Atelier Rorona - Gen. Discussion & Info - Screenshots Posted

I'll know tonight I think. I had the call last night on my machine saying it would be in today. I'll still call after lunch and see if they got it in. (I'll post an update then and let everyone know)

Ok just called local Gamestop and they have their copies in. So everyone who wanted it should be able to go get a copy. (I assume all GS get stuff in the same day)

[quote name='Nogib']What the hell...my local GS didn't get in either of their pre-order copies today. :([/QUOTE]
Maybe the truck didn't come in yet?

When I first called at 12 o'clock they told me the truck had just come in and they had no clue what had arrived.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Maybe the truck didn't come in yet?

When I first called at 12 o'clock they told me the truck had just come in and they had no clue what had arrived.[/QUOTE]

Nah, they already had all their shipments. They just weren't sent the pre-orders I and some other guy had and allegedly their system says it is shipping today for delivery tomorrow. I just found it very unusual after years of clockwork pre-orders from them but oh well.

[quote name='Nogib']What the hell...my local GS didn't get in either of their pre-order copies today. :([/QUOTE]

Check again. My GS JUST got theirs in about 30 minutes ago. I wish I had the money for it too, the box that holds everything looks really nice.

EDIT: I see you're in MN. Call back around 4PM your time and see if it came in. My store had 0 listed in-stock and 0 listed as in-transit/delivery, and then low-and-behold, four copies showed up via UPS.

Does this game have the option to do Japanese audio and English subtitles? Not a big deal, just nice bonus.

This is more of a traditional Atelier series game. You have a single objective up front and you're given a time frame to complete it in or you fail. This isn't really anything like the Iris or Mana Khemia series.

[quote name='ck76']Does this game have the option to do Japanese audio and English subtitles? Not a big deal, just nice bonus.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I found an unboxing video...[/QUOTE]

That is a freaking sweet box :bouncy:. Didn't know what it actually looked like but I'm glad it wasn't that cheap type one that came with Agarest. Got a call today from GS telling me it will be in tomorrow afternoon.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I found an unboxing video...
[/QUOTE]

Sweet box. It looks like a standard ps2 deluxe edition rpg box. Of course, the box is a bit bigger due to larger art book.

[quote name='Draekon']This is more of a traditional Atelier series game. You have a single objective up front and you're given a time frame to complete it in or you fail. This isn't really anything like the Iris or Mana Khemia series.[/QUOTE]

That seem nothing new to rpg series. Most JRPG developers try to add some new combat or mechanics to give it a fresh new look, but deep inside the core gameplay is really the same. An example is Final Fantasy with active time based system, Shin Megami Tensei games with press turn battle system, Gust series uses Alchemy system and NIS uses a turned based strategy.

How does the time frame work in this game? Is it a fix interval with fix story attach to a certain season similar to Persona 3-4 or Valkyria Chronicles 2? I hope they don't use Atelier Iris 3 stupid dungeon time frame system. In that game they boot you out of dungeon for staying too long. Very annoying if your trying to multitask by farming for items, complete quests or finding loose treasure all at once. Most of time you have to replay the same map over and over due to limited time. The worst part is those dungeon time frame does nothing special to the game but to annoy the players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just going to repost what I said in the RPG general thread:

I fired up Atelier Rorona tonight, but I just couldn't bring myself to play more than an hour. The game is good, but I don't completely understand the way the synthesis grading works. I made three items from a recipe but I lost 4 points o_O I may just wait until more people have played through and a guide is provided so I can reference if I need to. Not to mention I'm not entirely fond of the time restrictions this game has, I went to the field and tried completing some quests and a week already went by.

[quote name='fatbeer']That seem nothing new to rpg series. Most JRPG developers try to add some new combat or mechanics to give it a fresh new look, but deep inside the core gameplay is really the same. An example is Final Fantasy with active time based system, Shin Megami Tensei games with press turn battle system, Gust series uses Alchemy system and NIS uses a turned based strategy.

