Applying for a New Credit Card. Who offers the best intro deals?? [links added 11/18]

souNReAL

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
yea, applying for a new card. need one to pay for an ipod. i dont give a damn about debt. lets begin

here's a good forbes article for people worried about getting "the right card"
http://www.forbes.com/credit_cards.html

Known offers:

Target Card = 10% any purchase (3 of out 5) (n/a link)

Discover® Platinum Clear Credit Card - Enjoy a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 10 months.
http://results.cafefind.net/exact/rotate/ForbesSEO_credit_cards_DiscoverPlat/

Chase Cash Plus® Rewards Visa Credit Card - 5% cash back on grocery, gas, and drug purchases. 0% APR on purchases & balance transfers for 12 months.
http://results.cafefind.net/exact/rotate/ForbesSEO_credit_cards_ChaseCashPlus/

Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards ®MasterCard - - 0% APR on balance transfers for 12 months. Apply now and get a free $50 gift card.
http://results.cafefind.net/exact/rotate/ForbesSEO_credit_cards_CitiDiamond/

10+ card offers including 5% cash back, rewards points, and more
http://www.creditcards.com/instant-approval.php

Feel free to add more deals to the list. thanks

It depends on what you intend to do with the card. If you will carry a balance from month to month your best bet would be a fixed rate low APR card. If you're looking to refinance old debt look for a card that offers 0% balance transfers for at least 12 months and make sure it has low or no fees for those balance transfers. If you pay the card off month to month your best bet would be any of the cash back cards, two of which you already mentioned. If you look around you can find the Citi Diamond Perferred Rewards card with a 10,000 point ( $100 giftcard ) bonus for signing up with an additional 1k points just for activating the card. With that card you get 5 points for gas, grocery and drug store purchases and 1 point for everything else and if you hold off until you can get at least a $50 giftcard each point is worth a penny. If you'd like flat out cash back Citi cards also has a Diamond rewards card that give 5% cashback for gas, grocery and drug store purchases and 1% for everything else. Discover card offers 1% cashback on everything with quarterly / monthly promotions for 5% cashback for different things. Last month Discover offered 5% cashback for eating out, this month they are offering 5% cashback for online purchases over the summer they offered 5% cashback for home improvment puchases. One other offer I'll mention is the American Express / Costco co-branded card that offers 3% cashback on dining, 2% on travel ( airline tickets, car rentals, hotels ) and 1% on everything else.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='Randomthts'] If you look around you can find the Citi Diamond Perferred Rewards card with a 10,000 point ( $100 giftcard ) bonus for signing up with an additional 1k points just for activating the card.[/QUOTE]

sounds like the card for me. tho i only plan to spend a reasonable amount ($500-$1000 max) for black friday thru x-mas, and use the following 12 months to pay off the balance, before any APR kicks in.

great post though. appreciate it.

[quote name='chaarlieee']What's the difference between the Citibank dividend platinum select card and the Citibank diamond preferred awards card?[/QUOTE]

The dividend platinum card is a cash back card with 5% cash back on supermarket, drug store, and gas station purchases.

dividend

Whereas the diamond preferred card is a cookie cutter points accumulator card.

diamond

Damn.. I would love it if I signed up for the Diamond card and got that free $100.. I just signed up for the citibank platinum dividend card. Oh well.

Im loving my Citi Preferred rewards card. With the 5x per dollar spent at grocery stores/ it seems to rack up fast. Just my opinion, though.

I would get the amazon card and by the ipod on amazon. They dont charge you taxes or shipping usually and plus, the amazon cards gives you 25 bucks in credit when you get it. So you'd get the ipod way cheaper. (if you factor in what you would pay for taxes and shipping)

[quote name='TheRealDye']I would get the amazon card and by the ipod on amazon. They dont charge you taxes or shipping usually and plus, the amazon cards gives you 25 bucks in credit when you get it. So you'd get the ipod way cheaper. (if you factor in what you would pay for taxes and shipping)[/QUOTE]

indeed. tho, the citi bank cards are still luring me in with the gift card and cashback offers.

this is turning out to be a good thread so ill offer some questions.

anyone find the link for the citi diamond/dividend platinum($100 gift card)??

anyone ever get turned down for one of these cards?

booyah, just applied for the citi professional (10,000 "thank you" points/100 gift card) its the only one that says "instant approval" but my income is low for now(read: none) and it takes 30 days approval. wish me luck!

[quote name='chaarlieee']What's the difference between the Citibank dividend platinum select card and the Citibank diamond preferred awards card?[/QUOTE]

The difference between the two are you get points for the rewards card instead of cash back with the dividend card. The benefit of the dividend card is you can spend your cash back anywhere of course however with the rewards card you're limited to the stores in Citibank's thank you network. The benefit of the rewards card is the $100 bonus gift card and the chance to accumulate points faster by making purchases through thier thank you merchants.

The offer for the $100 bonus gift card are sometimes mailed to people but the offer and it's corresponding offer code can sometimes be found in weekly mailings like the penny saver, super shopper, or whatever coupon booklet is mailed in your area.

Everyone is eligible for a free annual credit report without having to sign up for anything due to federal law. You can get additional info here and request your credit report if you'd like.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

I'd suggest checking with your local credit union, if you have one, that is.

The card I use all the time is through my CU -- very low APR, Reward Points, and I can pay the balance by just doing a transfer between accounts. Perfect for my lazy ass.

Depending on the situation and how you plan to use the card, sometimes it's worth it to take advantage of the "sign up now and get $$$ or a % of your purchase deals".

I have the Citi Dividend Platinum Select: 5% back grocery/drug store/gas
And I think it is great, a couple additional advantadges, it is a minimum 1% cash back on all purchases. There are a large number of online/b&m stores where the cashback is 2-7% or there are other savings.
https://www.citidividendmerchants.citicards.com/shop/SHP_MerchantHome.aspx?cID=all
Shows the site. The only negs are, if you shop online, you have to remember to use this merchants gateway to activate the additional cashback (otherwise it is normal 1%), and there is a cap of $300 a year cashback. However, the stores in the merchant network do not count against this cap.
Lastly, you request cash in lumps of at least $50 (and it does not carry over year to year), so you have to be careful towards the end of the year and wait to reach a $50 level.

[quote name='KingDox']You could look for the best deal or you find a cc with a cool logo or art on it like me.[/QUOTE]

lol, yea either way.

*still awaiting confirmation letter*

you'd think these guys would at least send one of these automated mailings that says you signed up or what not... :whistle2:/

bump...'cause now i'm looking...my fucking bank sucks and won't give me an overdraft protection line of credit...even though my credit is outstanding...it just doesn't make sense...bastards

so what's the best deal?

[quote name='Rockman']Isn't there a amazon visa card that give you $30 on your first purchase and you can earn points too?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the point system sucks. Even with the triple points for purchases at Amazon.com, you have to spend over $800 to get a gift certifcate -- it's 2500 for the $20 Gift Certicate or something close to that. That works out to about 2.5% back if you buy things at amazon or an amazing 0.8% return on regular purchases. However, the $30 of the purchase where you sign up isn't bad.

[quote name='Rockman']Isn't there a amazon visa card that give you $30 on your first purchase and you can earn points too?[/QUOTE]

yeah, that's the first card i thought of...then i immediately realized that the point system sucks (as the guy below you said)

i've always used my mandtbank check card and their point system is great....but they're assholes

bread's done
Back