Are cliques beneficial or detrimental to CAG?

JSweeney

CAGiversary!
Amongst the membership for the site is a wide variety of people from a myriad of social and economic backgrounds... but just like in many other systems and solutions, homogenous elements seem to clump. This likely will happen in most situations until a body reaches homeostatis, but does this process help or harm CAG?

Do factions of people spur on posting, or detract from it... preferring to find thier own little corners of the board?

I don't really notice that many cliques. I know there's obviously Jimmie, Ugamer, and Zewone but who else is there really? You could say the OTTers but there's just so many people that come and go throughout the OTT that it would be difficult to say thats a clique.

Edit- maybe I'm not in a clique if I can't picture any... :cry:

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I don't really notice that many cliques. I know there's obviously Jimmie, Ugamer, and Zewone but who else is there really? You could say the OTTers but there's just so many people that come and go throughout the OTT that it would be difficult to say thats a clique.

[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with this. I can't say that since I've been a member here I've seen too many cliques so to speak.

yes they are here, and no it is not detremental to CAG. Yes, it may scare some off, but the board is successful site to look for good games cheap. Also the membership continues to grow with the current cliques in place, and deals will continue to come our way.

I don't know that they help OR hurt to be honest. I don't see anything wrong with them. I guess I could be considered part of a clique but I get along with most people on this board. Even the few I have gotten into it with I leave that behind me and would be happy to help them out in the future in most cases. That's just me though and I am sure in some cases cliques can be a detriment. Overall though, I don't think they have a significant impact either way.

I think the funniest clique I can think of is PAD and Quack. Although when a clique only has 2 people its more like a relationship.

Strell and I are the same human being... in the metaphysical sense. Except his tastes in entertainment aren't as good as mine.

It only hurts when the long timers or those who like to do 50+ posts / day start dissing the n00bs. Not saying that is or is not happening - I wouldn't know since I'm considered a lurker. Been on here for almost two years and have just over 150 posts.

[quote name='igreenbe']It only hurts when the long timers or those who like to do 50+ posts / day start dissing the n00bs. Not saying that is or is not happening - I wouldn't know since I'm considered a lurker. Been on here for almost two years and have just over 150 posts.[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed this as much since the post count was dropped from being beneath the avatar. I won't say it doesn't happen because there are times that certain threads are started that are so blatantly stupid that they're asking for it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think the funniest clique I can think of is PAD and Quack. Although when a clique only has 2 people its more like a relationship.[/QUOTE]

actually, i think that is kind of annoying. in fact, i find the whole vs. forum annoying. i go there a lot and sometimes post but every single thread is the same shit in a different pile. whenever i go there it's to post something smart-ass just to try and lighten up the bitching and claw fighting in there.

Soulbrother Brak,

Better get used to my tastes now. When we end up melding into the same metahuman, I'm bringing them over with me.

Plus I get to control the wings. The glorious, glorious wings.

[quote name='Strell']Better get used to my tastes now. When we end up melding into the same metahuman, I'm bringing them over with me.

Plus I get to control the wings. The glorious, glorious wings.[/QUOTE]

Your tastes + Wings = ... unicorn?

NOOOO!!!!

Perhaps that is what humans will refer to the composite form as, but the evolutionary synthesis beckons an array of praise, the likes of which will draw names that gods dare dream to be their own monikers.

Plus, like, the stuff, man. The stuff.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']well there are the Hulkamaniacs but u dont hear from them much[/QUOTE]

What about the (Saucy) Jackamaniacs? They're running wild. Well, the only Jackamaniac there is (Saucy Jack) is running wild. Then again... he isn't really running... or wild... he's just calm and cool.

[quote name='Strell']Perhaps that is what humans will refer to the composite form as, but the evolutionary synthesis beckons an array of praise, the likes of which will draw names that gods dare dream to be their own monikers.

Plus, like, the stuff, man. The stuff.[/QUOTE]

It's symbolic, really; the unicorn thing.

It's something that young girls believe in, with child-like wonder... then, when they grow titties and suck a few dicks, they stop believing. Much like how all girls claim they want a gentleman -- you and I... but do their best to push us away.

[/EMO]

[quote name='Brak']

It's something that young girls believe in, with child-like wonder... then, when they grow titties and suck a few dicks, they stop believing. Much like how all girls claim they want a gentleman -- you and I... but do their best to push us away.

[/EMO][/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='Brak']It's symbolic, really; the unicorn thing.

[/EMO][/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Brak always comes through with some great writing. He should write a book. I'd buy a copy.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']:rofl:

Brak always comes through with some great writing. He should write a book. I'd buy a copy.[/QUOTE]

Film, baby. Film.

I've been kicking around many comic book and comic strip ideas, too. But I'm a lazy fuck.

[quote name='Brak']Film, baby. Film.

I've been kicking around many comic book and comic strip ideas, too. But I'm a lazy fuck.[/QUOTE]

Film, huh? I like you even more now, Brak. I'm something of a filmmaker myself. I just need a cast and crew most of the time.

