Atlanta CAG Thread, v2.0

[quote name='El Gray']I'm curious if the film will be any good, though. Does Night have ANYTHING good left in the tank?[/QUOTE]

It looks interesting. I'm like you (too far, weird time). I think he gets slammed pretty hard by people because of the way he comes off "personally". If you don't take into account The Happening, he's actually a pretty consistent director (technically for his type of style, he's made more good/original character pieces than most of his contemporaries. He's made more hits than duds and a lot of them can't say that). IMO, Unbreakable is still his best film to date (second Signs).

I think he gets slammed for his movies > his personality. Though I do agree that his films generally have been good. I liked The Happening even if the end game was a tad weak. It wasn't as weak as in my opinion Signs and the over all was much better than Lady in the Water. or what I hear he did with Avatar.

Deserved or not his reputation right now is kinda mud and for him to put his name on Devil like that shows some balls. Gotta respect that.

[quote name='guinaevere']Don't know if I constitute as a regular, but if I do, I sent a PM as I'd love to see this movie.[/QUOTE]

Of course you're a regular. I'll mail it in the morning. If it doesn't get there by Thursday someone's posterior will be lawn clippings.

[quote name='neocisco']Of course you're a regular. I'll mail it in the morning. If it doesn't get there by Thursday someone's posterior will be lawn clippings.[/QUOTE]
Sweet! Thank you Neo! :bouncy::bouncy:

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Don't trust that lurker.[/QUOTE]:whistle2:$

:rofl:

Devil looks really good. I think some of the problem with M Night is the promotional team. After Sixth Sense and Unbreakable I was hyped to see an alien movie by him when Signs was advertized. It was a rare theater viewing for me and I hated it. I later watched it again at a friends house and loved it. The problem was it was hyped as an alien invasion movie by Night when it was really the same core as his other movies: a character driven tension filled movie with a twist. With the proper expectation for the village I really liked it although most hated it. Once again it was hyped by the commercials all wrong. It wasn't meant to be a really scary thriller. It was meant to be a tension filled creepy character based movie with a twist. Can't speak on the rest although Lady and the one everyone hates looked interesting.

hahahaha! Yes, you remember correctly. Aw snap, it's already sold out.

Edit: See?!?!? Chicago CAGs aren't afraid of meeting up for some fun. I'm moving up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guinaevere']hahahaha! Yes, you remember correctly. Aw snap, it's already sold out.

Edit: See?!?!? Chicago CAGs aren't afraid of meeting up for some fun. I'm moving up there.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah but probably only because one of them has a Walmart face. I mean, who wouldn't want to meet someone who looks like that? :p

Gwen, any ideas what/where a good meet up would be? I'm in Sandy Springs now but I still head up to Acworth/Woodstock every now and again and will also go to Midtown.

Sidebar - I was at Dragoncon on the 4th, taking in the sites; snuck back in after they kicked everyone out of the hotel who didn't have a pass or room key with some friends. Had a good time looking at the people and their costumes, even if I didn't have a clue who half the people were dressed up as.

I'm down for a meetup. We should do something central to everybody. I'm in South Gwinnett, along with jdawgg and I think another person too. Perhaps something close to the city?

doubt I'll be back anytime this year except to see girl but just thought I'd throw this your guys way maybe some of you SingStar peeps will want to go when they announce dates

SingStar Dance will be featured as part of a line-up of PlayStation Move titles featured in our “PlayStation HQ” locations and PlayStation Move Mall Tour locations in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Houston, Washington DC, and Chicago.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Devil looks really good. I think some of the problem with M Night is the promotional team. After Sixth Sense and Unbreakable I was hyped to see an alien movie by him when Signs was advertized. It was a rare theater viewing for me and I hated it. I later watched it again at a friends house and loved it. The problem was it was hyped as an alien invasion movie by Night when it was really the same core as his other movies: a character driven tension filled movie with a twist. With the proper expectation for the village I really liked it although most hated it. Once again it was hyped by the commercials all wrong. It wasn't meant to be a really scary thriller. It was meant to be a tension filled creepy character based movie with a twist. Can't speak on the rest although Lady and the one everyone hates looked interesting.[/QUOTE]you know what that's pretty fair. Because I liked the Village but it wasn't like it was advertised. Similar with The Happening. once I removed that level of expectation they were still enjoyable flicks.

