Are any CAGers lefties?

x0thedeadzone0x

CAGiversary!
Pretty sure this hasn't been posted before, if it was, sorry.

I'm a lefty myself, and was just curious if there were any others besides me.

I am left handed.

Also what do fellow leftys think of the DS design? It looks unplayable when using the stylis and left handed.

[quote name='6669']I am!
edit: The boy is, not the girl.[/quote]

Hahaha, nice.

And Supreme I was just thinking about that the other night. I think casey mentioned it. But I heard that there were going to be "lefty options". Hopefully it's true... or else I might not get the DS. :|

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='6669']I am!

Hahaha, nice.

And Supreme I was just thinking about that the other night. I think casey mentioned it. But I heard that there were going to be "lefty options". Hopefully it's true... or else I might not get the DS. :|[/quote]

"In the new design, the right side also features the same uniform indentation as the left. Newly added to the design is a recession around the A, B, X, Y buttons. Judging by the Lefty/Righty debate of the Nintendo DS design, this new recession was most likely included to cater to the Lefties so they can more comfortably use the four buttons as a D-pad." - IGN

I know it's just IGN speculation, but it is slightly comforting.

Although it still sounds awkward.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='6669']I am!

Hahaha, nice.

And Supreme I was just thinking about that the other night. I think casey mentioned it. But I heard that there were going to be "lefty options". Hopefully it's true... or else I might not get the DS. :|[/quote]

"In the new design, the right side also features the same uniform indentation as the left. Newly added to the design is a recession around the A, B, X, Y buttons. Judging by the Lefty/Righty debate of the Nintendo DS design, this new recession was most likely included to cater to the Lefties so they can more comfortably use the four buttons as a D-pad." - IGN

I know it's just IGN speculation, but it is slightly comforting.

Although it still sounds awkward.[/quote]

True. I hope it turns out to be more then IGN speculation, but regardless I'm waiting for a price drop on it. I'm not gonna pay 150-200 dollars in order to use the buttons on the right as a directional pad. I'll probably want to test it out before buying it too.

We lefties always get the short end. Baseball gloves, Golf clubs, Door handles, sheesh...even using a pair of scissors can be challenging...and now the DS. Although for some reason, my brain has been able to adapt to the standard dpad on the left - must be all those years of gaming that has conditioned me - and I'm about as lefty as they come. My guitars are even left handed!

[quote name='daikaiju']We lefties always get the short end. Baseball gloves, Golf clubs, Door handles, sheesh...even using a pair of scissors can be challenging...and now the DS. Although for some reason, my brain has been able to adapt to the standard dpad on the left - must be all those years of gaming that has conditioned me - and I'm about as lefty as they come. My guitars are even left handed![/quote]

Hahaha. I know, right? But at least the lefty gloves are comfortable. I don't really have a problem with using righty scissors but it can be a bit uncomfortable or awkward on my hand. I've adapted as well, but I think that my PC gaming "skills" has suffered from me being a lefty. ;)

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='daikaiju']We lefties always get the short end. Baseball gloves, Golf clubs, Door handles, sheesh...even using a pair of scissors can be challenging...and now the DS. Although for some reason, my brain has been able to adapt to the standard dpad on the left - must be all those years of gaming that has conditioned me - and I'm about as lefty as they come. My guitars are even left handed![/quote]

Hahaha. I know, right? But at least the lefty gloves are comfortable. I don't really have a problem with using righty scissors but it can be a bit uncomfortable or awkward on my hand. I've adapted as well, but I think that my PC gaming "skills" has suffered from me being a lefty. ;)[/quote]

I actually can't use lefty scissors. A lifetime of conditioning, I suppose.

I'm a lefty and back when I was real young 3-5 my parents said I held the nes controller upside down, my fiance is also left handed and so is her younger brother, were the only ones in our right mind.

I'm left-handed but not the extent of being crippled in a predominantly right-handed world. I don't expect to have any problem with the majority of DS stylus activities.

