Atlanta CAG Thread, v2.0

I guess the no mail thing is specific to an area because I got mail today. Surprising, because it still seems pretty treacherous out there. I slipped several times just going to the mail box.

well the post office is losing billions of dollars taking 3 days off from delivering mail (even if they are in specific areas, i hadn't seen a SINGLE mail truck anywhere). To think, they could be spending money on cheap chains to put on their tires and it wouldn't cost them nearly as much as they're losing :p

I ventured out of the house today for some tacos and human fellowship. That was pretty cool. Not sure if I'll get up to Roswell for work tomorrow.

Anyone have any intel on how 400NB looked today? Specifically up to the 7-8 range?

[quote name='El Gray']I ventured out of the house today for some tacos and human fellowship. That was pretty cool. Not sure if I'll get up to Roswell for work tomorrow.

Anyone have any intel on how 400NB looked today? Specifically up to the 7-8 range?[/QUOTE]

Pretty bad from what little I've heard so far.

My mail was delivered today but there was barely anything there. I went to the PO to mail some packages and heard one of the workers tell someone that they're still sorting everything and it will take another day or two to get everything distributed and delivered.

My mail was also delivered today for the first time since last Saturday, so I guess the old adage about the mail going through in rain, snow, or sleet does not apply in this case! At least I know they still bring my mail when it rains.

As for putting chains on tires; up in Michigan it was frowned upon to the point of being technically illegal in many areas, especially in the more populous areas of the lower peninsula. They really destroy paved roads and can also give drivers a false sense of invulnerability when it comes to traction.

From what I've heard many of the roads in the metro area are still in pretty rough shape. A good warm up should thaw things out in a day or two. Forcasters say we have one in store starting Friday afternoon.

[quote name='mitch079']Never had an inn n out burger but have heard great things. How's it compare to 5 Guys?[/QUOTE]I'm not super fond of five guys, but in & out burgers aren't so hot. It's all about the shakes. Seems like the burger was really similar to another chain. The burgers are more fast foodish than five guys.
[quote name='neocisco']Well, there's only a smattering of road equipment, barely enough to try to clear the interstates, certainly not enough to clear surface roads. People down here have no experience driving in these conditions so it's a very bad idea for people to be on the roads. Don't be surprised if the closings and cancellations last as long as Thursday.[/QUOTE]Atlanta city only has 8 trucks, the state either has 30 or 40 to use for state roads in the entire state and I'm sure most are allocated to metro state roads (most people affected) and upstate (more snowfall). Amen, on driver skill in winter weather. It's only fair due to lack of experience, but some of the stupidity is amazing. When I was 15 learning to drive I knew better than alot of what I've seen here in bad weather. A lot is common sense.
[quote name='Clown069']man i just want my stuff from fed ex and ups. isn't the mail back running tomorrow? then fed ex and ups is i hope.[/QUOTE]They've said they'll all be running thursday to a fuller capacity, but they won't go anywhere that looks bad to them.
[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Yep. Very rough drive home tonight though. Hardest drive I've ever had.[/QUOTE]Spoken like a true Georgia boy. In all seriousness, never been up north or out west in the winter?
[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Yeah, Neo. For sure. Except Monday. I really just wanted to go home and all of my co-workers were gone, so I was stuck in Vegas alone. Pretty boring when that's the case.[/QUOTE]You took advantage and scoured the Targets, Best Buys, TRUs for CAG deals right? Seems like people find all the penny guides in Vegas.
[quote name='El Gray']Anyone have any intel on how 400NB looked today? Specifically up to the 7-8 range?[/QUOTE]It's fairly bad, but not the worst. The worst are 20 on the westside, everywhere on 285 and 20 on the eastside. If you are take 400 don't take 285 to get there and think of your route. If there are big hills, especially ones that don't get sun or are at traffic lights where you may have to stop, avoid them unless you know those spots are clear. You obviously never want to stop on ice on a hill. I got behind some people today who did that and had to detour around. I could have made it fine, but sometimes it's thinking about others on the road, too. Forgot that mindset a little today since the last two days I was one of the very few on the road.
[quote name='chuckie88']My mail was also delivered today for the first time since last Saturday, so I guess the old adage about the mail going through in rain, snow, or sleet does not apply in this case! At least I know they still bring my mail when it rains.
As for putting chains on tires; up in Michigan it was frowned upon to the point of being technically illegal in many areas, especially in the more populous areas of the lower peninsula. They really destroy paved roads and can also give drivers a false sense of invulnerability when it comes to traction.
From what I've heard many of the roads in the metro area are still in pretty rough shape. A good warm up should thaw things out in a day or two. Forcasters say we have one in store starting Friday afternoon.[/QUOTE]Post office sux. Rain, sleet or snow, my ass. If they don't mean it they shouldn't say it. As for chains, they're really only meant for a thick ice pack since they damage roads like you mentioned. Would have been good Monday only really and like you said people get too confident with them. I always preferred none so I could really feel and hear the traction of the tires. I think it'll all be gone Sunday maybe Monday for the last bit. They really depend on help from sun and above freezing temps here and Friday will get some decent warmth and sunday night/monday should get some rain to wash the last bit away.

