Asura's Wrath $41 with clearance tag at Target. (YMMV)

rockettorussia

CAGiversary!
This is almost certainly a mistake but may be happening at some other targets. Didn't check the 360 version but it may be the same as well.

Might be worth checking out your local target.

[quote name='Kaiser499']So has anyone found this at their target yet besides the OP?[/QUOTE]

Haven't looked yet. The Target sites around here suck at pricing...

Really itching to play this game based on the demo, since I love Anime and can deal with QTE. Can't see this game being worth $60. It would cost me over $20 just to get to a target for this deal.

I tried the demo. Might be good for those that are into Jap anime. I didnt get it at all and thought it was dull, boring, graphically sub par and completely incoherent.

[quote name='wrencrest']I tried the demo. Might be good for those that are into Jap anime. I didnt get it at all and thought it was dull, boring, graphically sub par and completely incoherent.[/QUOTE]
Woah, graphically sub par? Comparing to what?

[quote name='Slade'] ...while I can understand people's hesitation of picking up a game that you can finish quickly and doesn't have much replay value...[/QUOTE]

From my understanding, the problem is not replay value, it is actual play value . . . as in, how much time are you actually playing the game, vs. watching cutscenes and QTEs? While I'm sure the animation and bizarre stages and bosses are interesting, if most of the time you actually aren't playing the game, it seems more like an interactive anime cartoon, not a game. It sounds like it had a lot of potential, but they killed the game with excessive non-play elements.

This is one of those games where you can just sit back and just marvel at the insane creativity of the developer.

Get a bunch of buds together, a bunch of brewskies, turn down the lights and prepare for a hell of a time filled with laughter and OMG moments =D

I finished the game yesterday morning and I think the demo did the game a disservice. I'd say there's about an even split between the QTEs, actual action gameplay, and on-rails shooting. It's less of an action game like devil may cry or even God of War and more of a media experience and it works as a complete package because of how completely insane the entire game was. It actually feels more like a fighting game (DBZ, Naruto), in a weird way.

I couldn't stop playing from the moment I started and I don't really like anime at all.

The QUEs aren't even that bad. Most of them involve pushing the sticks in different directions or hitting Y. In my experience you can't even fail them, you just get a worse ranking. The most frustrating ones are when you have to mash the B button. You have to really hit the hell out of it.

Unfortunately, despite some different gauges (give you different attributes like taking less damage) you unlock after playing the game and some really nice concept art there just isn't a ton here for $40. It's a 4 hour long game, maybe longer if you want to see the true ending.

I'd personally be interested in a sequel considering it's niche nature. It's a ton of fun and if they gave you a little more direct control and a little less rail shooting, I feel it would get a more positive reaction. That demo didn't help either.

[quote name='bojay1997']Ok, how much is low enough? Whenever I see a game come out at $40 or even $30, I generally assume it's not great or will require paid DLC, so I just wait until it hits $20 or less. I think publishers have experimented with tiered pricing and the same people who bite at $60 bite at $40 and so they just make less money.[/QUOTE]

See, the issue here is that publishers, instead of giving you a, high quality & complete product for $40 have reduced reserved that $40 price point for middling quality and games like MX vs ATV: Alive which sells you the other half of the game as DLC.

If we show publishers that we'd support a tiered pricing model maybe they'll take quality games and price them lower.

[quote name='chimpmeister']From my understanding, the problem is not replay value, it is actual play value . . . as in, how much time are you actually playing the game, vs. watching cutscenes and QTEs? While I'm sure the animation and bizarre stages and bosses are interesting, if most of the time you actually aren't playing the game, it seems more like an interactive anime cartoon, not a game. It sounds like it had a lot of potential, but they killed the game with excessive non-play elements.[/QUOTE]

While I understand where you're coming from but you can also point to games like MGS 3/4 where half the time you're "playing" the game, you're watching a cutscene.

Even a more extreme case of this would be Heavy Rain with its main emphasis on dialogue and story bits where you're just doing QTEs and pressing buttons from time to time along with a very minimal use of moving about in the environment.

All those games have one thing in common to me though, they're all very good games and should be experienced by everyone. I'm not interested in just how much interactivity a game needs to be considered a "game" but rather how compelling and interesting the experience is as a whole and to me, Asura's Wrath is an absolute roller coaster ride of thrills that I will remember for a long time to come.

I'm intrigued by this kind of "interactive story" game (Dreamfall is one of my favorite game experiences ever and it has very little "gameplay" at all besides walking around and finding the trigger for the next cutscene), but I'm not at all interested in the OTT shonen anime aspect of this particular game. Maybe next time.

[quote name='styl3s']Is there more then 1 spot where they keep clearance games? i check my local target 4-5 times a week and they never have anything in clearance worth getting, most the time it's just 10-15% off msrp on games that are years old.

games that should be selling for $19.99 but are like 52.99 or 4x.xx[/QUOTE]

4-5x a week?
seriously?
o_O

bread's done
Back