Anyone work for BestBuy?

sasukekun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
120 (100%)
Had a quick question for anyone who has worked or is currently working for BestBuy.

I went to buy a Amazon GC today, and when I was checking out, the cashier hit a button on the pinpad asking if I was going to be paying with my BestBuy card today. She didnt even ask me if I was, just reached over, and hit "Yes" for me. I didnt actually use my BestBuy card to pay for the giftcard, but I thought it was strange. When I do shop there, the cashiers usually ask me to click the option myself, since it should be my choice.

Are they legally allowed to do that? Or is there some sort of quota they have to meet? Should I inform the store manager?

Didnt pay using the BB card. If I didnt have exactly the amount I used to pay for the Amazon GC, if it would have used my BB card to pay the remainder.

Basically, authorizing the charge on my BB card without my consent (since the cashier clicked on "yes" for me.)

Did you just stare silently and continue about your day or did you speak up and ask the cashier what they're doing?

[quote name='Temporaryscars']So wait...you can buy Amazon gift cards from Best Buy using Best Buy gift cards?! No wonder they're going out of business...[/QUOTE]

Yah, they sell Amazon Kindle cards, which are the same exact thing as regular Amazon gift cards.

[quote name='Scorch']Did you just stare silently and continue about your day or did you speak up and ask the cashier what they're doing?[/QUOTE]

Just continued on with my day since I paid exact change.

[quote name='confoosious']But don't you need to sign?[/QUOTE]

Didnt need to sign anything.

I have a crazy idea, why not look at your receipt and tell us what it says before you get too crazy about it.

It's probably just easier to ring up the BB giftcard as credit when doing transaction and it's not something I'd worry about. Chances are that it's more a force of habit to ask.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']So wait...you can buy Amazon gift cards from Best Buy using Best Buy gift cards?! No wonder they're going out of business...[/QUOTE]
They're not going out of business because they're losing money and are profitless; they're going out of business because they want to squeeze more profit from their existing model instead of using their profits to improve service from the bottom up.

These retail corporations that bitch about losing money aren't really losing money at all. They're bitching about either not meeting increasing quarterly goals despite still turning a very good profit. Perfect most recent example was Kmart closing down a bunch of stores despite making over $1B net profit for the year.

Also, Best Buy doesn't sell Amazon gift cards, but Kindle gift cards that just so happen to work on non-Kindle items. It's more like Amazon is exploiting that loophole than anything else.

[quote name='dohdough']They're not going out of business because they're losing money and are profitless; they're going out of business because they want to squeeze more profit from their existing model instead of using their profits to improve service from the bottom up.

These retail corporations that bitch about losing money aren't really losing money at all. They're bitching about either not meeting increasing quarterly goals despite still turning a very good profit. Perfect most recent example was Kmart closing down a bunch of stores despite making over $1B net profit for the year.

Also, Best Buy doesn't sell Amazon gift cards, but Kindle gift cards that just so happen to work on non-Kindle items. It's more like Amazon is exploiting that loophole than anything else.[/QUOTE]

Do you know how to read a financial statement?

[quote name='sasukekun']Just continued on with my day since I paid exact change.[/QUOTE]

Learn to speak up. A simple "what are you doing?" would've sufficed.

[quote name='dohdough']They're not going out of business because they're losing money and are profitless; they're going out of business because they want to squeeze more profit from their existing model instead of using their profits to improve service from the bottom up.

Also, Best Buy doesn't sell Amazon gift cards, but Kindle gift cards that just so happen to work on non-Kindle items. It's more like Amazon is exploiting that loophole than anything else.[/QUOTE]

Link? I see a $34 million dollar loss on the year ending jan 2012. SHC lost 1.5B dollars.

Where are you getting your info?

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe the cashier meant to hit no and accidentally hit yes. I've hit "yes" when asked if I wanted to use my card and I still have to physically swipe it.

This whole thread perplexes me.

In order to put something on your best buy card, you'd actually have to swipe your BB card right? So if the op didn't present his BB card, then what is the problem?

And if he did present his BB card, he'd still have to sign for it of it was charged right?

