Apple laptop

Wlogan31

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
I'm in the market for a new computer and am leaning towards a laptop. Several of my friends that live out of town have recently gotten Apple brand laptops and are attempting me to jump in so we can use ichat, etc to keep in touch. My two questions become:

1) Is the Apple premium worth it (assuming you can afford it)?
2) Is the cheapest place to get one through the Apple store (assuming I want a "new" versus refurbished product)?

I don't know much about laptops, computer specs, etc so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What's an apple laptop? ;) Oh a macbook. There's nothing wrong with saving a few bucks and getting a refurbished one. Apple products tend to hold their value in the long run.

Apple's refurbished products are often exactly the same as a new one, so I would just buy from the refurb Apple store. Also, I would definitely go with a Macbook. I bought one back in July, and I love it. (That was my first Mac.)

There's not much of an Apple tax these days on laptops. Comparable engineering in a PC laptop limits you to models like the Envy and Adamo. You also get a native and legal running copy of OS X ... but not sure that iChat is the best reason to go there.

The Apple refurb store lists their offerings by each machine, last I checked. If you see something you like, you might want to jump. Some resellers like MacMall will also discount older new models when a revamp comes out, or include bundles like printers or Parallels. Apple also gives direct education discounts.

I love my unibody Macbook (purchased new; my first), and I've heard only great things about Apple's refurbished products, so go for it! Never looking back. That said, I don't play hardware intensive games on mine, so if you're looking for a machine that's primarily used for hardcore gaming, you might be better served looking at a PC.

If you're a student, you can also try your school's Apple store or bookstore. Mine clearanced out the older model Macbooks for $300 less than MSRP.

[quote name='JJSP']Why?[/QUOTE]

It's not even worth the energy to ask that... A troll is a troll. He's probably just trying to stir stuff up.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']It's not even worth the energy to ask that... A troll is a troll. He's probably just trying to stir stuff up.[/QUOTE]
Or answering the OPs first question. You know, one of the 2.

ichat also supports built in remote desktop which is really great if you need to fix something on your mom's mac.

Just a heads up, i'd wait since there's rumors of the i5/i7 based macbooks coming soon.

I'm suggesting this because the extra money isn't worth it. What extra benefits do you receive nearly spending double on a laptop that aren't on an HP or Dell or Sony?

So no the extra benefits aren't worth it even if you have the money. If you purchase a Dell and it for some reason explodes you could still buy another BRAND NEW ONE and still save more money than if you were to purchase a Mac.

If I can't change your mind then yes a refurbished model with suffice.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndozm2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Apple has a slightly faster processor...Dell has more RAM...bigger screen...bigger hard drive...yet the Apple's MSRP is double...I know it's MSRP but regardless...If you want to spend an extra couple hundred dollars for iChat...to each his own I suppose :)

I don't mean to troll/spam/whatever but I'm just giving my honest input. When I'm spending a decent chunk of dough I want something that is the most capable at it's price point. Macbook's just don't seem to compare to PC's in my eyes.

It really depends on what you're using it for. For nearly anything creative (design, music, film), it's almost required to use a Mac. The industry has dictated it since 95% of the industry uses Apple software and equipment.

If you're doing spreadsheets, word processing, and accounting, PC is the way to go.

Regardless, I'm a Mac because I enjoy the peace of mind and ease of operations. Mac OSX is virtually free from viruses (which means I'm not spending anything extra in service or Norton), it's extremely easy to use, and Apple's customer service has been excellent in my experience. I'm not the type to customize my entire rig, I don't play PC games, and I don't want to have to constantly perform my own upkeep on my computer.

