Are you buying a 720/Infinity/Nextbox at launch?

[quote name='Blaster man']900? Is this steam you're talking about? I doubt I could find 900 games on all three consoles that I want to play...[/QUOTE]

Nope, 602 boxed 360 games, 240 XBLA games, 20+ on Wii and 30+ exclusives on PS3.

That's not counting 3DS, DS or my 80+ WP7 games. :lol:

I have no motivation at all to get the next XBox, a PS4, or even newer PC stuff. Way too much backlog to even consider it.

Not that buying a MS console at launch has proven to be the smartest move in the past (the XBox 1 was the first console I ever had to warranty exchange, and I'm currently on 360 #4). It's going to take a lot to get me to jump to the next machine.

Depending on certain factors (backwards compatibility, if it always needs to be online, etc) I may not buy one at all. This could be the point where I realize I'm getting to old for this shit and just stick with what I have until I find something else to do to waste time.

[quote name='KaneRobot']This could be the point where I realize I'm getting to old for this shit and just stick with what I have until I find something else to do to waste time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm thinking the same.

[quote name='lordopus99']Too much backlog. I will do my best to wait a year or so.[/QUOTE]
This. I'm going to hold out as long as I can...

The closest game on the horizon that would make me want a new console is probably Dragon Age III. I think it's going to be a longer wait before a next-gen Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, or Gears of War.

Pre-ordering as soon as they start taking them for both consoles. Will decide which to get later but honestly given this generation I would be shocked if I get PS4 over next M$ console. Will get the other pretty far down the line somewhere for exclusives.

I've never bought a console at launch and don't plan to start with this one. Yes, I do intend to buy a 720 eventually but probably months after release. Even if there are games out for it I want to play, as I'm not into gaming as much as I used to be I can settle on waiting until whenever. Won't be buying a PS4 as Sony has nothing to impress me game-wise for years, especially since they keep losing their exclusives year after year. All my PS3 is used for these days is for Bl-Rays and DVDs, plus Netflix streaming.

No. More than likely when I do jump into the next generation, it will be with the PS4. The Nextbox will be way down the line for me.

Nah. I am usually only playing MP FPS with friends and they don't want to buy map packs so I know they aren't going to get it right away so no reason for me to. I have tried to finish SP games but I get so bored with them and just end up selling them before I finish them. List of SP that I maybe played a couple of hrs each and then ADD kicked in and just went back to MP of other stuff:
BF3
MOH Warfighter
Bioshock
Alan Wake
Dead Space
MW3
Spec Ops The Line
Bad Co 2
MOH
Halo Reach
Far Cry 2
I usually just play sports or MP FPS these days. Kinect will be wasted on me and my simple minded gaming...lol.

[quote name='Corvin']

:lol: There is no way that happens again. Of all three I'd almost bet on the next Xbox being the most reliable. I doubt MS wants to flush another billion repairing systems.

On the high side there is probably a 0% chance of this happening.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft has billions to play with. I don't think it cost them billions during the RROD era. Maybe a few million. A resign a few million, but not a few billion. The new system needs to have the storage drive open to future upgrades, as in stick a new SATA drive and you are set for storage. Whatever CPU/GPU/Memory is inside that thing, you can bet developers will figure out how to push it to the limits. Right now Tomb Raider looks amazing for a system that old. I don't trust cloud storage.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']Nah. I am usually only playing MP FPS with friends and they don't want to buy map packs so I know they aren't going to get it right away so no reason for me to. I have tried to finish SP games but I get so bored with them and just end up selling them before I finish them. List of SP that I maybe played a couple of hrs each and then ADD kicked in and just went back to MP of other stuff:
BF3
MOH Warfighter
Bioshock
Alan Wake
Dead Space
MW3
Spec Ops The Line
Bad Co 2
MOH
Halo Reach
Far Cry 2
I usually just play sports or MP FPS these days. Kinect will be wasted on me and my simple minded gaming...lol.[/QUOTE]

Alan Wake, Dead Space and Bioshock are the ones you should try to get into first. If you can't get into those then you probably will never get into SP games.

So I just got up close with a PS4 controller at GDC and it looks really sweet. I've never been a huge fan of the Dual Shock but it looks like they got it right this time. If only the d-pad and left analog stick would switch places... dammit I must resist the urge.... too many current gen games to play... GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Nope. Way too much of a backlog to even consider jumping to next gen. Hell, the way I've been going I may never get a new console. Barely have any time to play lately.