The new mayor said on the noon news that he thought atlanta city schools would be a go on thursday based on his view of road conditions. Less than three hours later atlanta city schools announced they'd be closed. Good call. They really dropped the ball on this one, especially after such an advanced warning and announcing they were all prepped and ready. Forsyth has already announced they'd be closed on friday. Alot probably will as the cost of opening up one day is prohibitive and a lot of side streets and back roads are still messy let alone only a couple of lanes are clear on most interstates. Atl city schools may try to force it as a small victory to save face in their own eyes.

Summer vacation (what little is now left of it) is going to suck for students and teachers. A few of my friends are teachers and they're pretty disappointed by all the closings. It was already going to be short, now it's even shorter.

@jdawgg: Funny enough, I was born and raised in California. Never the less, never lived in a snowy/cold area. Atlanta is as cold as it gets for me.

Didn't check out any game stores in Vegas. Didn't have a rental car, so I just walked the strip and such. Vegas is cool for a few days, but then gets a little long in the tooth after a while. It's kinda like a beat-em-up game: fun for a few levels but then gets repetitive and too much of the same after that.

[quote name='neocisco']Summer vacation (what little is now left of it) is going to suck for students and teachers. A few of my friends are teachers and they're pretty disappointed by all the closings. It was already going to be short, now it's even shorter.[/QUOTE]

I actually teach at an elementary school in College Park in Fulton and my wife teaches at one in Powder Springs/Austell in Cobb. Between the two of us and our combined friends and co-workers I feel as if we have a pulse on this kind of thing. I don't know anyone that is disappointed except for parents that have to spend another week with their kids or have to find supervision for them as they have a legitimate reason to leave their home. (You'd be surprised how many parents show up with their kids on teacher workdays asking if they can just leave them at the school! "...Well I don't wanna' have to sit around and watch them all day" was what I heard from a parent this year).:roll:

As for making up the missed days, most school calendars have some built in days for this kind of thing that don't have to be made up. I believe Cobb and Fulton each have 4 but I could be off by a day or two. Last year Fulton had a snow day and a day for the flood, Cobb had a snow day and two days off for the flood. None of those days were made up at the end of the year. Pay however is another matter, many employees may see these days issued as furlough days as a way for the schools to save some cash. Some people get upset over this but I've always felt that if money is your motivation you shouldn't be in public education.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people that would much rather be working just as there are in any job. Some people just like to be doing something productive and have a hard time doing nothing for too long. Personally, I've never that problem.;) We'll see about tomorrow but I can honestly say that one day in school sandwiched between 6 days off and 3 days off (MLK day) is a total waste of time. Getting anything done in the way of teaching and learning just won't happen. If they tack on a couple days at the end of the year I'm fine with it. I'd much rather they do that than take a chance with my students on the roads with all of the previously mentioned issues.

did anyone get packages from Fed Ex today? i mean i got one from Ups and my mail finally came but Fed Ex was still a no show....makes me mad because they updated it as out for delivery at 7am and then at 7pm updated with delayed due to external conditions.....this is Bs.

[quote name='Clown069']did anyone get packages from Fed Ex today? i mean i got one from Ups and my mail finally came but Fed Ex was still a no show....makes me mad because they updated it as out for delivery at 7am and then at 7pm updated with delayed due to external conditions.....this is Bs.[/QUOTE]
FWIW- I have late packages from both but got neither today. My mail ran for the first time this week today, but it was only packages and express items (per my delivery person). I got one air-mail pack from meritline and a neighbor got an express pack, but nothing else.

