Assassin's Creed II - Gen. Discussion - Main Character Revealed

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Lol! I suppose I did.

I still think it's a bit odd though that tearing down bounty posters near the top of a building will get the population (who spend almost all of their time on the ground) to forget your face. But then again, so is "stealth" assassinating 4 guys without any of them noticing. Just one of those AC oddities I guess.[/QUOTE]

You have to look at it this way....

The officials tell the guards who tell the people who they are looking for. You kill an official and you stop it from the source. You rip down the posted and the guards and the people see less of the bad person's face. You bribe the loud mouth and people aren't shouting your name in the streets.

[quote name='MSUHitman']DLC priced and detailed; it is the 2 missing DNA sequences:
http://kotaku.com/5427860/assassins-creed-iis-gap+filling-dlc-priced-and-detailed/gallery/[/QUOTE]

Like a lot of the comments on Kotaku are saying, I feel like I bought an unfinished game since the DLC are the two DNA sequences and they obviously planned the story knowing that they were just going to make DLC to fill in the gaps, when they could have just put it in the game to begin with.

Also, will these include new achievements? I'm guessing they will but I'm not sure.

The DLC isnt bad priced compared to say Tomb Raider Underworlds DLC overpriced levels.

I still cant get the combat down. In AC1 it was easy, but this game im putting my sword away mid battle, running when i dont want to, killing civilians that get in the way. Im just having a hard time executing it well.

Have this game coming in tomorrow from Amazon, on the 5th assassination of the first game. Hopefully the improvements in the second game will shine after playing the first one.

Eh whatever, the game was like 20 hours anyways. I don't feel like I was cheated out of something. Don't know if I will get it though... the spring jump seems interesting though.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Eh whatever, the game was like 20 hours anyways. I don't feel like I was cheated out of something. Don't know if I will get it though... the spring jump seems interesting though.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, exactly, and exactly. Look at the game you got on the disc. Was it a game worthy of a purchase? In this case, definitely. I sank a lot of time into AC2. If it was a 5 hour game, and they brought all these DLC add-ons that totaled 10+ hours, then the "unfinished" game argument would hold water. And of course they planned additional content during the development of the game. That way it's actually a quality addition to the game. I would rather have that than a rushed piece of shit like, say, Mass Effect's Pinnacle Station.

Beat the game today and the ending made me confused. I just dont get it. But then again sometimes i have a hard time following a story, or figuring out what they are talking about. Im just happy it didnt deal with
aliens
. LOL Anyone care to put the ending in simple terms for me?

As for now, im still playing it, getting all paintings, feathers, and whatever. Need that 1000/1000 score to go with the first AC game lol. Also looking forward to the DLC, though my hard drive is a little short, might have to delete some things. :bomb:

[quote name='The 7th Number']Beat the game today and the ending made me confused. I just dont get it. But then again sometimes i have a hard time following a story, or figuring out what they are talking about. Im just happy it didnt deal with
aliens
. LOL Anyone care to put the ending in simple terms for me?[/QUOTE]

The "gods" of Greek, Roman, etc. mythology were actually technologically-advanced beings that "came before" humans and appeared to use early man as slaves. While "Those That Came Before" were a far superior race, humans had more numbers. Thus, there was a constant threat of war. For instance, in "The Truth" video, it is assumed we are witnessing Adam and Eve stealing a Piece of Eden in order to use it against their masters. This threat of war forced them to turn their attention away from other matters and some kind of threat "from heavens" nearly wiped out both races. It appears that this threat might be a massive solar flare that could once again threaten the planet, which is why Minerva speaks to Desmond through Ezio. These advanced beings are trying to stop it from happening again.

Yes, what bigdaddy said. Perfect.

But I don't get:
how the solar flare did not wipe out EVERYONE on the planet. From my limited understanding of solar flare ups, is that it could easily obliterate the earths surface and it would be impossible for any survivors. I'm guessing they will elaborate on this in the next game...

Also, I would have liked the "advanced human race" to have existed alone (like us today) but they were wiped out by the solar flare. I don't really like the idea of our civilization living with the more advanced (it does not make sense how that is so). Maybe we were still neanderthals (early hominids) at the point of their existence, but I hope they explain further.

[quote name='life.exe']Like a lot of the comments on Kotaku are saying, I feel like I bought an unfinished game since the DLC are the two DNA sequences and they obviously planned the story knowing that they were just going to make DLC to fill in the gaps, when they could have just put it in the game to begin with.

Also, will these include new achievements? I'm guessing they will but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't know of any paid DLC that didn't include some amount of new achievements.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yes, what bigdaddy said. Perfect.