I'm just skimming this thread and it is far from definitive proof but it really seems like I'm seeing a lot more "no" or "I'm waiting" than "yes" answers in this thread. This only further leads me to believe the tough launch of the WiiU isn't a Nintendo problem but rather an industry as a whole problem. I'm really curious to see how this next generation goes because I have a strong feeling that both Microsoft and Sony are going to struggle out of the gate, particularly if their launch prices are as high as anticipated ($400+)...

I've never bought a console at launch, and don't plan to start anytime soon. As much fun as it might be, I've got loads of games still to play, so dropping $300-$400 on another console seems pointless. I'll pick it up either when it gets a ton of must play games that aren't being ported to 360, or when it hits $200-250. Heck, I only bought my 360 last october, I'm good at being patient;)

The only reason i would buy most consoles at launch is if they are hyped enough to make a killing selling it on ebay. The thing is with new consoles is that the games don't start off that good due to lack of time in a development cycle and the developers, right fully so, are trying to push their game out the doors and onto shelves. There is less competition for games at the launch of consoles. And games are the key for me into buying a new console. When there are games, I will buy the console. Usually it takes about a year for a console to get a decent library of games. Thing is now that there are downloadable games, it may take less time for a console to be worth the money to purchase it.

Off topic question though, do you think that the microsoft points from the 360 can be used for the next gen microsoft console?

I would only buy it day one if there was a really good deal or a grip of launch titles that I enjoy (Battlefield, Mass Effect, Fallout, etc.)

[quote name='MarshMan34']The only reason i would buy most consoles at launch is if they are hyped enough to make a killing selling it on ebay. The thing is with new consoles is that the games don't start off that good due to lack of time in a development cycle and the developers, right fully so, are trying to push their game out the doors and onto shelves. There is less competition for games at the launch of consoles. And games are the key for me into buying a new console. When there are games, I will buy the console. Usually it takes about a year for a console to get a decent library of games. Thing is now that there are downloadable games, it may take less time for a console to be worth the money to purchase it.

Off topic question though, do you think that the microsoft points from the 360 can be used for the next gen microsoft console?[/QUOTE]

Yes either they will or they will be converted to the real money system for use on the next xbox which would be a garbage decision and yet so many people want to use real money instead of points

[quote name='MarshMan34']Off topic question though, do you think that the microsoft points from the 360 can be used for the next gen microsoft console?[/QUOTE]

I think there is almost zero chance of that happening. Even if Microsoft does decide to stick with MP for some backwards reason, I doubt they would pass up the chance to screw people out of their horded points. I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't heard anything that makes me think otherwise:whistle2:(

I feel like the Xbox Live experienced is going to be streamlined. Yeah, we might get screwed out of BC for arcade titles and such, but i dont seem them knocking off your points from the account you will be using with their new system. I could be wrong.

There is absolutely no way they will let people lose their points. If they did happen to change over to a new system, then those left over points will be transferred. Microsoft isn't stupid.

They have a good thing going with Xbox Live; building up gamerscore, friends lists, and having a points balance on your gamertag are the kind of things that keep customers loyal. There's no way they won't carry it all over.

Besides, they've been working lately on making Xbox Live less tied specifically to Xbox 360. Your gamertag can integrate with Windows Phone and even iPhone games. Why would they lay all that groundwork of making Xbox Live universal and non-specific to a single console, only to wipe the slate clean with the 720? It doesn't make sense to think that would happen.

so just to be clear, are we talking about Microsoft Points, or your Gamescore? I was refering to microsofts stupid currency system. I don't doubt even a bit that your gamertag/score will carry over. That would be completely throwing away all microsoft has built up with the 360 if they didn't.

[quote name='slickkill77']Yes either they will or they will be converted to the real money system for use on the next xbox which would be a garbage decision and yet so many people want to use real money instead of points[/QUOTE]

Real money is a bad choice for MS (Less profit), but a very good method for the consumer. If you're 10MSP short of something, you can't just go out and buy 10MSP. While with cash, you can just fill in whatever amount you need with no issue.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']List of SP that I maybe played a couple of hrs each and then ADD kicked in and just went back to MP of other stuff:
BF3
MOH Warfighter
Bioshock
Alan Wake
Dead Space
MW3
Spec Ops The Line
Bad Co 2
MOH
Halo Reach
Far Cry 2
I usually just play sports or MP FPS these days. Kinect will be wasted on me and my simple minded gaming...lol[/QUOTE]
Seems like you could use some variety, mixing it up a bit besides shooters. Then again if you couldn't get in to Bioshock, I dunno.

