Are all the Monster Hunters different or are they just updates of each other?

Vhehs2

Banned
Is it like Madden where there is no point in getting older versions if I have the newest one or is it like the Legend of Zelda where the story makes each game distinct?

Or is it somewhere in between like Pokemon?

They're closer to Madden in your analogy. The latest game, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, has all the monsters from MHF1 and 2, plus a bunch of gameplay additions, so you're best off getting that. It's also the one everyone plays online.

There's also effectively no story in any of the MH games. The main focus is having epic boss battles and crafting armor, so you should temper your expectations accordingly.

If you have a PS3, I'm always glad to help train up new hunters over Ad-hoc Party. :) There's a lot to learn; I couldn't stand the game until I had someone walk me through it and now I've put hundreds of hours into it.

[quote name='metaly']They're closer to Madden in your analogy. The latest game, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, has all the monsters from MHF1 and 2, plus a bunch of gameplay additions, so you're best off getting that. It's also the one everyone plays online.

There's also effectively no story in any of the MH games. The main focus is having epic boss battles and crafting armor, so you should temper your expectations accordingly.

If you have a PS3, I'm always glad to help train up new hunters over Ad-hoc Party. :) There's a lot to learn; I couldn't stand the game until I had someone walk me through it and now I've put hundreds of hours into it.[/QUOTE]

freedom unite is able to play online? I always thought they were all for local mutiplayer only. I have freedom 2 but got tired of it since I was playing by myself. Crazy game though.

It's not true infrastructure online, you just play over Adhoc Party on the PS3. There are occasional hiccups but it beats not being able to play multiplayer. It's really cool teaming up with three others to beat up one monster.

from what I understand, I can hook up the psp to the ps3 with wifi and play freedom unite with others internationally? you are doing this now?

Yeah, you just have to download Adhoc Party (it's free) from the PSN store and then you can go online with just about any game that supports local multiplayer. You could even do it with MHF2 if you don't want to upgrade. The only catch is your PS3 has to be on a wired connection; it won't work if the PS3 is wifi only.

ah...there is always a catch. Damn, that sucks cuz it's not possible for me to have a wired connection since the ps3 is far away from the modem. Thanks for the info though. I may try to do it when part 3 comes out. My passion for monster hunter is kinda diminished for now.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']ah...there is always a catch. Damn, that sucks cuz it's not possible for me to have a wired connection since the ps3 is far away from the modem. Thanks for the info though. I may try to do it when part 3 comes out. My passion for monster hunter is kinda diminished for now.[/QUOTE]

How about using a laptop as a wireless bridge?

I don't have any monster hunters, nor do I own a PS3 but if a wired connection is needed can't you just connect a laptop and bridge the wireless connection?

[quote name='iRent']How about using a laptop as a wireless bridge?

I don't have any monster hunters, nor do I own a PS3 but if a wired connection is needed can't you just connect a laptop and bridge the wireless connection?[/QUOTE]

zuh?
thats sounds like it takes alot of effort.

You don't need to play MHFU online to enjoy it. The game is singleplayer friendly to a point and then it gets pretty tough but it's still possible to complete guild quests solo. There are many singleplayer only quests and the added AI partner almost gives you the feeling you aren't playing alone. The up and coming Monster Hunter Freedom 3 will let you bring up to 2 AI partners in battle with you making it even better for solo players.

But I would still recomend buying Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, it's packed with literally hundreds of hours of gameplay and is 20 bucks new.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']zuh?
thats sounds like it takes alot of effort.[/QUOTE]

It just consists of
1. turning on your laptop
2. Connecting the ethernet cable to the ps3 and laptop
3. Looking at "Network Connections" in Windows
4. Highlighting the Wireless connection and the Lan connection
5. Right-click and selecting to create a bridge between the connections.

I used to do it all the time if I wanted to bring my old 360 elite out of my room since I'm too cheap to buy the wireless g/n adapter.

I guess this would satisfy the need for a "wired" connection since it believes its wired while your laptop is actually acting as a bridge between it and the PS3

Basically
Internet --> Wireless Router ~ Wireless Laptop PS3

Can anyone confirm this "bridge" method working for Ad Hoc Party stuff? I don't really want to run a super long cable from my roommate's room (where our wireless router is) under his door down the hallway all the way to my laptop in living room where the TV/PS3 is if it won't end up working in the first place...

They had this thing called X-Link Kai or something, that did pretty much what Adhoc Party does, but it doesn't use Adhoc Party, or anything, so you'll have to see if people have rooms up on X-Link Kai.

I was kinda messing with the bridge thing but couldn't get it to work. I'm not too much of a computer nerd though. I think I need to buy the game first instead of doing it off the stick.

I was also looking into xlink kai but..they want money.

I downloaded Ad hoc party finally. My wife and I are going to get back into MHFU this weekend. I think we had reached rank 7. Let me know if anyone is interested in playing with us.

bread's done
Back