[quote name='knotfan123']http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndozm2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Apple has a slightly faster processor...Dell has more RAM...bigger screen...bigger hard drive...yet the Apple's MSRP is double...I know it's MSRP but regardless...If you want to spend an extra couple hundred dollars for iChat...to each his own I suppose :)

I don't mean to troll/spam/whatever but I'm just giving my honest input. When I'm spending a decent chunk of dough I want something that is the most capable at it's price point. Macbook's just don't seem to compare to PC's in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but your comparison is a bit off. The Dell has no wireless N, a webcam, a worse a battery, and integrated graphics.

When you bring them to more equal the Macbook IS more but only $200 more. I am not including all of the cool software Apple provides (iLife suite).

[quote name='knotfan123']http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

I don't mean to troll/spam/whatever but I'm just giving my honest input. When I'm spending a decent chunk of dough I want something that is the most capable at it's price point. Macbook's just don't seem to compare to PC's in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

But an Apple has OS X, which, in my opinion, is WELL worth the money. It's nice to wake up every morning knowing that your computer is actually going to work when you turn it on.

[quote name='Access_Denied']But an Apple has OS X, which, in my opinion, is WELL worth the money. It's nice to wake up every morning knowing that your computer is actually going to work when you turn it on.[/QUOTE]

That, and a Macbook is much sexier than that plastic piece of crap Dell is selling!

mac-vs-pc.jpg

nothing against Macs but this expresses my thoughts

[quote name='knotfan123']
mac-vs-pc.jpg

nothing against Macs but this expresses my thoughts[/QUOTE]

LOLZ!!1!! OMGZzz!!! a FUNNIE!~!!! hahahahahahahahaha OMG UR SO FUNNIE!!1!!!1 BECAUZE DA pic showz howe a PC IS betta!!!!!!

HAHAHAhahahaHAHahahHAHAHAHAHAHhaHhAHAhhhahAhahAhhAhAhahaHAHhhhaaa,,

[quote name='Haggar']LOLZ!!1!! OMGZzz!!! a FUNNIE!~!!! hahahahahahahahaha OMG UR SO FUNNIE!!1!!!1 BECAUZE DA pic showz howe a PC IS betta!!!!!!

HAHAHAhahahaHAHahahHAHAHAHAHAHhaHhAHAhhhahAhahAhhAhAhahaHAHhhhaaa,,[/QUOTE]

Such eloquence! I'm impressed with your response. Price for performance a PC is better.

[quote name='JJSP']It really depends on what you're using it for. For nearly anything creative (design, music, film), it's almost required to use a Mac. The industry has dictated it since 95% of the industry uses Apple software and equipment.

If you're doing spreadsheets, word processing, and accounting, PC is the way to go.

Regardless, I'm a Mac because I enjoy the peace of mind and ease of operations. Mac OSX is virtually free from viruses (which means I'm not spending anything extra in service or Norton), it's extremely easy to use, and Apple's customer service has been excellent in my experience. I'm not the type to customize my entire rig, I don't play PC games, and I don't want to have to constantly perform my own upkeep on my computer.[/QUOTE]

If there aren't any problems with Mac's, how would you know how good their customer service is? Theoretically you shouldn't have to contact them according to your post in the sense that it's free of viruses and easy to use.

2007-09-10-mac-pc.jpg

lol
That bike pic is true though.

Mac OS is easy to operate, even your grandma can view her photos of you on her sweater she knitted for you on Christmas.
That is undeniable but it all depends on the person of course. I understand the old farts who find using a computer too troublesome. :)

Unless i can find a nice macbook for a insane low price, i will buy one and rock it. other than that, Jobs can suck it.

anyways,

obligatory troll picture towards the hipsters :D

pc-vs-mac.jpg

[quote name='JJSP']It really depends on what you're using it for. For nearly anything creative (design, music, film), it's almost required to use a Mac. The industry has dictated it since 95% of the industry uses Apple software and equipment.

