Atlus/NIS PS2 RPG Reprints @ GQD (DDS1 $35; Nocturne & Disgaea2 $25)

Krymner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
EDIT 11/20: I guess GQD heard our complaints about the overpricing and have now lowered their prices on these games! Also, they now list the DDS as the "game only" reprint version and not the deluxe box set.

Didn't see these posted anywhere, but I was browsing GameQuestDirect and noticed that they are now taking pre-orders for several Atlus/NIS games with a 11/25 release date. I'm assuming these are all reprints.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga (GAME ONLY) $69.99 NOW $34.99
SMT: Nocturne $59.99 NOW $24.99
Disgaea 2 $54.99 NOW $24.99
Makai Kingdom $39.99 NOW $24.99

Any hope that we might get these on a CAG weekly GQD special, Cheapy??

Also, remember you can use coupon code CAG1SHIP for free shipping if you are ordering.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's interesting. they're actually reprinting the deluxe boxset for DDS1?
i wonder if it's the same way with Nocturne, since Nocturne is currently in stock new at amazon for $45?

Damn, I am in deep crap right now. I got a lot of Persona 3 that I bought at retail...
By the way, how can I get my personal picture to show up in my posts? I uploaded it a few days back but I hasn't showed up.

[quote name='Capt Dirty Jack']that's interesting. they're actually reprinting the deluxe boxset for DDS1?
i wonder if it's the same way with Nocturne, since Nocturne is currently in stock new at amazon for $45?[/quote]

Wasn't the previous Nocturne reprint missing the soundtrack disc from the original release?

[quote name='kazunori']Wasn't the previous Nocturne reprint missing the soundtrack disc from the original release?[/quote]
Yes, the current printing of Nocturne is game only, no extra disc.

[quote name='kazunori']Wasn't the previous Nocturne reprint missing the soundtrack disc from the original release?[/quote]

It was, yeah. I actually bought one, and it's a single disc case, unlike the original. Just to somewhat brag, I luckily found one at a GameStop that someone had traded in with the soundtrack CD, so huzzah.

That's a steep price though just for DDS1.

Edit: Also, went looking on Google for DDS and found these sites. Unsure how trustworthy they are, but the price is about half of what the OP has.

http://www.priceground.com/150-37522.html

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=6747921&style=games&frm=froogleother

[quote name='Nirron']That's a steep price though just for DDS1.[/quote]

Yeah that was my first thought too, but that's about as much as the current used copies of it are fetching on eBay, so if this reprint cannot be differentiated from the initial release (i.e. it includes the box and bonus soundtrack), that's a pretty good deal for a new one.

Was there a special version of DDS2 or was it just standard? Cause if it was just the regular copy I might get the box and then a regular copy of DDS2 if that works. I can't remember what was included with these when they first came out any more.

My guess would be it's both dds 1/2 with the outer box. No extras such as soundtracks, or the controller sticker.

A decent deal. I would like to see Atlus release a megacollection of it's backlist, but give it a highend treatment similar to what criterion does.

As always, reprints are great for gamers, very bad for speculators and frustrating to collectors.

[quote name='ReaperZER0']Was there a special version of DDS2 or was it just standard? Cause if it was just the regular copy I might get the box and then a regular copy of DDS2 if that works. I can't remember what was included with these when they first came out any more.[/quote]

DDS2 was only a standard version release.

The original DDS1 deluxe box came with the outer box, the normal game case (with manual and game disc), soundtrack disc and a placeholder cardboard for the DDS2 case.

I am also seeing used copies at Game Stops quite frequently... I think the PS2 market is getting sort of 'soft' - people are dumping PS2 games like crazy.

DDS Deluxe Box is DDS1 only. That's how it was at the original retail release. This is weird though, DDS1 has been reprinted a couple times, but DDS2 hasn't at all.

anyway, Nocturne, DDS1+2 are my favorite RPGs from last gen, by far. I have held on to these just in case I happen to check ebay down the line and see them going for $100+, but it doesn't seem like that'll ever happen. There don't seem to be as many rare expensive games as there used to be for the PS2.