I still have no hope for Avatar though.

[quote name='hpbbes']If anyone sees Super Street Fighter IV for PS3 on clearance at Target, can you let me know?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it had a first mark down at the North Point Target when I was there this past weekend. I want to say it was 34.98 or something like that. It was still in the plastic prison like most of the other early clearance games in the ~$30 range.

Only cheaper ones for PS3 (sorry, I dont pay attention to 360 games) was Lego Rock Band for $20 (which I hear is MSRP) and one copy of Ghostbusters that I bought for $7.48. Speaking of, if anyone wants to do the online tropies for that one at a later time, let me know. I do not know anybody that has it.

Cool - thanks for the heads up. $34.xx before tax is still more than amazon, but I don't know if I can wait for the $20-ish range. I bought a TE stick and need games.

[quote name='GamingGator']Pretty sure it had a first mark down at the North Point Target when I was there this past weekend. I want to say it was 34.98 or something like that. It was still in the plastic prison like most of the other early clearance games in the ~$30 range.

Only cheaper ones for PS3 (sorry, I dont pay attention to 360 games) was Lego Rock Band for $20 (which I hear is MSRP) and one copy of Ghostbusters that I bought for $7.48. Speaking of, if anyone wants to do the online tropies for that one at a later time, let me know. I do not know anybody that has it.[/QUOTE]

My wife just called me from the North Point Target and there were the following games in the end cap clearance all for PS3.

Prototype - $20
inFamous - $20
Assassin's Creed - $14
Alpha Protocol - $41
NFS: Undercover - $13
SF IV - $20
Lego and Beatles Rock Band - $20

She also mentioned Saint for the Wii was $10

[quote name='mitch079']Sidebar - I was at Dragoncon on the 4th, taking in the sites; snuck back in after they kicked everyone out of the hotel who didn't have a pass or room key with some friends. Had a good time looking at the people and their costumes, even if I didn't have a clue who half the people were dressed up as.[/QUOTE]

I was there also (not dressed up). Had a blast (3 days of getting drunk and hanging out 24/7 made me about worthless the rest of the week)!

A meet and greet would be great if it's on the weekend. I got out of the corporate retail world and took a federal job in North GA (chose job security over money) so I'm only in Gwinnett and Atlanta on the weekends.

Took a stop at the Walmart in Blairsville. I either came on a good day or the electronics manager hates video games taking up space in his store. They alreay had the Halo Reach 360 controllers clearanced at $45, Halo Reach Bundle for $369, 3-D Heroes for $20 or $25 (I forget) and countless other 360 and PS3 games and accessories clearanced out. I might head back for the Rocketfish PS3 BT they had for $20-$25 (once again I forget). Would have blown most of my paycheck if it was anywhere else but in this area (I'm pretty sure this stuff will sit at the tables and shelves they're on for weeks). Even though it's a "retirement" area, everyone's "hurting" financially (locals and retirees) up there.

BB on Scenic Hwy has about 8 of the 360 controllers (+4 games) for $24.99. They were all black in color. Saw them there tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heyo,
If anyone needs a bit of entertainment this evening, I'll be on WUOG in Athens between 6-8pm with my friend Melissa. We both have good taste in music and are reasonably entertaining on the mic. Listen in if you can!

www.wuog.org

Thanks!

PS - nothing special at Buckhead Target last night.

It's good to be back on the ATL CAG thread. Did a local move recently and it took a bit to set up the network again.

Just read through the last few pages and thought I'd offer my two cents. Love all the cinema conversation, planning on finally taking a trip to the plaza this month and I agree with much of what was posted about M. Night and his films.

As for a meet-up, I'm down for a weekend plan with prior notification. College football is the only thing that might keep me home, especially since my defense-impaired Wolverines are putting up 40 pts a game with weekly nailbiting finishes!:D

Hey, welcome back, Chuckie!

I'd also be up for a meet with enough advanced notice. Hopefully we can get enough momentum this time to make it happen. College football would normally be a distraction for me as well, but given Georgia's current freefall, my interest has been greatly diminished.

For non-football fans, a summation of the UGA fan experience this season:

:pray:

#-o

:censored:

:beer:

[quote name='chuckie88']
Just read through the last few pages and thought I'd offer my two cents. Love all the cinema conversation, planning on finally taking a trip to the plaza this month[/QUOTE]

Couple of special events this week-- Elia Kazan's WILD RIVER tonight at 7:30, and GHOSTBUSTERS tomorrow night at 9:30 (then again a couple more times over the weekend).

