Anyone playing Toy Home?

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
After playing through about five or six tracks, I think I can rightfully say that this game needs alternate and traditional control schemes. The SixAxis controls just aren't cutting it. It feels very awkward, and I keep wanting to use the left analog stick to steer my vehicle.

The levels are very interesting and the physics are pretty fun, too. It's just all hampered down by the sluggish and slow-responsive SixAxis.

At first, I wanted to use the faster of the two cars, but I was all over the place and couldn't keep my car driving in a straight line. So I had to switch to the slower car, which is a little bit better but still isn't as good as traditional controls would have been.

This game is very frustrating.

Do the glass effects on the cars look a little weird? On my screen it looks like a weird checkerbored pattern.

I agree sixaxis is OK, but I wish for option of traditional controls.

I won't buy until they offer traditional controls.

Actually, the game just wouldn't feel the same IMO if there were traditional analog controls. The game is meant to feel floaty, and using the sticks would rid that feeling. If analog sticks were to be used, the game would probably need to be re-built (making it work). You still gotta use the SIXAXIS to shake the car anyway. What I do like about the SIXAXIS controls because they make controlling the toy cars feel more realistic (just like if I was controller a toy car as a kid).

Anyway, I actually really like the SIXAXIS controls in the game. There's no denying at first I struggled, but once you learn how to power brake and tilt the controller correctly (you gotta tilt it like you would in Warhawk/Blast Factor to work), it becomes very easy. The only thing that might be difficult is backing up since it's different. It's definitely one of my favorites on PSN (I played the demo a lot before I bought it).

But I will admit the game has a few issues. I wish there were more cars to select from (game only has two). I would like to be able to choose which level I want to play after I beat single player mode (and just play individual levels, not go through the entire game again). Lastly, the lag online is terrible (even with my good internet).

Not trying to sound evil, but those who are wishing for analog controls to be added....it probably will not happen (I figured that's why it took a while for us to get the game, but I guess not).

Someone in another thread said if you plug in a PS2 controller via USB adapter, you can play with the left analog stick. This is the only reason I might buy this game. There is absolutely no good reason why they couldn't allow you to play with the sticks, they very obviously are forcing you with "look how great SIXAXIS control is!" Except thats the reason no one's buying it.

Yeah, I think the game is OK. Mainly I got this for my wife. She initially was so-so on the controls, but once use to it, she loves it. Same with my 5-year old.

Not for everyone, but seems decent enough.

I played this (or at least tried to) for about 20 minutes. All I can say is, if you can justify the controls for this game, you're official not allowed to complain about any others. Unless my controller is wonky, the 6 axis is just not responsive enough for this game.

[quote name='pete5883']Someone in another thread said if you plug in a PS2 controller via USB adapter, you can play with the left analog stick. This is the only reason I might buy this game. There is absolutely no good reason why they couldn't allow you to play with the sticks, they very obviously are forcing you with "look how great SIXAXIS control is!" Except thats the reason no one's buying it.[/quote]

Hmm I might have to trythat since I have one of those.. Do you know though.. How do you bring up the PS menu as a PS2 controller does not have PS button?

[quote name='Maklershed']I played this (or at least tried to) for about 20 minutes. All I can say is, if you can justify the controls for this game, you're official not allowed to complain about any others. Unless my controller is wonky, the 6 axis is just not responsive enough for this game.[/QUOTE]To make a right turn, you gotta put the left side of the SIXAXIS up while the right side is down. To make a left turn, you gotta put the right side of the SIXAXIS up while the left side is down, kind of like you are controlling an airplane. When I first played the game, I tried playing it like the controller was a steering wheel and that does not work. I tried both my controllers and feels fine, just a matter of getting use to it. If anything, the controls are on the sensitive side for me. But to make a sharp turn though, you gotta use the power brake.

This is Game Republic who developed it, who usually uses the SIXAXIS in their games (like with Folklore).
[quote name='Sinistar']Hmm I might have to trythat since I have one of those.. Do you know though.. How do you bring up the PS menu as a PS2 controller does not have PS button?[/QUOTE]
The Pelican adapter has a PS Button. Otherwise, just unplug the controller and turn on a SIXAXIS to quit.

If I can get my USB camera working again on my PC, I will look into making a video (so people can see how the controls work more clearly, since it's tough to explain IMO).

[quote name='pete5883']Someone in another thread said if you plug in a PS2 controller via USB adapter, you can play with the left analog stick. This is the only reason I might buy this game. There is absolutely no good reason why they couldn't allow you to play with the sticks, they very obviously are forcing you with "look how great SIXAXIS control is!" Except thats the reason no one's buying it.[/quote]

I can confirm that this is not true. I just tried it out, and while the game allows you to navigate menus with the d-pad, you can't do so while steering a vehicle or use the analog sticks for anything. In the game, the d-pad is mapped to the game's map.

When trying to use the DualShock 2, you can use the buttons, but when you try to steer, the vehicle just wobbles back and forth.

Plus, if you flip the car over, which tends to happen quite often, you must shake the SIXAXIS to turn it over. Because, of course, you can't do that with the DualShock 2, you're like a dying, overturned turtle.

bread's done
Back