Are Tales from the crypt season worth buying??

2nd series so far was the best, IMO I like em because I have always loved the horror series like Tales from the Darkside, or Twilight Zone. There isn't really alot of extras but overall I would say if you like em buy em.

Holy crap, when did they release season 3 on dvd?

Looks like I missed the boat on that one cause season 4 comes out tomorrow.

I really liked the show back when it was running. If you like the Creep Show movies you'll like them.

The one in particular I remember was about a guy who got 9 lives in a freak accident with a cat. Twisted and very funny.

[quote name='Cmoore58']Are Tales from the crypt season worth buying?? I see BB and CC have them on sale this week.[/quote]

As a comic book collector and an avid DVD fanatic I will state th following:

1. If you are a fan of the comic books (reprints and otherwise), I'd say YES.

2. If you are a fan of the participants (Zemeckis, Donner, et al)..... I'd say YES.

3. If you are looking for something horrifying like Audition, this will probably disappoint you.

Back in the day this was considered a "risk" for HBO and little did they know of the genre's true audience size.

There are a number of brilliant episodes, a number of good episodes and there are some episodes that are merely "Ehhhh".
But this is true with any anthology series.

I did NOT buy these when they first became available and was disappointed that HBO was putting them out from the "best" source materials available. They have not spent a dime to polish these sets up to make the best presentation possible and as such makes me believe that issuing these seys is still considered a risk. I AM picking them up now because of the price drops.

Entertainment value is good throughout and rewatchability is low (except for the few great episodes each season has).

And John Kassir's take on the CryptKeeper is nearly perfect.

What I would suggest..... seek out on of the early reprinted comic books and read the stories.... If you like them and their macabre twist endings, then you'll like this series.

If you prefer more straight up horror as in Audition, you won't love this series.

Just my opinion.

I have the 1st season. It's a little cheesy, but if you liked it back in the day, then there is probably no reason why you wouldn't like it now.

[quote name='wubb']I really liked the show back when it was running. If you like the Creep Show movies you'll like them.

The one in particular I remember was about a guy who got 9 lives in a freak accident with a cat. Twisted and very funny.[/QUOTE]

I remember a scarier one with a creepy looking girl in a high house that always chewed purple bubble gum.

[quote name='speedy1961']
If you prefer more straight up horror as in Audition, you won't love this series.
[/QUOTE]

I never really found audition that scary. Then again ive been exposed to alot of asian horror, so maybe im numb to it.

Before the seasons came out on DVD, my b/f kept bitching about how if they released them, he'd buy them all. He even emailed HBO several times about it. He grew up watching TFTC, and he loves watching them again and again now.

WHATEVER YOU DO, SKIP SEASON ONE!!! IT WAS TERRIBLE!!!!!! I remember watching this show all the time, back when it was on HBO. And in Season 1 (which sucks additionally for only having SIX TOTAL EPISODES), I liked maybe one of them (the one with Bill Sadler, who also played the villain in Die Hard 2 and "Sloan" in DS9).

Anyways, buy the series but skip season one....

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Skjop season1. It onl; has six episodes.[/QUOTE]

But it came with a really cool documentary if you liked the comics.

[quote name='iceblast21']WHATEVER YOU DO, SKIP SEASON ONE!!! IT WAS TERRIBLE!!!!!! I remember watching this show all the time, back when it was on HBO. And in Season 1 (which sucks additionally for only having SIX TOTAL EPISODES), I liked maybe one of them (the one with Bill Sadler, who also played the villain in Die Hard 2 and "Sloan" in DS9).

Anyways, buy the series but skip season one....[/QUOTE]

The first season of the series is quite cheesy and lacking compared to how the rest of the show fared, but it does have three favorites of mine.

I love "The Man Who Was Death". Excellent noir-ish horror tale, even though the ending could be seen from a mile a way (really most of the first season was like this, but oh so enjoyable).

The other two that I really liked were Dig That Cat....He's Real Gone because it is probably the most engrossing and fully executed of the shorts from season one, plus it has Joey Pants.

Lover Come Hack To Me was another pretty good episode. At least I found it enjoyable with Amanda Plummer in it.

[quote name='xgrimx']I never really found audition that scary. Then again ive been exposed to alot of asian horror, so maybe im numb to it.[/quote]

Heck!

Your avatar is Ichi!!!!!:applause:

Now is the best time to get them all. I only had bought the first season but yesterday I bought the remaining seasons that I needed. Season 5 comes out on Halloween.

I remember one with one guy killing off all his wife's pets and stuffing them until one day his wife stuffed his husband

[quote name='RaPtOrsIII']I remember one with one guy killing off all his wife's pets and stuffing them until one day his wife stuffed his husband[/QUOTE]

That one was from the first season and called something like collection complete. Pretty good if I must say.

bread's done
Back