Asian movie blu ray release thread

handsome_rakshas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
275 (100%)
Instead of making a thread for every asain movie that tickles my fancy I thought I could just post in one place and cover them all! Come on in and post any cool asian blu ray info or talk about how much you hate Ichi the Killer. :roll:

Today's hot release is John Woo's The Killer.

http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Blu-ray-Yun-Fat-Chow/dp/B0036BDQLA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I'm kind of pissed I ordered this now because I heard the transfer is pretty bad and they cut some content, dang. Never seen this film but am still looking forward to watching it tomorrow hopefully.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/killer4.htm

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I was wondering if these films ever go down in price? I'm interested in Red Cliff (International version), but $25 is a bit steep for this cheapass. Although if these types of movies don't go down in price then I'd rather get it now.

Any input from those of you here?[/QUOTE]

Well just like all domestic released blus they will eventually go down in price and you can get them cheap used on Amazon, Hastings, or Half. If the blu is an import they will probably stay around they same price range or you might get lucky and be able to grab one on Ebay. I was pissed I missed the Korean blu of Welcome to the Dongmakgol and it ended up going for like 12 bucks.

[quote name='Hibiwa']^
Do you mean blu-ray, or in general? If you have a region-free dvd player, YesAsia has both 2 disc Korean (region 3) versions available for pretty cheap. CJ Ent Published.

$19.99 A Bittersweet Life - 2-Disc Director's Ed DVD
http://www.yesasia.com/us/a-bitters...n-korea-version/1022299321-0-0-0-en/info.html

$16.99 A Dirty Carnival - 2-Disc DVD
http://www.yesasia.com/us/a -dirty-carnival-dvd-2-disc-korea version/1004514646-0-0-0-en/info.html[/QUOTE]

Talking about Blu-ray .

[quote name='ronin47']Dragon Dynasty releasing Fist of Legend on blu. April 20, 2010.

Wonder if it is going to be another hack job.

Only $12.49 so far. The prints I've seen of this have been pretty bad. I haven't seen the recent DVD release from Dragon Dynasty. I was hoping for a bluray version.

http://www.amazon.com/Fist-Legend-Blu-ray-Jet-Li/dp/B00376AVIK[/QUOTE]

Bad transfers or not it's hard to pass up on that price coupled with the fact I don't already own it on DVD. I don't feel bad about buying The Killer or 36 Chambers of Shaolin becuase I held off buying them when they were released on DVD. If I have something else to pick up to get the free shipping I might bite, not a big fan of Jet Li's movies. Although I do look forward to seeing him in the Expendables. :)

On a side note I just watched A Dirty Carnival and I must thank those of you who recommended it. Really liked it, although not as much as A Bittersweet Life. At the end when the boss was singing Old and Wise by the Alan Parson's Project I wanted to punch him and everyone else in the room in the face. I was so mad by the end of the movie!

[quote name='ronin47']Dragon Dynasty releasing Fist of Legend on blu. April 20, 2010.

Wonder if it is going to be another hack job.

Only $12.49 so far. The prints I've seen of this have been pretty bad. I haven't seen the recent DVD release from Dragon Dynasty. I was hoping for a bluray version.

http://www.amazon.com/Fist-Legend-Blu-ray-Jet-Li/dp/B00376AVIKhttp://www.amazon.com/Fist-Legend-Blu-ray-Jet-Li/dp/B00376AVIK[/QUOTE]

$13 for one of the greatest action movies of all time?! Shit transfer or not i'm in!

I know I listed alot of my favorites on this thread but this is really my favorite, lol.

Welcome to DongMakGol

But they really want to $45 for the blu ray?!
http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Dongm...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270590650&sr=8-2

heres a review for the PQ of the blu ray.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews39/welcome_to_dongmakgol_blu-ray.htm

This movie is just great. Emotional and just plain GOOD.

