Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

[quote name='Moxio']I still think Xperia > iPhone. :cool:[/quote]
Same here but I bet Xperia is going to be fucking expensive compared to the new lower prices for the iphone.

[quote name='eliter1']Same here but I bet Xperia is going to be fucking expensive compared to the new lower prices for the iphone.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, probably the truth.

[quote name='daphatty']I like the White version but the Black model will match my Samsung PC monitor nicely (It's the design that resembles the LCD TVs).[/QUOTE]It's gonna be in your pocket...why would you want to match it to your monitor?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Get ready to take it in the ass if you own a Gen1 iPhone and want a Gen2 version.

You can only buy from a PHYSICAL Apple or AT&T store. Period.
The phone HAS to be activated before you leave.
Data plan is now $10 more for 3G owners.
You will have to sign a new 2 year agreement to even buy Gen2 iPhone. It will erase 1 year from you're previous contract so instead of having 1 year left (if you signed up for AT&T when the iPhone came out), you will now start over at 2.

Wow. Right up the ass.[/quote]

So new G2 customers won't have to activate at store?

On second thought, my Curve already has GPS and Google Maps.

I do enjoy the corporate discount AT&T gives me. 25% off of handsets and service and no activation fees FTW.

[quote name='gunm']Unfortunately, it applies to all customers apparently:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...activated_free_upgrade_for_recent_buyers.html

Sigh, methinks the ebay markup for jailbreak'd units will still make the phone out of my reach.[/quote]

Nice, according to this, I will be able to get a new contract with an iphone and they will erase my previous contract. Ofcourse they still win since they are going to get a lot in data plans.

[quote name='dallow']What are you going to do Zew?
Seems like this dashes any hopes of a cheap G3 phone.

And the GPS with GoogleMaps is so sweet. Works just like I thought it would.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/maps.html[/QUOTE]

Eh, for now, I'm fine with what I have.

If an opportunity arises for me to get my hands on one without any hassles in the future, I'll partake.

Yeah, I think I'm the same.
You gotta show me a link to setup remote desktop though.

I'll try to find a cheap 4GB for my mom. There's one on CL for 250 at the moment...

[quote name='Moxio']For when he docks it, you chump. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zewone']Because when it's docked it'll look :cool:.[/QUOTE]

Bingo! Hell, I may even make the switch from MAC to PC...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So new G2 customers won't have to activate at store?[/QUOTE]

No, you will be REQUIRED to activate the phone when you purchase it.

I can't operate an iPhone because my hands constantly sweat. Tried using my brother's and it just doesn't work. What a lame, lame condition.

[quote name='daphatty']No, you will be REQUIRED to activate the phone when you purchase it.[/quote]

Well there went my hopes of buying on Amazon to avoid tax...

[quote name='daphatty']Something tells me this won't be as bad as it was last time. You can now purchase the iPhone at AT&T stores which opens up the purchasing options quite a bit. I have at least three AT&T stores within a few miles of my house, all of which are closer than the nearest Apple store. I plan on visiting one of those stores first.

The one question I have is, "Will I be able to transfer my current phone number to AT&T?" It's a deal breaker if they can't.

Plus, the iPhone release date is only 2 days from my T-mo billing date. I'd hate to have to double pay...[/quote]

That's cool, and yeah, you're probably right. I have a couple of AT&T stores around me. The timing is absolutely perfect for me because I get back from Australia on July 9 and don't go back to work until the 14th.

I just hope AT&T has decent network coverage where I live. I once jumped ship to T-Mobile a few years ago to get a sidekick II and the coverage was simply awful. I ended up having to pay ETFs to get away.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Another turn off for me is that it has a plastic backing. Apple's plastic scratches like no other, ugh.[/QUOTE]

The chrome backing wasnt too much better either. I'd prefer plastic over chrome.

[quote name='sasukekun']The chrome backing wasnt too much better either. I'd prefer plastic over chrome.[/QUOTE]

It's not chrome, it's aluminum and it's perfect.

[quote name='zewone']It's not chrome, it's aluminum and it's perfect.[/QUOTE]

Second. Well, the metal around the front glass is sorta prone to scratches but I'll be damned if anything is more durable than that brushed aluminum.

[quote name='sasukekun']The chrome backing wasnt too much better either. I'd prefer plastic over chrome.[/quote]

Same here, I didn't think the aluminum was a good combination, I like the new look much better.

Meh, I was hoping for some iPod Touch updates.

A redesign is kinda needed for the Touch, simply to make the device look different than the phone. The ideal look would be like the top half of an iPod Video mirrored to the bottom half with the home button right on the frame like a dent. Having both the Touch and iPhone look exactly the same is poor product design. It probably confuses customers.

