Anyone using 3rd party controllers?

Viper187

CAG Newbie
I'm curious if anyone has opinions on specific brands/models of non-microsoft controllers. I decided to order one of those new Hori ones for $35 at Amazon. I should have that Monday or Tuesday. The regular 360 controller has a pretty solid design, but the d-pad is worthless on fighting games, IMO. I need an old school d-pad to pull off those damn directional taps for moves on games like Streetfighter; not that there are many good fighting games anymore. I rented the PS3 version once and found it much easier to play with that controller. I just don't like the PS3 and Sony in general right now, so I buy 360 games when there's a choice.

Anyone tried other controllers? Got opinions? I'm kind of pissed the Datel one isn't available in black, myself. I would definitely have tried it first if it was. I had an N64 controller made by them (well, Interact at the time) that I absolutely loved. It was shaped almost like a PSX controller, but it worked incredibly well.

Kind of pisses me off the way these developers set controller configs in stone or only give you give you a few random layouts to pick from instead of just letting you set each button to what you want. I kept getting killed on FEAR/FEAR Files because of the damn remote grenades. Up selects grenade type and left/right allow you to lean. I'd lean out to shoot at someone and suddenly be putting my gun away to pull out the goddamn remote detonator because of that garbage d-pad. I got to the point where I refused to pick those up anymore, so when it scrolled grenade types unintentionally it wouldn't put my gun away on me.

The Madcatz SFIV fightpads are top notch. Grabbed one for SFIV and the arcade fighters, but I've gotten use out of it for other XBLA games. Best control pad available on 360 from what I've tried.

[quote name='aihuman']
Engadget has video on the Razer Xbox 360 controller.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/razer-hits-the-xbox-360-with-onza-controller-and-chimaera-headse/[/QUOTE]
Q3 2010, so maybe this summer? Sounds like I've found my next controller. I'm particularly curious as to what they're doing with the D-pad, apparently the one on the prototype is not the final product. They mentioned going with 4 discrete buttons "similar to playstation", but not exactly like it. Sounds like it'll be more precise for navigating menus but not so much for fighting games.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm thinking of picking up the new Razer 360 controller when it comes out, might be a while though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't wait for that controller. However, I don't know about the two programmable buttons between the triggers/bumpers...

Yeah, I just saw the Engadget video. It's pretty sexy. I wonder when it'll come out.

They need to make a similar controller for the PS3...

Last edited by a moderator:
That Razor controller sounds very nice. The 2 extra buttons will take a bit of time to get used to, but I imagine its for the best. Logitech does something similar with their gaming mice. They placed 2 extra buttons right next to where you place your thumb. Its an ingenious addition, and ever since buying one years ago, its now a must have for any gaming mouse I look at.

I really dislike having to push in the control sticks - very awkward, and requires a very deliberate press that feels like it stops any momentum a game had, so the Razor approach might be good, but I wouldn't know until I tried it. Having 6 shoulder buttons might be no better. Not sure. However what really kills me is the wire. I know that "pros" prefer a wired controller due to alleged lag, but I've never noticed lag from a wireless controller. I want a better controller with the features of the Razor, but I want it wireless. Oh well.

The Mad Catz Fight Sticks (SE version) have been on sale lately for ~$55...that may be a better option, if it's specifically for fighting games.

Also, the mod to fix the dpad on the 360 controller is VERY easy.

I was a little underwhelmed with the SFIV Madcatz pads. They aren't bad but I'm getting anxious to try that Hori pad.

The Razer one looks good but that's still a ways off.

I've used the madcatz SFIV fight pad, worked like a charm. I returned it though only because I upgraded to the TE fightstick...otherwise I would have kept it but the TE stick is...well madcatz also with l337 parts. my only quam with it was, because it's a wired controller, it felt so light in my hands due to the absence of electronics for a wireless feature/battery pack.

the razor looks pricey and my house already has too many additional plastic controllers.

Well, I like the Hori controller. It even has the piece in the cable that unplugs if pulled on like original Xbox controllers had. Feels pretty good. It has that extra set of LB/RB buttons so you can use them whichever way you prefer, which is a plus. I had to quit playing SF4 before I broke the damn thing though. Capcom is insane. I finally completed the crazy goals with Akuma to get the fight with Gouken for unlocking him, and the bastard spams me with Hadokens and kills me before I could even get a hit on him. I tried getting back to him a few times and I kept missing the first strikes or just got screwed by Seth. Piss on it.

I'm definitely looking forward to that Razer controller too.

[quote name='crunchewy']I really dislike having to push in the control sticks - very awkward, and requires a very deliberate press that feels like it stops any momentum a game had, so the Razor approach might be good, but I wouldn't know until I tried it. Having 6 shoulder buttons might be no better. Not sure. However what really kills me is the wire. I know that "pros" prefer a wired controller due to alleged lag, but I've never noticed lag from a wireless controller. I want a better controller with the features of the Razor, but I want it wireless. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the stick buttons can be really annoying in some games.

bread's done
Back