Are there any stores that accept a game return without a receipt?

Inf^Shini

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
So if you get a game as a gift but no gift receipt is included, what store(s) would accept it as a return item?

I've read in a couple threads about Walmart allowing one return per year or something like that without a receipt. I'd just like to put the game towards another purchase or something to that effect.

Trade them here on CAG or Ebay them. You might get less then the store price but it's a good alternative.

Thats what im gonna do for my unwanted gifts.

Walmart accepted 3 every 6 months last I checked. According to people though, if it's priced over $50 they won't take it. Not sure how true that is.

Best Buy accepts one per year, and for people claiming return fraud: Stores may have limited the number of receipt-less returns due to return fraud, but this is the reason they still allow them. Some customers have legitimate reasons for not having a receipt. If I get a game from a relative with no receipt and I want to return it, I already know it came from Walmart or somewhere similar.

TL;DR: Best Buy will take it, and don't let people guilt you into not doing it. You aren't doing anything wrong.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']So if you get a game as a gift but no gift receipt is included, what store(s) would accept it as a return item?

I've read in a couple threads about Walmart allowing one return per year or something like that without a receipt. I'd just like to put the game towards another purchase or something to that effect.[/quote]

C'mon Inf you're a CAG vet. Other than the fact that you're a Packers fan you're an intelligent person. You know better than to create a return fraud thread like this.

Well I'm just seeing what my options are since I don't exactly want to ask the person for a gift receipt.

Reason being more than likely they went through some trouble getting the gift and I don't want to seem ungrateful by just turning around and asking them for a gift receipt b/c I didn't want the game, it's a bit more complicated than that though.

I was thinking about trading or Ebaying, but I'd hate to go through all that trouble and I'm more of an instant gratification person :whistle2:$

Honestly, I wasn't aware something like this would be considered return fraud :whistle2:k, I just read stories n such so I figured it wasn't anything bad

Walmart will take it, I brought back a copy of Halo 3 to them with no receipt they do take your Id though (I presume to make sure you don't do this all the time) but this time of year a lot of places will allow it. the halo 3 i returned there was the collectors edition, and I got 69.99 in credit, so I don't think they have a 50 dollar limit as another poster said. but that was just my experience

go a tales of thw world PSP for a gift and they said they dont remember where they got it from.

LOL even though stores will take back item without a recept today im too lazy to go out and do it . maybe im getting older or lazyier but years in the past i would of returned it today.

i probally just throw it into my collection next all of the ps2 ff sealed games LOL I still remember paying 35 for FF12 thinking it was a hell of deal last year and i still have to open it. now its 15 and i picked up the collectors ed off goozex

Target will take it back but they only allow 2 non-receipt returns per year and I think the item has to be under 20$, also they take your license. Also target will not be taking non-receipt returns starting on Jan 1st from what I hear.

[quote name='slidecage']LOL i was in line tonight buying lottery tickets and a women in front of me was trying to return an open package of underwere.[/QUOTE]

was she hot? details, but only if she was smoking hot

[quote name='monkeydeew']*grammer edit

Are there any stores that accept a game return without a receipt?[/quote]

Ahahaha, you know, I was just thinking about that when I was at work. I was like "wait a sec, I fudged up on the title..."

[quote name='whitedeath']what game are u trying to return?[/quote]

Madden 2008 for the Wii

Definitely not worth keeping around, at least for me. If it was the PS3 version I'd have reconsidered.

take it back and get madden for the ps3 this way . you will not commit return fraud as most here would say you are trying to do now

[quote name='Inf^Shini']
Madden 2008 for the Wii

Definitely not worth keeping around, at least for me. If it was the PS3 version I'd have reconsidered.[/QUOTE]

Why not just tell your gift-giver that? "I do want the game, but I actually need it for another system... could I get the receipt for an exchange?" At least that way they'll know they got it mostly right. And once you have it, there's no way for them to know if you really exchanged it or not. ;)

Returns, most will not, as a matter of policy, but some are lenient. Exchanges and store credit most likely.