How does the time frame work in this game? Is it a fix interval with fix story attach to a certain season similar to Persona 3-4 or Valkyria Chronicles 2? I hope they don't use Atelier Iris 3 stupid dungeon time frame system. In that game they boot you out of dungeon for staying too long. Very annoying if your trying to multitask by farming for items, complete quests or finding loose treasure all at once. Most of time you have to replay the same map over and over due to limited time. The worst part is those dungeon time frame does nothing special to the game but to annoy the players.[/QUOTE]

Well, I wrote that as more of a standard warning as a lot of people hate that kind of game. As for how time works in this game? Anything you do (except moving around town), such as alchemy or moving from area to area outside of town will use up your days. Depending on the recipe difficulty (maybe in comparison to your alchemy level?) it will use up days accordingly. Some, such as Polish Powder take a whole day to make one, but other recipes can take as lot as 1/5th of a day. Then each 'major assignment' has three months to complete and you have 12 to do in total for the duration of three years.

That is what I am refering to when I mentioned they have a time frame. Though I should mention that only moving between areas outside of town will set off the amount of days it takes and not the amount of time spent in one area. The areas are rather small and enemies don't respawn.

[quote name='Cheska19']Im just going to repost what I said in the RPG general thread:

I fired up Atelier Rorona tonight, but I just couldn't bring myself to play more than an hour. The game is good, but I don't completely understand the way the synthesis grading works. I made three items from a recipe but I lost 4 points o_O I may just wait until more people have played through and a guide is provided so I can reference if I need to. Not to mention I'm not entirely fond of the time restrictions this game has, I went to the field and tried completing some quests and a week already went by.[/QUOTE]

You mean you lost 4 health? The game tutorial said that synthesizing items will drain your health. As for actual grading, if you go to the encyclopedia they'll tell you what each of the terms do on items so far. For the most part it's useless until you get further into the game and have a wider variety to craft from.

Received shipping confirmation this morning, and according to the tracking number, it should come tomorrow. Shame I'm going camping this weekend.

Got mine last night. Nice big box, good artbook included. I havent' played the game yet, (added it to my massive backlog) but looks solid in what I've read so far.

At work to at least 6pm. Going to rush over later to my local GS so they don't sell my copy to some shmo that came running at the last minute to pick up the exclusive box. Seriously though are they not supposed to hold your copy for at least 2 days? I've had a few friends that "lost" their reserved copy because of something like this.

Damn, I know it's just a box but that would have been awesome. I don't see why NIS couldn't have just sold their copies the exact same way and just included the CD with the box. Oh well, the game is most important and that's all that matters. :eek:

Anyone who ordered it online and received it could comment on the shipment packaging? Box or bubble envelope?

I tend to hope they would use a box but some moron packers would just shove it into an envelope and let it self-destroy en-route.

I have a $10 coupon so I could bring it down to $50 shipped.

[quote name='Cheska19']Im just going to repost what I said in the RPG general thread:

I fired up Atelier Rorona tonight, but I just couldn't bring myself to play more than an hour. The game is good, but I don't completely understand the way the synthesis grading works. I made three items from a recipe but I lost 4 points o_O I may just wait until more people have played through and a guide is provided so I can reference if I need to. Not to mention I'm not entirely fond of the time restrictions this game has, I went to the field and tried completing some quests and a week already went by.[/QUOTE]

I wonder does this game use the same formula as any other Gust Alchemy system? I don't own this game but I do recall that the first base ingredient will determine the item yield; so switching the first ingredient will most likely result in a change in item. The 2-4 ingredients are stats modifiers. They will determine the grade of your item. If you use Mana assistance, they will increase the stats even more. If this game still retain the old game mechanics if you see a icon near an item, it could either represent a new item fusion or a trigger for a character event.

[quote name='Draekon']Well, I wrote that as more of a standard warning as a lot of people hate that kind of game. As for how time works in this game? Anything you do (except moving around town), such as alchemy or moving from area to area outside of town will use up your days. Depending on the recipe difficulty (maybe in comparison to your alchemy level?) it will use up days accordingly. Some, such as Polish Powder take a whole day to make one, but other recipes can take as lot as 1/5th of a day. Then each 'major assignment' has three months to complete and you have 12 to do in total for the duration of three years.