[quote name='Clown069']did anyone get packages from Fed Ex today? i mean i got one from Ups and my mail finally came but Fed Ex was still a no show....makes me mad because they updated it as out for delivery at 7am and then at 7pm updated with delayed due to external conditions.....this is Bs.[/QUOTE]

yeah i've got about a dozen packages that are supposed to be coming in from UPS and of course, all of them are stuck across the U.S...from VA to TN to WA...and they're all supposed to be delivered (or re-scheduled delivery) today..and if they don't, I won't be getting them til tues :whistle2:( (pretty sure no delivery service runs on MLK day)

Yeah, I got my UPS delivery today that was supposed to come on Tuesday. Got held up in Charlotte for a day or two and then again once it got to ATL. Mail has came since Wednesday I think.

I went out for the first time this week today, and was surprised how many places were still icy as hell even on major roads in the city. Still big ice patches on some parts of Peachtree St and Juniper/Courtland in shady spots. Side roads are still terrible most places.

[quote name='animemaniac14']yeah i've got about a dozen packages that are supposed to be coming in from UPS and of course, all of them are stuck across the U.S...from VA to TN to WA...and they're all supposed to be delivered (or re-scheduled delivery) today..and if they don't, I won't be getting them til tues :whistle2:( (pretty sure no delivery service runs on MLK day)[/QUOTE]

UPS will be delivering on Monday. I, uh, know a guy.

I spoke to a UPS guy delivering packages today at work. They're playing catch up, said it could take a week and a half before they are.

Random hard-to-find crap update: Spotted an MUA Gold Edition at GS in Stone Mountain yesterday ($29.99), as well as an Electroplankton without case or manual (don't know price).

[quote name='guinaevere']Just a warning. This week, there will be two CAG moderators in Atlanta. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:[/QUOTE]

im guessing IO is the other one :whistle2:D i know what he's in town for but what about you guinaevere? or do you two work together lol

It was nice to meet you Gwen.

We had a mini-mod conference. We'll be sending the dinner bill to Cheapy ;).

By the way, Gwen is surprisingly tall!

[quote name='jdawgg76']Hey, wait. How do we know your not just surprisingly short? Just sayin.[/QUOTE]

I'm 5'10". So I think I can reasonably consider any woman taller than me to be "tall" ;).

Hey fellow ATL CAGs, I was wondering, is anybody here going to PAX East? I can't make it, but I was wonderin if someone could pick up a early release game that could be at the merch section? Long shot I know, but thought it'd be worth a try. :)

[quote name='guinaevere']
It was fun! When you come back, you have to help me wrangle these Atlantians into having a meet up.[/QUOTE]

Will there be a minimum height requirement?

[quote name='guinaevere']My boots were made for tallness.

It was fun! When you come back, you have to help me wrangle these Atlantians into having a meet up.[/QUOTE]

Where'd y'all meet for dinner?

I'll most likely be back the week of Feb. 14th or the week after that if you guys want to plan anything this time. Don't know for sure yet though.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...rIo7Gz8kK2hAHsKcuUPoKqASDB8pUckt2HgYr6GD6MKo=
263.jpg

267.jpg

268.jpg

Hmmmm, a good waffle house story? How about the time me and several buddies went drinking and near the end of the night one guy was really nauseous and wanted to puke, but just couldn't. So everyone started saying and doing things really disgusting Jack-ass style to get him to throw up, but nothing worked. Then I suggested going to Waffle House and he threw it all up. They could put that story on a tablemat or something.

I was snowed in at my job and worked 17 hrs and then 8 hrs, and then I had breakfast at Waffle House. Grilled cheese, hash browns, and orange juice. It was the most delicious thing ever.

Anyway, I'd be down for an ATL CAG meet-up if I'm not working during that week. I'll keep an eye out to see when it will be.

[quote name='guinaevere']Hiram. But before my back problems, I came into the city at least three times a month for very important matters.

