Are there a lot of people out there that actually like in-game collectibles?

blindinglights

CAGiversary!
As in, hunting down hidden packages in Grand Theft Auto, dog tags in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, or the movie reels in L.A. Noire.

I always hate these types of things in games and just use a guide if I feel like getting them, but I always wonder if there are people that actually enjoy searching for them since everyone I've ever talked to about it generally finds them annoying as well.

It varies from game to game but in general I don't like them.

GTA IV's pigeons were bullshit, 3D Dot Game Heroes had plenty of collectibles I hated, I'll take a pass on Uncharted's artifacts, and Banjo Kazooie is just ridiculous. I'm also playing through Killzone Liberation from the PSN outage and ah, having to collect every single money briefcase for the first three and a half chapters to have enough cash to upgrade a single gun is pretty bullshit too.

However if they're done right like, say, Dragon Quest's famous mini medals I can't get enough of them.

some people legitimately enjoy them if it means an achievement or trophy. or they say they enjoy it, but really it's just a form of OCD

[quote name='panzerfaust']really it's just a form of OCD[/QUOTE]

This. If it's like something reasonable (like AC2's 100 feathers) then I'll go for it, but the 300+ in Batman: AA, forget it.

I only enjoy it in stuff like Mario Galaxy or Prince of Persia 2008 where it actually seems to involve more gameplay.

Actually i didnt mind collecting the artifacts in UC2. But like in MW2 and Black ops getting the intel is a pain.

I don't like it when they're put in there just for the sake of an achievement. If they give me something worthwhile (like costumes in Wolverine) then I'll put some effort into it.

Not sure if this counts but I did like the trophies in Smash Bros Melee and Brawl.

I hate collectibles and I wish games would get rid of them. Nothing worse then looking at the achievement list for a game and seeing several for collectibles.

When they're not pretty much impossible to find, they can be a good bonus for a game. Just Cause 2 has all of their collectibles on the map, so you can find them without too much trouble while exploring the map and liberating villages.

[quote name='j-cart']This. If it's like something reasonable (like AC2's 100 feathers) then I'll go for it, but the 300+ in Batman: AA, forget it.[/QUOTE]
For me the Riddles were ridiculously easy and I got them in no time at all and I really enjoyed collecting them. Guess they were easier since I'm a long time Batfan, though.

I enjoy collectables in quite a few games, Alan Wake, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Metal Gear Solid 3, especially.

Depends on what it is. To me, the treasure in UC2 were interesting to find because occasionally you'd catch a glint of light and it was cool to have to shoot some of them down. Also, I liked how it let you see a picture of each on e and give you a description. To collect things just for the sake of collecting them though? Nah, more times than not I hate it. I'm actually quite surprised that I grabbed all the blast shards in inFamous 2, the first game I actually got 100% of the collectible items.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']For me the Riddles were ridiculously easy and I got them in no time at all and I really enjoyed collecting them. Guess they were easier since I'm a long time Batfan, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I also really liked doing all the riddles in Arkham Asylum. I thought they were really well implemented into the game. Unlike the feathers in Assassin's Creed which are just placed randomly throughout the map, the riddles in Arkham Asylum actually had little puzzles to go along with them. Plus, you can get in-game maps that help lead you in the right direction. I solved all the riddles without a guide, and had a lot of fun doing it. For me, that is an example of the right way to do collectibles.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I also really liked doing all the riddles in Arkham Asylum. I thought they were really well implemented into the game. Unlike the feathers in Assassin's Creed which are just placed randomly throughout the map, the riddles in Arkham Asylum actually had little puzzles to go along with them. Plus, you can get in-game maps that help lead you in the right direction. I solved all the riddles without a guide, and had a lot of fun doing it. For me, that is an example of the right way to do collectibles.[/QUOTE]

My problem was that I just wanted to fight with Batman, not go treasure hunting with him. I think I got around 200 of them, but 300 was just too many to go back for.

[quote name='j-cart']My problem was that I just wanted to fight with Batman, not go treasure hunting with him. I think I got around 200 of them, but 300 was just too many to go back for.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can understand that. But I like the fact that if you do want to solve the riddles, they at least provide some puzzle-solving and not just mindless collecting.

The only time I've ever really enjoyed it was in Crackdown.. I finally found all 500 agility orbs, I'm only missing like 15-20 hidden orbs..

[quote name='Mixer236']Depends on what it is. To me, the treasure in UC2 were interesting to find because occasionally you'd catch a glint of light and it was cool to have to shoot some of them down. Also, I liked how it let you see a picture of each on e and give you a description. To collect things just for the sake of collecting them though? Nah, more times than not I hate it. I'm actually quite surprised that I grabbed all the blast shards in inFamous 2, the first game I actually got 100% of the collectible items.[/QUOTE]
The treasures in UC2 were interesting to collect, but I never went out of my way to try and find every last one.

The only game(s) I really tried to find them all for were the GTA games, but only because they gave you a weapon pickup at your hideouts for finding each 10 of them, which I believe they did away with in San Andreas.:bomb:

But I think they brought it back in GTA IV and Episodes, which was a nice addition, even though they got rid of the Vigilante mini game.:cry:

Of course that mode woulda been a breeze in Episodes with the Buzzard attack chopper with the rockets and mini guns.;)

I don't mind too much unless they go overboard with it. Fable III and Alice: Madness Returns both felt like Collectibles: The Game at times.