Regardless, I'm a Mac because I enjoy the peace of mind and ease of operations. Mac OSX is virtually free from viruses (which means I'm not spending anything extra in service or Norton), it's extremely easy to use, and Apple's customer service has been excellent in my experience. I'm not the type to customize my entire rig, I don't play PC games, and I don't want to have to constantly perform my own upkeep on my computer.[/QUOTE]

I would say go with a PC, as you pointed out if anyone wants to customize or play games a PC is the way to go. Fyi my PCs I have built and maintained for the better part of 8 years are still powering up and they "just work" as well as a hp laptop that is 3 years old, while my 2 year old macbook has a screen that started to go bad after the warranty expired. Just saying that everyone is different I prefer windows, and a mac is not a fit for everyone. To each their own.

The irony here is that PC nerds are as elitist and snobby as they claim Apple fans to be. These picts prove it.

[quote name='knotfan123']
mac-vs-pc.jpg

nothing against Macs but this expresses my thoughts[/QUOTE]

Except it forgot the part about the hundreds of manufacturer defects, where your bike could easily explode on you at any point in time for no reason whatsoever. It kind of sucks when you wake up in the morning to turn on your PC that has never been connected to the internet to find out that it has a BSOD from you playing solitaire the day before.

Also, nearly any PC configuration that run Windows can also run Mac. And in fact, hundreds of thousands of people do that, with help of the OSx86 project. And even Mac Pros are customizable, even if you buy them right from Apple.

I won't say that Mac is better, and I'll let the argument continue, but that picture is just dead wrong. The metaphor just doesn't work on this occasion.

Also, after having my Mac almost a year, I have yet to encounter a speed problem that wasn't caused by me being too cheap to shell out the money for more RAM. Which I believe is a problem that would affect me no matter what computer I use.

EDIT: Again, not directed towards you, just the picture. Also, OP, if you want a Mac, do it. It's worth it. I have a friend here at college who has an ASUS laptop with a quad-core processor and 6GB RAM. It will run any PC game he wants. But after seeing me use my Macbook for so long, he says that his next laptop will be a Macbook. I've had 4 friends buy Macbooks because they liked mine, and he'll be number 5.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Except it forgot the part about the hundreds of manufacturer defects, where your bike could easily explode on you at any point in time for no reason whatsoever. It kind of sucks when you wake up in the morning to turn on your PC that has never been connected to the internet to find out that it has a BSOD from you playing solitaire the day before.

Also, nearly any PC configuration that run Windows can also run Mac. And in fact, hundreds of thousands of people do that, with help of the OSx86 project. And even Mac Pros are customizable, even if you buy them right from Apple.

I won't say that Mac is better, and I'll let the argument continue, but that picture is just dead wrong. The metaphor just doesn't work on this occasion.

Also, after having my Mac almost a year, I have yet to encounter a speed problem that wasn't caused by me being too cheap to shell out the money for more RAM. Which I believe is a problem that would affect me no matter what computer I use.

EDIT: Again, not directed towards you, just the picture. Also, OP, if you want a Mac, do it. It's worth it. I have a friend here at college who has an ASUS laptop with a quad-core processor and 6GB RAM. It will run any PC game he wants. But after seeing me use my Macbook for so long, he says that his next laptop will be a Macbook. I've had 4 friends buy Macbooks because they liked mine, and he'll be number 5.[/QUOTE]

I'll start by saying I perceive the Mac/PC thing as MacOS vs. Windows/Linux/BSD/Whatever.

It's no longer a hardware battle, so there's no point to make the "Macs are more reliable" argument. They use the same stuff (except for the "logic board" aka motherboard), so they both fail equally. Their forums are just as full as anyone else's with complaints about crappy hardware

Case in point: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2323521&tstart=0

Make sure you get the Applecare, the drive went out on the MBP that my fiance has after a little over a year. I guess I'll weigh in on the argument, Apple makes some very nice designed hardware and software, it's really easy to use and the software is well integrated. For me, it just wasn't my thing, mainly because I wanted to do some gaming, but no denying that it worked well. It is overpriced, but a lot of things in this world are, so if you like it, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='Apushmataha']I'll start by saying I perceive the Mac/PC thing as MacOS vs. Windows/Linux/BSD/Whatever.

