AT&T blocks 4chan

[quote name='Moxio']I can't wait for retards to overreact. Getting the CEO's address and phone number? Give me a break.[/QUOTE]
Well, I don't think one can overreact in a situation like this when gatekeepers (ISPs) decide to act like censors, but there are good and bad ways of going about things.
Knowing /b, there are gonna be a good amount of folks who are going to react incorrectly and lash out at any and everything AT&T, whether or not it will help them.

Absolutely ridiculous. I don't go to the site either (nor have AT&T for anything), but ISPs have no business blocking websites.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Well, I don't think one can overreact in a situation like this when gatekeepers (ISPs) decide to act like censors, but there are good and bad ways of going about things.
Knowing /b, there are gonna be a good amount of folks who are going to react incorrectly and lash out at any and everything AT&T, whether or not it will help them.[/QUOTE]

It's understandable to be upset about getting Internet censored. That is bullshit.

But now that people are plastering his personal email and home address across ED, there's no way quite a few 4chan morons are going to do stupid things. This is from the ED page: "For maximum effect, fuck with their Investor relations contacts [link]". :roll:

LOL. If only they knew what they'd gotten themselves into fucking with 4chan. This should be interesting... to say the very least.

I just had a random thought... What if somehow AT&T was about to wrangle up a posse of internet nerds and somehow can fight back at the onslaught they are about to recieve? Not only would it be a complete shocker, but it could also be pretty amusing.

LOL @ the thought of an anti-4chan Geek Squad of sorts. Now I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to how this situation will play itself out in the next six months.

I generally avoid any of the chan's except for certain ones relevent to my interests - but to control what sites a person can go to is a very slippery slope which will not end well if it continues.

While I'm usually against censorship of any kind, it is 4chan. It's not like any one has legit buisness there anyway. This will be fun to watch though.

[quote name='Genocidal']Good. All those idiots getting up in arms and suggesting they try and DDoS AT&T are hilarious, though.[/QUOTE]Why is this good?

[quote name='Ziv']While I'm usually against censorship of any kind, it is 4chan. It's not like any one has legit buisness there anyway. This will be fun to watch though.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't seem to me like you're against censorship of any kind; it seems to me like you're a hypocrite.

Honestly, this is complete bullshit. 4chan is a shithole filled with irrational degenerate douchebags, but I really hope they can pull it together enough to fight this intelligently. I really don't want AT&T setting a precedent for censorship.

I can't defend an ISP blocking anything....but I wanna type this:

I just cannot respect a member of that site. The thing is....that site is full of more than likely regular folk who I probably even work with!

Well, if they're planning to do it, they've not done it yet, as I can get to the front page of 4chan, and I'm on an AT&T connection.

However, I'd truly love to know how they can rationalize this little move, if they go forward with it.

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, if they're planning to do it, they've not done it yet, as I can get to the front page of 4chan, and I'm on an AT&T connection.

However, I'd truly love to know how they can rationalize this little move, if they go forward with it.[/QUOTE]

They're only blocking /b/ and /r9k/.

Some rival pedophilia-laden website (not kidding) who was spamming 4chan's boards spoofed 4chan's IP and DoS'ed ATT.

The block has been removed. Back to normal, kiddies.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I generally avoid any of the chan's except for certain ones relevent to my interests - but to control what sites a person can go to is a very slippery slope which will not end well if it continues.[/QUOTE]

12chan?

It's already over. fucking Anontalk probably did it. Apparently AT&T was breaking the law, lol.

I miss 4chan circa early 2004, long before all this fucking Anonymous (with a capital "A") bullshit ruined the site.

fucking new$$$s, man. Everyone who started using 4chan after 2004 sucks.

[quote name='Moxio']Getting the CEO's address and phone number? Give me a break.[/QUOTE]
What is so weird about that?

4 chan is probably my favorite site to watch. Not for content, but just to see which *insert group here* hates them and how they are going to retaliate or who is trying to DDOS it.

Either way AT&T had no right to due this under the 1st amendment.

4Chan is simultaneously the absolute worst part of the internet at the same time it is completely fascinating.

The way it attracts attention and acts, I suspect similar episodes to this will happen in the future. Hell, I'd go so far as to predict some know-nothing politician will label them a terrorist organization in the future (assuming one has not done so already).

AT&T Statement Regarding img.4chan.org
Dallas, Texas, July 27, 2009 newsrelease Beginning Friday, an AT&T customer was impacted by a denial-of-service attack stemming from IP addresses connected to img.4chan.org. To prevent this attack from disrupting service for the impacted AT&T customer, and to prevent the attack from spreading to impact our other customers, AT&T temporarily blocked access to the IP addresses in question for our customers. This action was in no way related to the content at img.4chan.org; our focus was on protecting our customers from malicious traffic. Overnight Sunday, after we determined the denial-of-service threat no longer existed, AT&T removed the block on the IP addresses in question. We will continue to monitor for denial-of-service activity and any malicious traffic to protect our customers.

The sad part of this is that regardless of their reasoning, people will assume that " they should've handled it better" and " this is all a ploy". When they stop trying to conduct themselves like a terrorist organization and go back to being a bunch of dudes on the internet looking at funny pictures , they won't get shit from politicians, myke.

Last edited by a moderator:
What incentive do they have to censor the internet? If they censor it, what incentive would other companies have to censor themselves too instead of just making money off of their lost costumers? It's all about money and if a bunch of companies got together and did that, there would still be one stand alone company that made money going the other way. It amuses me that people believe that companies give a shit about the content on a very small segment of the internet.