Anyway, on topic. Highly doubt I get a Nextbox. There's very little known about it right now, with a LOT of bad rumors (always online, no used games) with still having P2P online. After this last gen, MS doesn't have a lot of breathing room for mistakes with me. Never got a 360, so it'll take a lot to make me get a new gen one.

Depends...

If the new Kinect can do that 'lightroom' thing we saw demoed a few months back, right at launch, I'd be remiss not to get it if at least one launch title takes serious advantage of it.

But having been a CAG for a long time, and amassing the backlog that comes from it - which I've cut in half over the last month - I'll likely wait 'til some of the bundles and second gen games come. With the upcoming Black Friday sales on 360 and PS3 games, I can probably - comfortably - stay this gen for a couple more years.

UNLESS we see a ridiculous sale, of course.

I'm guessing the next Xbox won't use MSP given that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7/8 don't use them (except for some DLC in WP7).

I was planning on getting the new console on launch but all of the DRM/one-time-use disc rumormongering has put me in the waiting camp. Hopefully they'll clear everything up this month and have some killer announcements for E3.

I'm very wait and see at this point. Microsoft right now has virtually nothing in terms of first party (Halo & Gears especially don't interest me and that's still only two titles), there's also been very troubling rumors about how it's not very game centered and virtually everything is going to have kinect 2.0 which will be stupid.

[quote name='Hammer.exe']Real money is a bad choice for MS (Less profit), but a very good method for the consumer. If you're 10MSP short of something, you can't just go out and buy 10MSP. While with cash, you can just fill in whatever amount you need with no issue.

Seems like you could use some variety, mixing it up a bit besides shooters. Then again if you couldn't get in to Bioshock, I dunno.

Anyway, on topic. Highly doubt I get a Nextbox. There's very little known about it right now, with a LOT of bad rumors (always online, no used games) with still having P2P online. After this last gen, MS doesn't have a lot of breathing room for mistakes with me. Never got a 360, so it'll take a lot to make me get a new gen one.[/QUOTE]

Yes but Microsoft points go on sale all the time. Real money does not. If you are really 10 points short there are plenty of ways to grab points fast. Xbox Live Rewards gives you points, you can get 100 msp codes on bing etc...

I'd prefer real money. I don't download all that much so I'm always hating having to buy more points than I need when I need a few points more to afford a DLC that went on sale or whatever.

I don't buy stuff often enough to hoard points in sales as I worry about getting stuck with unused points--especially since it's late in this gen and I'm not sure what (if any) console I'll buy next gen).

I'd rather just wait for deals on downloadable games/DLC and buy with cash just like I do disc games than have to hassle with finding deals on points, having points available when something does go on sale etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I would hate if they changed to real money. Not sure how often retailers have sale prices and rebates on $20 and $50 bills, but it's probably not as often as they do on 1600 and 4000 points cards.

Yeah, it's definitely not as good money wise. But I don't buy that much downloadable stuff and I'm not much of a cheap ass anymore so I'd rather have the convenience of just being able to buy DLC and games than having to buy points to use to buy DLC and games.

Most of the stuff I"m buying is 400-800 points--occasinally 1600 or a bit more if it's a season pass or something. I don't have to think much about dropping $5-20 so I don't really care about saving more by buying points on sale etc. as it's too much hassle unless you're regularly buying something off the market place rather than grabbing a handful of things a year at most.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Ugh, I would hate if they changed to real money. Not sure how often retailers have sale prices and rebates on $20 and $50 bills, but it's probably not as often as they do on 1600 and 4000 points cards.[/QUOTE]

This. I'm still stocked up on points from the $10 1600 point cards at Target. I'd hate to have to rely solely on MS to lower prices on stuff in the marketplace.

iTunes cards get sale prices periodically, and those are dollar amounts. I'm sure there will be Xbox $$$ cards and we'll see deals on them. What you call them, points or $, it's all the same thing, but points are weird. 80 points equals $1?

iTunes cards get 10% or so discounts, but when have you ever found one for 50% off?

