Are you ready to give up 24+ hours of your life? You can because it's RPG THREAD #3!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the 40 hour, 2/3 through mark, I decided Tales of the Abyss will not be finished by Friday. A shame, because I will probably need the break before Persona 3. How did the rest of you get through it so quickly? It's not like there were any sidequests to do so far.

[quote name='pete5883']At the 40 hour, 2/3 through mark, I decided Tales of the Abyss will not be finished by Friday. A shame, because I will probably need the break before Persona 3. How did the rest of you get through it so quickly? It's not like there were any sidequests to do so far.[/QUOTE]
All the sidequests are at the end. And what do you mean quickly? Took me 48 hours before any sidequests! That's a long time.

[quote name='Moxio']I should go back and finish TotA.

I dunno, I didn't like it. I felt battles were choppy, load times were horrendous (at least on the world map... takes like 8-10 sec to get back to the freakin map after a fight), and the characters weren't that great. Even Jade, the coolest character bar none, wasn't that cool.

ToS was better.[/QUOTE]

Tales of Abyss isn't that bad.I don't recall bad loading times in world map. I think your problem is comparing more to Tales of Symphonia since that game set the bar so high with it's refine game mechanics, battle system (a big leap from tales of destiny 2) and pacing of story, starts off really slow, you expect much more from this game. Most of materials are reused in this game and very few new elements were add to this game. Well, that's how i felt. It is a pretty good game, but not Tales of Symphonia good.

[quote name='motorkill']About to go and play some more Stella Deus. Im about 30hrs into it so far and really enjoying it. Hoshigami Remix on the other hand can be a real bitch sometimes. Im enjoying that one as well despite it being tough.[/QUOTE]

It seem like your really into ready-action-point battle(RAP) system since your paying Stella Deus and Hoshigami Remix. The problem with RAP it is extremely broken when you are using mages or archer. They don't have to use as much RAP since most of their attack are long range, hence reduce points spent on movement. Archers and mages will probably steal majority of exp. In Hoshigami the RAP system is more broken since you can custom fit all you characters from fighters, mages, archers or hybrid archer mage.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']All the sidequests are at the end. And what do you mean quickly? Took me 48 hours before any sidequests! That's a long time.[/QUOTE]
I mean quickly because I'll probably end up at about 60 hours before sidequests.

[quote name='fatbeer']
It seem like your really into ready-action-point battle(RAP) system since your paying Stella Deus and Hoshigami Remix. The problem with RAP it is extremely broken when you are using mages or archer. They don't have to use as much RAP since most of their attack are long range, hence reduce points spent on movement. Archers and mages will probably steal majority of exp. In Hoshigami the RAP system is more broken since you can custom fit all you characters from fighters, mages, archers or hybrid archer mage.[/quote]

It's more that I love strategy rpgs then liking the RAP system. In fact, I think the RAP sytem can be at times pretty annoying, espically in Hoshigami. I hate that taking one step foward will cause me to have to wait for nine other characters before I can move again. Well besides that, yeah Im enjoying both those games. I wanna try to beat both of them before Jeanne d' Arc, Luminous Arc, and Fire Emblem Wii get released. Lot of good strategy rpgs getting released this fall.

[quote name='motorkill']It's more that I love strategy rpgs then liking the RAP system. In fact, I think the RAP sytem can be at times pretty annoying, espically in Hoshigami. I hate that taking one step foward will cause me to have to wait for nine other characters before I can move again. Well besides that, yeah Im enjoying both those games. I wanna try to beat both of them before Jeanne d' Arc, Luminous Arc, and Fire Emblem Wii get released. Lot of good strategy rpgs getting released this fall.[/QUOTE]

I think you are using too little rap or your just stand on same panel. Your turn ends when you choose to end and you next turn is based on the amount of RAP you used. The fewer the amount you used, your next turn will occur much quicker or vice versa, the more you used your next turn will occur much later. I think their is adjustable rap in this game if you want delay your turn

Well I restarted up Tales of the Abyss.... so far it's better than I remember it, but world loading times are still blugh.

What do you guys think of the Megaman Battle Network/StarForce series?

I've been a big fan of them since MMBN3, even though nothing much tends to change between games. I picked up StarForce Leo today, and I'm def. enjoying it.

Just finished the main quest on Tales of Legendia in just under 30 hours. Anyone know approximately how many hours it would take to complete the Character Quests?

[quote name='fatbeer']I think you are using too little rap or your just stand on same panel. Your turn ends when you choose to end and you next turn is based on the amount of RAP you used. The fewer the amount you used, your next turn will occur much quicker or vice versa, the more you used your next turn will occur much later. I think their is adjustable rap in this game if you want delay your turn[/quote]

Well, In the case of Hoshigami, yeah I do tend to stay on the same panel, but only till an enemy is close enough that I can move towards them without having to use too much rap. There is a adjustable rap that lets you delay or take your turn much later, but I find it much easier to not move a charcter and end there turn. That lets you delay your turn by one or two. But thats only if an enemy is to far from me. I don't want to use up all my rap and be stuck around a bunch of enemys waiting on them to kill me:) .

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']What do you guys think of the Megaman Battle Network/StarForce series?

I've been a big fan of them since MMBN3, even though nothing much tends to change between games. I picked up StarForce Leo today, and I'm def. enjoying it.[/quote]

They're horrible. I played maybe about 10-15% through 3 and 5, and the games are just so similar. So overfilled with random encounters. No way to really level up. they're just ick. But I know if I see one on clearence for $5 or less I'll probably pick it up.

[quote name='doc005']Just finished the main quest on Tales of Legendia in just under 30 hours. Anyone know approximately how many hours it would take to complete the Character Quests?[/QUOTE]
It takes about 25-30 hours. The characters quests are the second half of the game. Took me about 50 hours to finish ToL.

