Apple ipad

[quote name='Alcedes']i swore i'd wait till the 2nd gen, but ended up pre-ordering the 3g version.. My new rationalization is that this one will be passed on to my daughter (only she's currently 14months old) ;-)[/QUOTE]

I have a 3 year old and she loves it. There are some great coloring apps and simple games. She was even clicking the suns for me when I was playing plants vs zombies. I also have tons of dissney digital copies on it.

After some more playing around with the iPad, the only major drawback my girlfriend and I see is just being locked to iTunes and not having a file/folder system on the iPad.

For instance, to get PDFs from your pc into the good reader program you have to hook up the iPad go into iTunes, go into the apps section, find Goodreader and drag it into it's section and it will appear.

That's no terrible, but that only puts it in Goodreader. Currently there's not a way to open that file in another pdf program--maybe you can search for it through that program etc. Would be great if there was a file management system on the iPad and you could go to "open" in apps and look for your files etc. As well as just being able to drag and drop files into those folders when you hook up the ipad to the PC.

Getting pictures on it is a pain too. You pretty much have to make a folder for photos you want to sync to the iPad, put subfolders in it and that will generate albums in the iPad Photo app when it syncs.

If you synch a different folder of photos, it will delete any photos on the iPad from previous synchs of other folders.

There's probably work arounds, and I'm sure a lot of it is just the learning curve since neither my g/f nor I are Apple users.

But some of that stuff seems needless complex/limiting vs. putting a slightly more robust operating system on it and just allowing drag and drop for putting photos, pdfs etc. on the iPad.

That aside, as I outlined above it's a very slick and impressive device once you get your content on it.

It certainly reaffirmed for me that I 100% want a tablet device. I'll just wait a while and make sure the iPad is the tablet device for me and let some more apps come out for it, some Android tablets come out etc. so I can make an informed decision.

[quote name='dmaul1114']After some more playing around with the iPad, the only major drawback my girlfriend and I see is just being locked to iTunes and not having a file/folder system on the iPad.

Getting pictures on it is a pain too. You pretty much have to make a folder for photos you want to sync to the iPad, put subfolders in it and that will generate albums in the iPad Photo app when it syncs.

If you synch a different folder of photos, it will delete any photos on the iPad from previous synchs of other folders.

There's probably work arounds, and I'm sure a lot of it is just the learning curve since neither my g/f nor I are Apple users.

But some of that stuff seems needless complex/limiting vs. putting a slightly more robust operating system on it and just allowing drag and drop for putting photos, pdfs etc. on the iPad.

That aside, as I outlined above it's a very slick and impressive device once you get your content on it.

It certainly reaffirmed for me that I 100% want a tablet device. I'll just wait a while and make sure the iPad is the tablet device for me and let some more apps come out for it, some Android tablets come out etc. so I can make an informed decision.[/QUOTE]

I saw Apple sells a dock-to-USB connector for transferring photos from cameras. I'm not sure what the iPad OS limitations are for transferring other media though. How easy is it to rip a DVD to it for viewing later? Does it all have to be done through iTunes?

[quote name='keithp']I saw Apple sells a dock-to-USB connector for transferring photos from cameras. I'm not sure what the iPad OS limitations are for transferring other media though. How easy is it to rip a DVD to it for viewing later? Does it all have to be done through iTunes?[/QUOTE]

And you think otherwise?!?

Apple changed that moto "Think Differently" a LONG time ago.

It's either iTunes or you're stuck to find some other application to do it, which is a mixed bag for support.

General drag and drop won't ever happen.

That's a big big minus in my list of balance. I hate... wait... hate iTunes.

[quote name='xycury']
That's a big big minus in my list of balance. I hate... wait... hate iTunes.[/QUOTE]

I like iTunes fine for managing my music. Have used it for years despite never having an ipod until last month (bought a Nano).

But it's just not designed to work with the iPad where you're putting various types of documents, photos, videos etc. etc. on and off the device.

