"Atlus Dissolved by Owners"

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
"Index Holdings has dissolved Atlus Games in order to streamline the company and turn its focus to “profitable core areas,” according to Gamasutra. Atlus will most likely complete the projects that are currently in progress, but the ultimate fate of the company is unknown for now."

http://www.platformnation.com/2010/...ampaign=Feed:+PlatformNation+(Platform+Nation)

also

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30174/Atlus_Dissolved_By_Parent_Company_Index_Holdings.php

(also posted in the general news forum)

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, so now who will publish my Demon's Souls 2 when/if it is made? :\[/QUOTE]

Sony.

Atlus never had a chance in publishing the second one anyways.

Abuh...?you know, this could be good. They should downsize and just start putting out games on PSN/XBL. It works for indie devs, why not a professional-going-indie dev?

Nothings going to happen. They are either going to go independant, become a publically traded company, or someone will buy them. In fact, they might come out better.

[quote name='Sycowulf']Screw demon souls, they damn well better keep publishing the Shin Megami Tensei series in the us![/QUOTE]

I agree Persona 5 please.

Super shitty news. If it weren't for ATLUS, we wouldn't have Demon's Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes :(

If somehow Atlus JPN manages to restructure with the blessings of the parent company and go on their own, you can bet that them and the US branch will be scaling back both publishing non-Atlus developed titles and their localization efforts by a large margin. Sad thing is that is what kept Atlus US profitable was localizing higher quality niche games that others wouldn't touch or couldn't get to since they always seemed to have first dibs on a lot of localization of certain games. (Now it seems Xseed and Ignition might have to pick up those wayward games... sigh)

Here's hoping Kaneko and other senior staff can work something out to keep things going, that's the danger of taking your company public, if somebody buys majority share and you can't buy that back if they sell it off, then you're pretty much screwed. Maybe Sony or Nintendo wants a new high quality RPG developer. (even though Nintendo already owns Monolithsoft)

Wow, I finally get a moment's peace and quite to chill, so I come onto CAG and find this terrible/sad/disheartening news. this sucks. I used to love the vast majority of Atlus titles. If it wasn't for them, I would have never played Disgaea. :(

[quote name='uncle5555']Maybe Sony or Nintendo wants a new high quality RPG developer. (even though Nintendo already owns Monolithsoft)[/QUOTE]

Lord I hope Sony would be the one to buy them, but it sounds to me like Atlus is not getting sold off, they're merging them into the parent company, and probably laying folks off.

[quote name='jh6269']Super shitty news. If it weren't for ATLUS, we wouldn't have Demon's Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes :([/QUOTE]
Wrong. If not for From Software(makers of the Armored Core games) we wouldn't have had the game itself.

Atlus was just the publisher in the U.S. Many of us had import copies before we bought or traded for a U.S. version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon%27s_Souls

I personally like Demon's Souls, it has a sort of challenge that most gamers are not used to today with frequent respawns with no consequences.

Wow, lots of ignorance in this thread. Im gonna quote the other thread that the op posted from here
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271648

[quote name='shosh']Atlus will still exist, the company, which is already owned by Index holding, will absorb the company.

They will still operate under Atlus and the Atlus name will still exist. The only difference is that you can't buy Atlus stock.[/quote]

[quote name='Allnatural']Yup, nothing to worry about. Eurogamer posted the story yesterday then quickly amended it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-31-jrpg-pub-atlus-in-muddy-waters[/QUOTE]
[quote name='shosh']yea i read this story awhile ago, knowing that atlus would still operate normally.

I wonder who was the idiot journalist that saw this yesterday as atlus ceasing to exist. they should be beaten with a wooden cane.[/quote]
now get it together people and quit spreading false info op

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wrong. If not for From Software(makers of the Armored Core games) we wouldn't have had the game itself.

Atlus was just the publisher in the U.S. Many of us had import copies before we bought or traded for a U.S. version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

I personally like Demon's Souls, it has a sort of challenge that most gamers are not used to today with frequent respawns with no consequences.[/QUOTE]

I meant w/o Atlus to localize it, we wouldn't have gotten a US version...

Actually the Asian version was pretty damn good from what I played of it when I had it. It had full voiceovers in English, menus/titles/subtitles in English, so really what did Atlus have to improve on besides removing the Chinese lettering on the package and including an English instruction manual?

I'm not trying to offend here, but really it seems like they printed up their own coverart with their logo on it after removing the Chinese characters from the import version, printed an English manual and that was about it.

Although they did also have the Deluxe version with the big guide in the package.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually the Asian version was pretty damn good from what I played of it when I had it. It had full voiceovers in English, menus/titles/subtitles in English, so really what did Atlus have to improve on besides removing the Chinese lettering on the package and including an English instruction manual?[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I thought that the Demon's Souls was all in Japanese...

[quote name='jh6269']Seriously? I thought that the Demon's Souls was all in Japanese...[/QUOTE]
The original version might have been, but the Asian import had Chinese/English. The front of the package was all in English while the back cover was mostly Chinese from what I remember. My copy I got from another CAG came with the manual, which was in Chinese, but it had an English 'cheat sheet' for the controls.

But yeah, the voiceovers, titles, subtitles and menus were all in English from what I remember.

[quote name='shosh']Wow, lots of ignorance in this thread. Im gonna quote the other thread that the op posted from here
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271648

now get it together people and quit spreading false info op[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the updated info, I was basing my comments off of the two links that were posted that basically said they were dissolved, so this is better than all operations ceasing at least.

[quote name='ninja dog']they changed a lot in the translation[/QUOTE]
Examples? I've played both up to the same point and I didn't notice a thing different.

bread's done
Back