I sunk another six hours into Brave Story.
Man does that game get alot right.
Pace and combat are two of the best I have seen on any system in a while.

I also beat Puzzle Quest: CW this weekend. As far as RPGs go... I could so see this game being a great MMO. Maybe even a handheld MMO. Loads of fun.

I've been playing Ar Tonelico like mad since saturday, and I'm 21 hours in.

Yeesh, I shouldn't have gotten the game. I can't believe how mediocore the whole thing is. It's gotta be the simplest RPG I've played this gen. I'm almost afraid the Atelier series is going to be similar to this. I'm hardly using any spells besides Cinna and Energy Ball. Hell all I do in boss fights is Cinna till I'm maxed out, and there's been zero challenge the whole time I've been playing.

How much longer do I have?
Misha went back to doing that song, and now I'm in Platina to try and find the church army

Not too good of a game, but I needed something to play before Persona 3, and I'm going to see the game through to its end.

You're almost 2/3s of the way through. You have a whole other chapter.

I loved the game, but then it seems I was the only one. Whatever, I'm used to being the only person with good taste;)

I see. Well, the story may pick up and it will become better. I'll be optimistic. So far the best parts have been diving. The game is also fast paced, I'll give it that, crazy how I'm gaing levels like a beast. Everyone's at 58-59.

Did I get sort of a split path option?
When you choose whether to join the search party or join Radolf and Aurica? I won't mind a 2nd playthrough to check that out.

I finally beat Puzzle Quest today.. that took forever a day. Final boss kept handing my ass to me.. so many extra turns >_<

I'm still wondering whether I'll get to Odin Sphere or GrimGrimoire before school starts up.. but, Persona 3 comes out tomorrow. Gah.

[quote name='MarkMan']Persona 3 :) ![/QUOTE]

Shut up, "Mr. I had mine for a month already." Ya know, you really passed up an awsome deal for with those Pokemon cards. You could've been the ultimate Pokemon card master and the coolest kid on the block. But instead you passed, now I'm gonna have both Persona 3 & the Pokemon cards. I got Charizard!!! Now I bet you wish you were in my shoes.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Shut up, "Mr. I had mine for a month already." Ya know, you really passed up an awsome deal for with those Pokemon cards. You could've been the ultimate Pokemon card master and the coolest kid on the block. But instead you passed, now I'm gonna have both Persona 3 & the Pokemon cards. I got Charizard!!! Now I bet you wish you were in my shoes.[/QUOTE]

In retrospect. I am so sad. If you could only see me crying. :(

But yea, it's out today! Everyone go grab it!

Is there anything I should know before I decide to play Persona 3? As in, should I have played the other 2 in order to understand anything?

Using a Pheonix Down and reviving this thread:

What RPGs are you guys playing now? I beat Persona 3 several weeks ago and started on Eternal Sonata. (170 hours of P3, all I gotta say is fuck)

As for Eternal Sonata so far I'm 20 hours in and the story's not all that great, but then I don't expect much from JRPGs these days. The battle system's not all too complex (which isn't really a bad thing), I love the colorful graphic. But it's a filler till I get flooded with Christmas releases.

I'm trudging through Tale of Eternia and Jeanne D'Arc (both on psp) and then Rune Factory on the ds.

Within in the next two weeks, Disgeae: Afternnon of Darkness and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is getting added to that currently played list. Wow, that's a lot of RPG action going on at one time!

Not really playing much on the RPG front. Played a bit of Front Mission on the DS. That's really about it.

The big one I'm waiting for is Mass Effect. Definitely the game I want the most right now. I can't wait.

Yeah RPG-wise it's been a little dry the past month. Guess that's why this thread died down some.

Don't hear too much about Blue Dragon. Kinda disapointing, I was hoping it would really hit off in the states. Still I'll play through it once I find one for under $30.

I'm not playing any RPGs, though I got some strategy RPGs like FFT and Jeanne D' Arc that I hafta play through sometime. There doesn't seem to be anything good on the JRPG front for the rest of the year, but thankfully, there's stuff like Hellgate: London and The Witcher coming out on PC.

Playing through Blue Dragon, but put it down since the Orange Box. Gonna finish that then probably Eternal Sonata. Also playing through Puzzle Quest on the 360.

Then i need to go back and finish FF XII which im about 48 hours into and Tales of Eternia which im about 25 hrs. Also Started Zelda Phantom Hourglass which is still kinda rpg since its on the DS.

Just started Blue Dragon today. I am probably more impress by the first hour of BD then the 25 hours then I spent on Eternal Sonata

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']So for those of you who've played both Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata which do you prefer?[/quote]

I like both, but i much prefer the battle system of Eternal Sonata. But i like the fact that blue dragon plays like an older RPG has turn based battles, world maps, etc. Blue dragon also has a nice class system that adds a little depth withou over complicating it. Granted its not a revolutionary title but for those who grew up with rpgs its refreshing to play. I think you couldnt really go wrong wither way, but blue dragon is more traditional.

personally, I prefer blue dragon over eternal sonata because I like traditional turn based rpg's over real time combat.

I am not that impress by eternal sonata 's battle system. You still have to wait for your enemies to attack and it is not as fun as Tales of the Abyss. The cut screen in eternal sonata are really boring to me. I only played a bit of Blue Dragon but I like it a lot better than ES. Also ES is about 25-30 hours while Blue Dragon is 50 hours plus so that might be a factor to you. You probably should DL the demo to have a better idea which one you might like better.

[quote name='62t']You probably should DL the demo to have a better idea which one you might like better.[/quote]

I've played them both, I was just curious about your opinons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back