So that's one front where I do want a more "full computer" experience in a tablet. Though, again the iPad is pretty damn slick once you get stuff on it. So if nothing better for my needs is out by fall I'll probably just buy one.

Heck, that gripe can go away if they Make iTunes more intuitive for the different types of content. There is some drag and drop--for instance (as I noted) you can hook the iPad up and drag and drop PDFs into the Goodreader program under apps in the sync menu and they instantly appear on the iPad (don't have to synch).

So it's just a matter of building in more of that into iTunes and making it more intuitive. We aren't going to see it show up as an external drive and get full drag and drop, but I can deal with using something like iTunes if it's just as easy, and not clunky like the photo synching etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having trouble updating the cover art of a book in iBooks?

I uploaded The Road with the old cover. I tried changing the cover but it wont change when I sync it, even if I delete it from iTunes and the iPad then put it back.

Details on the HP Slate have leaked out.

20100405slatespecs.jpg

As we'd heard, the Slate will run $549 in its base configuration, which has a 8.9-inch 1024 x 600 capacitive multitouch display, a 1.6GHz Atom Z530 processor with UMA graphics and an accelerator for 1080p video playback (we're assuming it's a Broadcom Crystal HD chip), 32GB of flash storage and 1GB of non-upgradeable RAM. There's also a $599 version with 64GB of storage, and both models will have a five-hour battery, an SDHC slot, two camera, a USB port, a SIM card slot for the optional 3G modem, and a dock connector for power, audio, and HDMI out.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/...ve-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/2#comments

5 hour of battery life is eh but $600 for 64GB of storage with two cameras/SDHC slot/HDMI out is nice. Guess it would be good for somebody who isn't out and about most of the time and can be tethered to the wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDalRBjyJo&feature=player_embedded

Yeah, that's the issue. The iPad has set the bar high for price, batter life and screen quality. After playing with my girlfriend's it's going to take a lot for me to end up with something else.

I'm willing to wait as the iPad isn't perfect, but I want a tablet that matches it's positives and improves on other things--true drag and drop, a real OS file system, built in stylus support etc.

I"m really interested in seeing what Android apps come out. I'm very skeptical any Windows 7 tablets will be nearly as slick and intuitive to use, able to match the battery life etc. But I could see some Android tablets coming close on those fronts and being better in other areas.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, that's the issue. The iPad has set the bar high for price, batter life and screen quality. After playing with my girlfriend's it's going to take a lot for me to end up with something else.

I'm willing to wait as the iPad isn't perfect, but I want a tablet that matches it's positives and improves on other things--true drag and drop, a real OS file system, built in stylus support etc.

I"m really interested in seeing what Android apps come out. I'm very skeptical any Windows 7 tablets will be nearly as slick and intuitive to use, able to match the battery life etc. But I could see some Android tablets coming close on those fronts and being better in other areas.[/QUOTE]

Well just by reading the comparison chart though, only parts are the screen, and battery that really stands it apart.

everything else is miles better. Though that HP UI thing is going to be honky. MS just needs to invest in their own Tablet OS.

Androids are looking good, I read a chart somewhere on PCWorld about comparing some, and one had 15+ hours...

I'll be watching the Slate closely... if they can bump up the ram to 2GB, I might save up to get one.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/editorial-ipad-prices-are-out-of-control-and-will-kill-us-all/

ipad-price-feature-1.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's the other thing..... all those 'apps' drive up the cost.
Take the games out, because there are 1000s of games you could run on the slate.
Take Hulu, Netflix and WSJ because those are "free" otherwise.
What's left are rinky dinky apps or gidgets that one could find free on the PC side.

Though the only thing Apple has is controlling the enviroment that the app is run on, so having a beastly thing of an app on an iPad won't happen. Unlike the Slate would.... I could see someone trying to run Photoshop CS5 with the styli and failing horridly. But I bet Paint.net would work just fine....

The graphic is misleading in part. The Netfilix App is free (hulu isn't there, or available yet, but presumably will be free). WSJ is free app to get the content they post on their website, have to subscribe if you want access to every article in the print paper. USA Today is free currently, but will have to subscribe after July.

