Apple ADC student membership hardware discount?

[quote name='ejdge']My friend mentioned this to me but I'm a bit skeptical. He sound the 1 time hardware discount you get from this is over $300. Can anyone verify this? I'm looking to purchase a macbook pro very soon and yes, I am a student. Thanks.

http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that particular membership, but if you are in any school from K-12 to university your savings varies, but on macbook pros I can save anywhere from 200 bucks on up as an elementary school teacher.

your school will already get you the discount through apple... with ADC, you have to pay $100 for the ability to save (about 20%, i believe) on one computer... in the end, it's about a wash. you might as well just go with the student discount.

[quote name='zenintrude']your school will already get you the discount through apple... with ADC, you have to pay $100 for the ability to save (about 20%, i believe) on one computer... in the end, it's about a wash. you might as well just go with the student discount.[/quote]

In the end you're still saving about $100 more dollars than the education discount AND you will most likely receive Leopard for free a little while after it comes out.

That is student developer discount. You have to send in to Apple your educational transcript in order to be able to be approved for it. Basically, if you are not a Computer Science major, you probably won't get approval.

[quote name='b3b0p']That is student developer discount. You have to send in to Apple your educational transcript in order to be able to be approved for it. Basically, if you are not a Computer Science major, you probably won't get approval.[/quote]

Not true, you do not have to be a particular major to be approved. You only have to fax in a semester schedule and a copy of your student ID to prove that you are a student.

I did it. It is called the student developer discount for a reason. It is the $500 developer package for an educational discount. When I did it, years ago, they were restrictive on who could get it. I was a CS major and do all my development and programming on Macs.

[quote name='b3b0p']I did it. It is called the student developer discount for a reason. It is the $500 developer package for an educational discount. When I did it, years ago, they were restrictive on who could get it. I was a CS major and do all my development and programming on Macs.[/quote]
$500 developers package? The only thing $500 is ADC select and that still only has 1 hardware discount just like the ADC student version for $100.

"If you are 18 years of age or older and enrolled in a college or university, the ADC Student Membership provides the tools and resources you need to take your development skills to the next level."

Nowhere in their terms does it state that you have to have a specific major. Many people have done this no problem.

[quote name='dastly75']$500 developers package? The only thing $500 is ADC select and that still only has 1 hardware discount just like the ADC student version for $100.

"If you are 18 years of age or older and enrolled in a college or university, the ADC Student Membership provides the tools and resources you need to take your development skills to the next level."

Nowhere in their terms does it state that you have to have a specific major. Many people have done this no problem.[/quote]
That's what I said, the student ADC membership for $99, is basically the $500 ADC membership. 1 hardware discount is standard, yes.

They could have changed the terms since I did it (years ago). I'm not arguing. I'm just explaining what it was like when I did it. They required my transcript, full, with declared major and student verification, and iirc must be enrolled in at least 1 CS/Engineering course at the time.

Although, when I did it, my discount on a single Powerbook was over $700 and it was right around 33%+ off. The $300 mentioned above doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. It might just be cheaper to get it from someplace like Amazon, J&R, Buy.com, Small Dog, etc.. that don't charge tax.

bread's done
Back