It's no longer a hardware battle, so there's no point to make the "Macs are more reliable" argument. They use the same stuff (except for the "logic board" aka motherboard), so they both fail equally. Their forums are just as full as anyone else's with complaints about crappy hardware

Case in point: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2323521&tstart=0[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with the hardware for the most part. But Macbooks have much better shells than normal laptops. I noticed a dent today in the top right hand corner of my laptop screen. Since it's aluminum and on the corner, the force to make that kind of dent would have easily broken the casing on any other laptop, and most likely cracked the screen too. (In fact, I KNOW it would have done that to my old HP laptop.) But other than that, yeah, pretty much the same thing. Although Apple tends to pick the high-end hardware over the low-end hardware.

ok
lets focus on the "Reliable" part of the argument...

soooo about that MacOS's reliability....

IMGP0535-745138.JPG

Another obligatory troll picture
bowling-pin.png

Frankly the true winners are the Linux/ubuntu users.

[quote name='cRodz']ok
lets focus on the "Reliable" part of the argument...

soooo about that MacOS's reliability....

IMGP0535-745138.JPG

Another obligatory troll picture
bowling-pin.png

Frankly the true winners are the Linux/ubuntu users.[/QUOTE]

Frankly, that's just stupid. I'd like to post some pictures in response, but I don't think one CAG page can hold 500 different pictures of a BSOD.

We all know that OSes fail, even Linux. The point is, Windows has a much higher failure rate than Mac. There's not really another way to look at it.

If Windows is such a god awful operating system causing millions to lose their ability to use their system, why in God's name would you run it on a Mac? Sort of defeats the argument.

[quote name='knotfan123']If Windows is such a god awful operating system causing millions to lose their ability to use their system, why in God's name would you run it on a Mac? Sort of defeats the argument.[/QUOTE]

First off, nobody said that it was the worst thing every, we said that Mac was better. And we run Windows in Mac because there's certain programs that are Windows only. Not that hard to figure out.

If you can afford a mac, it is only cost slightly more than a comparable Windows based PC, quality wise. Sure you have 500 dollar pc notebooks but that isn't the market Apple is going after, it's the guys who buy the Dell XPS, HP Envy, or business-class notebooks such as Thinkpads that have comparable quality and the price differences there isn't that far off. I do agree they're overpriced but not by much.

Also I can turn on my PC everyday without worry of a virus too. Or having a bluescreen or any of that nonsense. A question to mac owners, why does everybody buy AppleCare, everybody who buys a Mac seems to always get AppleCare too. If they were so reliable you wouldn't need that. Macs aren't more reliable than PC, they both serve different markets.

[quote name='Thongsy']If you can afford a mac, it is only cost slightly more than a comparable Windows based PC, quality wise. Sure you have 500 dollar pc notebooks but that isn't the market Apple is going after, it's the guys who buy the Dell XPS, HP Envy, or business-class notebooks such as Thinkpads that have comparable quality and the price differences there isn't that far off. I do agree they're overpriced but not by much.

Also I can turn on my PC everyday without worry of a virus too. Or having a bluescreen or any of that nonsense. A question to mac owners, why does everybody buy AppleCare, everybody who buys a Mac seems to always get AppleCare too. If they were so reliable you wouldn't need that. Macs aren't more reliable than PC, they both serve different markets.[/QUOTE]

There are so many things wrong with what you said that you forced me to post this.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Frankly, that's just stupid. I'd like to post some pictures in response, but I don't think one CAG page can hold 500 different pictures of a BSOD.

We all know that OSes fail, even Linux. The point is, Windows has a much higher failure rate than Mac. There's not really another way to look at it.[/QUOTE]

Any OS that has a higher distribution is going to have a higher amount of reported failures. I have never had a problem with windows from 3.0 - win 7. I haven't had a problem with os x either, I just prefer windows for all my needs, I find it much more functional. So I Prefer windows and you can prefer Mac but superiority is based on opinion since they essentially preform the exact same functions.