I just hope the next Touch has a fucking AM/FM tuner and custom EQ sliders (because the presets are garbage). Get the lead out of your ass, Steve. Those are long overdue and fast becoming a problem when almost every competitor has had both implemented for quite some time.

Instead of waiting 2-3 minutes for the kid to check out, you will have to wait 10-20 minutes for them to activate the phone. Imagine being #20 in line, you may be there for 3 hours just waiting for everyone else to activate their phone.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Instead of waiting 2-3 minutes for the kid to check out, you will have to wait 10-20 minutes for them to activate the phone. Imagine being #20 in line, you may be there for 3 hours just waiting for everyone else to activate their phone.[/quote]

but you forgot...

IT IS A NEW IPHONE OMFG FTW ROTFL MY BFF JILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drool::bouncy::cold::bomb::whistle2:#:booty:

[quote name='GizmoGC']Instead of waiting 2-3 minutes for the kid to check out, you will have to wait 10-20 minutes for them to activate the phone. Imagine being #20 in line, you may be there for 3 hours just waiting for everyone else to activate their phone.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think about that. First day adopters are going to have a shitty time.

All this "new" information that was obviously omitted from the conference has me thinking I should wait till Winter or Spring 09 to bite...

Will jobs announce something else? I was waiting til this week to purchase a ipod just in case something is announced or a pricedrop. As I said before, A white ipod is much wanted. I need the full 80 gigs so im actually hoping for an increase to 100 200 in size as well with the same price points. So my big question is, IS THAT ALL FROM APPLE? What were in all those crates? IPHONES that wont be released til july 18th?

to me the forced activation in store is the biggest problem. I was going to buy one and unlock it so I could use it with t-mobile here in the us, and then the carrier 3 in Hong Kong, along with another carrier in mainland china, and also 3 and t-mobile in Europe...(much cheaper to switch out sim cards than do some retarded international roaming at like $5/min).

Now I would have to sign up fro 2 years of AT&T.....f that, I will buy mine probably for about $400 off the grey market. Anyone know any grey market sites offering unlocked ones for pre-order yet?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']All this "new" information that was obviously omitted from the conference has me thinking I should wait till Winter or Spring 09 to bite...[/quote]

what new info? If you are talking about the $10 more a month in data fee's I guess. But that shouldn't be announced at apples press conf, as it was an att decision.

[quote name='ryanbph']what new info? If you are talking about the $10 more a month in data fee's I guess. But that shouldn't be announced at apples press conf, as it was an att decision.[/quote]

iPhone 3G: the details you never wanted to know
  • iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased in store.
  • Return period has been changed from 14 days to 30 days
  • $199 and $299 pricing is for new activations or qualified upgrades with a 2-year agreement
  • 2G iPhone data rate plans will remain available for 2G device suntil further notice
  • The new iPhone 3G data plan is $30/month and includes unlimited data and visual voicemail
  • There is not a no commitment price. This means you can’t just walk in and bang $500 on your credit card and walk out.
  • If you are an existing iPhone customer in good standing, you will be able to extend your contract for two years when the iPhone 3G launches and get the ill-na-na $199/$299 price point. Doesn’t matter when you bought an iPhone either.
  • AT&T and Apple stores “unbrick” the iPhone 3G at time of purchase, but for some reason if that doesn’t happen, you’ll be required to use iTunes at home.
  • Pre-paid and Pick Your Plan will not be allowed on iPhone 3G
  • Device purchase limit remains at (3) per customer in AT&T stores.
  • 2G iPhones to remain as demo models in AT&T stores “until further notice”.
  • AT&T stores will get rate brochures, 22 x 28 posters, and window banners
  • Launch day will mirror last year’s launch. This includes extended store hours, crowd controls, etc. Security will be provided to stores requesting armed police or guards.
  • AT&T is working with Apple to roll out GPS-enabled applications.
New Activation Process and BRE:
The iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased, in store. The BRE period will change from 14 days to 30 days and will require the device to be returned to place of purchase before service is cancelled.
Pricing and Plans
Device Pricing:
$199 8GB and $299 16GB for new activations and qualified upgrades with 2-year agreement.
Data Plans and Pricing:
The iPhone 3G will be activated on existing AT&T voice rate plans, but new data plans have been created for the 3G device.
All iPhone 3G customers are required to have one of the new data plans and qualifying voice plan.
Customers intending to use the iPhone 3G for access to corporate e-mail, business applications, or access to corporate intranet are required to activate with Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone.
The 2G data rate plans will remain available for 2G devices until further notice.
IRU service discounts for both voice and data pans will apply to iPhone 3G, but not 2G iPhone.
CRU service discounts for voice and data will apply to both 2G and 3G, when on a qualifying data plan.
IRUs will not get a discount on device purchase for 2G or iPhone 3Gs.
Data Pricing will be as follows:
Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail
Enterprise Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$45 – Unlimited Data with personal and corporate e-mail, web, includes Visual Voicemail
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/