Once points go away so will the good deals. Simple as that.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm just skimming this thread and it is far from definitive proof but it really seems like I'm seeing a lot more "no" or "I'm waiting" than "yes" answers in this thread. This only further leads me to believe the tough launch of the WiiU isn't a Nintendo problem but rather an industry as a whole problem. I'm really curious to see how this next generation goes because I have a strong feeling that both Microsoft and Sony are going to struggle out of the gate, particularly if their launch prices are as high as anticipated ($400+)...[/QUOTE]

I'm with you 100%. I'm really excited to see how this all plays out. I haven't seen anything yet that excites me about the Next Generation. In previous generations there was always a hook, but I don't see that yet. Some examples were the Original Xbox had Live which at the time was AMAZING! Dreamcast introduced online gaming, voice chat, amazing graphics. The 360 really tied all the loose ends and created an amazing online experience for the end user. The PS3 had Blu-ray and well that was about it lol. But there was always something. This time around what is that something?

I'm just planning on upgrading my PC video card and playing games on Steam. Before you tag me as a PC gaming fanboy, I've always bought systems at launch or very close to launch since PSX. The only one I didn't buy is the Wii U. I just feel a video card upgrade for $200.00 will suit me fine seeing that most major titles with the exception of exclusives are ported to PC anyways. Now with the new Xbox and PS4 for that matter using PC components, I think the porting to PC will only increase.

Hubris, the downfall of many a gaming companies.

Sony-We'll introduce a $500-600 console, people'll buy it because we just had one of the most successful consoles of all time. (They ended up coming back and effectively tying 2nd place for units sold but lost a boat load of money over the last 7 years)

Nintendo-People love our handhelds, we'll make this one $250. (They've recovered mostly but lost a lot of money in the process)

EA-Everything has to make money for us; online passes, microtransactions, etc. "WE NEED MORE MONEY" (CEO is out, stock down to $17 from the $70 it was at in 2005) Lest we forget Sim City...

THQ-We make good games but we can be bigger, we've gotta make tablets and people will buy them! We all know how that went...

Sega-Who cares if keep coming out with new add-ons and consoles every year or two, we're Sega, people love us and they'll keep buying our stuff no matter what...

Clearly Microsoft has the same, "People will buy whatever we make" mentality going into this generation. We're not just talking about this online requirement but the general sentiment coming out of GDC seems to be that Microsoft ain't doing dick, and getting downright hostile, about geting developers involved in their new console. There seems to be an outright arrogance coming from Microsoft regarding their new console and the way it's going right now the train doesn't appear to be getting any closer to getting back on track.

Always on will suck if true. Hopefully this is just rumor, or they change their minds, though I suppose if it was designed to be always online, it's probably too late to change that. We'll find out at E3 I guess.

I have little interest in the 720. Lately it feels like Microsoft hasn't been caring for the gaming aspect of the Xbox. They also don't have many exclusives right now and the ones I enjoyed which were Halo and Gears I no longer have interest in because I don't agree with the direction they're going in. Then they're the rumors of the always online system if true I probably wouldn't buy the 720 ever. So if Microsoft get's more exclusives and doesn't have an always online system I'll probably get a 720 eventually till then I'm more interested in a PS4.

Hubris is right. As someone pointed out in the general gaming thread, look how the Windows 8 launch has gone. Force a touch based OS on non-touch screens and just expect your customers will adopt?

Gees, can you imagine this with an XBL outage? All of a sudden, no one, anywhere would be able to play. Flashback to 2 years ago and the Christmas XBL outage, all these Christmas presents would be going right back to the store.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']
Gees, can you imagine this with an XBL outage? All of a sudden, no one, anywhere would be able to play. Flashback to 2 years ago and the Christmas XBL outage, all these Christmas presents would be going right back to the store.[/QUOTE]

This is what worries me. Either if my Internet is out or their connection is wonky, does that mean that $300-$400 console becomes a paper weight?

I'm alright with some always on, but there has to be a median.

At least PS4 won't be always on. Would have laughed my butt off when they were down for a month. Making all PS3s bricks.

This is going to be a Bizarro World of what happened at the beginning of the current generation. Now Sony is the hungry contender and Microsoft is the sloppy and arrogant leader. Can't a company just deal with success by continuing to do good work? I guess not, when it comes to the video game console industry.