[quote name='vherub']My guess would be it's both dds 1/2 with the outer box. No extras such as soundtracks, or the controller sticker.[/quote]
I can't imagine it includes both games. Look at the prices for Nocturne and Disgaea 2, both higher than the original MSRP. There's no way they'd be selling two other $50 games, plus extras, for $35 each.

Since PS2s are still being sold, I would say people should hold onto their sealed copies from before. Once PS2 support is gone, prices should rise back up as a couple years go by.

That's cool that the games are getting reprints. The more people that get to enjoy such awesome games, the better.

yes, it was, and i'm aware of that... that's why i'm wondering if this GQD run is a fancy DELUXE REPRINT because it's $60, and the bonus-lacking reprint from the past run is still available at $45 new on amazon.

gamequestdirect does tend to have terrible prices though, this is probably just another example

[quote name='Capt Dirty Jack']yes, it was, and i'm aware of that... that's why i'm wondering if this GQD run is a fancy DELUXE REPRINT because it's $60, and the bonus-lacking reprint from the past run is still available at $45 new on amazon.

gamequestdirect does tend to have terrible prices though, this is probably just another example[/quote]

I was kinda assuming this was a different reprint run based on the fact it won't be out till later this month, while the current Nocturne reprints have been around since middle of the year or so.

This is BS. They reprint the games? That's fine. But they're giving people the extras too? And how nice of them to gouge the price.:roll:

[quote name='kazunori']I was kinda assuming this was a different reprint run based on the fact it won't be out till later this month, while the current Nocturne reprints have been around since middle of the year or so.[/quote]

i am not saying it's the same run
i am saying the same game, brand new and sealed, is still available for $45 new direct from amazon... so why are they gouging the price by an additional $15 for this run?

[quote name='Capt Dirty Jack']i am not saying it's the same run
i am saying the same game, brand new and sealed, is still available for $45 new direct from amazon... so why are they gouging the price by an additional $15 for this run?[/quote]

Maybe this new Nocturne reprint is the "complete" version (i.e. has the soundtrack like the original print)?

Reprinting the games is pointless if they are going to charge that much. It might actually cause the prices to go up on Disgaea 2 and Makai Kingdom.

[quote name='kazunori']Maybe this new Nocturne reprint is the "complete" version (i.e. has the soundtrack like the original print)?[/quote]

YOU ARE BLOWING MY MIND

The original DDS1 deluxe box set came only with the first game, a soundtrack CD, a special insert for DDS2, and the outer box which had space for the 2nd game. DDS2 was not included.

[quote name='Capt Dirty Jack']YOU ARE BLOWING MY MIND[/quote]

Wow, you must have a very limited mind then.

Seriously dude, I have no idea what's up with you. I was merely responding to your repeated replies, and we're just going around in circles.

You were wondering if the reprints would be the same as the ones offered on Amazon, and I implied they might or might not be, depending on whether the soundtrack was included.
You said you knew of such a difference in the initial reprint, fine, then why are you questioning the extra $15 on the Amazon price? Did it not occur to you this might have been a full reprinting with the soundtrack included, and hence GQD felt it "justified" to charge the extra $15? That was the point I was making, and you obviously knew that yourself before I said it anyway, so I don't know why you kept going on.

Amazon had Nocturne for $60 for a few weeks as well. Though the DDS1 reprints had no Soundtrack and this reprint does. Definitely could go either way.

In any case, fuck them

I'm really hoping that GQD will do a special sale like they did with the Fatal Frame reprints. Getting the DDS boxed set for about $40 would be great.

[quote name='Camwi']That's cool that the games are getting reprints. The more people that get to enjoy such awesome games, the better.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for Makai Kingdom, but the rest are some of the PS2's best. Nocturne is probably the best RPG on the system IMO. Worth $60 without question.

[quote name='kazunori']Wow, you must have a very limited mind then.

Seriously dude, I have no idea what's up with you. I was merely responding to your repeated replies, and we're just going around in circles.

