ASUS Laptop at Amazon - Good deal?? Need Opinions Please!!

Dahk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JZC42A/?tag=slickdeals

Please some opinions on this. It seems like a good deal to me but I dont know much about computers. All I know is that its really portable and has an HDMI port. Those are my 2 main selling points.

I dont plan on doing much gaming or anything. I dont mind that there isnt a DVD drive either. The only thing throwing me off is the price. Is there a comparable laptop out there that might be cheaper? It doesnt have to be superlight like this one but under 5 lb's is preferable. I was hoping to spend only around $500 at most.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that video card justify the extra $60?

Whats the point of having bluetooth on a laptop?

Id prefer to go cheaper than more expensive to be perfectly honest. Thank you for the input.

I have the same exact laptop except its 15". LOVE IT, GREAT battery life! Lightweight and skinny. Typically have about 20 tabs open in Firefox while listening to music and no lag!

When I think Bluetooth, I think of those things people wear on their ears with their phones. Is this the same thing? Or is it the same technology applied to something else.

Can you just give me an example of what I might use the Bluetooth with?

[quote name='Dahk']When I think Bluetooth, I think of those things people wear on their ears with their phones. Is this the same thing? Or is it the same technology applied to something else.

Can you just give me an example of what I might use the Bluetooth with?[/QUOTE]

They have wireless bluetooth mouses and if you have a phone or some other device, you can connect it to the laptop wirelessly through bluetooth (that is if the device supports bluetooth)

[quote name='Dahk']When I think Bluetooth, I think of those things people wear on their ears with their phones. Is this the same thing? Or is it the same technology applied to something else.

Can you just give me an example of what I might use the Bluetooth with?[/QUOTE]

Bluetooth is something devices use to send information back and forth to each other like printers, scanners, and those ear mic things. If you don't have anything that uses bluetooth I would just not worry about it.

I only have one thing that does(cell phone) and I use a $3 usb bluetooth dongle that just goes into a usb port and gives my laptop bluetooth...

it can connect a mouse , minus a usb port (if it is integrated as this one is)
it is not necessary, but why not if it comes with the computer
I believe you can even hook up to your phone to get wireless access to the internet

Ok so does anyone think the video card justifies the extra 60? Are there any other differences between those 2 laptops I should know about?

Also, does anyone know any comparable laptops that might be cheaper? I dont need anything too fancy. This will mainly be used for web browsing and email. I just need it to be portable and have an HDMI port so I can stream netflix to an HDTV.

if you use the integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD video with this 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo, I would just be afraid of choppy playback on a big screen at 1080p.

there have been some pretty insane prices on laptops lately, I will keep an eye out for a comparable one...

Thanks. I wish I knew more about what to look for when it comes to laptop specs...but I dont.

If anyone else has anything to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back