That is what I am refering to when I mentioned they have a time frame. Though I should mention that only moving between areas outside of town will set off the amount of days it takes and not the amount of time spent in one area. The areas are rather small and enemies don't respawn.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Does these time rules apply to story mission as well or just the side quests? If so, if you do not complete it in set time frame will it result in a game over like Pikmin 1 or Dead Rising 1 or branch in storyline? I have a hard time believing that this time rule will affect the storyline since most JRPG are very linear.

[quote name='eau']Anyone who ordered it online and received it could comment on the shipment packaging? Box or bubble envelope?

I tend to hope they would use a box but some moron packers would just shove it into an envelope and let it self-destroy en-route.

I have a $10 coupon so I could bring it down to $50 shipped.[/QUOTE]

I would like to know as well. I have a $10 coupon as well.

When I order Sakura Wars for ps2 it came in box. But when I order Etrain Odyssey 3 it came in padded envelope. Luckily, artbook came in good condition with very minor cosmetic flaws.

[quote name='fatbeer']I wonder does this game use the same formula as any other Gust Alchemy system? I don't own this game but I do recall that the first base ingredient will determine the item yield; so switching the first ingredient will most likely result in a change in item. The 2-4 ingredients are stats modifiers. They will determine the grade of your item. If you use Mana assistance, they will increase the stats even more. If this game still retain the old game mechanics if you see a icon near an item, it could either represent a new item fusion or a trigger for a character event.[/QUOTE]

It's not the same as the other english released atelier games to my knowledge, but I haven't played the NDS one yet, which may be more similar than the other ones.

Of course you still learn stuff from books like all other atelier games. Also, ingredients are very, very different this time around. Their bonuses are random and you'll need to individually select them for however many items you're making at that time. Which can add a bunch of effects to the item as they all seem to be applied to all of the crafted items since you're mass-producing in a cauldron.

[quote name='fatbeer']Interesting. Does these time rules apply to story mission as well or just the side quests? If so, if you do not complete it in set time frame will it result in a game over like Pikmin 1 or Dead Rising 1 or branch in storyline? I have a hard time believing that this time rule will affect the storyline since most JRPG are very linear. [/QUOTE]

While I haven't failed a main story mission (and I've only put a little time into it since I got it since I've been quite busy with other stuff), they are quite adamant about telling you that you will fail if you don't complete one of the 12 main story objectives in the time allotted. So I assume it's more akin to Pikmin level of failure.

So far I haven't had an issue though. I completed the first main objective with 30 days left all the while hunting and crafting stuff for jobs inside of town.

[quote name='fatbeer']I would like to know as well. I have a $10 coupon as well. [/QUOTE]

From Amazon, mine was in a bubbler.

Just got mine last night. Played for about 3 hours, so far I think the time management isn't as strict as I thought it would be. I'm only on the first assignment for the king but I completed it with around 50 days to go. I'm dungeoning and making everything to complete the side request as it seems that this is the only major way to make actual money. The health Rorona loses for using Alchemy is way less of an issue then I also thought it would be. Once you get your second party member you can use his second skill (which you learn after a few lv's) to heal back up to full hp during battles, before heading back to town. All this is from the very start of the game if they ramp up the penalties and demands tenfold or anything I probably will have a hard time managing the limited amount of days.

[quote name='Draekon']From Amazon, mine was in a bubbler.[/QUOTE]

Did your Amazon version came with an art book or just a bare bones regular copy? I rather go with Amazon over Gamestop since I have some leftover credit at Amazon. If it doesn't come with artbook I might go with Gamestop instead.

[quote name='fatbeer']Did your Amazon version came with an art book or just a bare bones regular copy? I rather go with Amazon over Gamestop since I have some leftover credit at Amazon. If it doesn't come with artbook I might go with Gamestop instead.[/QUOTE]

Regular.

[quote name='backseatdog']so to clarify, anybody ordered from gamestop.com and got the outer box?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I got mine from Gamestop today, and it was in a box. Everything is in perfect condition.[/QUOTE]

It was like 3 posts up from yours.