You were wondering if the reprints would be the same as the ones offered on Amazon, and I implied they might or might not be, depending on whether the soundtrack was included.
You said you knew of such a difference in the initial reprint, fine, then why are you questioning the extra $15 on the Amazon price? Did it not occur to you this might have been a full reprinting with the soundtrack included, and hence GQD felt it "justified" to charge the extra $15? That was the point I was making, and you obviously knew that yourself before I said it anyway, so I don't know why you kept going on.[/quote]

don't make me out to be the idiot here
the first thing i said is "they're reprinting the deluxe DDS, i wonder if it's the same deal with nocturne, since the cost is $15 higher?"
i was under the impression that you didn't understand what i was trying to communicate, because your posts do nothing to indicate otherwise

[quote name='Capt Dirty Jack']don't make me out to be the idiot here
the first thing i said is "they're reprinting the deluxe DDS, i wonder if it's the same deal with nocturne, since the cost is $15 higher?"
i was under the impression that you didn't understand what i was trying to communicate, because your posts do nothing to indicate otherwise[/quote]

Geez, my reply to that first post of yours was that the Amazon one lacked the soundtrack disc, and was implying that this reprint might have it, hence the extra $15. I didn't explicitly state that later part, but obviously (from later posts) the thought had already crossed both our minds.

Ah hell, let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that ok?

[quote name='ninja dog']DDS Deluxe Box is DDS1 only. That's how it was at the original retail release. This is weird though, DDS1 has been reprinted a couple times, but DDS2 hasn't at all.

anyway, Nocturne, DDS1+2 are my favorite RPGs from last gen, by far. I have held on to these just in case I happen to check ebay down the line and see them going for $100+, but it doesn't seem like that'll ever happen. There don't seem to be as many rare expensive games as there used to be for the PS2.[/quote]

I want to correct something here.

DDS 1 has been reprinted a few times like you said, I think once was a few years back and the other time happened earlier this year at around April/May. This year's reprint had the budget DVD case.

DDS 2 was also reprinted at approximately the same time this year. I saw a copy at GameStop with the budget case. I don't think GameStop changed it on purpose, so I believe it might have come from Atlus that way. However, for DDS 2, the reprint is more discreet. And surprisingly, if you check eBay, DDS 2's value has been creeping up in value ever since DDS 1's reprint this year. It's getting harder to catch. The used copy at GameStop costs $24 each I believe. The new one is still stuck at $20, strange but true.

[quote name='dragilores']I want to correct something here.

DDS 1 has been reprinted a few times like you said, I think once was a few years back and the other time happened earlier this year at around April/May. This year's reprint had the budget DVD case.

DDS 2 was also reprinted at approximately the same time this year. I saw a copy at GameStop with the budget case. I don't think GameStop changed it on purpose, so I believe it might have come from Atlus that way. However, for DDS 2, the reprint is more discreet. And surprisingly, if you check eBay, DDS 2's value has been creeping up in value ever since DDS 1's reprint this year. It's getting harder to catch. The used copy at GameStop costs $24 each I believe. The new one is still stuck at $20, strange but true.[/QUOTE]

Except that Atlus has a partnership with amazon so any reprint would be there as well. Sounds more like someone just switch the case.

[quote name='Nirron']It was, yeah. I actually bought one, and it's a single disc case, unlike the original. Just to somewhat brag, I luckily found one at a GameStop that someone had traded in with the soundtrack CD, so huzzah.

That's a steep price though just for DDS1.

Edit: Also, went looking on Google for DDS and found these sites. Unsure how trustworthy they are, but the price is about half of what the OP has.

http://www.priceground.com/150-37522.html

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=6747921&style=games&frm=froogleother[/QUOTE]

CD Universe is a very trustful site in my opinion. If this is the exact same product that GQD is selling, then you're saving over $30 by ordering from CD Universe.

Special Delux Box Set features -- Collector's Art Box for Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, full color 40 page manual, and official soundtrack CD featuring 30 tracks from the game (*available only in limited release)

-i'd be pissed if CD universe didn't include a box

bread's done
Back