All the cost there must be in games, and the Pages app. Latter is $9.99 for sure, as my g/f bought that one. The Sketchbook pro probably is a pay app too. I don't mine paying for some apps, no different than buying software for a computer.

But again we're looking for different things in tablets. I don't need a full PC, nor want to run "beastly Apps" like Photoshop etc. I'll always have a laptop around for my full computing needs.

My tablet will be used mainly for reading and net surfing, watching the occasional video in bed etc. The iPad is damn close to what I need, just some annoyances about loading files etc. I'm damn tempted to just buy one, but figure I should wait until fall and see what other tablets roll out, what's rumored to be in the 2nd generation iPad etc.

EDIT: Another slate shortcoming I just read--no speaker! That kills it for video watching etc. for me. The iPad's speaker isn't bad at all. Not great for music, fine for watching a TV show etc.

I dunno, I think both the Slate and Ipad are a bit overpriced at this point. I understand early adopters always pay a premium, but the 64gb one should be 600 at most, with the rest slotting underneath.

Another promising iPad alternative is the Notion Ink Adam. Runs on Android, similar in form/weight to an iPad, but with a lot more stuff inside.
specs:
But the thing that really makes it stand out is its screen. It's made by a group called Pixel Qi. It can operate as a conventional LCD, but it also has the option to turn off the backlight to help conserve energy, or switch to a low-power black and white reflective mode, for viewing in areas with high ambient lighting. In that mode, it also uses very little energy. It's kinda like e-ink, only with much better speed. There's videos of it online in various places, and looks pretty awesome. Wouldn't be surprised if the screen tech is something Apple borrows from in its next iPad.

Also has a Trackpad for mouse-based browsing on the back. Don't know how usable it is, but it's something that could very well help with precision clicking.

Yeah, the prices are a little high now for sure. But as you note, early adopters always get hit with that. That's part of why I want to wait a bit. I'm hoping that at the least in the 2nd gen models the 32GB ipad will be $500.

As for the Notion Ink Adam, that's definitely one I've been keeping my eyes on. I'm expecting it to be pricey though, due to the new Pixel Qi Screen. I'm pretty skeptical of the $327-800 price range.

Mirasol is another similar new screen tech (similar in having an LCD and reflective mode) that we should start seeing in these type of gadgets over the next year or so.

That Adam thing looks amazing in sunlight... Can't say I'm in the market for anything like this, but if they don't force monthly plans for 3G or anything, I'd certainly be interested.

The iPad looks amazing and all, but I couldn't see myself having much of a use for it.

I dunno if anybody has bitched about this yet, but wtf is up with all the "HD" shit? Like every program released for the iPad is its "HD" version even though the iPad itself is a couple hundred pixels short of even 720p.

I just looked at Plants vs. Zombies (great game btw) for the iPad - it's "now in high definition: 1024x768" wwwwhhhaaaaa?

[quote name='Azumangaman']That Adam thing looks amazing in sunlight... Can't say I'm in the market for anything like this, but if they don't force monthly plans for 3G or anything, I'd certainly be interested.

The iPad looks amazing and all, but I couldn't see myself having much of a use for it.[/QUOTE]

Everything sounds amazing in specs, but after it's released and reviewed reality usually sets in. Case in point, joojoo: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/fusion-garage-joojoo-review/

2.5hours with flash? yikes...

Android should do well if they can deliver on those specs. Competition is a great thing..for us anyways ha.

[quote name='Azumangaman']That Adam thing looks amazing in sunlight... [/QUOTE]

Yep. A big advantage of reflective screens (Pixel Qi in reflective mode, e-ink etc.) is being readable in sunlight, bright lights etc. as there's no more glare than paper--less even than bright white paper.

I don't care much myself as I pretty much never do anything in direct sunlight and don't read out doors generally period. But that is a big plus of those screen techs for people who do.

IPAD!?!?! BAHAHAHAHA?!?!? I already have a PDA custom hacked with Linux and a 250GB internal HDD loaded with hentai. Who needs them IPADS!?

