are there any wine connoisseurs out there?

jughead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
203 (99%)
I just got on a wine kick. It must be because of the holidays. Is anyone else going through this. Also, I like red wine and if anyone has any suggestion as to a specific wine to try give me a holler.

I enjoy wine myself, bully hill is very good

It's nice to be from the great lakes region myself as there are alot of nice wineries

[quote name='JSweeney']Represent the ghetto! Buy some boone's farm right now!![/quote]

:rofl:

That said, the word is "connoisseur." If you can't spell it right, maybe you should lay off the wine while you're online... :wink:

If these guys aren't just kidding, this is one of the weirdest flames I've ever seen. If everyone that misspelled a word in their subject was treated like this, there would be a lot less CAGs.

[quote name='Arakias']I'm with Gothic Walrus, know what to spell or what you are talking about first![/quote]

thats enough out of you girlyman.

Yellow Tail is one of my favorites peticularly the Shiraz, also for around 8 bucks a bottle it's a great price. Also alot of choices really need to be made depending upon where you are located. Being in NY I usually prefer a Long Island wine, but thats just me

[quote name='repetske']If these guys aren't just kidding, this is one of the weirdest flames I've ever seen. If everyone that misspelled a word in their subject was treated like this, there would be a lot less CAGs.[/quote]

I was trying to joke around with him - notice the "lay off the wine while you're online" part of the sentence...

That said, I can't offer any useful advice. I'm 18 and I've never had wine in my life. My suggestion would be to skip the stuff you get from convenience stores. :)

I have found that just about any Australian Shiraz is outstanding. Don't worry about the price, the cheap ones, meaning 6-8 bucks a bottle, seem to be just as good as the more expensive ones. Course since i live in southern Louisiana where liquor prices are notoriously cheap, things may be more expensive where you live.

Well, Beaujolais Nouveau (sp?) is a very popular red wine; it comes out every year around the second week of November, and it tends to turn (spoil) rather quickly (6 months to 1 year), so it must be drunk in the season.

Beaujolais is also cheap for a good red (~$10/bottle), is a very spicy red (good for fall/winter), and is not a dry wine at all (like a cabernet sauvignon, which sucks all the moisture out of your mouth when you take a sip of it). Georges Dobeuf (yet again, sp?) produces the best Beaujolais, and they are the easiest to find; their bottle labels are best described as "mardis gras camouflage."

Yellow Tail is also decent and cheap, but Penfolds is a much better Australian Winery.

Whatever you do, stay the fuck away from Linneman's. Godawful.

Hope this helps.

myke.

[quote name='ian1418']I have found that just about any Australian Shiraz is outstanding.[/quote]

Technically speaking, all shiraz is Australian. Since wine is most often named after the region it is made in, no non-Australian wine can call themselves "shiraz." Then again, Boone's Farm is considered "wine," so perhaps anything is possible. The closest you'll get to a Shiraz is a Syrah, which isn't any different from a Shiraz, except in one respect: Syrahs come from California.

There's a west coast winery that sells super cheap ($2/bottle) wine which is supposed to be hella good, and its nickname is "Two Buck Chuck." (the actual name is Charles something-or-other). California winerys are having a fit b/c it calls itself a "Napa Valley Wine," but it is not located in Napa Valley. The elitist NV wineries think that Chuck is sullying their name.

So, jughead, what part of KY do you represent? I'm from Newport, myself.

myke.

Jackaroo is a great cheap red wine. Cheaper than yellow tail and better. Try the big red or the shiraz.

As for Two Buck Chuch (charles shaw) Its pretty good, but only the whites, the reds are pretty crap. Your better off buying a box in that case.

Oh, and sangiovese is my favorite type of wine if you can find a good one, but they can be hard to find.

I don't like wine, but my wife works for a company that makes tons of wine bottles so she's kind of into it.

Jughead - you live in KY! You should be on a bourbon bender! It's the best thing about Kentucky.

My favorites:

White - French Colombard
Red - Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry

Not a wine but Glenfiddich is a Single Malt Scotch Whisky that is absolutely out-of-this-world.

bread's done
Back