Inverting the DS controls and display is trivial in terms of software and should just be part of the BIOS, as the Atari Lynx did. It won't be as simple because of the relation of the dual screens but that is a matter for play-testing and refinement during game development. No such operation is complete without a lefty on the staff.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='sj41']Left handed people are scary. j/k[/quote]

That's because they have a higher chance of mental disorder ;)[/quote]

Yet they are highly over-represented among US Presidents compared to their numbers in the population of person who can legally hold the office.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Lefty. Still use righty scissors though.[/quote] Is that why your drawings look like they were done by an art-school dropout? :)

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Lefty. Still use righty scissors though.[/quote] Is that why your drawings look like they were done by an art-school dropout? :)[/quote]

And Bingo was his name-o.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='sj41'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Lefty. Still use righty scissors though.[/quote] Is that why your drawings look like they were done by an art-school dropout? :)[/quote]

And Bingo was his name-o.[/quote]

Just remember, Matt Groening is left-handed but managed to be somewhat successful with his drawing.

I'm not a lefty but people who I know that are lefties seem pretty smart and more profound. All you lefties should open a Cheap Ass Leftorium where you can badmouth the "normies".

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm not a lefty but people who I know that are lefties seem pretty smart and more profound. All you lefties should open a Cheap Ass Leftorium where you can badmouth the "normies".[/quote] Flanders' store for lefties?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Lefty. Still use righty scissors though.

Edit: Why didn't you make this a poll, DZ? Would've been easier to keep a tally.[/quote]

I could've, but I figured that the righties would probably outweigh us lefties by about 90% so in statistical terms it'd be useless, plus I didn't think there would be that many :). Nice to have some fellow lefty companions on CAG.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Lefty. Still use righty scissors though.

Edit: Why didn't you make this a poll, DZ? Would've been easier to keep a tally.[/quote]

I could've, but I figured that the righties would probably outweigh us lefties by about 90% so in statistical terms it'd be useless, plus I didn't think there would be that many :). Nice to have some fellow lefty companions on CAG.[/quote]

Heh, you don't have to give an option for righties. ;)

Hmmm...I wonder if you can make a one option poll?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Lefty. Still use righty scissors though.

I could've, but I figured that the righties would probably outweigh us lefties by about 90% so in statistical terms it'd be useless, plus I didn't think there would be that many :). Nice to have some fellow lefty companions on CAG.[/quote]

Heh, you don't have to give an option for righties. ;)

Hmmm...I wonder if you can make a one option poll?[/quote]

Nope, just tried it, you need two options.

But there you go WSB, just in case there are any shy lefties out there. ;)

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='CouRageouS']I'm not a lefty but people who I know that are lefties seem pretty smart and more profound. All you lefties should open a Cheap Ass Leftorium where you can badmouth the "normies".[/quote] Flanders' store for lefties?[/quote]

Favorite part of that episode: "Eh, too far." - Homer

Wholy crap. I was looking at that famous person list, it was all interesting, and then I saw that Osama Bin Laden is a lefty. :shock:

[quote name='epobirs']One of my four siblings is also left-handed. I grew up eating meals next to her as if we were in the same violin section sawing away at our food. She recently took up competitive target and trap shooting and is scarily accurate.[/quote]

Try wielding chopsticks throughout years of family dinners. My sisters aren't quiet in their displeasure whenever one of them is seated to my left. I've actually knocked food right out of their chopsticks while I've been eating (quite accidentally, of course.) That's survival of the fittest in action, right there. :D

Yeah, after looking at that list, I feel special now. I tend to notice a lot of left handed people in my classes, and they/we are all nerds.

[quote name='RBM'][quote name='epobirs']One of my four siblings is also left-handed. I grew up eating meals next to her as if we were in the same violin section sawing away at our food. She recently took up competitive target and trap shooting and is scarily accurate.[/quote]

Try wielding chopsticks throughout years of family dinners. My sisters aren't quiet in their displeasure whenever one of them is seated to my left. I've actually knocked food right out of their chopsticks while I've been eating (quite accidentally, of course.) That's survival of the fittest in action, right there. :D[/quote]

I can totally relate to the chopsticks thing.
Also, its sucks whenever I go to someone's house and they're playing guitar, but I can't play theirs because I play left-handed. So much for being the fittest there.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']Wholy crap. I was looking at that famous person list, it was all interesting, and then I saw that Osama Bin Laden is a lefty. :shock:[/quote]

Did I mention we're also over-represented among the mentally disturbed? Unconventional minds manifest in many ways.