Tae Guk Gi I heard was good but I couldnt get into it and just never finished it. Since I had already seen saving private ryan and black hawk down I couldnt get into something similar for 2+ hours.

edit..hey, if anyone cares I looked prices up on ebay for Dongmakgol and there are much better prices.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...lcome+to+dongmakgol&_sacat=See-All-Categories
still a bit much but now I am thinking about getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Bad transfers or not it's hard to pass up on that price coupled with the fact I don't already own it on DVD. I don't feel bad about buying The Killer or 36 Chambers of Shaolin becuase I held off buying them when they were released on DVD. If I have something else to pick up to get the free shipping I might bite, not a big fan of Jet Li's movies. Although I do look forward to seeing him in the Expendables. :)

On a side note I just watched A Dirty Carnival and I must thank those of you who recommended it. Really liked it, although not as much as A Bittersweet Life. At the end when the boss was singing Old and Wise by the Alan Parson's Project I wanted to punch him and everyone else in the room in the face. I was so mad by the end of the movie![/QUOTE]

The Prints I've seen are bad.

I'm not commenting on the Dragon Dynasty print since I haven't seen the DVD release of this. And even though they seem to messing up some of my favorite movie. I am not going to trash movies they haven't released yet without having read any reviews or watching it myself.

The Protector/Tom Yum Goong blu is $12.50 also.

http://www.amazon.com/Protector-Blu...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270599060&sr=8-2

Strangely Amazon has halted sales of Ong Bak 2 stating something about their customers complaining about some problem. They were pretty vague as to what the problem was. They said buy it from one of the other sells listed on their site.

Wished Red Cliff international cut would come back down in price.

Already pre-ordered Fist of Legend and Seven Swords from Amazon. Each was $12.49 which is a great price IMO.

[quote name='ronin47']My only gripe so far with this is, I don't see a mention of a Cantonese or Mandarin track.

Edited - Amazon lists Cantonese. I guess I am going to buying this.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference between the two track?

I guess I'm no Chinese speaker but as long as subtitles are good, I'm in.

I will watch 'em in their original language with subtitle (same goes for anime).

Damn, I'm so tempted to buy a lot of the stuff you guys are recommending. It's just that my bank account keeps screaming, NOOOOO!!!

Do you guys think Welcome to DongMakGol (blu-ray) would be worth paying about $20 for? I'm also seriously considering Jet Li's Fist of Legend.

[quote name='cagfansub']What's the difference between the two track?

I guess I'm no Chinese speaker but as long as subtitles are good, I'm in.

I will watch 'em in their original language with subtitle (same goes for anime).[/QUOTE]

Hong Kong residents speak Cantonese. Main land Chinese speak Mandarin.

I like being able to choose the native language track with subtitles. Even though in all of Jet Li's Hong Kong movies up to that point his voices were dubbed.

The US releases of Fist of Legend always seemed to only have the dubbed track and nothing else. That was part of the reason I've kept my VCD version all these years. However, this new release looks like its worth upgrading to.

Yeah, the only problem with Fist of Legend is they used dubtitles which kind of sucks. I almost picked up The Protector at Walmart yesterday for 15 on impulse. If anyone has impressions of that Blu I'd love to hear them.

And yes, Welcome to Dongmokgul is worth the money if you could find it for 20.

Funny thing, I was at Fryes yesterday and they had the import blu of IP Man for like 40 something bucks. If they had the digipack version of Memories of Murder I would probably pay that much for it.

Anyone knows who's the official company who got the distribution rights for John Woo's Red Cliff? Wonder why it takes 'em so long to reprint and distribute this for US and Canada?

[quote name='cagfansub']Anyone knows who's the official company who got the distribution rights for John Woo's Red Cliff? Wonder why it takes 'em so long to reprint and distribute this for US and Canada?[/QUOTE]
I just ordered Red Cliff International Version I+II Blu from Amazon yesterday, and it shipped today. So I'd say it's available right now...