[quote name='backseatdog']so to clarify, anybody ordered from gamestop.com and got the outer box?[/QUOTE]

I got the artbook and the box from a gamestop.com preorder.

You have to beat it about 14 times for the platinum... (There is a separate trophy for every ending and there are about 14 endings)

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You have to beat it about 14 times for the platinum... (There is a separate trophy for every ending and there are about 14 endings)[/QUOTE]

SHOCKED... Sorry I asked... man, that's one hard to earn platinum, no freaking way you want to beat a game 14 times :lol:

[quote name='Hell Monkey']That is evil. 14 times? There isn't a way to keep old saves at key decision points to help you out with cutting down time on that?[/QUOTE]
There aren't really decision points. Most of the endings are based on whether you maxed your friendship with a certain character (and how well you did on all the castle assignments + your town popularity). Then there are a few others. According to PS3trophies.org, they say you can get them all in, like, full 4 playthroughs and reloading old saves. It's all more work than it's worth, I think.

Wow. NISA really makes you work for the platinum.

I'm really glad to pick this up from GS for $50 shipped. The presentation of the premium box is really top notch. Beats the NISA store exclusive bundle that costs $70+ shipped. I can probably find the OST rip from another source.

[quote name='eau']Wow. NISA really makes you work for the platinum.

I'm really glad to pick this up from GS for $50 shipped. The presentation of the premium box is really top notch. Beats the NISA store exclusive bundle that costs $70+ shipped. I can probably find the OST rip from another source.[/QUOTE]

How did you get the GS copy for $50 shipped? A coupon? But none of them work on one game... you must have used the $20 off $100 and you bought another game with it, no?

Still waiting for a deal on this game....

[quote name='Serpentor']How did you get the GS copy for $50 shipped? A coupon? But none of them work on one game... you must have used the $20 off $100 and you bought another game with it, no?

Still waiting for a deal on this game....[/QUOTE]
I used a $10 coupon from one of their Buy X Get $10 coupon promos early this year. Then stacked with SAVER to knock it down to $50 with free shipping.

They shipped it in a box. The dicks at UPS managed to beat the box out of shape as usual. Luckily, the game was still in perfect shape.

Good to know, thanks. I'm still waiting for a good deal on this game. Now that there's a Dead Space 2 LE, I might have to get both.

What are the chances this game will still be available brand new in a few months? I think there is gonna be a price drop cause according to gs online the used is only 44 while new is 60

[quote name='drunkenxsouljah']What are the chances this game will still be available brand new in a few months? I think there is gonna be a price drop cause according to gs online the used is only 44 while new is 60[/QUOTE]
That's probably because the MSRP is $50, but gamestop is selling a special edition for $60 and the used copies don't come with the stuff that the special edition does.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']That's probably because the MSRP is $50, but gamestop is selling a special edition for $60 and the used copies don't come with the stuff that the special edition does.[/QUOTE]

the gamestop I bought it at said the premium box editions were the only ones they were selling and I could only get the used copies online for right now weird

This is down to $39.99 at gamestop, which I think is low enough for me, if someone can tell me something. Is this game more like Atelier Annie in that its more about the alchemy and shop related stuff, or is it about the exploration, battles, and to a lesser extent the alchemy like the 3 PS2 atelier games.

Only played through a couple of assignments so far, but pretty much everything revolves around getting your alchemy assignments completed. There's a lot there besides the alchemy, but the main reason you'll be doing it is to make sure your alchemy assignments get completed (and to a lesser extent, making people in the town happy).

Never actually played any of the other Ateliers, btw, so don't know how it compares to those.

[quote name='Gden']This is down to $39.99 at gamestop, which I think is low enough for me, if someone can tell me something. Is this game more like Atelier Annie in that its more about the alchemy and shop related stuff, or is it about the exploration, battles, and to a lesser extent the alchemy like the 3 PS2 atelier games.[/QUOTE]
It is not like the PS2 games. I never played Annie, but the game focuses on the alchemy a lot, but you do have to go into the dungeons quite frequently to get ingredients.

bread's done
Back