Some anthropologists believe lefties essentially invented civilization by creating the myriad innovations that allow us to manipulate our environment to a greater extent than any previous species.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']Wholy crap. I was looking at that famous person list, it was all interesting, and then I saw that Osama Bin Laden is a lefty. :shock:[/quote]

Did I mention we're also over-represented among the mentally disturbed? Unconventional minds manifest in many ways.

Some anthropologists believe lefties essentially invented civilization by creating the myriad innovations that allow us to manipulate our environment to a greater extent than any previous species.[/quote]

Indeed. To critique lefties in such a way is unfair. There are many brilliant lefties, it's even been said that lefties in general are smarter then righties (but I didn't say that. *puts up flame shield*). We also tend to be better creatively (arts, music, and writing). Guess that makes up for us being "more prone to disaster", but I have a feeling I'd still have that if I were a righty.

I'm right-handed (but my mom's a leftie). I have a friend who is right-handed, but can use chopsticks, write, and throw with her left. I thought that was pretty awesome.

This is from an article just published in the Journal of Theoretical Biology (it's just the abstract; I can't post a link to the full article and quoting the whole thing isn't worth it):

"Frequency-dependent selection is an important process in the maintenance of genetic variation in fitness. In humans, it has been proposed that the polymorphism of handedness is maintained by negative frequency-dependent selection, through a strategic advantage of left-handers in fighting interactions. Using simple mathematical models, we explore:(1) whether it is possible to predict the range of left-handedness frequencies observed in human populations by the frequency and the violence of fighting interactions; (2) the consequences of the sex differences in the probability of transmission of hand preference to offspring. We show that a wide range of values of the frequency of left-handers can be obtained with realistic changes of the parameters values. Our models reinforce the idea that negative frequency-dependence may have played a role in maintaining left-handedness in human populations, and provide further support for the importance of fighting interactions in the evolution of hand preference. Moreover, they suggest an explanation for the occurrence of left-handedness among women in this context, namely an indirect selective advantage through their male offspring."

Negative-frequency dependency in this case would indicate that being a lefty is only advantageous because it's relatively uncommon. Because it occurs at a low frequency, opponents in fights or sports are generally not expecting it and... ka-pow! So, there you have it. Don't believe it? Go out and sucker-punch a righty and you'll see. They probably won't be expecting it. As Bill Nye would say,"That's the sucker-punch of Science!" ...well...maybe he wouldn't say that. *I* would, though. ;)

[edit: evidentally, we're not a minority on this web site. How does being left-handed tie in with video games and bargain-hunting? Hmmm....in that article, they go on to say that lefties only approach righties in frequency in venues involving direct, head-to-head competition, since that is when the advantage of surprise comes into play, according to their idea.]

[quote name='Querjek']I write left-handed but I do most other things right-handed.[/QUOTE]

Same with me, I write left handed but throw right handed and bat both left and right handed,

[quote name='RBM']Try wielding chopsticks throughout years of family dinners. My sisters aren't quiet in their displeasure whenever one of them is seated to my left. I've actually knocked food right out of their chopsticks while I've been eating (quite accidentally, of course.) That's survival of the fittest in action, right there. :D[/QUOTE]

I would think that being a leftie would make you more adaptable in a right-minded world (excuse the pun) making us lefties more survivable. I'm predominantly a leftie but because my parents forced me to use my right hand more often, I'm now more ambidextrious than I am left-handed. I first learned how to use chopsticks w/ my left hand and self-taught how to use it with my right. Now I can switch on almost anything - baseball, golf clubs, controllers, scissors. I think the only evidence left (pun intended)now of my southpaw roots is writing. I'm still a shitty right-handed writer.

bread's done
Back