[quote name='darkslime']IPAD!?!?! BAHAHAHAHA?!?!? I already have a PDA custom hacked with Linux and a 250GB internal HDD loaded with hentai. Who needs them IPADS!?[/QUOTE]

People who want a larger screen? Longer battery life? Slicker touch interface?

Everyone has different needs. That's why there's such a wide array of gadgets on the market, so everyone can find what best suits their need--be that are large screen for reading PDFs and other large documents, or jerking off to cartoons.

Loving the iPad. I was a doubter at first, but until you've used one, you can't really appreciate how awesome it is.

[quote name='porieux']Loving the iPad. I was a doubter at first, but until you've used one, you can't really appreciate how awesome it is.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I've been wanting a tablet for a long time, so I wasn't skeptical of the notion of a tablet.

I was just skeptical that the iPad would be close to what I want in a tablet, but it comes damn close to fitting all my needs.

As you say, you just can't grasp how slick and easy it is to use until you play around with it. There's just something different about reading, surfing the net etc. on the iPad than on a PC or laptop etc. It all works so well and intuitively, and there's a lot of neat apps that will only grow the longer it's out.

iPad looks neat, i picked up the first version of the iPhone and later moved onto 3g. I will be waiting for the 2nd gen iPad however before i jump in. I'm also waiting for a new iPhone before i upgrade, skipping the 3Gs.

I recently picked up a Macbook at microcenter for roughly 700 usd with taxes and all so i'm broke atm.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed.

I've been wanting a tablet for a long time, so I wasn't skeptical of the notion of a tablet.

I was just skeptical that the iPad would be close to what I want in a tablet, but it comes damn close to fitting all my needs.

As you say, you just can't grasp how slick and easy it is to use until you play around with it. There's just something different about reading, surfing the net etc. on the iPad than on a PC or laptop etc. It all works so well and intuitively, and there's a lot of neat apps that will only grow the longer it's out.[/QUOTE]

Ah but I know for sure that if I had hands on it, I'd want to do more with it... that it can't.

[quote name='seanr1221']Anyone have an idea why the cover of my book wont change?[/QUOTE]

Where was the book from? Is it embedded into it like some mp3 files? Or is it syncing from iTunes.

:bomb: I think they need to 'upgrade' iTunes into something different, and make it better to sync alot of different media to support the iPad. Unfortunately I think they do already have iSync named... so what would they call it?... iTransfer? .... iReallyWantMyDocumentsOnTheDamnThing?

[quote name='xycury']Ah but I know for sure that if I had hands on it, I'd want to do more with it... that it can't.
[/QUOTE]

To be fair, that's pretty much true of every device as nothing is perfect.

I thought there'd be a LOT more the iPad couldn't do that I'd want to than there is after using one.

But I'll still hold off as I don't like to early adopt new technology. This is really the first pure Tablet--i.e. not a tablet PC. As such I want to wait and see what comes from Android based tablets, what's rumored to be in the 2nd gen iPad etc. before taking the plunge even though the iPad is a lot better than I anticipated for my needs.

[quote name='xycury']
Where was the book from? Is it embedded into it like some mp3 files? Or is it syncing from iTunes.
[/QUOTE]
iTunes. I changed the artwork under info and put it on my iPad. I then decided I wanted a different cover, but when I sync it, the cover stays the same. I even tried deleting the book from iTunes and the iPad, but the cover won't change on the iPad. The bizarre thing is the new cover shows up when I change the view from the "book shelf" to having all the books in a list.

[quote name='seanr1221']iTunes. I changed the artwork under info and put it on my iPad. I then decided I wanted a different cover, but when I sync it, the cover stays the same. I even tried deleting the book from iTunes and the iPad, but the cover won't change on the iPad. The bizarre thing is the new cover shows up when I change the view from the "book shelf" to having all the books in a list.[/QUOTE]

Can you copy/import the book as a different book, then change it like you did under the info?