But I don't get:
how the solar flare did not wipe out EVERYONE on the planet. From my limited understanding of solar flare ups, is that it could easily obliterate the earths surface and it would be impossible for any survivors. I'm guessing they will elaborate on this in the next game...

Also, I would have liked the "advanced human race" to have existed alone (like us today) but they were wiped out by the solar flare. I don't really like the idea of our civilization living with the more advanced (it does not make sense how that is so). Maybe we were still neanderthals (early hominids) at the point of their existence, but I hope they explain further.
[/QUOTE]

Good points on both. Here's my stab at the explanations:

1) I would also assume a massive solar flare would completely destroy all life on the planet's surface. Thus, I'm gonna say that the advanced beings had some way to shelter enough people to keep the species alive. Perhaps, "Noah's Ark."

2) I doubt they will bother to explain further. I am gonna guess they want us to assume that through the years, the actual truth of the advanced beings became very distorted, which beget the tales of gods and such.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']
The "gods" of Greek, Roman, etc. mythology were actually technologically-advanced beings that "came before" humans and appeared to use early man as slaves. While "Those That Came Before" were a far superior race, humans had more numbers. Thus, there was a constant threat of war. For instance, in "The Truth" video, it is assumed we are witnessing Adam and Eve stealing a Piece of Eden in order to use it against their masters. This threat of war forced them to turn their attention away from other matters and some kind of threat "from heavens" nearly wiped out both races. It appears that this threat might be a massive solar flare that could once again threaten the planet, which is why Minerva speaks to Desmond through Ezio. These advanced beings are trying to stop it from happening again.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that was an excellent explanation. I had gotten the basic idea of the ending when I saw it but you just put it all together for me. I loved the game but was a little disappointed when the ending didn't make much sense to me. But now that the storyline finally comes together for me, I like the game even more.

i would wager a guess that we'll get a tease more about the present day going-ons in the dlc, but that's much wishful thinking.

HOWEVER, thank you dlc for giving us another chance at the FLYSWATTER trophy!

[quote name='The 7th Number']In the DNA for Secret Locations, is there supposed to be 3 missing... the 6th, 7th, and 9th are darkened out for me.[/QUOTE]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those are the extra locations available via exclusive DLC (from Gamestop), CE DLC (the "black edition") and the Uplay DLC (available from the main menu, you have to unlock using points from beating the game)

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those are the extra locations available via exclusive DLC (from Gamestop), CE DLC (the "black edition") and the Uplay DLC (available from the main menu, you have to unlock using points from beating the game)[/QUOTE]

That is correct. The Gamestop DLC are two Templar Lairs (one is similar to the Assassin Tomb's, the other is rescuing Demici from the Templars) and the UPlay map is the Auditore family tomb which is another jumping puzzle that gives you the history of the Auditore family if you read the wall scrolls and 5k florins for beating it.

Is there a way to get the Auditore family tomb yet? When i try to use Uplay its not up and running yet.

EDIT: i did unlock it under the rewards...i thought you had to buy it in the shop area thats not up yet. Cool, going to play it now!

Also there is a big section you cant get to south of vinice i think. Is that any of this DLC or is that most likely going to be one of the DLC in Jan or Feb?

Im trying to get everything in this game, i got all the treasures last night. Sadly there doesnt seem to be no reward except the money you get from it. But now i have so much cash and nothing to buy. Except more health, change the color of my suit, and stuff like that which isnt much. Wish you could upgrade the town more, it still looks a little poor. I like throwing money out though....someone always says "money money money!" LOL. Or i distract some guards with hookers, then stab the big one with the axe with some poison, and then thrown money by him and he starts killing greedy people. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']In the DNA for Secret Locations, is there supposed to be 3 missing... the 6th, 7th, and 9th are darkened out for me.[/QUOTE]

The 8th one is darkened out for me. What is it supposed to be?
Note: I have the Gamestop CE so I have both Templar Lairs.

I'm dying to play this game but I just know it's going to be on sale after Xmas, so I'm waiting patiently. I've got a ton of GS credit...so their CE is the version to get because it has extra lairs?

Assassin's Creed II DLC was cut from main game due to time constraints

Yes, forthcoming DLC packs, "The Battle of Forli" and "Bonfire of the Vanities," were originally intended to be included in the main Assassin's Creed II story. But, as the game's creative director Patrice Désilets told Kotaku, "I felt that, 'Okay, there were too many things to do and to finish.' So we said, 'Ok, let's take a portion of the game that was planned and we'll give it in DLC.'"

