Anyone own a Vespa or some other Scooter/Moped?

I've been looking at low end motorcycles/scooters for the past couple of months. I love my Honda CR-V, but a bike would be pretty awesome for getting around town and short trips in good weather.

I'm leaning more towards a motorcycle at this point considering I might want some trips out of town. Any suggestions for a good starter bike to consider?

I like the Rebel, but I haven't seen any used ones for sale in this area...

[quote name='paz9x']yea it puzzles me. im sitting there looking at a $400 helmet and a jacket almost as expensive and theyre trying to charge me $5k for the bike. i will not buy gear from them now, for any reason.
i did some research and i know there are 2 dealerships about an hour away that people have been able to get

its crazy, i havent decided what im more willing to do; pay a little bit more for a bike now or wait until after summer and over pay for the gas i use to get to work until then.

i sold my former commuter car to my brother, who was in a pinch for a good car. so now im stuck with the beast to commute. im a dummy.

Why not just get a bike? I ride my bike 10 miles to work every day - it's cheaper, keeps you healthy, and is better for the environment

[quote name='rockhero']Why not just get a bike? I ride my bike 10 miles to work every day - it's cheaper, keeps you healthy, and is better for the environment[/QUOTE]

if youre directing that towards me
my commute is 18 miles via the freeway. id imagine once i figured out how to get there using surface streets it would probably double the mileage and take 3 hours each way. im not looking to make 12hour work days 18 hours.

if youre directing that to the TS he already stated he had to make cash deposits and needed something faster than a bike.

[quote name='rockhero']Why not just get a bike? I ride my bike 10 miles to work every day - it's cheaper, keeps you healthy, and is better for the environment[/QUOTE]

It's healthy until a car runs over you. ;)

Paz9x, you will pay a premium now, thats a given considering the gas prices, hell even some harleys get close to 40mpg and they're never in stock anyway. I was just saying find a better dealership to pay that premium to, not the other one you were talking about who was trying to get you to bend over.

I'll tell you this, its well worth it. Ridin a bike is like nothing else, that 250 will soon evolve into a 600+!:cool:

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Paz9x, you will pay a premium now, thats a given considering the gas prices, hell even some harleys get close to 40mpg and they're never in stock anyway. I was just saying find a better dealership to pay that premium to, not the other one you were talking about who was trying to get you to bend over.

I'll tell you this, its well worth it. Ridin a bike is like nothing else, that 250 will soon evolve into a 600+!:cool:[/QUOTE]

well see. im lookin at used 600's as well. i found a bike i liked but my motorcycle buddy axed it.
you wouldnt believe the amount of people living in foreign countries wanting to ship my their bikes for very little $ crazy huh =)

OP, how long will it take for a bike purchase to be "cheaper", gas-wise, given the upfront cost on the bike?

IE: Say you spend $3000 up front on a bike, plus insurance, plus you are buying gas for it (and a helmet, whatever). How many months (years) before you recoup the original expense that you had to put out on the bike, verses just taking that money and buying gas as you'll have to continue to do anyway?

[quote name='mtxbass1']OP, how long will it take for a bike purchase to be "cheaper", gas-wise, given the upfront cost on the bike?

IE: Say you spend $3000 up front on a bike, plus insurance, plus you are buying gas for it (and a helmet, whatever). How many months (years) before you recoup the original expense that you had to put out on the bike, verses just taking that money and buying gas as you'll have to continue to do anyway?[/QUOTE]

im not the OP but ill be saving a LOT, around $190 a month after gas and insurance. and thats at todays gas prices. as they go up so will my savings. but, i expect the bike to pay for itself within 2 years. then everyday after that will be money in my pocket.

[quote name='paz9x']well see. im lookin at used 600's as well. i found a bike i liked but my motorcycle buddy axed it.
you wouldnt believe the amount of people living in foreign countries wanting to ship my their bikes for very little $ crazy huh =)[/quote]

Paz, you talking about people wanting to send you a bike from another country? Like on eBay or something? I ask because there are some crazy scams going on through those channels. Most often the VIN number and entire auction is frauded and they'll ask for "western union money transfer".

I may have jumped to conclusions, but just be careful in those situations. There is never a reason for a seller not to accept Paypal on large purchases. And true freight for a motorcycle is not cheap, your looking at a couple thousand to get it across the pond and to a deliverable location.

Keep in mind cycletrader (the magazine) and craigslist are also good places to look.

[quote name='paz9x']im not the OP but ill be saving a LOT, around $190 a month after gas and insurance. and thats at todays gas prices. as they go up so will my savings. but, i expect the bike to pay for itself within 2 years. then everyday after that will be money in my pocket.[/quote]

Just curious again. What's the life cycle of a typical bike in this range you spoke of earlier?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Just curious again. What's the life cycle of a typical bike in this range you spoke of earlier?[/quote]

Life cycles are as long as you want them to last. Most of these engines are japanese, so they're on par with most other japanese quality vehicles. My bike currently has 12,000 miles on it and still runs like new. You'll see some of these bikes for sale with 30-40,000 miles, although resale value really wanes by then. Most people who have a bike with this mileage tend to hang on to them, which is why you wont see too many bikes with mileage above this.

However, it is not uncommon to see BMW's, Moto Guzzis, etc. last well close to 200,000 miles!:hot: As far as the common sportbike, engine rebuilds are too complicated and expensive on a japanese engine, so you should expect to see 50,000-100,000 before you're looking at a motor swap (if you really, really cant get rid of your bike) or buying another. Just like a car, the bike lasts as long as owner maintains is properly.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Paz, you talking about people wanting to send you a bike from another country? Like on eBay or something? I ask because there are some crazy scams going on through those channels. Most often the VIN number and entire auction is frauded and they'll ask for "western union money transfer".

I may have jumped to conclusions, but just be careful in those situations. There is never a reason for a seller not to accept Paypal on large purchases. And true freight for a motorcycle is not cheap, your looking at a couple thousand to get it across the pond and to a deliverable location.

Keep in mind cycletrader (the magazine) and craigslist are also good places to look.[/QUOTE]

ive been browsing cycletrader and craigslist heavily. i was commenting on how many ads ive inquired about have responded with offers to ship a bike from another country or from somewhere across the US for a killer price (theyre all scams) just amazing how many there are.

i wont buy a used bike without having it inspected.

i appreciate your input in this thread.

turns out i couldnt get the Buell i wanted so yesterday i bought a 08 suzuki gsx650f
GSX650FK8_BlackSilver_afb6b9.jpg

thats a nice bike. im pretty sure im putting a bike off until atleast august as ill be away for the summer until then.
the best deal i could find on the ex250r was $4400 otd theres no way im paying that much over msrp because demand is high and supply is low. so i started looking at used 600's and 650's just not seeing what i want for the price i want it for.

bread's done
Back