APB - Free Beta Keys - MMORPG

Eh-- $9.99 a month is cheaper than the current standard, but the gameplay needs polish before I consider putting down real money for it.

I'll wait to see how much in-game money it takes to purchase hours before I give up on it. It does piss me off though that they said they wouldn't be doing traditional monthly fees. Guess that went out the window.

According to the FAQ, which was posted without fanfare, APB will cost $50 in the US, £35 in the UK, and €50 in the rest of Europe. The developer quotes 50 hours of gameplay out of the box, plus unlimited access to the game's social district and marketplace.

Additional time can be purchased using the virtual currency RTW points, which will be available in-game or from the Realtime Worlds website. The price of points will range from £4 ($5, €4.50) for 200 points to £52 ($65, €58.50) for 2600 points. 20 hours of gametime will cost 280 points (£5.59, $7, €6.29).

More frequent players also have the option of purchasing 30-day unlimited packages for 400 RTW points (£8, $10, €9), with further discounts promised for 90 and 180-day purchases. The retail box will also contain a bonus 100 RTW points, which can be converted to in-game cash to purchase objects, customisations, or more game time. Players can also sell their own custom creations to friends, clan-mates, and via the marketplace to earn more RTW points.

So if I got it right

You buy the game for $50 and you get 50 hours with it.
Once you roll over 50 hours, you have the choice of paying $7 for 20 more hours or paying $10 for a 30-day unlimited package.

Just an FYI, there's a closed beta session now going for the Sharp Shooters (people who received their key after 4/1 aka us) until 1pm on Friday (central time). Link

I'm going to try and get a few hours in before then. Not sure if we'll get another chance to play this much before release.

just uninstalled myself. no use for a game with a "pay for time" setup.

i think they're really gonna be hurting with this game. the amount of money it cost to make is ridiculous, yet there is 0 hype for it.

Here’s your Key to the City: NALDN-GEKCV-YG7UP-NGE46-3XCVH

Realtime Worlds are excited to announce that the Key to the City event starts this week. To celebrate, we’re giving you your own key, so you can be a part of the action!
Below, you’ll find your key. This entitles you to unlimited Social District access, and five hours of Action District time as part of our pre-launch event. All you need to do to redeem the key and jump into San Paro, is head over to https://na.realtimeworlds.com/account/create/account and create your account.
Once you’ve created your account, you’ll need to download the latest version of the APB client, which can be found here: http://na.apb.com/downloads/na-installerMS
Here’s your Key to the City: NALDN-GEKCV-YG7UP-NGE46-3XCVH
You can head onto the mean streets of San Paro whenever you’re ready. Once your five action-packed hours are up, you can jump into the Social District and meet other players. Why not check out the expression suites, where you can customize your character, modify your ride or even create music to torment your victims?
Don’t forget if you want to continue to have fun in APB once the Key to the City is over, you’ll need to pick up a copy of the game. You can pre-order over on store.apb.com, where you’ll receive a ten hour head start, before the final game goes live.
If you have any problems creating your account or downloading APB, you can drop a mail to our support team, using [email protected], who’ll be more than happy to help.
See you on the streets of San Paro!

-The APB Team

I pre-ordered this with some buddies. There isn't a ton of content in the game, but we all needed some sort of time sink for the summer, so it looks like this is it.

Game would be a lot better if it had content. Right now it's just the same missions over and over and thats all you can do. Not worth a monthly fee, not when you can play GTA4 or RDR multi and get more stuff.

Bumping this because the people on the official APB forums are complete morons.

They just recently shut down one of the servers to fix and issue where a few people were unable to login to the game. Prior to shutting down, they gave a FIVE MINUTE notice that the servers would go offline. Am I the only one who finds that unacceptable considering most missions take around 10 minutes?

Even if you don't play the game, you have to agree that that is pretty shitty, right? Everyone on the APB forums seems to think I'm a whiner because I find only giving five minutes notice not enough time to finish what you're doing.

[quote name='SEH']Bumping this because the people on the official APB forums are complete morons.

They just recently shut down one of the servers to fix and issue where a few people were unable to login to the game. Prior to shutting down, they gave a FIVE MINUTE notice that the servers would go offline. Am I the only one who finds that unacceptable considering most missions take around 10 minutes?

Even if you don't play the game, you have to agree that that is pretty shitty, right? Everyone on the APB forums seems to think I'm a whiner because I find only giving five minutes notice not enough time to finish what you're doing.[/QUOTE]

I thought you gave up on this game?

[quote name='Megazell']I thought you gave up on this game?[/QUOTE]

I gave up on the beta when that giant patch came out. On the last page I posted that my friends and I decided to pick this up despite the lack of content since we wanted something to play together over the course of the summer.

[quote name='SEH']I gave up on the beta when that giant patch came out. On the last page I posted that my friends and I decided to pick this up despite the lack of content since we wanted something to play together over the course of the summer.[/QUOTE]

Well. Many MMOs do that. They either give 5, 10 or 15 minutes notice if it's some short notice repairs that need to be made. That is outside of their schedule maintenance that usually posted on their site or forum.