^ This stuff.

unless you were already and iphone user, I really don't see how this would affect you unless you planned on hacking it to get onto a differenet carrier...pre paid plans not being used, I guess could be an issue, but if one was originally dropping $500 or so on the phone, I don't see how getting a monthly fee could be an issue. The extra $10 fee on data sucks, but give it to the end of the year. Sprint is losing to many customers, and they will need to do a lot better with there unlimited calling price plan. Once sprint does something, the rest will follow suit just like when verizion had unlimited calling to $99 a month.

[quote name='guyver2077']i wish that unlimited data also included unlimited text/mms[/quote]
That's like another 20 isn't it?
And just SMS, no MMS.

[quote name='ryanbph']unless you were already and iphone user, I really don't see how this would affect you unless you planned on hacking it to get onto a differenet carrier...pre paid plans not being used, I guess could be an issue, but if one was originally dropping $500 or so on the phone, I don't see how getting a monthly fee could be an issue. The extra $10 fee on data sucks, but give it to the end of the year. Sprint is losing to many customers, and they will need to do a lot better with there unlimited calling price plan. Once sprint does something, the rest will follow suit just like when verizion had unlimited calling to $99 a month.[/quote]

I was planning on jailbraking it to have access to all the unofficial apps that are out there. Also turns out that my company's corporate discount may not apply to data plans :\

[quote name='dallow']That's like another 20 isn't it?
And just SMS, no MMS.[/quote]

i believe so... all these plans are just becoming to $$$.

I used to have an unlimited data/200 txt msg plan for 19.99 but i think i took it off and now i dont see it available anymore.. i think it was an old cingular promotion

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was planning on jailbraking it to have access to all the unofficial apps that are out there. Also turns out that my company's corporate discount may not apply to data plans :\[/quote]

gotcha...i don't think the corporate discounts applied to the iphone before. I have been eyeing the iphone for about 6 months, and my wife works for bank of america. She get 20% off att and gets discounts from apple. But the iphone and the iphone calling plan didn't seem to get affected by the discounts.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was planning on jailbraking it to have access to all the unofficial apps that are out there. Also turns out that my company's corporate discount may not apply to data plans :\[/quote]

gotcha...i don't think the corporate discounts applied to the iphone before. I have been eyeing the iphone for about 6 months, and my wife works for bank of america. She get 20% off att and gets discounts from apple. But the iphone and the iphone calling plan didn't seem to get affected by the discounts.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']Will jobs announce something else? I was waiting til this week to purchase a ipod just in case something is announced or a pricedrop. As I said before, A white ipod is much wanted. I need the full 80 gigs so im actually hoping for an increase to 100 200 in size as well with the same price points. So my big question is, IS THAT ALL FROM APPLE? What were in all those crates? IPHONES that wont be released til july 18th?[/QUOTE]

If there's anything happening for the iPod, it'll likely be Fall 08/Spring 09. I'm not in any rush anyway. I can wait for the right price.

It's all about the iPhone right now anyway.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']Will jobs announce something else? I was waiting til this week to purchase a ipod just in case something is announced or a pricedrop. As I said before, A white ipod is much wanted. I need the full 80 gigs so im actually hoping for an increase to 100 200 in size as well with the same price points. So my big question is, IS THAT ALL FROM APPLE? What were in all those crates? IPHONES that wont be released til july 18th?[/quote]

Wait until the fall, they might have new models out. If not go with the 160 iPod.

I remember the days (three or four years ago) when unlimited texting was $5 a month (Sprint). Now I pay $15 (T-Mobile).

Anyway, for those that don't have AT&T, why not just buy it, activate it, and cancel your service?

[quote name='lmz00']I remember the days (three or four years ago) when unlimited texting was $5 a month (Sprint). Now I pay $15 (T-Mobile).

Anyway, for those that don't have AT&T, why not just buy it, activate it, and cancel your service?[/quote]

There's a $200+ cancellation fee, I think, some people can afford it but I would think most CAG's don't.

Only a month to go to start camping people!!!