The candid Désilets went on to point out, "I think we gave them so much content that they cannot say that we owe them, that we didn't give them a lot for their 60 bucks." So, don't think of the missing chapters as something torn from your disc of Assassin's Creed II that you paid good money for. Think of it as dead content that's getting a rebirth thanks to the wonders of DLC.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/22/assassins-creed-ii-dlc-was-cut-from-main-game-due-to-time-const/

Okay okay...here is my problem. Admitting this DLC was supposed to be in the game. Tomb Raider Underworld did the same thing, gave us DLC levels for 10 bucks each, which of both were supposed to be in the game. Now im so glad AC2 DLC levels are only 3.99 and 4.99 each, but admitting the levels were supposed to be in the game just tells me we should get them for free. They were going to add them in the first place, so why make us pay for something that was supposed to be included in our 60 dollar purchase? This is why i hate DLC sometimes. Some people just dont know how to do it right.

[quote name='Ronin317']I'm dying to play this game but I just know it's going to be on sale after Xmas, so I'm waiting patiently. I've got a ton of GS credit...so their CE is the version to get because it has extra lairs?[/QUOTE]

All Gamestop copies have a code for one of the Templar Lairs in them. The second lair is exclusive to the CE, for now. Both Templar Lairs will eventually be released for free sometime mid-late next year as Ubisoft told Destructoid because you need to them to have 100% sync with Ezio.

The CE is going to be VERY hard to find now unless you live in a major metro area or just luckily have one of the few GS's that still have one left in their store from launch. The only reason the CE is good is the really awesome figure you get with it, it's nearly Bioshock 1 Big Daddy size.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Okay okay...here is my problem. Admitting this DLC was supposed to be in the game. Tomb Raider Underworld did the same thing, gave us DLC levels for 10 bucks each, which of both were supposed to be in the game. Now im so glad AC2 DLC levels are only 3.99 and 4.99 each, but admitting the levels were supposed to be in the game just tells me we should get them for free. They were going to add them in the first place, so why make us pay for something that was supposed to be included in our 60 dollar purchase? This is why i hate DLC sometimes. Some people just dont know how to do it right.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't "supposed" to be included. It was cut to make the ship date. The same kind of thing happened in the "good old days" of console gaming, except the developer simply didn't have a mechanism in place that would allow them to finish and sell the cut content.

It seems you're not approaching this from the proper angle. The choice is not between getting the content for free up front and paying for it later, it's between paying for it later and not getting it at all. And the better of those choices is obvious.

[quote name='MSUHitman']All Gamestop copies have a code for one of the Templar Lairs in them. The second lair is exclusive to the CE, for now. Both Templar Lairs will eventually be released for free sometime mid-late next year as Ubisoft told Destructoid because you need to them to have 100% sync with Ezio.

The CE is going to be VERY hard to find now unless you live in a major metro area or just luckily have one of the few GS's that still have one left in their store from launch. The only reason the CE is good is the really awesome figure you get with it, it's nearly Bioshock 1 Big Daddy size.[/QUOTE]
I saw a couple of CE's over the weekend with all the GS flipping of Fairytale fights. Hopefully they last through Xmas for a sale.

[quote name='Magus8472']It wasn't "supposed" to be included. It was cut to make the ship date. The same kind of thing happened in the "good old days" of console gaming, except the developer simply didn't have a mechanism in place that would allow them to finish and sell the cut content.

It seems you're not approaching this from the proper angle. The choice is not between getting the content for free up front and paying for it later, it's between paying for it later and not getting it at all. And the better of those choices is obvious.[/QUOTE]

Everything about that article i posted says that these levels were meant to be in the final game, but due to time restraints were removed. I dont see how they werent supposed to be included. But yeah i would rather get them than not get them. These guys really need to just be quite about stuff like this though. Its not good to say, hey this was supposed to be free, but since we didnt have enough time to add it, you can pay more for what should have been included with the full game.

But I would say that the even without those missing memories, the game was worth $60. (Which is something I don't say to much)

That is the key. I said the same thing earlier in the thread. As long as the game is worth $60, I don't worry about the DLC. I mean, first of all, they didn't have to say the stuff was intended to be in the game. We always speculate and assume such things, but they came out and admitted it. Plus, I would rather have it be available post-release for a fee and have be polished, than have them rush it to get into the initial release.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']That is the key. I said the same thing earlier in the thread. As long as the game is worth $60, I don't worry about the DLC. I mean, first of all, they didn't have to say the stuff was intended to be in the game. We always speculate and assume such things, but they came out and admitted it. Plus, I would rather have it be available post-release for a fee and have be polished, than have them rush it to get into the initial release.[/QUOTE]

Problem with that is that they are charging for it...

I personally would have rather had them delay it and finish the game, but I'm sure they wanted it out before Christmas.