I was able to return a game to CC, for store credit, after a bit of a wait, asking to speak to a (sub)manager and they didn't even check my id. Me buying Rock Band 360 SE might have helped, but I still got the money on a giftcard, and paid for rockband in full (10% gamers discount).
edit: CC doesn't do receipt-less returns, btw.

I called up Best Buy and they told me they would allow it towards store credit, which is all good since I'm waitin' on Rock Band to be available and I'll just put it towards that. I just had to provide the UPC code and then they gave me the ok, now all I have to do is stop by.

Jesus fucking Christ, he's a CAG Veteran. It's not like he is some newbie asking which stores are good for flipping games, "BUT DARR ITZ A FRAUD THREAD!!!"

CAG is seriously going downhill lately.

[quote name='yukine']Jesus fucking Christ, he's a CAG Veteran. It's not like he is some newbie asking which stores are good for flipping games, "BUT DARR ITZ A FRAUD THREAD!!!"

CAG is seriously going downhill lately.[/quote]

being a CAG veteren is even more reason why the question should not have to be asked in the first place...

[quote name='whitedeath']if u want store credit or whatever then i see nothing wrong as i am pretty sure u will be picking up another game[/quote]
Yea, that's all I was looking for.

I got a game I didn't/won't play and would rather "put it to use" by returning it towards something I actually want within the same store, that's all. The only thing is that I was never provided with a gift receipt. Ironically, I was given a gift receipt with The Orange Box which I obviously want to keep.

I didn't want to ask them for a gift receipt for several valid reasons that I don't need to explain to anyone here.

[quote name='whitedeath']tell then u want to exchange it for same game different system. problem solved[/QUOTE]

Or say you need to exchange the disc because it skips or is scratched. Not returning it, tell them you're getting the same game.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']It was an innocent question about a topic I had no prior knowledge of. Why would I ask the question otherwise?

You guys :roll:[/quote]

well...to be fair you did say in your original post that you read about it being allowed in Wal-mart...obviously you missed all the other posts stating on how questionable it is to return something without a receipt to a store it was not brought at :roll:

when i went to my bestbuy in west la today they handed out a flyer about holiday returns. The extended holiday period lasts until january 31, 2008. You can return items without a receipt and you will get store credit back for the lowest price of the item in the last 60 days. You only get a limit of 6 cd/dvd/video game returns total. They take your drivers license info. Although there was a part on the flyer that said that they can deny you returning without a receipt if they feel like it. Maybe this is ymmv but thought it could help those out who got stuck with some duplicate games given during xmas.

That'd be nice if it's true, I was given GH3 for Christmas but it was unfortunately the one with the Xplorer which I already own from GH2. I know it was purchased at Best Buy, but I don't have a receipt with it. It'd be nice if I could exchange it for the Les Paul and pay the difference and what have you.

[quote name='yukine']That'd be nice if it's true, I was given GH3 for Christmas but it was unfortunately the one with the Xplorer which I already own from GH2. I know it was purchased at Best Buy, but I don't have a receipt with it. It'd be nice if I could exchange it for the Les Paul and pay the difference and what have you.[/quote]

You can do that. When you return it you are given store credit so you can put it towards the Les Paul and pay the difference.

Lol one of my friends down in FL had his 360 RRoD on him a few weeks ago and told me his brilliant plan to take it back to a best buy for an exchange tomorrow even though 1, he got it as a gift last year and 2, he's been using it for a year. He claims best buy is taking anything and everything back until Dec 31 for store credit with no receipt. I am waiting for him to call me to tell me it didn't work and that he ordered his coffin.

:rofl:

Weird. I went to BB the day after Xmas and they wouldnt let me get store credit for a game. They said 100% receipt required. Same with Target and Walmart. I got lucky at GS.

bread's done
Back