Apparently FYE throws out their old games

bvharris

CAGiversary!
Feedback
211 (100%)
I had a very annoying experience at FYE last night that I thought I'd share:

I was at the mall to pick up a couple of GBA games at Gamestop with this week's coupon, and there's a FYE there as well. I usually don't like FYE but I've gotten a few good things there so I figured I'd check it out. Predictably, nothing approaching tempting.. Until I got to the PS2 section. Sitting right there on the rack is a new in box (though the outer cardboard box was open) copy of the anniversary edition of Wild Arms 5, marked at $18, a game I've been looking to pick up for a while. I know its by no means rare, but I was still surprised to see it in FYE of all places, and it's a game I've wanted since I have all the others. Naturally, I bought it.

So while I was waiting on my girlfriend to try on clothes (I'm sure we've all been there) I open up the package to flip through the very nice artbook. I take a peek in the game case itself and.. no disc! I quickly remember that FYE often stores their games in sleeves behind the counter, so I go back and present my receipt and ask for the disc. The clerk looks around back there for like 15 minutes, including a call to the manager, and can't find it. I didn't see anything marked as PS2 games, though they seemed to have plenty of cases on the shelf.

So as he's processing my refund I quickly go into "what are you going to do with the case?" mode, since I figure I can get the disc elsewhere. He wouldn't budge, even after answering in the affirmative when I asked if they were just going to throw it out eventually.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide further anecdotal evidence of why FYE sucks as a videogame retailer. Or maybe I'm just upset at myself that I didn't at least take the artbook out before I returned it, since he never would have known the difference.

So my local FYE still had Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and F-Zero Maximum Velocity for full 2001 MSRP through early this year, and the reason I don't see them now is probably not that they marked them down and sold them but rather that they simply threw them out?

fucking morons. I would have totally bought them if they weren't $30 each.

[quote name='Chuplayer']So my local FYE still had Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and F-Zero Maximum Velocity for full 2001 MSRP through early this year, and the reason I don't see them now is probably not that they marked them down and sold them but rather that they simply threw them out?

fucking morons. I would have totally bought them if they weren't $30 each.[/QUOTE]

Uh... he said he bought the disc, checked it and no disc. They were going to throw away the empty case.

As for the OP... you gotta remember employees and management at these stores differ. This is why some people love their local gamestops, etc. and others won't go into them. Plus, try and look at it from their perspective. You bought a game, left and returned it. They obviously didn't think you stole it, but why give you he empty case? I understand where you're coming from, I think most CAGers do, but you gotta look at their way as well, I think. Also if it wasn't management, management may have wanted to see it. They may have wanted to check against security cameras, etc.

Also, I don't see how stuff like this can sour some on stores. Sure, I've appreciated the handouts I've gotten from stores like empty VHS cases, NES sleeves, promotional stuff that fell out off, etc. but I don't expect them to give them to me. If it's not something I'm willing to pay for, it's their right to throw it away. Just like it's anyone's right to throw away their old stuff instead of spending time/money taking them to a thrift store or holding a yard sale.

I just don't understand the hate over petty stuff like this. And if you really want it... find if dumpster diving is legal in your area and then make sure they don't lock their dumpsters at night.

[quote name='pyoobez']Uh... he said he bought the disc, checked it and no disc. They were going to throw away the empty case.

As for the OP... you gotta remember employees and management at these stores differ. This is why some people love their local gamestops, etc. and others won't go into them. Plus, try and look at it from their perspective. You bought a game, left and returned it. They obviously didn't think you stole it, but why give you he empty case? I understand where you're coming from, I think most CAGers do, but you gotta look at their way as well, I think. Also if it wasn't management, management may have wanted to see it. They may have wanted to check against security cameras, etc.

Also, I don't see how stuff like this can sour some on stores. Sure, I've appreciated the handouts I've gotten from stores like empty VHS cases, NES sleeves, promotional stuff that fell out off, etc. but I don't expect them to give them to me. If it's not something I'm willing to pay for, it's their right to throw it away. Just like it's anyone's right to throw away their old stuff instead of spending time/money taking them to a thrift store or holding a yard sale.

I just don't understand the hate over petty stuff like this. And if you really want it... find if dumpster diving is legal in your area and then make sure they don't lock their dumpsters at night.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you honestly couldn't have misread my tone more if you'd tried. Your response seems to imply that I stood there like a petulant child demanding that I be given the case. I asked the guy if I could have it, even offering to pay something for it. He said no, I asked if they were just going to throw it out eventually. He said yes to that, I asked again, he said no, and that was the extent of it. I don't appreciate your implication that I somehow felt I was entitled to something. There was no point during the exchange when I didn't "see it from their perspective", I had no expectation he would actually give it to me, but it was worth asking, as you pointed out most CAGs would.

