. Fixed eye contact is generally a sign of aggression, and can land you in some pretty serious hurt. (I speak from personal experience, got my ankles beat like no tomorrow by an old man with a Kali stick... so if you need directions, ask young people.)

Either stay in an extended stay hotel, apartment, maybe a condo for rent? I haven't really had a
problem since I usually stay at a relative's house.

yea not really looking for a job, just want to vacation for an extended time and want it to be cheaper than hotels, but nicer than hostels.

when i did a summer abroad in scotland the university i went to rented out their empty dorms, since ya know most students arent there. there werent a ton of people, but the rates were cheap compared to hotels and the conditions nicer than hostels. during the G8 summit, which happened to go on the same time i was there, the dorms were packed with people who just stayed for the week. so maybe thats something to look into instead of actually renting a flat.

edit: oh yeah, and then when i was travelling we stayed at dorms in a university in vienna for several days (during the summer also), so maybe its not entirely uncommon. im really not sure how common it is for universities to do this, here or abroad.

bread's done
Back