AtGames Portable Genesis - $24.99 @ Walgreens (YMMV)

Zero3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
So that AtGames Portable Genesis player (amazon.com link) is 50% off at Walgreens right now. I picked mine up in Palo Alto, CA and unfortunately it was the last one. This is the portable that has an SD card slot for "additional storage".

It comes preloaded with 80 games, though only 40 are actual Genesis titles. I tested out Altered Beast today and it played quite well. I don't remember the first boss "shaking" when he was dying, like his sprite was just jittering, but that could just be my forgotten memories or maybe it is bad emulation. 

In any case, $25 is not bad! Good luck!

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Thanks OP, seems like a good deal for only $25. The SD card slot is a big plus too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rssWa7VXzF8

Doesn't seem too horrible for $25 but you'd almost be better off putting that money towards a used PSP Go which is an emulation powerhouse. 

This is a nice deal if you can find the version featured in the video above. It includes Street Fighter II and Mega Man: Wily Wars (a collection of the first three MM games) as bonuses, but it may have been exclusive to specific retailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine this being worth the money. This is the same company that makes the Genesis Flashback unit, and the emulation quality on these is awful, particularly the sound emulation (the sound effects are horrible and the music is pitched incorrectly.)

I agree-- save the $25 toward a used PSP GO or something similar. I got one from Amazon about 2 months ago for $70 that looked like a newly refurbished unit.

Walgreens gets these emulation consoles every year around the holidays and they get clearanced out shortly after Christmas. They were 90% clearance when i saw them last year so selling for $5. The store i work at now only has them @ 50% clearance and they only have the Coleco Vision. 

Each store does clearance differently. Some try to make as much money as they can while others just want to get rid of the inventory asap to prepare for New Years and Valentines Day. 

I bought one of these for my son at Dollar General. While it is a nice portable device, the sound emulation is wrong. It plays at the right tempo, but the pitch is lower than the originals. If you didn't grow up with them, you probably wouldn't notice, but hearing Sonic music at a lower pitch sounds wrong.

EDIT: you can hear it in the video posted above. Listen to the Sonic intro song.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back