Apple/Mac users tell me if this is a good deal?

lionheart4life

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Now I don't want this to turn into a PC vs. Mac debate, I'm just looking for a reasonably priced laptop (already have an older desktop PC using w/ AMD XP 2400+ processor) whether the laptop is a mac or windows, I'm familiar with both. Here is a listing I came across on Craigslist, and I'm wondering if it is a decent deal that I should jump on? For anyone familiar with Macs, can you tell me how the speed of this processor would compare to my current PC?

Here's the listing:
*****SPECIAL*****
Like New 9.9/10 Condition High Spec
14.1" iBook G4 1.42Ghz
1GB RAM/120 GB/DVD-RW(SuperDrive)
Integrated Bluetooth & Airport Extreme
Preload OS X TIGER v10.4
Excellent Battery Life 5hr+
Simply Got To Own This Now!!

This ibook is a like new 9.9/10 like new excellent physical and working condition iBook G4 1.42GHZ. With its integrated Airport Extreme Card and Bluetooth, u can surf wirelessly on the move and connect devices wirelessly. With installed 1GB upgraded RAM from 512MB, application processing will be much smoother and faster. Its in-built slot-loading DVD-RW drive allows you to burn your previous data or movies into blank DVD or CD.

This powerful companion laptop makes a great companion to graphic artist,people on the move, designer and executive with its sleek design. A light-weight and stylish ivory white casing yet powerful mean machine using G4 1.42GHZ processor which makes you stand out from the crowd with this beautiful baby.

What are included

1. 14.1" iBook G4 1.42Ghz

2. Charger/Adapter

3. Self-burnt OS X v10.4

4. Comes preloaded with
-Mac OS X Tiger 10.4
-Microsoft Office X
-Adobe Photoshop 7.0
-Macromedia Studio X includes
Dreamweaver, Freehand, Flash, Fireworks
-Norton Antivirus 6.0
5. iSight

They posted some pics of it as well and it looks to be in decent shape. I don't really need a laptop but it would be nice to have and a mac would be something different to try. EDIT: The price is $415 by the way. I guess that would help if I'm asking if something is worth it lol.

What do you want to be able to do with it? Also, how long do you want to keep it? That computer is about at the end of its upgrade path. 1.42GHz is enough for web browsing and general things like that. The PowerPC processor was good back in its day: it ran cool and did not draw a lot of power. That is part of the reason it can get a decent battery life. I have used a 12" PowerBook G4 with a 1.5GHz processor and 1.25GB of RAM, and it does pretty well with all the applications listed there. It also had a 4 hour battery life.

If you are not looking to game on it, it should be fine. Even though Apple switched to Intel processors, I think they will support it for a little while. It will not work with the new OS X 10.5 (Leopard) coming out in October, because that requires a 64-bit processor. I do not believe the iBook had a 64-bit processor. If you want to keep this machine for a really long time, you might want to save the money for a MacBook or something similar that has a new Intel processor and will be continue to be supported for a while.

-- Oxygen

[quote name='lionheart4life']Now I don't want this to turn into a PC vs. Mac debate, I'm just looking for a reasonably priced laptop (already have an older desktop PC using w/ AMD XP 2400+ processor) whether the laptop is a mac or windows, I'm familiar with both. Here is a listing I came across on Craigslist, and I'm wondering if it is a decent deal that I should jump on? For anyone familiar with Macs, can you tell me how the speed of this processor would compare to my current PC?

Here's the listing:
*****SPECIAL*****
Like New 9.9/10 Condition High Spec
14.1" iBook G4 1.42Ghz
1GB RAM/120 GB/DVD-RW(SuperDrive)
Integrated Bluetooth & Airport Extreme
Preload OS X TIGER v10.4
Excellent Battery Life 5hr+
Simply Got To Own This Now!!

This ibook is a like new 9.9/10 like new excellent physical and working condition iBook G4 1.42GHZ. With its integrated Airport Extreme Card and Bluetooth, u can surf wirelessly on the move and connect devices wirelessly. With installed 1GB upgraded RAM from 512MB, application processing will be much smoother and faster. Its in-built slot-loading DVD-RW drive allows you to burn your previous data or movies into blank DVD or CD.

This powerful companion laptop makes a great companion to graphic artist,people on the move, designer and executive with its sleek design. A light-weight and stylish ivory white casing yet powerful mean machine using G4 1.42GHZ processor which makes you stand out from the crowd with this beautiful baby.

What are included

1. 14.1" iBook G4 1.42Ghz

2. Charger/Adapter

3. Self-burnt OS X v10.4

4. Comes preloaded with
-Mac OS X Tiger 10.4
-Microsoft Office X
-Adobe Photoshop 7.0
-Macromedia Studio X includes
Dreamweaver, Freehand, Flash, Fireworks
-Norton Antivirus 6.0
5. iSight

They posted some pics of it as well and it looks to be in decent shape. I don't really need a laptop but it would be nice to have and a mac would be something different to try. EDIT: The price is $415 by the way. I guess that would help if I'm asking if something is worth it lol.[/QUOTE]
That deal seems too good to be true to tell you the truth, Be aware of scammers...because $415 for the last iBook Apple ever threw out seems a bit shady. It usually goes for $600+ on eBay without Tiger and without an iSight Camera.

[quote name='b3b0p']Don't.

Please do your self a favor if you must get an Apple: Make sure it is an Intel version.[/quote]

Agreed, the price isnt that bad but that technology has been left behind in the dust. Save 500 more and get a macbook

Thanks for the responses. I decided against getting it because there are more pressing needs or more useful things I could get with $400, even though it seems like there could be a profit to be made on ebay but I'm not sure I want to risk the trouble with a finicky buyer on an older system that I know nothing about.

Lots of good info to look for in a Mac for the future though, thanks.

bread's done
Back