Like others have mentioned, Sony's success spawed arrogance, and that hurt them big time. It humbled them as a result, and only in the last couple years have they finally started to get their shit together. How the fuck can Microsoft be so goddamn stupid to make a similar "they'll buy it no matter what" mistake?

I like having my gamerscore and all that, but not enough to blindly stick with a company just because of it. If they want me to just "deal with it" I'll do so by buying a Sony console, or nothing at all.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Hubris is right. As someone pointed out in the general gaming thread, look how the Windows 8 launch has gone. Force a touch based OS on non-touch screens and just expect your customers will adopt?

Gees, can you imagine this with an XBL outage? All of a sudden, no one, anywhere would be able to play. Flashback to 2 years ago and the Christmas XBL outage, all these Christmas presents would be going right back to the store.[/QUOTE]

Worse yet, imagine a PSN type failure where the network is down for a month because it has to be completely restructured. Yeah, they're gonna say that'll never happen but I'd bet if you asked Sony they would have said the same thing. Too many variables to rely on a system always being requiredto be connected to the internet.

Microsoft should be scared shitless about this backlash right now but something tells me that just like the warnings EA had about Sim City about consumer backlash they've got their plans and are sticking to them.

I have never been less excited about an upcoming console generation as I am with this one. It actually makes me quite sad. Whether it's the WiiU, PS4, or Xbox720, I'm totally indifferent. A lot of it likely has to do with changing priorities and a lot less free time because of work, but I'm just not feeling console gaming nearly as much these days.

Conversely, the 3DS is becoming more and more appealing by the day, and I've never really been a big handheld gamer (Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton games being the notable exceptions), but the notion of quick bursts of gaming is really enticing.

Factoring in the mountain of games I have for the PS3, the regular DS, and the Wii, and this will be the first console launch in my life where I won't own any one of the systems within 1 year of launch since my very first console - SNES.

I ave a pc with a duel quad core 2.97GHZ, radeon 5770 and 10 gigs of ram. I would rather pay a few hundred to upgrade my video card in the fall to the 7000 series as I am pretty sure I will be able to play most games as well as the next gen consoles, and unlike consoles PC gaming is always backwards compatible and a boost in quality...

All the launch games will basically be ported up current gen stuff or high end PC quality. It will be a while before they get unreal 4 and other next gen engines up and running. Remember it was like over a year before Gears of War came out on xbox. That was the first "next gen" console game.

That being said if I am blown away by exclusives I will bite on either the ps4 or 720. If the new infamous and Killzone are launch for sure a PS4 but I doubt they will be and if they are most likely will be rushed and mediocre.

I will be surprised if I am blown away by any 720 exclusive launches as they have no developers left really. Epic is done, and Bungie is done. Who is left? It's clear from rumors and etc that they intend to go for a more "universal" machine. So it will be this generations Wii. Which is fine with me, as I rather have clear differences between the consoles so I don't have to buy them all. Most likely it will be PS4 and PC only for me this cycle. Maybe a wii u when its like 200.

I don't think I would pay more than $300 for a console at this point in my life (ironically, as my family has more income, the less I am willing to spend on games). I would like the new XBox; I have owned both of their other consoles when each launched. But the more restrictions they place on it, the less money I will be willing to spend. If anything I am reading is accurate, I will likely be waiting for a $200 price point before I grab one. Same goes for Wii U.

PS4, I will probably grab one as soon as it gets a price cut or two. It likely will be my main gaming machine in the new generation.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I don't think I would pay more than $300 for a console at this point in my life (ironically, as my family has more income, the less I am willing to spend on games). I would like the new XBox; I have owned both of their other consoles when each launched. But the more restrictions they place on it, the less money I will be willing to spend. If anything I am reading is accurate, I will likely be waiting for a $200 price point before I grab one. Same goes for Wii U.

PS4, I will probably grab one as soon as it gets a price cut or two. It likely will be my main gaming machine in the new generation.[/QUOTE]

It's interesting how Microsoft was the humble games and services first company this gen and now it looks like they are swapping for next gen.

Can we wait to get definitive information before we start crucifying Microsoft? It's going to suck if it is true sure, but shouldn't we wait to see if its true or not first?

bread's done
Back