[quote name='eliter1']There's a $200+ cancellation fee, I think, some people can afford it but I would think most CAG's don't.[/quote]
I'm well aware, but I fail to see why that's an issue, since the phone without a contract would've cost $400 or $500 anyway.

I'm tempted to get one to go along with my Curve, but I doubt it'll be compatible with my BB plan.

[quote name='lmz00']I'm well aware, but I fail to see why that's an issue, since the phone without a contract would've cost $400 or $500 anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, with the new lower price of the iphone I think we are going to see a lot of people get the phone and cancel the contract. I like AT&T and it's the best provider around here but I can see a lot of reasons why people might want to pay extra for the phone.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/

iPhone 3G: the details you never wanted to know
iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased in store.
Return period has been changed from 14 days to 30 days
$199 and $299 pricing is for new activations or qualified upgrades with a 2-year agreement
2G iPhone data rate plans will remain available for 2G device suntil further notice
The new iPhone 3G data plan is $30/month and includes unlimited data and visual voicemail
There is not a no commitment price. This means you can’t just walk in and bang $500 on your credit card and walk out.
If you are an existing iPhone customer in good standing, you will be able to extend your contract for two years when the iPhone 3G launches and get the ill-na-na $199/$299 price point. Doesn’t matter when you bought an iPhone either.
AT&T and Apple stores “unbrick” the iPhone 3G at time of purchase, but for some reason if that doesn’t happen, you’ll be required to use iTunes at home.
Pre-paid and Pick Your Plan will not be allowed on iPhone 3G
Device purchase limit remains at (3) per customer in AT&T stores.
2G iPhones to remain as demo models in AT&T stores “until further notice”.
AT&T stores will get rate brochures, 22 x 28 posters, and window banners
Launch day will mirror last year’s launch. This includes extended store hours, crowd controls, etc. Security will be provided to stores requesting armed police or guards.
AT&T is working with Apple to roll out GPS-enabled applications.
New Activation Process and BRE:
The iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased, in store. The BRE period will change from 14 days to 30 days and will require the device to be returned to place of purchase before service is cancelled.
Pricing and Plans
Device Pricing:
$199 8GB and $299 16GB for new activations and qualified upgrades with 2-year agreement.
Data Plans and Pricing:
The iPhone 3G will be activated on existing AT&T voice rate plans, but new data plans have been created for the 3G device.
All iPhone 3G customers are required to have one of the new data plans and qualifying voice plan.
Customers intending to use the iPhone 3G for access to corporate e-mail, business applications, or access to corporate intranet are required to activate with Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone.
The 2G data rate plans will remain available for 2G devices until further notice.
IRU service discounts for both voice and data pans will apply to iPhone 3G, but not 2G iPhone.
CRU service discounts for voice and data will apply to both 2G and 3G, when on a qualifying data plan.
IRUs will not get a discount on device purchase for 2G or iPhone 3Gs.
Data Pricing will be as follows:
Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail
Enterprise Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$45 – Unlimited Data with personal and corporate e-mail, web, includes Visual Voicemail
^ This stuff.[/QUOTE]

What? They changed the return period from 14 to 30 days??! OMGWTFBBQ!!

You still can't insure the iPhone through AT&T. They just made insurance available for their PDA phones, but still specifically exclude the iPhone.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Instead of waiting 2-3 minutes for the kid to check out, you will have to wait 10-20 minutes for them to activate the phone. Imagine being #20 in line, you may be there for 3 hours just waiting for everyone else to activate their phone.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I hadn't considered this... And I'm not just a new activation, I want my current phone number transfered. Shit...

[quote name='cdrober']to me the forced activation in store is the biggest problem. I was going to buy one and unlock it so I could use it with t-mobile here in the us, and then the carrier 3 in Hong Kong, along with another carrier in mainland china, and also 3 and t-mobile in Europe...(much cheaper to switch out sim cards than do some retarded international roaming at like $5/min).

Now I would have to sign up fro 2 years of AT&T.....f that, I will buy mine probably for about $400 off the grey market. Anyone know any grey market sites offering unlocked ones for pre-order yet?[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that T-Mobile's 3G implementation (in the US) is incompatible with AT&Ts. I have an unlocked AT&T HTC 8525 (Wing Predecessor) that supports 3G but not on T-Mobile's network. :(

By the way, make sure you guys spend some time reading the fine print of the AT&T service contract. I took it upon myself to read the service contract details prior to the announcement of the 3G iPhone and I was shocked to learn that Rollover Minutes don't start immediately. You have to wait until the end of the second month of service before your minutes will roll over. Month #1 is "use it or lose it." Not a deal breaker but definitely something to keep in mind.

bread's done
Back