Assassin's Creed II Free Xbox.com for Xbox Gold Members

Had the game on PS3 and didn't care for it so I sold it.  That said, it's free so I'll download it and never play it.  Who knows, I may give it another chance...if not it doesn't hurt to take it.  Well, it might cost MS something, I'm not sure how those deals work.  I wonder if they pay per download or some fee for the program in general?

Just downloaded it, pretty excited, only ones I have played is Revelations and ACIII after a friend recommended the series to me.

Guess its time to dump my disc copy, lol.

I only picked this up last fall and man have I had a slow time getting through it...I must be the only person who doesnt get why this series is so loved.

I only picked this up last fall and man have I had a slow time getting through it...I must be the only person who doesnt get why this series is so loved.
No you are not. The first game was so repetitive, one of the most overrated of all time.

Hey look, the first benefit of XBL. Only took 11 years.
You obviously haven't been a member for those 11 years because I have gotten several free games over those 11 years not to mention all the gold only discounts. If I really wanted to get technical I could argue that being able to play online and use cross game chat and all the other features are also benefits.

Sweet. Already beat it, but why not for free?

Another game ill never play on my hard drive and then I will utterly complain when I have to delete it to make room for another game I downloaded that I will never get to play either because of my outlandishly stupid sized backlog and more interest in reading about video game deals than actually playing them.

Sweeeet!

I'm currently at SILVER (14-day trial code in effect) and I'll just wait until the 27th to regain my GOLD membership.

I can then download this along with both August freebies on a single month of Gold.

No I'm more than halfway through 1 on the PC and I'm not really in a rush to play it. Too repetitive. I have 2 on the 360, bought it prior to this going free as it was on sale at one point not too long ago. Honestly though I'm not sure why everyone loves these games either. I thought the POP sands trilogy was way better. I've heard 2 is the best in the series though so I'll probably at least finish 1 and try 2.

You guys shouldn't really base your judgement of the series off the first entry. The second is leaps and bounds ahead of the first and there's a reason why most people hate the first and love the second.

So if I upgrade to gold with a one month membership and download the game, will I still own the game when my membership reverts back to silver?

Thanks!

You obviously haven't been a member for those 11 years because I have gotten several free games over those 11 years not to mention all the gold only discounts. If I really wanted to get technical I could argue that being able to play online and use cross game chat and all the other features are also benefits.
don't forget that if you were a member throughout all those 11 years then they sent you a free exclusive xbox.

I mean, I guess free is better than paying, even though this game was probably only around $5. It's definitely worth a play. No one should factor in AC1 at all when debating playing this. I couldn't put AC2 down and beat it in a weekend.

Is anyone able to download this without a credit card or paypal tied to their account?  I have never had a credit card linked to my account, been a Gold member for 6 years, using all Live cards and pt cards.  But when I go to download this from the dashboard, it won't let me unless I link a credit card or paypal.  Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys shouldn't really base your judgement of the series off the first entry. The second is leaps and bounds ahead of the first and there's a reason why most people hate the first and love the second.
That's actually something I cannot seem to understand, and probably never will.

AC2 has THE worst fucking tertiary/"support" characters I've ever seen outside of a JRPG. I thought the way the HUD & whatnot was handled in the first game walked a fine line between "simulation" (for the character) and "immersion" (for the player), creating a pretty interesting narrative. But then in 2 they added interjecting dialogue while you were IN the animus, and it was either just useless "im so fucking good at hacking" banter or hand-holdy tutorial/explanations that I felt were too intrusive and ruined the immersion for me.

Lastly, my GF and I cringed so hard when we got to the "It's a-me, Mario!" joke (her first on her playthrough, me second on my own), that my finger twitched, ejected the game, and took it all the way to gamestop to trade in. It felt completely out of place, being (I think) the best example of how ridiculously hilarious the 'italian' accents were, and was just the last straw added to a pile of of things that we just didnt enjoy about the whole experience. Italian dialogue w/ subtitles probably would go a long way in helping that, for us I think.

With that said about the narrative & storytelling style, the GAME I suppose had some interesting improvements in combat/weapon usage, along with some neat terrain traversal elements (swinging from hanging pots around corners & whatnot). We just didnt like Ezio as a character, or enjoyed the changes to the story telling style that we loved so much in AC1.

And there /endrant, but I just felt I needed to provide at least one differing opinion about the game. Free is Free, so I might give it another go, I haven't played it in at least a few years. Maybe I won't find everything as grating as before...

Is anyone able to download this without a credit card or paypal tied to their account? I have never had a credit card linked to my account, been a Gold member for 6 years, using all Live cards and pt cards. But when I go to download this from the dashboard, it won't let me unless I link a credit card or paypal. Am I doing something wrong?
Try signing in to your account thru Xbox.com.

I believe there at least needs to be some billing info on file. You DON'T need to put a credit card but you will need to fill out address and phone number fields.

Is anyone able to download this without a credit card or paypal tied to their account? I have never had a credit card linked to my account, been a Gold member for 6 years, using all Live cards and pt cards. But when I go to download this from the dashboard, it won't let me unless I link a credit card or paypal. Am I doing something wrong?
Nah just use the option "Use Microsoft Points" and you can finish checkout.

Try signing in to your account thru Xbox.com.

I believe there at least needs to be some billing info on file. You DON'T need to put a credit card but you will need to fill out address and phone number fields.

Nah just use the option "Use Microsoft Points" and you can finish checkout.
Thanks you two! I saw online that you could use mspts, but I wasn't seeing that menu option anywhere on my dashboard. I didn't realize (well, I forgot) it doesn't show up in the pop up window; it shows up under it for whatever reason. So I kept missing it. Finally found it. I like how MS makes things difficult...

bread's done
Back