This whole thread makes no sense. I suspect the cashier said "would you like to put this on your BB card?" in the sense that it's a marketing question. As in "sign up now!"

And hit confirm for the info for the Rz stuff.

There's no way an employee can put something on your BB card without you giving your BB card.

[quote name='confoosious']This whole thread perplexes me.

In order to put something on your best buy card, you'd actually have to swipe your BB card right? So if the op didn't present his BB card, then what is the problem?

And if he did present his BB card, he'd still have to sign for it of it was charged right?

This whole thread makes no sense. I suspect the cashier said "would you like to put this on your BB card?" in the sense that it's a marketing question. As in "sign up now!"

And hit confirm for the info for the Rz stuff.

There's no way an employee can put something on your BB card without you giving your BB card.[/QUOTE]

I already had the card from last year, it's their in-store financing card, not the BestBuy credit card. The cashier didnt ask me anything, she just asked how I was going to pay (which I used a BB GC with exact change on it).

[quote name='lehviput']I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe the cashier meant to hit no and accidentally hit yes. I've hit "yes" when asked if I wanted to use my card and I still have to physically swipe it.[/QUOTE]
I'm not worrying about it. It's just the fact that she just reached over and hit yes for me, without my consent.

All I'm trying to figure out is if people who have the BestBuy Financing card, if the employees have a certain quota to get those people to use their card.

The employees don't have a quota. It just gets frustrating having to wait for dipshits to figure out a touchscreen with two options. Especially when you just explained what they had to do next.

Yeah I'm pretty sure with that logic then Wal-Mart, Target, and grocery stores are going "out of business" since I've seen Amazon gift cards there too.

:wall:

[quote name='JJSP']Many stores won't require a signature if the purchase is under $25. Maybe it's that.[/QUOTE]

But you still have to present the card. "just put it on my tab!" doesn't fly anymore.

[quote name='confoosious']Link? I see a $34 million dollar loss on the year ending jan 2012. SHC lost 1.5B dollars.

Where are you getting your info?[/QUOTE]
Forbes. "Operating at a loss" is different from a "loss in profits." Most media outlets tend to incorrectly use the latter for the former, while investors see "loss" and shit their pants. If either companies were truly operating at a loss, they would've been liquidated way before it ever got to that point.

Best Buy: http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/CashFlows.jsp?tkr=BBY

Sears: http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/CashFlows.jsp?tkr=SHLD

If you look at the net income for Best Buy between 2010 and 2011, you can see where your $30+ million comes from. My number for Sears was wrong because I was going from memory, but they still had a net profit of $150 million. The tricky part is that Best Buy actually had more revenue between 2010 and 2011, $450 million in matter of fact, while Sears had a revenue drop of $1.3 billion in the same time period.

Instead of taking what you read about these companies at face value, you need to learn how to read between the lines and see how they're wording things. The royal "you;" not you personally. Also, seeing how the stock value react to the market is not a reflection of how profitable a company is. Generally when media outlets start talking about "losses," that means that the people running the company want to cash the fucker out and leave every one else high and dry.

edit: Just re-read the OP. LOLZ at my reading comprehension. I thought she actually asked you and pressed it anyways.

So the cashier didn't ask if you wanted to use a credit card, but hit "YES" on the touchpad? That means she processed your Best Buy gift card as a credit card. You're getting yourself worked up over nothing and has nothing to do with putting it on your Best Buy credit card or anything else. Not sure why you're feeling so slighted by it and it's kinda immature that you are. I buy Kindle cards all the time splitting it between BB gift cards and an actual credit card. Never had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me, I know how to read a financial statement.

I didn't say a thing about Best Buy. I am talking about SHC, specifically kmart, and so were you: " Perfect most recent example was Kmart closing down a bunch of stores despite making over $1B net profit for the year."

There's a big difference between a "over $1B net profit" as you claimed and a $34M loss. Even if you screwed the number based on faulty memory, you're still wrong about them closing stores despite being profitable. No matter how you slice it, there was no profit for kmart. They lost money and had to shut down stores.

:roll:

[quote name='confoosious']Trust me, I know how to read a financial statement.[/quote]
Yeah...that's nice. Good thing I already covered that with the "royal you; not you personally" part of my post.