For most of the time, no.

Now Zelda I think does it ok. Finding collectable heart pieces and stuff enhance the experience to me since you get a nice reward for finding stuff. Other games though where it's just find these objects for no fucking reason, I hate.

Oh, that I agree with. I don't mind hidden things when it adds to your health etc. like in Zelda or Metroid.

I just hate ones that serve no purpose other than getting achievements or alternate costumes etc. in games like Assassin's Creed etc.

I'll really only go back and get them on a second play through or after I finish the game if I can. And that's only if I actually enjoyed the game and they promote exploration like in AC2. That is the last game I played where I went and got all the feathers. I really liked looking at the architecture and manoeuvring through the cities so I didn't mind spending a few hours hunting down the feathers.

As with any game: it depends. I hate crap like the flags in Assassin's Creed or the pigeons in GTAIV that are just there for the sake of being there and when it is pretty much impossible to find them all without a guide or a serious amount of free time.

I loved finding everything in Batman:AA though because they were integrated into the game and also IF YOU ARE GOING TO INCLUDE A POINTLESS COLLECT-A-THON YOU MUST ALSO INCLUDE A CHECKLIST OR SOME SORT OF GUIDE THAT CHARTS YOUR PROGRESS AND HELPS YOU FIND EVERYTHING. Just seeing 234/500 at the top of the screen for something like Crackdown is idiotic.

[quote name='j-cart']This. If it's like something reasonable (like AC2's 100 feathers) then I'll go for it, but the 300+ in Batman: AA, forget it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought the Riddler challenges in Arkham Asylum were enjoyable. It wasn't like "go to gamefaqs and print out a map"

I also would prefer if these collectables had an actual reward to them. Anything besides a god damn trophy/achievement.

If collecting said items increase my health or gives me some sort of useful advantage in the game then I will try to find them. But if they dont then Ill only grab ones I stumble across.

If they are part of like a trophy/achievement I will casually look for them. But I finished like la noire missing only 2 gold reels and 1 newspaper and could have gone back to find them for the achievement but I honestly dont give a big enough shit. So if I find them on play through get the trophy then thats cool, if not I dont care and dont want to put effort into getting them.

Unlocking art or alternate costumes does nothing for me for finding them either. So in the end I might if it benefits my character in game, if not then Ill only get ones I run across and not go out of my way.

If there's a map for them or a stat tracker for each one I don't mind as much. Though if it's a linear game and they do it just really to pad it out (manuscripts I was fine with, but coffee thermoses, TV shows, hidden weapon chests and radio shows? Really, Alan Wake? REALLY?) then yeah it gets stupid. That and I do like it when they help advance the story or at least give me some kinda reward like behind the scenes or extra costumes.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't mind too much unless they go overboard with it. Fable III and Alice: Madness Returns both felt like Collectibles: The Game at times.[/QUOTE]

Yea, the radula rooms and memories in Alice actually served a point so I didn't mind them, but the bottles literally had no context and absolutely no reward. Really fucking awful.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't mind too much unless they go overboard with it. Fable III and Alice: Madness Returns both felt like Collectibles: The Game at times.[/QUOTE]

Agreed with Alice: Madness Return. Everything else took a side-seat to collecting junk. But as a gamer you can't just bypass things, cause if you did you'll be missing 75% of the game.

Love collectables. Collectathon platformers are probably my favorite type of game. I miss the shit like getting all the music notes in Banjo-Kazooie, all the Jinjos, all the puzzle pieces, etc.

Alice: TMR is my GOTY so far and I hate that there aren't more games like this these days. Something so satisfying about exploring every nook and cranny of a game world.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Love collectables. Collectathon platformers are probably my favorite type of game. I miss the shit like getting all the music notes in Banjo-Kazooie, all the Jinjos, all the puzzle pieces, etc.

Alice: TMR is my GOTY so far and I hate that there aren't more games like this these days. Something so satisfying about exploring every nook and cranny of a game world.[/QUOTE]

I do tend to like collectables in platformers. They usually lead you to secret areas and fun additional platforming bits.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I also really liked doing all the riddles in Arkham Asylum. I thought they were really well implemented into the game. Unlike the feathers in Assassin's Creed which are just placed randomly throughout the map, the riddles in Arkham Asylum actually had little puzzles to go along with them. Plus, you can get in-game maps that help lead you in the right direction. I solved all the riddles without a guide, and had a lot of fun doing it. For me, that is an example of the right way to do collectibles.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Also the ending felt worth it, understated but a pretty neat twist. The other collectable, the recordings, were also interesting.

I also like the Golden screws in Ratchet and Clank.

Other then that I generally despise collecting stuff (but usually can't help myself...)

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']They really need to do away with the whole collectable thing in ALL games!!! It drags on for the game ...[/QUOTE]

why should they get rid of them if they are optional? You don't have to collec them if you don't want to

bread's done
Back