Are there any [painless] ways to get a 20gb wifi?

cochesecochese

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I've got a chance to pick up a 20 gig unit for cheap. I'm talking real cheap. There's only one problem: No wifi!

Now I've regretted selling my 60 gig for the longest time but now I finally have the chance to pick up a backwards compatible unit. Even if it's completely busted the $150 fee to fix it from SONY would be fine.

If there's an easy (like, plug 'n play) way to get this thing wifi then I'm going to snag it right away. Any ideas?

yeah, just buy another router, put dd-wrt firmware on it, and set it up as a wireless bridge. i dont know why people spend so much money on those external 360 adapters, as this is a much cheaper solution (and it has a lot more value since you can run additional devices off of it).

a good, cheap router that can support dd-wrt is the linksys wrt54g. they probably go for pretty cheap on ebay.... newegg also sells refurbs of them. if you are willing to wait, newegg sometimes sells the refurbs for as low as $20 (i paid around $24 when they were running a sale, but ive seen them sell them for 20).

tutorial for installing dd-wrt on it
tutorial for setting it up as a bridge

[quote name='cochesecochese']What about using a crossover cable and bridging through my PC?[/QUOTE]

ive never used a crossover cable before but to my knowledge, it wont do what youre looking to do. AFAIK, a crossover cable is used to connect two devices directly together (enabling you to do file transfers, etc.), but it wont allow you to access the internet connection of one device from the other.

EDIT: you can use internet connection sharing (a feature of windows) to do this and it wont require a crossover cable. in fact, you wont need anything except you ps3, a PC, and a standard ethernet cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, not really. Because certain WiFi features such as Ad-Hoc party, will NOT work on a 20GB PS3. That's part of the reason I bought a PS3 slim and considering selling my 20GB PS3.

[quote name='lolwaut']ive never used a crossover cable before but to my knowledge, it wont do what youre looking to do. AFAIK, a crossover cable is used to connect two devices directly together (enabling you to do file transfers, etc.), but it wont allow you to access the internet connection of one device from the other.

EDIT: you can use internet connection sharing (a feature of windows) to do this and it wont require a crossover cable. in fact, you wont need anything except you ps3, a PC, and a standard ethernet cable.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Pretty much EVERY modern device with an ethernet port can adjust based on the type of cable connected. A crossover cable will work just fine.

To guy that I quoted: A standard ethernet cable IS a crossover. That's generally what you'll find at Best Buy, etc. Regardless though, it won't matter as the port can adjust based on the cable config.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']IMO, not really. Because certain WiFi features such as Ad-Hoc party, will NOT work on a 20GB PS3. That's part of the reason I bought a PS3 slim and considering selling my 20GB PS3.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh but this box will only be for playing upscaled PS2 games and maybe some LBP. Thus the internet is only necessary for firmware updates and down/uploading of PSN content. This won't be my 'main' PS3 if that makes sense.

bread's done
Back