I didn't say a thing about Best Buy. I am talking about SHC, specifically kmart, and so were you: " Perfect most recent example was Kmart closing down a bunch of stores despite making over $1B net profit for the year."
When I saw the thread title, I was thinking about Best Buy restructuring and laying off a couple thousand workers that was in the news last week. Total brain fart on my part with that one.

There's a big difference between a "over $1B net profit" as you claimed and a $34M loss. Even if you screwed the number based on faulty memory, you're still wrong about them closing stores despite being profitable. No matter how you slice it, there was no profit for kmart. They lost money and had to shut down stores.
Welp. I posted my source. Where's yours?

Right back at'cha buddy.

[quote name='confoosious']Unlike you I don't just pull numbers out of my ass. I'll find it for you when I get home.[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...yeah, you just pull a lot of other things out of yours.:booty:

Anyways, don't bother. I just pulled up the 2011 Annual Report and considering the operating loss of $34 million, they sure did go out of their way to get it there. If it makes you happy and helps you feel like you won the argument, your numbers are right and mine are wrong, but it's a superficial victory when my point about they got there still stands. Enough of the derail though, so just call me an asshole when/if you want to post a source in your next post and let's call it even.:cool:

I love how you can be wrong as shit ("over $1B net profit") and still be a condescending douche.

How exactly did they "go out of their way to get there?"

The $34M loss is pretty close to "real" as there are no one time charges or anything in that figure. Your point has no basis at all. What part of their selling and administrative expenses do you consider to be funny?

http://www.searsholdings.com/pubrel/pressOne.jsp?id=s16310_item122417

I love how you can also admit to being wrong, then at the same time, pretend to be right.

[quote name='confoosious']I love how you can be wrong as shit ("over $1B net profit") and still be a condescending douche.[/QUOTE]
Not exactly "asshole," but I'll take it.:lol:

The number is wrong, but my argument and my reasoning is sound. Evidence is in the Annual Report. I'm sorry if I don't remember the exact details of 7 month old news.:roll:

How exactly did they "go out of their way to get there?"

The $34M loss is pretty close to "real" as there are no one time charges or anything in that figure. Your point has no basis at all. What part of their selling and administrative expenses do you consider to be funny?
I'd say that the cost of liquidating stores and staff was a pretty big bunch of one time charges that prevented profitability. Not to mention a $15 million Impairment Charge. It's right there in the 2011 Annual Report to the SEC starting on page 31.

http://www.searsholdings.com/pubrel/pressOne.jsp?id=s16310_item122417

I love how you can also admit to being wrong, then at the same time, pretend to be right.
HAHAHAHA...a press release is your source? I wonder what the "pubrel" stands for in the url!

Again, your point is superficial because you're not really looking at why it didn't see a profit to begin with as you'd rather have a gotcha moment, which is understandable. My point is that the lack of profit isn't a result of the status quo unless you consider closing stores the standard operating procedure for a profitable company looking to increase profits without improving products/services, which have all sorts of unintended costs and consequences.

tl;dr: I'm saying that you're mistaking the forest for the trees, man. Either way, I'm done with this, so whatevs.

[quote name='dohdough']

HAHAHAHA...a press release is your source? I wonder what the "pubrel" stands for in the url!
.[/QUOTE]

Because you're totally allowed to make up financial numbers in a corporate press release. :roll:

Are you fucking kidding me? No wonder why everyone in the vs forum hates you. You're an idiot yet you think you have the high ground. ("ohhh herpppp there's a pubrel in the url so I must be right! DEERRPP.")

The numbers in that "press release" that you scoff at are directly from Sears Holding Company. Apparently you don't know shit about finance because you would know they aren't allowed to HAHAHAHAH make them up. Yes, they are "unaudited and subject to change" but they've been gone over about 1000 times already because finance people don't like to look like idiots to analysts.

What a ridiculous person you are. Hey, maybe you can blame the Koreans in LA for this issue too. I heard they made over $1B in net profit last year! (see, I can make up numbers whenever I want just like you!)

yeah, you're "done with this" because you're wrong.

edit: I realize your whole raison d'etre is to rile people up so as far as that's concerned, good job!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back