1.jpg

Those of you scoffing at 4chan, how would you feel if AT&T blocked cheapassgamer.com?

This is only the beginning of an internet that will come to be owned by a handful of companies.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']AT&T Statement Regarding img.4chan.org

The sad part of this is that regardless of their reasoning, people will assume that " they should've handled it better" and " this is all a ploy".[/QUOTE]Wait, are you actually saying that AT&T handled this well? Blocking access to a website for what appears to be no reason and only issuing a statement once the fact that they did block it was spreading incredibly quickly is the best way of handling things instead of being transparent from the beginning? Please.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']What incentive do they have to censor the internet? If they censor it, what incentive would other companies have to censor themselves too instead of just making money off of their lost costumers? It's all about money and if a bunch of companies got together and did that, there would still be one stand alone company that made money going the other way. It amuses me that people believe that companies give a shit about the content on a very small segment of the internet.[/QUOTE]
"To protect the children!"

They had people there to block the domain; why could they not have someone write up a paragraph to email to the media?

Don't be retarded.

You've never worked in the tech field, have you? Techs will be on call 24/7 for issues with the network, but like hell they're going to be issuing a statement to the public. Even if they have time, it's not their job and if they say something stupid they're likely to be fired.

Those who would be issuing statements, the PR types or what have you are out of there 5pm on Friday at the latest, and even if they are aware of an issue that happens midday on a Sunday... it can wait until Monday.

When you have something this big (at least it is to some people) you call people in on the damn weekend if you have to. This is no small deal when you look at the bigger implications. As usual large companies are so out of touch with reality that they don't know when something is a big deal or not.

Hell, it was just blocking one section of some shitty website, who cares, right?

[quote name='JolietJake']Hell, it was just blocking one section of some shitty website, who cares, right?[/QUOTE]

Anyone that's not a part of the "computer" world like my parents would have no clue. Hell, I barely knew what that shitty wesite is.

I was training a woman who worked for AT&T before joining our company. She said they consistently had a queue of 200. I just had to laugh as I added more people to my dummy Facebook account in between calls.

[quote name='rabbitt']Those of you scoffing at 4chan, how would you feel if AT&T blocked cheapassgamer.com?

This is only the beginning of an internet that will come to be owned by a handful of companies.[/QUOTE]

If DoS attacks were originating from CAG's IP, I'd have no problem with it. I would expect the situation to be resolved quickly once it was determined what was behind the attacks. If Cheapy's server was zombified the guy controlling it would likely try to push malware on site visitors, too.

The world is a rough place. Wear a helmet and don't act all butthurt when stuff happens that amounts to nothing more than mild inconvenience.

[quote name='epobirs']If DoS attacks were originating from CAG's IP, I'd have no problem with it. I would expect the situation to be resolved quickly once it was determined what was behind the attacks. If Cheapy's server was zombified the guy controlling it would likely try to push malware on site visitors, too.

The world is a rough place. Wear a helmet and don't act all butthurt when stuff happens that amounts to nothing more than mild inconvenience.[/QUOTE]

It's not the mild inconveniences I'm worried about (a traffic jam is a mild inconvenience). Something like this is only a showing of what a company could really do, given a motive, an agenda, and the power ($) to do so.

Similar situation with Amazon removing the digital copies of 1984 from their database. People were not in-arms about losing a book, but about the principle of the circumstance and the Big Brotherness, poor judgment, and distasteful action Amazon took to remedy "the problem."

The Internet is the final frontier and the only technology that gives a two-way forum. It is empowering to me that I can say this here and know that you can respond. All other forms of communication deny regular people a voice. Remember, radio was taken over by the government "in the interest of the public" because people weren't able to take care of it themselves (indeed, it was what the people wanted), but one look at radio now will show you a near-dead audience and a cesspool of McDonald's commercials, the 100 most digestible songs on repeat, and a torrent of obnoxious car salesmen shouting at you. If it weren't for radio having a captive audience, I'd said it was six feet under.

It's no secret that the huge telecommunications companies are spending record amounts on lobbyists and trying harder than ever to eliminate Net Neutrality. Look at China. There's a new saying over there that goes "the Great Firewall of China was built with American bricks." I don't have to tell you that AT&T's recent perversion reeks of censorship because you already know that.

Blocking 4chan doesn't directly affect either of us (I hope). So, other isolated circumstances appear now and then, and, still, neither of us are affected. However, AT&T has its foot in the door, so to speak, and situations pop up more frequently. Now it won't be such a big deal if another ISP does the same thing. It's worth taking serious. I hope you'll take the time to honestly think about it and reconsider Net Neutrality as more than a silly notion.

I won't belittle your intelligence by listing all that could happen under an omnipotent ISP because, again, you've already thought a possible implication without even meaning to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, rabbitt.

[quote name='Genocidal']You've never worked in the tech field, have you? Techs will be on call 24/7 for issues with the network, but like hell they're going to be issuing a statement to the public. Even if they have time, it's not their job and if they say something stupid they're likely to be fired.

Those who would be issuing statements, the PR types or what have you are out of there 5pm on Friday at the latest, and even if they are aware of an issue that happens midday on a Sunday... it can wait until Monday.[/QUOTE]

I don't need to work in the tech field to tell you when something stupid was done. You aren't justifying any part of AT&T's actions; you're explaining why things went down the way they did, but that's no excuse for handling things so shittily.

bread's done
Back