I'll probably be at both.

Anyone else going to any of the A3C Festival or Drive-Invasion this weekend?

^On the website it mentioned the Ghostbusters opening night (10/5) as having extras (art opening, costumes, posters, etc.). Will the showings over the weekend (10/8-9) have the extras too or is that only for the first night?

Tybee: Loved your summation of the Bulldog's season so far!:rofl:

[quote name='chuckie88']^On the website it mentioned the Ghostbusters opening night (10/5) as having extras (art opening, costumes, posters, etc.). Will the showings over the weekend (10/8-9) have the extras too or is that only for the first night?[/QUOTE]

The art show will still be on display through the weekend. I doubt there will be anyone in costume at the weekend shows. I guess there's a chance they'll have some posters left, but I can't say for sure. I'll report back after the Tuesday night show.

Sorry to switch the topic, but has anyone seen one of the Band Hero (band kits) for the PS3 @ Best Buy on clearance for $60? I went by the Edgewood BB today, and they looked to be out. Xbox 360 version was marked as $94, I believe, and Wii version was still $160. It could be they are marked down further and just have to be rung up first, I didn't check.

Anyhow, if anyone comes across one for PS3, please post. We bought one on release day for the GH World Tour and got bum drums that just keep getting worse...even with doing "fixes" found online. Now the guitars are cutting out too. So, it's time to replace. Thx in advance!

Oh, meant to mention, I got the ENDLESS OCEAN 2 / Wii Speak bundle for $19 at Edgewood BBuy on Sunday. There was at least one more left at the time. Haven't opened it yet, but I'm actually eager to give it a try.

[quote name='GibbGA']Sorry to switch the topic, but has anyone seen one of the Band Hero (band kits) for the PS3 @ Best Buy on clearance for $60? I went by the Edgewood BB today, and they looked to be out. Xbox 360 version was marked as $94, I believe, and Wii version was still $160. It could be they are marked down further and just have to be rung up first, I didn't check.

Anyhow, if anyone comes across one for PS3, please post. We bought one on release day for the GH World Tour and got bum drums that just keep getting worse...even with doing "fixes" found online. Now the guitars are cutting out too. So, it's time to replace. Thx in advance![/QUOTE]

Saw one over the weekend at the Hiram Best Buy. But there was only one set left.

Beautiful print of GHOSTBUSTERS with a trailer for STREETS OF FIRE (also starring Rick Moranis) running before it. There was a healthy crowd, and great reactions throughout, but no wannabe-MST crap, so that was nice.

They sold out of the Ghostbusters posters tonight, and my friend Mark actually snagged the last one. They were only $5, so I think they went pretty fast. Here's a pic:

http://twitpic.com/2v0uwb

There were a number of costumed 'busters there, plus two makeshift ECTO vehicles. Good times.

If anyone sees a copy of The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition for 360 around town, please let me know. I didn't realize it was OOP. That was fast.

[quote name='El Gray']Beautiful print of GHOSTBUSTERS with a trailer for STREETS OF FIRE (also starring Rick Moranis) running before it. There was a healthy crowd, and great reactions throughout, but no wannabe-MST crap, so that was nice.

They sold out of the Ghostbusters posters tonight, and my friend Mark actually snagged the last one. They were only $5, so I think they went pretty fast. Here's a pic:

http://twitpic.com/2v0uwb

There were a number of costumed 'busters there, plus two makeshift ECTO vehicles. Good times.[/QUOTE]

That does sound like fun. I'm a little bitter because I came down with a massive head cold / fever and was unable to go. Hopefully, I'll still make it out to the theatre sometime this month. It'd be a shame to waste all the good Halloweeny Horror vibe October brings. As for Mark's poster, I AM jealous!

[quote name='Tybee']If anyone sees a copy of The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition for 360 around town, please let me know. I didn't realize it was OOP. That was fast.[/QUOTE]
I'll keep an eye out.

I'm looking for a dirt cheap copy of Alpha Protocol for :360:

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I'll keep an eye out.

I'm looking for a dirt cheap copy of Alpha Protocol for :360:[/QUOTE]

I got it a few weeks ago used at Gamefly for about $15. Everything from Gamefly is complete and looks brand new, save for no shrink wrap. Not sure how much it is there now. Hopefully, it's still cheap.

