Are Mace Griffin and Red Faction II worth checking out?

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!
I enjoyed RFII on the PC.....would like to give it a cheap whirl on the XBOX......is it fun, or frustrating with the joypad..?

Also, what about Mace Griffin...since its practically free at EB now......

[quote name='HeadRusch']I enjoyed RFII on the PC.....would like to give it a cheap whirl on the XBOX......is it fun, or frustrating with the joypad..?

Also, what about Mace Griffin...since its practically free at EB now......[/QUOTE]

Red Faction 2 is awesome and i've been campaigning that for months now. Buy it!

I actually enjoyed Mace Griffin quite a bit but it's not for everyone. A few missions have timed sequences where you must make it through a level (that you've never seen before) with a bunch of dead-end paths, while taking sniper fire in the ass before the clock runs out. Those parts of the game are purely trial and error and somewhat infuriating, but there is still a lot to like about the game. The weapons are pretty cool and they all have alternate fire capabilities. The running and gunning action is well done and there are plenty of sniper opportunities. The integration of on-foot missions with spaceship dogfighting is amazing, and having to chase someone on-foot then jump into your ship and continue to chase them out into space is a very unique dynamic. I've heard some complaints about the spaceship controls, but they're fine once you get used to them.

But make no mistake about it, this game is NOT EASY and certain missions demand almost perfect execution to complete them. Overall though, it's got a great Han Solo kinda feel to it, and if you've got the patience to get in to it (and can find it cheap) I'd say go for it. You may just be surprised.

(XBOX version only... PS2 version is nowhere near as solid)

Mace Griffin was pretty mediocre; I sold it when I started having more fun just shooting around randomly than actually trying to beat the level.

And I hated Red Faction II, but if you like it, it'd probably be better if you stick with the PC. The controls were alright for the PS2 version, but I'd pretty much guarantee that the PC controls would be better than any console version.

Thanks guys...since the price is so right on some of these, and I converted some mall credit into an EBEdge card and some gift cards, I might jump on a few of these. FPS's for consoles really have to be "timed right" for me to enjoy them.

Example, I enjoyed Timesplitters 2 single player...I enjoyed Halo 1 and 2 singleplayer, I loved Killswitch on PS2 (what can I say, I like a game that moves a bit slower and I dug the weapons and environments). But I absolutely hated Unreal championship on XBOX.....

I might also pick up Rainbow Six for XBOX...I didn't really care for the multiplayer demo that came on an OXM disc, but I do like the idea of a leisurely SP experience, ordering my team around with the microphone and picking off my targets at will.

I played through both games and liked them. Mace is a little mediocre, as some have said, but Henry Rollins as the main character rocks. Red Faction II is fun, but a little hard -- I admit I used a cheat near the end. I still think the Geo-Mod engine could be used better. However, like I said, I liked both games and think FPS fans should check them out.

Deus Ex is one of my favorite series of all time.

I still like Red Faction II for offline FPS multi-player. (It has bots.) The single player campaign was fun for a play through. And the VO of the main bad guy over the intro screen is pretty cool :)

Haven't played Mace, but I've seen it for less than $5 shipped from EB IIRC. I might check it out next time I need a POed game fo SAVER.

[quote name='Ledhed']Mace Griffin is voiced by Henry Rollins, which is really the only positive I can attribute to the game.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I think that Mace Griffin is very below average. I didn't even bother to finish it after I played the first few levels.
I think Red Faction 2 is ok, but not as good as the PS2 orginal. I do like the multiplayer.

[quote name='wubb']I still like Red Faction II for offline FPS multi-player. (It has bots.) The single player campaign was fun for a play through. And the VO of the main bad guy over the intro screen is pretty cool :)

Haven't played Mace, but I've seen it for less than $5 shipped from EB IIRC. I might check it out next time I need a POed game fo SAVER.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the bots make it pretty interesting.

I love how seamless the spaceflight and on foot first person stuff is in Mace Griffin but that's about all that's good.

Red Faction II is pretty crappy compared to its fantastic prequel.

[quote name='Ledhed']Mace Griffin is voiced by Henry Rollins, which is really the only positive I can attribute to the game.[/QUOTE]
Seconded.

I loved RF1 when I had it on ps2. Never went out and bought 2 for xbox, but multiplayer with bots is fun, and of course the geomod is the best.

bread's done
Back