That's just the nature of the beast. It's a minor issue.

If you really don't like it cast a vote with your dollar.

As always I will be there when it's F2P.

Every MMO I've ever played has given 20-30 minutes notice if they're going to temporarily shut a server down for unscheduled maintenance. Five minutes is totally amateur shit in my opinion. I get that they want to help those out who are having issues, but in the process they're screwing over those of us who were in the middle of the game.

As for casting my vote with my dollar, I likely will be done with the game after my 50 hours are up, as will my friends. The game is plagued with cheaters (ugh @ PB) and too much inconsistency for our liking. I really hope they can get some decent patches out there to make the game more enjoyable since I really want to like it, but I sadly dont see that happening any time soon.

[quote name='SEH']Every MMO I've ever played has given 20-30 minutes notice if they're going to temporarily shut a server down for unscheduled maintenance. Five minutes is totally amateur shit in my opinion. I get that they want to help those out who are having issues, but in the process they're screwing over those of us who were in the middle of the game.

As for casting my vote with my dollar, I likely will be done with the game after my 50 hours are up, as will my friends. The game is plagued with cheaters (ugh @ PB) and too much inconsistency for our liking. I really hope they can get some decent patches out there to make the game more enjoyable since I really want to like it, but I sadly dont see that happening any time soon.[/QUOTE]

I played City Of Heroes for quite a bit - 4 years on and off - They had short notices quite a few times.

One of the most memorable moments was when a bug was found in issue 6 that allowed people to reach max influence - 2 billion at the time - (game currency) in less than 3 minutes. Servers were shut down in 5 minutes rebooted with a minor patch.

Anarchy Online and Lord Of The Rings did the same thing for me during my experience with them on the free trial periods...back when they were pay to play.

This game is a piece of shit. It's a bad GTA knockoff that enables massive amounts of griefing, and has a playerbase (currently) filled with 90% whiny children.

[quote name='georox']This game is a piece of shit. It's a bad GTA knockoff that enables massive amounts of griefing, and has a playerbase (currently) filled with 90% whiny children.[/QUOTE]

The playerbase is pretty awful. I've come in contact with a few cool people that are fun to play with, but the majority of the players are douchebag griefers and cheaters. People obviously aimbotting, driving around in cars doing nothing but running into those trying to complete missions, and people who join your group just to go AFK and fuck up your missions since you'll get more people sent against you because your group is bigger (yes, you can kick them, but 99% of the time kicking them does not work).

I think the game is alright, but I dont think it has a lot of longevity. I find myself playing now just to unlock new stuff for customizing. I've played quite a bit and still have a moderate amount of clothing and cars to unlock, however, I really think that they need to start adding new content ASAP because once you unlock all that stuff, there is literally nothing to play for. If they don't start adding new stuff very soon, I think in about a month more and more people will realize that and stop playing.

Couldn't see myself spending 50 bones on something I'll only play a few months. Good PC games are hard enough to come by as is without wasting cash.

[quote name='redshadow']couldn't see myself spending 50 bones on something i'll only play a few months. Good pc games are hard enough to come by as is without wasting cash.[/quote]

qft!

The patch they had to implement yesterday for those who couldn't login has totally ruined the game. It now makes your PC lock-up when you exit out of APB (to the point where you need to do a hard restart) and the game is also now 1000x more laggy. Good job RTW.

[quote name='SEH']The patch they had to implement yesterday for those who couldn't login has totally ruined the game. It now makes your PC lock-up when you exit out of APB (to the point where you need to do a hard restart) and the game is also now 1000x more laggy. Good job RTW.[/QUOTE]

Should have not messed with them after that botchy beta plus their 'f2p' shenanigans. I saw this unprofessional-ism coming a mile away.

I didn't mind the beta. My friends and I actually had a fun time playing it then. At that time though, I dont believe there were many, if any cheats out. About a week prior to launch tons of hacks hit the web and it's been downhill since. That's seriously the biggest issue with the game. Like every mission we go on, there is at least one totally blatant aimbotter.

Sadly, the game uses PB, so the likelihood of cheaters being dealt with is slim to none.

I am interested in this game but what I want t know is how the free play works. Is it truly free to play or is there some sort of hidden fee somewhere?
Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Spyder187']I am interested in this game but what I want t know is how the free play works. Is it truly free to play or is there some sort of hidden fee somewhere?
Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

It's not at all F2P...

It's F2P if you're able to make stuff and sell it for tons of RTW points. You can then use those RTW points to purchase hours. So, if you put tons of time and effort in, you can make the game F2P, but it's definitely not worth it. Plus, nobody really buys stuff that costs RTW points, they just use the in-game currency, so actually accumulating enough RTW points to buy hours would be a pain.

The game sucks anyways, dont waste your time and money.

bread's done
Back