Just checked. It's in stock and still $15. I think shipping is free too.

[quote name='Clown069']i just got a Wii, if anyone near the Stockbridge area finds a cheap Dead Space: Extraction or anything good please let me know.[/QUOTE]

I saw one used at a Blockbuster in the past few days. $15, I think? I'll try to figure out where I saw it if that sounds interesting to you.

[quote name='El Gray']I saw one used at a Blockbuster in the past few days. $15, I think? I'll try to figure out where I saw it if that sounds interesting to you.[/QUOTE]

sounds great. the blockbuster off of Price Quarters road in Mcdonough is closing, their games are only down to 10% off right now though, just passed by so i havent gotten a chance to check inside yet.

[quote name='Clown069']i just got a Wii, if anyone near the Stockbridge area finds a cheap Dead Space: Extraction or anything good please let me know.[/QUOTE]

In case you missed it, Newegg has Dead Space: Extraction for $14.99 w/ free shipping right now.

[quote name='El Gray']Heyo,
If anyone needs a bit of entertainment this evening, I'll be on WUOG in Athens between 6-8pm with my friend Melissa. We both have good taste in music and are reasonably entertaining on the mic. Listen in if you can!

www.wuog.org

Thanks!

PS - nothing special at Buckhead Target last night.[/QUOTE]

Whoa! Do you normally DJ on WUOG? I was on WUOG back in 1996, doing Sports.

[quote name='Enron']Whoa! Do you normally DJ on WUOG? I was on WUOG back in 1996, doing Sports.[/QUOTE]

Nope, just a one-a-year thing. Melissa is an alum, and was on that station when she was a student. I did college radio in TX.

If you're looking for Wii or PSP Accessories, Johnson Ferry Sears has a bunch right by the customer service desk. Picked up a Sony PSP Travel kit for 4.97, Nyko Perfect Shot and Wireless Sensor Bar for the Wii for 2.97 each. There were also Sham-wows on clearance but didn't look at the price :D

The Kennesaw Toys R Us has some Fire Emblem Wii guides for 2.00 before the 30% off.

[quote name='mitch079']If you're looking for Wii or PSP Accessories, Johnson Ferry Sears has a bunch right by the customer service desk. Picked up a Sony PSP Travel kit for 4.97, Nyko Perfect Shot and Wireless Sensor Bar for the Wii for 2.97 each. There were also Sham-wows on clearance but didn't look at the price :D

The Kennesaw Toys R Us has some Fire Emblem Wii guides for 2.00 before the 30% off.[/QUOTE]
How could not check the ShamWow price.:booty:

Toys R US Buckhead has a decent selection of cheap clearance games w/ additional 30% off. See main TRU Clearance thread for details.

I have 2 tickets for Six Flags that I couldn't use this weekend and won't be able to use next weekend. If anybody wants to go next weekend for Fright Fest or just to go for the rides I can sell the tickets for $40 total. If necessary, I'll mail them priority (at my expense, of course) to make sure they get to you on time. If anyone can help me not completely take a bath on these I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I live in Forsyth county and for the past month or so my Sunday AJC has been missing the Best Buy and Kmart ads. I checked my local grocery store and found it was missing from their papers too. I already emaild the AJC, and apparently those two ads are no longer part of their regular advertisers (where I live anyway).

Is anyone else having this issue? I could understand not getting a Kmart ad, since there isn't one in my county, but there is a Best Buy in Cumming GA...

[quote name='El Gray']Is anyone gonna check out this Capcom Fight Club event tonight?

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/10/28/atlanta!_are_you_ready_for_fight_club_tonight

First chance to play MvsC3, and free pizza/dranks/swag.

[/QUOTE]

Gah! why am I just NOW reading this??? :bomb:

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I live in Forsyth county and for the past month or so my Sunday AJC has been missing the Best Buy and Kmart ads. I checked my local grocery store and found it was missing from their papers too. I already emaild the AJC, and apparently those two ads are no longer part of their regular advertisers (where I live anyway).

Is anyone else having this issue? I could understand not getting a Kmart ad, since there isn't one in my county, but there is a Best Buy in Cumming GA...[/QUOTE]

I'm in Dekalb county and I still see the best buy and, occasionally the kmart ads in my sunday paper.

bread's done
Back