I would guess that iTunes copied the pic and it's in the database. You will have to make it look like a different book to do so.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Another promising iPad alternative is the Notion Ink Adam. Runs on Android, similar in form/weight to an iPad, but with a lot more stuff inside.
specs:
But the thing that really makes it stand out is its screen. It's made by a group called Pixel Qi. It can operate as a conventional LCD, but it also has the option to turn off the backlight to help conserve energy, or switch to a low-power black and white reflective mode, for viewing in areas with high ambient lighting. In that mode, it also uses very little energy. It's kinda like e-ink, only with much better speed. There's videos of it online in various places, and looks pretty awesome. Wouldn't be surprised if the screen tech is something Apple borrows from in its next iPad.

Also has a Trackpad for mouse-based browsing on the back. Don't know how usable it is, but it's something that could very well help with precision clicking.[/QUOTE]

HDMI :shock:
Sweet... The low end model should be good enough for average users. Not to mention SD slot, sweet.... I'm dropping $327 on that for sure (base on what's leaked).

Look, the iPad is no doubt slick and and all. However, it doesn't matter how cool or slick the iPad is, the fact that you can't manage your files on it (ahem, drag and drop style), suck balls.

I read about the pdf and pictures dmaul1114 posted, while you can get the files on the iPad at the end, but the effort is horrendous!

[quote name='Serpentor']Look, the iPad is no doubt slick and and all. However, it doesn't matter how cool or slick the iPad is, the fact that you can't manage your files on it (ahem, drag and drop style), suck balls.

I read about the pdf and pictures dmaul1114 posted, while you can get the files on the iPad at the end, but the effort is horrendous![/QUOTE]

For PDFs the effort isn't horrendous at all. It's just drag and drop in iTunes, and within the Goodreader program I believe you can have folders etc.

It's not ideal, but it's not horrendous. I'm used to drag and drop from within iTunes for my Nano, and withing Creative Media Explorer for my Vision M: MP3 Player

For photos it is pretty bad for sure as the sych method sucks for that IMO. If they made it drag and drop in iTunes like it is for PDFs in Goodreader I'd have no issues.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's just drag and drop in iTunes[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm sorry... I have to comment. Seriously? Just... ? ha, JUST kiss CApples and Jobs ass everytime you want to put something on an apple media device... Your defense for CApple is hilarious too. If this were any other company you wouldn't be defending it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']LOL, I'm sorry... I have to comment. Seriously? Just... ? ha, JUST kiss CApples and Jobs ass everytime you want to put something on an apple media device... Your defense for CApple is hilarious too. If this were any other company you wouldn't be defending it.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

I'm not Apple fanboy. I don't own an iPad or plan to buy one soon. I'd never owned an Apple device until buying a Nano last month as I've always found there stuff mostly overpriced and underfeatured. But needed a new flash MP3 player and they'd finally added an FM tuner so I took the plunge.

I just never hated iTunes. I've used it for my music for years despite not even owning an iPad.

Would I prefer a file management system and drag and drop in windows? Absolutely and that's one of the reasons I'm not buying an iPad now and want to see what the Android tablets that come out can do.

But it's not the end of the world. My Creative Vision M has a clunky "Creative Media Explorer" program that I have to open to drag and drop music on to it. I prefer dragging and dropping music onto my new Nano in iTunes to the Creative Explorer. Though I'd prefer drag and drop in windows over either.

But in either case, it's not the end of the world, drag and drop is drag and drop. I can deal with using third party software to do it vs. clicking on my computer if I have to. It's not a deal breaker for me.

In any case, you Apple haters need to get a fucking life. There's few things that instantly label someone as a pathetic nerd more than having irrational hate for a company that makes tech Gadgets. Only thing that comes close is the irrational love fanboys of companies like Apple have.

It's just fucking tech gadgets and all these companies, Apple, MS, Dell, HP etc. etc. only care about one thing--getting as much of your money as they can. No reason to hate them or have loyalty to them.

But the products that suit your needs, don't buy the ones that don't, and rationally discuss the pros and cons of devices, without being blinded by irrational hate or love for a fucking corporation.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I just never hated iTunes. I've used it for my music for years despite not even owning an iPad.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to rile you up but why?

