Apple TV

ZForce915

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
Cheapy talks a lot about the Apple TV, and I've seen them in action on display but I still wonder if it's worth it for me.

Does the Apple TV do things like Netflix/Amazon better than the xbox or PS3?

Can I play my music library with the Apple TV with the TV screen off? I want to run it to the soundbar on my TV but I suspect that via HDMI I'll need to leave the TV on the whole time.

Seems like the nicest feature would be the iPad mirroring. I guess I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm wondering if this is $99 well spent or just me looking for another grown up toy to play with.

TV would probably need to be on for that. If you had a surround set up with a receiver then you could leave the TV off and just have the receiver on. That aside, unless you were playing music from the iPad or something, you'd need the TV on to select the music to play (with a receiver you could turn the TV off after that).

But really, unless you're tied into iTunes (buying/renting movies from there etc.) the Apple TV isn't really worth it IMO. Especially if you already have all the video streaming options you need on the PS3/360. Even if not, the Roku boxes are generally cheaper and have all that stuff sans iTunes support.

I'm not really tied to them for renting, I don't remember the last time they had something on there that Amazon didn't have for rent also.

Some random pros for the Apple TV:
Having (some) movies in the iCloud has been handy for my family.
IMO, if you're already using iOS products, getting an Apple TV is a useful extension of those devices. I have an iPad from work and a personal iPhone and I'm always using the Apple TV to show off pics taken with those devices.
If you subscribe to iTunes Match, it makes the Apple TV that much more handy.
Out of all the devices I have, the Apple TV gets to Netflix the fastest; within seconds-fast.
I use a PS3, 360, Wii, Sony Media Steamer, Panasonic TV app for Netflix and none of them compare to the speedy Netflix login of the Apple TV.

I think Apple TV is awesome, especially at the $99 price point. If it were more expensive, I would probably pass, but for what it does at that price, I love it. I use it to stream ipad, ipod video and music to all the time, and I really love the other apps (Netflix, etc.) - pretty much allows me to take Netflix to any TV in my house since its so easy to move. Its a little bit bigger than a deck of cards.

[quote name='Kerplunkuga']I think Apple TV is awesome, especially at the $99 price point. If it were more expensive, I would probably pass, but for what it does at that price, I love it. I use it to stream ipad, ipod video and music to all the time, and I really love the other apps (Netflix, etc.) - pretty much allows me to take Netflix to any TV in my house since its so easy to move. Its a little bit bigger than a deck of cards.[/QUOTE]
And as an addendum to your price point statement for the OP, Amazon has the latest Apple TV in the mid-$90s or slightly lower on a regular basis, which is nice should you be lucky enough to live in an area where Amazon does not collect taxes.

bread's done
Back