Comics, too? That'd be pretty cool. I think you'd make a great comic book creator, too.

[quote name='Strell']SJ = Corpus Christi, Brak.

That means near me. Near us, even.[/QUOTE]

Didn't quite catch what you were trying to say. Are you saying that I live near you? Or Brak, or what?

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Didn't quite catch what you were trying to say. Are you saying that I live near you? Or Brak, or what?[/QUOTE]

You live near Strell.

But Strell and I are soulbrothers, hence he be we and we be "us".

if you think about it the regular posters on CAG are a clique, we put down other message boards and stick up for our group. There is a leader, CHeapy and sure there are different faction in the clique, its still just one big clique

[quote name='Strell']I'm in McAllen, he's elsewhere (I want to say Michigan), if that clarifies.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I don't think there's many CAGs around our parts. There's a good number in Texas, but not anywhere nearby.

the only "cliques" i've seen are the separate cag online gaming cliques like halo 2, nfl, nhl, etc....plus otters and a few others that arent as noticeable to me...but they are out there...it's not detrimental to the CAG community, it's just that some people prefer to chat with others more...

Brak, Strell- I have no fucking idea what you guys are talking about. It's like trying to watch Cromartie High School, but without a gorilla.

I would have to say that IF there are clique it would be detrimental as a clique is a group of exclusive friends/ people that exclusion of all others not in that group is very detrimental in any sort of social gathering if the purpose of said gathering is to foster communication (in this case cheap gaming info). That being said I do not believe there are cliques on this board, there are groups of friends and acquaintences but for the most part people seem to be very open with talking with others. There are the uber regulars here who have been around for along time and who have posted a fair amount, but nearly all seem to be pretty open in regards to whom they 'talk' to.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Brak, Strell- I have no fucking idea what you guys are talking about. It's like trying to watch Cromartie High School, but without a gorilla.[/QUOTE]

Neither do we... and I consider myself a gorilla. ;o

Beneficial. I have never seen anything wrong with it. As you said JSweeney, it's in all facets of society and is simply common that groups of people would migrate towards each other. I actually wrote a paper on a similiar subject for a psych class when the topic was nature vs nurture. Simply put it's natural, it's in our genetics to start to group together. It's sort of defense mechanism, strength in numbers, etc. Also, of all the sites I go to, and all the boards I go to, CAG has the least amount of "Cliques" I've seen. Generally most people feel as one under the title of CAG. It's just that some more than others will go towards each because they like to talk to each more, are more regular on the site, etc. I can only think of the NFL/NHL/Halo2 leagues, Anime Posters/Thread people (I guess I can be counted even though I don't post in it, mostly just anime in the OTT), Music and Movie thread people, and Otters as cliques truly. But like another poster mentioned, the OTTers really doesn't count much as a click as there are a lot people that either post regularily in them, have posted in them, came and went, etc. for it to be counted as a "clique"

I mean, theres people I respond to more than others - I can name about 10 or so I communicate with more than other but like it was said, its not exclusive - I like new traders :D Unless they're a douche bag n00b who joined this morning posting about their EB games in emerals mall or scamming a broken Xbox :D

Shit, am I in a clique?

fuck, i've been working so hard, I even got those pants, yah know, the cool ones that say JNCO on them that have pockets down to your ankles.

And I got super shaggy hair and drink Jolt.

fuck, this shit is so hard, I fucking hate everyone. fuck eveyrone, except people who want to join my fuck EVERYONE CLIQUE.

PEACE, fuckERS... (except new members of team fuck everyone.)

[quote name='Brak']Film, baby. Film.

I've been kicking around many comic book and comic strip ideas, too. But I'm a lazy fuck.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I do. I used to think that I was too lazy too in the past but after many a shitty job, i decided that life is too fucking short to be a slave-worker. Its better to do what you want to do because you are going die eventually. Its better to die with a fullfilled life.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Let's not forget the posessors of gigantic mexi-cocks, who have impeccable taste in everything. Whistle :whistle2:\"[/QUOTE]

ah, you have one too? Good to know I can be in a clique now :applause:

The only clique I know here is JimmyMac, Supadupacheap and Ugamer. I dont know any other cliques here.

On a personal note, I dont belong to a clique in real life (outside of CAG). All my friends are so different from each other; They dont necessarily hang out with each other.

I visit a lot of different boards (under various names) and I would have to say this site really doesn't have many cliques. There are just too many people here to get to know anyone but the mass posters. You get to know people better at other smaller boards, where people tend to make friends with certain members or form small groups.

[quote name='Xevious']Thats what I do. I used to think that I was too lazy too in the past but after many a shitty job, i decided that life is too fucking short to be a slave-worker. Its better to do what you want to do because you are going die eventually. Its better to die with a fullfilled life.[/QUOTE]

I'm still trying to work that shit out. :O

bread's done
Back