...like shopping.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I'm in Dallas... We (used?) to practically be neighbors. :cool:

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Hey fellow ATL CAGs, I was wondering, is anybody here going to PAX East? I can't make it, but I was wonderin if someone could pick up a early release game that could be at the merch section? Long shot I know, but thought it'd be worth a try. :)[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what game/games are getting an early release at PAX East?

[quote name='DrAndonuts']Out of curiosity, what game/games are getting an early release at PAX East?[/QUOTE]
Well, this is actually a card game. Not sure if any video games will be released early. It is Munchkin Zombies. :)

Couple of things of interest:

1) I hear the Blockbuster at Embry Hills is closing. That is somewhere around Chamblee Tucker and 285. Anyone checked it out lately? Any other BBs closing around town that anyone knows of?

2) Last night at Edgewood Target, they had 2x a super-fancy version of COD: Black Ops for 360. The game's in a steelcase, and it comes with an RC car and some other goodies. Marked down from $160 to about $128, I believe.

On a related note, does Blockbuster ever have sales on their Blu-rays like they do for their regular previously viewed DVDs? I've been a sucker for those 5 discs for 20 bucks offers, and now that I have a PS3 I'd love to pick up some cheap BDs.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Will there be a minimum height requirement?[/QUOTE]
No, but maybe a minimum drink requirement?

[quote name='El Gray']Where'd y'all meet for dinner?[/QUOTE]
California Pizza Kitchen.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...rIo7Gz8kK2hAHsKcuUPoKqASDB8pUckt2HgYr6GD6MKo=
263.jpg

267.jpg

268.jpg
[/QUOTE]
PERFECT!

Actually, i'm not much on breakfast...

[quote name='Mixer236']Hah, I'm in Dallas... We (used?) to practically be neighbors. :cool:[/QUOTE]
We still are.

[quote name='El Gray']2) Last night at Edgewood Target, they had 2x a super-fancy version of COD: Black Ops for 360. The game's in a steelcase, and it comes with an RC car and some other goodies. Marked down from $160 to about $128, I believe.[/QUOTE]
If that comes down, I really recommend that set. The game was okay obviously, but the reconn vehicle is possibly the best bonus ever. the video on the controller is very impressive.

Whatever the opposite of the Waffle House Regulars Club is, that's what I'm a member of.

*Waffle House-Free Since 1998*
(Except for That One Time When We Had to "Celebrate" Christmas with My Deadbeat Father-in-Law There Because It Was the Only Thing Open in Carrollton, Ga., on Christmas Day, and Even Then I Only Ordered a Shitty Cup of Coffee)

[quote name='El Gray']It has a CAMERA on the RC car? Dang, that's cool.[/QUOTE]Yeah, it's a reconnaissance vehicle, sort of like in the multi player. So you can actually just sit in one room and watch the video on the controller while the RC goes around the house. It's kinda cool not having to follow it around.

Some mornings my bro will be lying in his room, with his door open a bit to let it out, and he'll send it around trying to find me... usually it just winds up banging on my bedroom door as he'll drive it into the door, back up and drive it into the door again. The gentle hint of "Waaaake UP!!" :giggle: Or he'll be in one room and he'll send it into the kitchen to see what I'm making.

Obviously it works outdoors too, but so far we just use it in the house to pester each other. :lol:

And yes, I know this prolly sounds really pathetic to some of you, but we have found it to be entertaining.

[quote name='guinaevere']Yeah, it's a reconnaissance vehicle, sort of like in the multi player. So you can actually just sit in one room and watch the video on the controller while the RC goes around the house. It's kinda cool not having to follow it around.

Some mornings my bro will be lying in his room, with his door open a bit to let it out, and he'll send it around trying to find me... usually it just winds up banging on my bedroom door as he'll drive it into the door, back up and drive it into the door again. The gentle hint of "Waaaake UP!!" :giggle: Or he'll be in one room and he'll send it into the kitchen to see what I'm making.

Obviously it works outdoors too, but so far we just use it in the house to pester each other. :lol:

And yes, I know this prolly sounds really pathetic to some of you, but we have found it to be entertaining.[/QUOTE]

i want it just for the car, i could car less about Black Ops.

Anyone found any of those Tekken 6/fight stick bundles at a local BBuy? I hit Northpoint and Sidney Marcus tonight-- no luck at either. I'd like to find the PS3 version.

bread's done
Back