[quote name='life.exe']Problem with that is that they are charging for it...[/QUOTE]

I just said that. "For a fee." As someone else said earlier, in the past, this would just have all ended up on the cutting room floor. We would have never seen it. I would rather have the option to pay for it than not to get it at all.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I just said that. "For a fee." As someone else said earlier, in the past, this would just have all ended up on the cutting room floor. We would have never seen it. I would rather have the option to pay for it than not to get it at all.[/QUOTE]

Misread, I thought you said "for free".

[quote name='MSUHitman']The 8th one is darkened out for me. What is it supposed to be?
Note: I have the Gamestop CE so I have both Templar Lairs.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply, but the 8th DNA spot for secret locations is the Templar Lair - Shipwrecked. I got that in my game which i got from best buy.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Everything about that article i posted says that these levels were meant to be in the final game, but due to time restraints were removed. I dont see how they werent supposed to be included.[/QUOTE]

My fault, I thought you were trying to imply they were intentionally holding it back just to charge for it later.

Gamestop has dropped the price of AC2 to $49.99. From the language on the email, looks like it's permanent. Hmm...do I pounce, or wait until I find a $40 sale? It's going to sit while I continue my CoD addiction.

Just finished the game yesterday, felt a hell of a lot more refined compared to the first Assassin's Creed. Started feather hunting and got around 50 in one sitting, will get the rest today. 100 feathers is nothing compared to the hundreds of flags in the first game.

Ok ok who the hell is the voice over for Ezio, imdb doesn't even list the character's name?! I know Nolan North does the voice over for the modern main character, Desmond, but it doesn't say who Ezio is.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok ok who the hell is the voice over for Ezio, imdb doesn't even list the character's name?! I know Nolan North does the voice over for the modern main character, Desmond, but it doesn't say who Ezio is.[/QUOTE]

Roger Craig Smith ,says the internet.

Has anyone here seen the Assassin's Creed 2 Lineage video? Its pretty awesome. It details the stuff happening to Ezio's father prior to the start of the game and pretty much ends where the game starts. It has real locations of the game and the movie portrayals of the characters that are in the game are pretty spot on.

So, what's this about the DLC giving another chance at Flyswatter?

I just beat the game not knowing that you weren't allowed to replay memories. I was going to go for 1000/1000 tonight and try to re-sell the game for $40 :(

[quote name='menikmati']Started feather hunting and got around 50 in one sitting, will get the rest today. 100 feathers is nothing compared to the hundreds of flags in the first game.[/QUOTE]

This for me is a big deal, since I'm obsessive about these things. I collected every single flag in the first one, both when I played it years ago on PS3 (when it meant nothing) and when I was replaying it on 360 before starting 2 (where at least there are plenty of achievements in it). I also like the fact that the collectibles actually do something tangible in this one, rather than just being there for the sake of being there.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and loving it so far, and I also appreciate that it's a pretty pain-free 1000/1000.

Got 1000/1000 today, I missed a feather but it is nice that they add an option to see where the district where you miss it.

Is there a point where I will no longer be able to go back to the other cities? I just completed Sequence 11 and got around to collecting all the required
codex pages
. I want to get as close to the ending, then collect the remaining feathers before moving on. Where should I stop?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Is there a point where I will no longer be able to go back to the other cities? I just completed Sequence 11 and got around to collecting all the required
codex pages
. I want to get as close to the ending, then collect the remaining feathers before moving on. Where should I stop?[/QUOTE]

Once the game ends, it throws you back into the world so you can do whatever you want. I saved all the feathers and glyphs until after I completed the game.

[quote name='menikmati']
Once the game ends, it throws you back into the world so you can do whatever you want. I saved all the feathers and glyphs until after I completed the game.
[/QUOTE]Very good to know. I thought I'd heard otherwise. Thanks!

[quote name='menikmati']Just finished the game yesterday, felt a hell of a lot more refined compared to the first Assassin's Creed. Started feather hunting and got around 50 in one sitting, will get the rest today. 100 feathers is nothing compared to the hundreds of flags in the first game.[/QUOTE]

i felt like that til the final boss and hear him say the same things over and over and then me repeatly grabbing him and putting him on the ground and immediatly picking him back up.

[quote name='Wolve11']Has anyone here seen the Assassin's Creed 2 Lineage video? Its pretty awesome. It details the stuff happening to Ezio's father prior to the start of the game and pretty much ends where the game starts. It has real locations of the game and the movie portrayals of the characters that are in the game are pretty spot on.[/QUOTE]

yea dude loved the lineage stuff....totally awesome....

bread's done
Back