Anyone own a motorcyle?

specialk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I'm considering investing in a motorcycle, yet know virtually nothing about brands/types etc.
I'm not looking for something too expensive (gotta keep it cheap in the spirit of the forums)and that's good on gas mileage.

So far I've put into consideration a Kawasaki Ninja
http://kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=263

Now again I know nothing about types (sports/roadster/etc). This is just what I found from searching a little. Any recommendations/suggestions are more than appreciated.

So who owns a motorcycle?

Before buying a motorcycle, you should take a motorcycle safety course. Also factor in buying a good helmet (not a use one at a thrift store which I notice some people do).

A good book I recommend for beginners is "the Idiots Guide to Motorcycles"; Its also has recommendations in the back as to which motorcyles are best for beginners.

Oh for sure I had planned on taking a course. I'm not set on getting one yet, just wondered if anyone here had one and their thoughts on them.

I own a 2001 Kawasaki Zx6r. It is one of 4 bikes I have owned. I can speak very highly for it, love the bike, and the fuel economy is fantastic.

I agree, safety course, license, and a good helmet are all necessary.

Bikes are wonderful, offer sooooo many advantages, but be careful.

I would be hesitant about buying a new bike. Don't get me wrong, the 250R is a sweet little bike but if you are a new rider then you'll eventually lay the bike down. Even if you don't hurt yourself, even if it's in the driveway, you'll lay it down someday. So, I'd be more inclined to buy a used bike.

Also, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? Because that 250R is a damn small bike. I'm not going to give you shit for starting off on a 250cc engine (because there are a lot of assholes telling everyone to start with 600cc which is idiotic for a totally new rider), but that frame is very small.

[quote name='R1V3R5']I would be hesitant about buying a new bike. Don't get me wrong, the 250R is a sweet little bike but if you are a new rider then you'll eventually lay the bike down. Even if you don't hurt yourself, even if it's in the driveway, you'll lay it down someday. So, I'd be more inclined to buy a used bike.

Also, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? Because that 250R is a damn small bike. I'm not going to give you shit for starting off on a 250cc engine (because there are a lot of assholes telling everyone to start with 600cc which is idiotic for a totally new rider), but that frame is very small.[/QUOTE]

I'm about 6'0, 180.

And like I said I have no idea if I should start off with a sports bike...or a roadster. They have a Kawasaki Roadster that's about 800 cheaper. And yeah if I get serious about buying one I'll look for a used one first.

Also I'm not set on a Kawasaki, or even a sports bike. I'm open to Hondas, Harleys, whatever.

[quote name='specialk']I'm about 6'0, 180.

And like I said I have no idea if I should start off with a sports bike...or a roadster. They have a Kawasaki Roadster that's about 800 cheaper. And yeah if I get serious about buying one I'll look for a used one first.

Also I'm not set on a Kawasaki, or even a sports bike. I'm open to Hondas, Harleys, whatever.[/quote]

Here is another thing to think about:

The insurance rates for different motorcycles vary a lot. It could be a ball park of $300 a year to $2,000 a year depending on what bike you are going to get.

A basic rule of thumb is that people tend to race sport bikes more and therefore crash them more whereas a cruiser bike is not really meant for racing. I'm speaking in generalities though. There may be other reasons why there is such a wide range in insurance rates...

[quote name='Xevious']Here is another thing to think about:

The insurance rates for different motorcycles vary a lot. It could be a ball park of $300 a year to $2,000 a year depending on what bike you are going to get.

A basic rule of thumb is that people tend to race sport bikes more and therefore crash them more whereas a cruiser bike is not really meant for racing. I'm speaking in generalities though. There may be other reasons why there is such a wide range in insurance rates...[/QUOTE]

Yeah i had wondered how much insurance would run me. I could definitely see a red sports bike being significantly more than a cruiser.

[quote name='Koggit']I thought insurance for motorcycles is optional?

Why would you get insurance when you don't have to?[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I'm not sure.

Why would you get insurance when you don't have to?[/quote]

Well health and homeowner's insurance are optional too, but they sure do help if you don't have a ton of money.

Why would you get insurance when you don't have to?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you have to get insurance. It's a motor vehicle. What if you ram into a car or damage someone's property. Yea, you need insurance.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm sure you have to get insurance. It's a motor vehicle. What if you ram into a car or damage someone's property. Yea, you need insurance.[/QUOTE]

Actually it depends on the state.

Here in WA it's not required: http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=wa

I was pretty sure it wasn't, since IMO that was always the most appealing part about motorcycles. Insurance companies rip you the fuck off. You pay $1,000+ a year, and even IF something happens you end up paying at least half the cost in your deductible. I hate the insurance industry more than any other. IMO insurance is gambling with the odds stacked against you (their statisticians know what they're doing), their enormous profit margins show how fucked over you're getting. The only time it makes sense to me is if you absolutely rely on a certain thing -- like business owners insuring their company, pianists insuring their hands, etc. I'm glad liability insurance is mandatory for car owners, but if I didn't have to get it I wouldn't.

I've been riding for almost 13 years now and have had everything from small engine dirtbikes to outrageously large cruisers and soon enough an outrageously large pro-street chopper that I'm going to build myself, most likely with a 2200+ cc engine.

As far as what style (crotch-rocket vs cruiser) is concerned, I would lean away from the sportbikes. That's prefference of course, but I just don't like the feel of the ride. A good starter bike in a cruiser will have an engine in the 650-800cc realm. Seems like a lot but after a few weeks you'll think it's too small. Don't under any circumstances buy a Harley. They're hugely overpriced and you can get a great metric cruiser that is twice the bike for half the price.

And to the guy who is complaining about insurance, shop for better insurance. The companies are out to make a profit, but some are much better than others.

My friend drives a bike and insurance is required at least where we live. He bought one on a whim several years ago learned to drive it in parking lots and eventually bought a bigger sports bike. Drove it for a few years laid it down insurance covered his leathers, helmet and bike... he wrecked in the country from someone mowing their grass... slid in a curve and wound up in a field...lol... He used the insurance money put some with it and got an even bigger crotch rocket and now a racing license and yea..... Be careful lil fella it's a lifestyle...

You might want to sign up for a course asap. The one here that they have at a local college you almost have to sign up for 6 months in advance. Here in IL(st. louis area) they only have it a few months out of the year. That is however just that school. So if you are in an area that does not get cold(less then 60 and snows a lot) then chances are they have them all or most of the year. That is just something you want to look at if you have yet to do so. I to am wanting a motorcycle but want to take the course first. I have to hold off till next year now not only due to money but also due to the classes being full.

bread's done
Back