Wow, it's a lot cheaper too. The release date was apparently March 23, 2010.

Actually just finished watching II (DVD) yesterday. Hate to say it, but the best I could muster was "that's it?". Red Cliff aspired to be epic and fell emotionless for me -- something was missing and I couldn't connect enough to care.

The strongest character development came courtesy of 'Piggy' and the interactions with 'Pit' when you finally sensed the impact of war. Too bad it was so different from the rest of the film that it seemed cut and pasted from another movie.

I'm sure the production problems that constantly plagued them had an affect. The making of extra was more interesting then the sum of the two parts.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I was able to pick up Welcome to DongMakGol Blu-Ray for 17.95 shipped on ebay. :)[/QUOTE]

Nice grab! I wish I could get Memories of Murder for the same price!

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Nice grab! I wish I could get Memories of Murder for the same price![/QUOTE]

Such a good movie! I have the DVD so I doubt I'll be upgrading to Blu-Ray anytime soon.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I was able to pick up Welcome to DongMakGol Blu-Ray for 17.95 shipped on ebay. :)[/QUOTE]

hey, great price! I am still hunting for my copy of the blu for under $20.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Nice grab! I wish I could get Memories of Murder for the same price![/QUOTE]

You still haven't bought a copy yet? I just picked it up before I couldn't find the digipak version anymore.

[quote name='xeno']just wondering , hs anyone seen the live version of mulan? if so thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Been curious about this movie as well. Thinking about importing the Blu-Ray along with 14 Blades.

Figured this would be a good place to ask, anyone heard anything about Seven Samurai, or any Kurosawa's movies, coming to blu-ray? My Dvds are pretty old and beat up and would much rather wait then dish out cash for new dvds if blus on the way.

[quote name='Ibramgaunt249']Figured this would be a good place to ask, anyone heard anything about Seven Samurai, or any Kurosawa's movies, coming to blu-ray? My Dvds are pretty old and beat up and would much rather wait then dish out cash for new dvds if blus on the way.[/QUOTE]

Yojimbo/Sanjuro will probably be my next purchase, have to sell my dvd boxset first! The picture quality looks pretty good.

Very good reviews also...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews11/yojimbo.htm
looks like it's worth the upgrade.

Quite possibly the greatest Japanese film of all time is up for preorder!
A little pricey though, maybe I'm just used to shitty Dragon Dynasty Blus for 12 bucks each.

seven-samurai.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003KGBISY/affenheimthea-20

[quote name='xeno']just wondering , hs anyone seen the live version of mulan? if so thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Watched the live version on DVD only so can't comment on the quality of the Blu-ray. Just speaking for the movie, in case you're asking, there were some pretty good battle scenes but the ending was a bit of a let-down. Didn't come out of watching it feeling much at all.

Watched '14 Blades' right after 'Mulan' and I have to say I was a lot more satisfied and really impressed with the storyline and action scenes in this movie.

The same lead-actress appears on both movies I believe.

I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on Welcome to Dongmakgol.

It was a good movie but was marred by some jarring moments, usually involving the western actors.

First off, the western "actors" suck big time in this movie. Although I tried to just put it aside since it was probably the best they could get in Korea.

Secondly, western actors in this movie are all native English speakers, yet they somehow still spoke Engrish at certain times, which really ruined things.

Lastly, the portrayal of the US Army in this movie is a bit over the top. I'm not naive, and I know that soldiers do some messed up stuff when in battle, but in this movie they were made out to be the biggest dicks on the planet and that even the good Korean soldier would become dickish just by being in their presence.

Also, the subtitles got sloppy at times.

I did cut the movie some slack since I'm not really its intended audience, and I'm sure Korean movie goers didn't notice the stuff I did. It's just a shame that a good movie was brought down by the jarring moments.

Does anyone have an opinion on the HK blu ray release of the Infernal Affairs trilogy? I'm debating if I should pick up the HK blu ray set or the dvd set.

bread's done
Back