[quote name='Thongsy']If you can afford a mac, it is only cost slightly more than a comparable Windows based PC, quality wise. Sure you have 500 dollar pc notebooks but that isn't the market Apple is going after, it's the guys who buy the Dell XPS, HP Envy, or business-class notebooks such as Thinkpads that have comparable quality and the price differences there isn't that far off. I do agree they're overpriced but not by much.

Also I can turn on my PC everyday without worry of a virus too. Or having a bluescreen or any of that nonsense. A question to mac owners, why does everybody buy AppleCare, everybody who buys a Mac seems to always get AppleCare too. If they were so reliable you wouldn't need that. Macs aren't more reliable than PC, they both serve different markets.[/QUOTE]

If you can turn on your PC without worrying about BSOD, I'd like to know what kind of PC you're using. I've been using PCs for 10 years and have had more random BSODs that I can count. I've had upwards of 50 different Windows installations. I won't say that Windows is crap, because it isn't, but saying you're not worried about a BSOD is like saying you're not worried about a RROD with a 360.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Any OS that has a higher distribution is going to have a higher amount of reported failures. I have never had a problem with windows from 3.0 - win 7. I haven't had a problem with os x either, I just prefer windows for all my needs, I find it much more functional. So I Prefer windows and you can prefer Mac but superiority is based on opinion since they essentially preform the exact same functions.[/QUOTE]

I figured somebody would say that, that's why I said failure rate and not amount of failures. Percentage wise, Windows fails more often. And they do perform the same functions, but one OS may perform that function better.

The people that typically get BSOD are ones that don't know what they're doing...I have my own build and not once had a BSOD, freeze, or any problem whatsoever. I'm in the same boat as Dragonsbane...I have nothing against Mac's but I just prefer Windows based PC's.

[quote name='knotfan123']The people that typically get BSOD are ones that don't know what they're doing...I have my own build and not once had a BSOD, freeze, or any problem whatsoever. I'm in the same boat as Dragonsbane...I have nothing against Mac's but I just prefer Windows based PC's.[/QUOTE]

And I totally agree with your preference. But just because you haven't had any BSODs doesn't mean they can't happen. I know what I'm doing and I still have random Window's error. I could start and restart my computer 10 times consecutively, and the first 9 times would be fine, but on the 10th time, I would get a missing .dll error. I'm not saying they happen every day, but they happen to me a lot more than I get Mac errors.

EDIT: This is kind of funny. Not really an argument, but Windows XP is supported by MS officially until 2014, but Vista only until 2012. I guess even Bill didn't like Vista. :p

[quote name='knotfan123']If Windows is such a god awful operating system causing millions to lose their ability to use their system, why in God's name would you run it on a Mac? Sort of defeats the argument.[/QUOTE]

Because you may occasionally need to run a Windows program on a Mac. Luckily, you can. The Mac will downgrade itself to be able to run the Windows program.

[quote name='Access_Denied']And I totally agree with your preference. But just because you haven't had any BSODs doesn't mean they can't happen. I know what I'm doing and I still have random Window's error. I could start and restart my computer 10 times consecutively, and the first 9 times would be fine, but on the 10th time, I would get a missing .dll error. I'm not saying they happen every day, but they happen to me a lot more than I get Mac errors.

EDIT: This is kind of funny. Not really an argument, but Windows XP is supported by MS officially until 2014, but Vista only until 2012. I guess even Bill didn't like Vista. :p[/QUOTE]

lol...didnt know that...

[quote name='Haggar']Because you may occasionally need to run a Windows program on a Mac. Luckily, you can. The Mac will downgrade itself to be able to run the Windows program.[/QUOTE]

But I thought Mac's were the end all solution!! ;)

bread's done
Back