Apple notebook

yester

CAGiversary!
Hi, i want to get a mac notebook but i can not really afford a brand new one right now.
But how about a used one. The question is only which one.
I don't really game on the computer anymore and most things i do are web, email, video (converting etc..).
Also, not sure if 13" is a little to small or if its ok for daily use.
My main aim is, to have as less stuff hanging around on my desk as possible. Plus i can take it with me if needed.

You want the premium that comes with a mac but admit you cannot afford it. May I suggest another, more reasonably priced brand?
cagus.smile.jpg

They had a deal for a 750 dollar refurbished macbook 13.3 inch. If you want a larger screen you will pay more. Go with Therpson's suggestion and look for another brand if you want cheap. If you insist on a mac, I hear that they have g3 and g4 macbooks for around 400 or less on ebay....

[quote name='jirotokio']They had a deal for a 750 dollar refurbished macbook 13.3 inch. If you want a larger screen you will pay more. Go with Therpson's suggestion and look for another brand if you want cheap. If you insist on a mac, I hear that they have g3 and g4 macbooks for around 400 or less on ebay....[/QUOTE]

I will follow the advise. But with cheap i meant not $2000 more like $1000. If i can buy all the things new i would count my self blessed.
I run right now linux on my system and i don't use even my windows anymore. MacOS is still somewhat easier to operate.
I think i just wanted to hear how other people think about it and if, as an example an earlier version of dualcore would be fine.

I got a 3 year old black macbook. I wouldn't buy a used macbook since the old cases suck and are prone to cracking. I have two cracks on my case. It doesn't effect anything but cosmetic but the new unibody macbooks seem like they wouldn't have this issue of chipping. I can post pics if you are curious.

13" seems like a perfect size but since i have an older laptop w/o the nvidia gfx card, im seriously thinking of upgrading to a macbook pro in a year...maybe a 15" not too sure.

[quote name='darkslime']get a new and more powerful windows / linux laptop for 1k[/QUOTE]
Other than the fact that its a 13" instead of a 15", the basic macbook is a pretty good deal spec wise. Its no worse than what you'd get from dell for the money.

[quote name='darkslime']get a new and more powerful windows / linux laptop for 1k[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it wasn't a Mac, therefore, it isn't as awesome. :lol:

And OP, I would buy a refurbished 13" from the Apple website. Trust me when I say, 13" is plenty big. There's no reason for a 15" or 17" screen. Also, if you or someone you know is a student or works for the government, you can get a bit of a discount. Browse around on the Apple site for a while, you'll find a nice refurbished Mac.

And if that's still too expensive, there a few CAGs who have used Macbooks for sale. Don't know the names off the top of my head, but there are at least 3 CAGs with used Macbooks. Try searching the forums for them.

you're currently on linux i dont see the reason for mac os, why pay so much to go from unix to unix? ... but if you're dead set on a mac fine, just dont go used unless you plan on having it on a/c power all the time

i dont know anybody with an older mac that still gets decent battery life... used macs arent much cheaper than new macs anyway.

Go to Apples web site and check out their refurbished notebooks. Same warranty as new, eligible for applecare and just a little cheaper. Great for ipods too, can't beat refurbished when the manufacturer will stand behind just like a new product.

I personally have a 13" ibook G4 that is still kicking strong. It could use a bigger harddrive but I believe I have the largest you can get for it now since everything is now sata.

[quote name='Koggit']you're currently on linux i dont see the reason for mac os, why pay so much to go from unix to unix? ... but if you're dead set on a mac fine, just dont go used unless you plan on having it on a/c power all the time

i dont know anybody with an older mac that still gets decent battery life... used macs arent much cheaper than new macs anyway.[/QUOTE]

You must just have friends with bad experiences. I have a friend with a white Macbook from 2002. Not only is it still running, but the battery life is just fine. And the new Macs have batteries that last up to 7 hours.

[quote name='Access_Denied']You must just have friends with bad experiences. I have a friend with a white Macbook from 2002. Not only is it still running, but the battery life is just fine. And the new Macs have batteries that last up to 7 hours.[/QUOTE]

that's crazy that he had a macbook 4 years before they came out!

[quote name='mang9432']that's crazy that he had a macbook 4 years before they came out![/QUOTE]

Jesus, you bumped the thread for that? Like Apple didn't make notebooks in 2002? It was probably an iBook, christ.

[quote name='SpazX']Jesus, you bumped the thread for that? Like Apple didn't make notebooks in 2002? It was probably an iBook, christ.[/QUOTE]

wow... sorry. I started reading the thread from a search and forgot that i was bumping it.

bread's done
Back