[quote name='Sporadic']I'm not trying to rile you up but why?[/QUOTE]

It's simple and easy to use for ripping cds and listening to my music on PCs. I'm not a tech head, nor have much patience for tech crap, so I like stuff that's just very straight forward and I can figure out how to do everything I need in 5 minutes or less. Windows Media Player, and other programs I tried over the years I found much more clunky for ripping CDs, playing music etc.

Now that I have an iPod Nano, I like iTunes even more as it's much easier to synch podcasts vs having to download them and drag and drop them onto my Creative players before.

I don't like iTunes so much for the iPad, as they just haven't tweaked it enough to work with with folders, documents etc. But if they spruced it up it would be fine. I'd still prefer a drag and drop in windows file system, but I could live with it. It's a bit too clunky for photos and some other things currently though. But works great with music like always IMO.

Very good impressions for my first full school day with the iPad. Wednesday is by far my busiest day...lab, 2 meetings and a class. I put the iPad to the test and it was great.

Lab: I usually take a break from coding every 45 minutes for about 15 minutes to let my mind rest. Before, I used to surf the web on my iPhone, now I was able to do it much more easily on the iPad.

Meetings: Pages got the job done with taking notes. I also had to present an article to my mentor, which was very easy with the annotations app.

Class: Once again, pages did the trick here. I was able to type *almost* as fast as my laptop and only had a few mistakes here and there. By the end of class, I was to the point where I didnt have to look at the virtual keyboard.

Train: Nothing unusual here. Plants vs Zombies made the time fly :p

I like how it saves my iPhone battery too. I used to take that out all the time to play things when I was bored, but always had to be cautious since I didnt want to lose my phone life incase of emergency.

[quote name='mykevermin']Y'all shut up, you're making me want one![/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely don't go play around with one as the temptation is crazy!

The more I play around with my girlfriend's the more I like it. I'm going to be strong and hold off to around fall at the earliest. Both to see what comes out in terms of android tablets, see if there are any rumors of the 2nd gen iPad etc., and to have some time to save up as I just can't drop $650 plus on the 32gb model, case and some essential apps right now with only having 1 month of summer salary currently.

Yeah, that's my stance. If I buy a first gen, I'll be there in a year or less with a gadget I regret as the 2nd gen adds and improves so much.

Or wishing I'd bought an Android tablet or something. What I really want to see that's missing from the 1st gen is:

1. A real file management system. If I put say a PDF on the iPad, I should be able to go to a folder and open it there, find it in an open menu with in any PDF app etc.

2. A more consistent drag and drop system--even if it's in iTunes. Basically make a folder system and let me drag and drop into it, even if it's in iTunes. The Creative Media Explore program for my Creative Vision M is like that--it more or less mimics windows explorer. Just drag and drop stuff into the folders on the device. But you can't add folders to the device, which is something the iPad would need.

3. Multitasking. I want to have Pandora playing while I'm reading, have an IM program running, get pop up e-mail notifications etc.

4. Flash. Though this is becoming less of an issue with the video apps, sites like EPSN supporting flash and HTLM 5 (their videos work on the iPad etc.).

5. Robust stylus support. Seems like the iPad would be pretty good with a capacitive stylus and programs like iAnnotate. But I still think something can do better if it's built more around that purpose.

6. Price drop. I'd want at least 32GB and $600 is a bit much for that. 2nd or 3rd gen, and more competing tablets coming out should drop prices.

I bought an iPad on Monday as soon as Best Buy opened. Thank you financing plans. I ended up with the 32gig one. I never had an iphone or ipod touch and am in love with the app store. I wake up in the morning using the NPR app which I love. During my free time I play some Plants VS Zombies. And it's honestly the best web browsing experience I've ever had.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'll fold 2nd or 3rd gen. Not 1st though.[/QUOTE]

Thats my stand. All 1st gen Apple products have failures.

The blending thing is hilarious. I never have seen that site before.

bread's done
Back