As for whether someone else had stolen it, it seemed clear to me that they had been keeping some of their PS2 discs behind the counter and had cleared out their stock, since this guy couldn't find any PS2 games back there. So when I was talking about "throwing away their games", yes, I did mean the disc and not the case, though ultimately they'll be throwing away the whole thing.

And yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious fact that management differs from store to store, I couldn't have pieced that one together on my own.

Honestly, some people on here feel like they need to treat everyone like they're a 13 year old with an out of control sense of entitlement. I'm an adult, I don't "hate" FYE because of something, yes, petty. I was just sharing an anecdote I thought some might find interesting, the conclusion I drew from it being "FYE sucks". But if it will make you happy I can amend my statement to "my FYE sucks".

[quote name='bvharris']Wow, you honestly couldn't have misread my tone more if you'd tried. Your response seems to imply that I stood there like a petulant child demanding that I be given the case. I asked the guy if I could have it, even offering to pay something for it. He said no, I asked if they were just going to throw it out eventually. He said yes to that, I asked again, he said no, and that was the extent of it. I don't appreciate your implication that I somehow felt I was entitled to something. There was no point during the exchange when I didn't "see it from their perspective", I had no expectation he would actually give it to me, but it was worth asking, as you pointed out most CAGs would.

As for whether someone else had stolen it, it seemed clear to me that they had been keeping some of their PS2 discs behind the counter and had cleared out their stock, since this guy couldn't find any PS2 games back there. So when I was talking about "throwing away their games", yes, I did mean the disc and not the case, though ultimately they'll be throwing away the whole thing.

And yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious fact that management differs from store to store, I couldn't have pieced that one together on my own.

Honestly, some people on here feel like they need to treat everyone like they're a 13 year old with an out of control sense of entitlement. I'm an adult, I don't "hate" FYE because of something, yes, petty. I was just sharing an anecdote I thought some might find interesting, the conclusion I drew from it being "FYE sucks". But if it will make you happy I can amend my statement to "my FYE sucks".[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't read into the part where you said you offered to pay for it. I guess that was covered in "what are you going to do with the case?" mode, so you can probably see the confusion.

Also, I wasn't implying you were acting like a child for wanting it, I apologize if it came out that way. I know plenty of people that ask for stuff like this all the time. Personally, I don't. I don't care if people do, most of my friends will. I just still don't get how it can drive people to bother writing stuff like this up, over petty stuff. Then again, I'm as Type B personality as they come.

And in my opinion, whatever the employee said, I don't buy they're throwing the disc itself away. Which again, you didn't really imply in the first post. Case or not, someone was taking it home or unloading the disc at a Gamestop or ebay or something (or already did if the disc wasn't already stolen).

Finally, I'll admit I do get a bit defensive about fye. They're one of my preferred stores, as I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with them over the years and walked away with some insane deals. I should probably note, as well, that when discussing fye with friends online that a good bit don't seem to be as nice as the one I go to.

While I've occasionally found a few things at Fye that I can't find elsewhere, I always found most of their prices to be MUCH higher than Best Buy for common DVDs and the local used selection is awful. It got to the point that I will simply no longer waste the time to go in because they never have anything I want anyway.

Though I did once find the Scarface ultra-deluxe DVD boxset there for $20 on clearance. I bought it only because it had the 1932 Paul Muni original on DVD as a bonus. I couldn't care less about the Pacino "remake". Shame the studio won't release the original on DVD and sell it on its own, guess they can't risk offending all the rappers that hold the remake in high regard by selling the original in a means people can still buy.

I'm surprised they don't penny out stuff anymore. Earlier this year I picked up 2 new copies of Everquest Online Adventures for PS2 for a penny each.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I'm surprised they don't penny out stuff anymore. Earlier this year I picked up 2 new copies of Everquest Online Adventures for PS2 for a penny each.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I picked up 2 copies at two seperate FYE stores. Thing is, they do penny guides still, I think. Although, a majority of guides are now $9.99 @ FYE stores, including the Mirror's Edge hardcover one.

i got perfect dark for game boy color for 50 cents. And i was just wondering, where does FYE get their used games? Do people trade them in? If so do they take retro games? Just wondring

Yeah, the local used selection is pretty solid here... and it's all about the sales at fye, for me at least. I hit them up when GBA games were 50% off and snagged Final Fight One for $5.

bread's done
Back