Atlus - The Dark Spire for the DS - it's OUT! (IGN 8.0, GI 7.0)

Etrian Odyssey clone (1st person RPG), more western looking.

You can choose to display the world in EO grade 3D or wireframe! Incredible!
Enemy sprites also change to 8 bit style!

2w7ikup.jpg
29ymahk.jpg

25qb3vt.jpg
apbsx.jpg

2rypqtz.jpg
dvkg1w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']You can choose to display the world in EO grade 3D or wireframe! Incredible!

Enemy sprites also change to 8 bit style![/QUOTE]

i just noticed that! "modern" and "classic" modes. very cool :applause:

That looks interesting. I don't know if I could ever stand an entire game like this (the closest I've come is probably Might and Magic VII, which was after the series had moved to 3D and real-time gameplay).

It is on the DS, though, so hopefully it will be easier to play in short bursts. That's something I could probably handle.

Without Etrian Odyssey 3 this has to do. Did Atlus team make this without the lead for ET (he left Atlus) or is this by some other Japanese developer?

will definately buy once this hits $20... that magic number where all Atlus titles go to in about 2-3 months after release.

Two soundtracks for the price of one.

For some reason I find this geeky awesome. To go along with the dual-nature of the game's graphics, the soundtrack will offer two flavors. The first is what the DS actually creates, but the second is more retro and chiptune based (sounds a lot like the NES, actually).

You can even check out samples at this site.

What a fun idea.

My god this looks like D&D but on the DS. The DS's graphics look sick but the 8 bit classic mode with the flavor text is to die for.

Nerdgasims, lol :lol:.

...and it looks like I will get yet further behind in my DS backlog once this comes out ;).

[quote name='io']...and it looks like I will get yet further behind in my DS backlog once this comes out ;).[/QUOTE]

It's so true :(

I never did oldskool PC gaming back in the day, so I missed out on all the token FP RPG games. This one sounds great in a throwback sort of way, but also incredibly brutal. Plus I don't get the feeling that there's a lot of the fancier layers that a modern RPG has, in terms of overbearing story, annoying dialogue, etc. It basically looks like a "here's a dungeon, go get teh lewt."

Still though, I have to give mad props for the amazing art styles, both the retro flat and the 8bit. That tickles me in a way that I usually have to pay money for.

This and Retro Game Challenge have me pretty hyped up for the DS this year. But I still have to catch up with so many of 2008's releases...:whistle2:/

[quote name='Strell']I never did oldskool PC gaming back in the day, so I missed out on all the token FP RPG games.[/QUOTE]

Too busy playing that PoS excuse for a game system NES, eh?

Seriously, though, I had an NES but much preferred PC gaming back then. There's a lot of love on CAG for those retro NES remakes that mean nothing to me, but this game seems right up my alley. I still remember the old Might & Magic dungeon crawlers I played on my original model Mac ;).

[quote name='io']Too busy playing that PoS excuse for a game system NES, eh?
[/QUOTE]

We can't all currently be old enough to demand kids to get off our lawns, iold. :] Even if we whack 'em with shovels and nets.

[quote name='io']Too busy playing that PoS excuse for a game system NES, eh?[/QUOTE]

The first and second Wizardry games were actually ported to the NES! ;)

Atlus announced via email that the release date's being pushed back to April 14th.
And honestly that's fine with me, got a lot of shit to catch up on.

I tried to preorder this at GS and they said it wasn't in their system. WTF? I definitely want to do that as I'll want a nice sealed copy instead of the 1 gutted one they are likely to have the day it comes out.

[quote name='io']I tried to preorder this at GS and they said it wasn't in their system. WTF? I definitely want to do that as I'll want a nice sealed copy instead of the 1 gutted one they are likely to have the day it comes out.[/quote]

it may be better to hold off actually. atlus has a partnership with Amazon AND Gamestop so it's possible that one of them or both will have preorder bonuses. my guess is that it'll be Amazon since they've been getting most of the love. also Amazon has the lowest price guarantee so no matter when you preorder you get the lowest price it drops to before release

[quote name='wildnuts02']it may be better to hold off actually. atlus has a partnership with Amazon AND Gamestop so it's possible that one of them or both will have preorder bonuses. my guess is that it'll be Amazon since they've been getting most of the love. also Amazon has the lowest price guarantee so no matter when you preorder you get the lowest price it drops to before release[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I has the credits at GS ;). I was actually trying to switch a preorder from Legacy of Y's which I didn't really want - was trying to get something I wanted with that preorder instead of cancelling it on the poor clerk. So I switched it to Blue Dragon Plus for the time being. I'll just keep rolling it over until there's something I actually want to buy at full MSRP - this game would have been a good one as it will probably be relatively hard to find and I'd want a nice copy anyway (not gutted).

Actually, I have a small amount of gift card credit at Amazon too, so that would be OK if they had a kick-ass preorder item. Would much rather spend my GS credit than my precious Amazon credit though. We'll see I guess.

the game -- along with several other atlus titles -- was delayed to april 14th.

have i mentioned how frickin' awesome this game's soundtrack is? wow!

Atlus just officially announced the soundtrack. Looks like it's all launch copies as well so you shouldn't have to preorder it.

"[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Now, folks who pick up a launch copy will get the games soundtrack as an added bonus, free of charge. And this is a rather awesome soundtrack, Faithful. Haunting, moody, brooding... These are all adjectives. And they have something in common with each other because they all apply to this game's great musical score.
The game's two modes--contemporary and retro--actually have music and sounds appropriate for the aesthetic, and the soundtrack CD features both kinds of music. 24 tracks, to be precise."
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[quote name='botticus']And the soundtrack samples are pretty bitchin'.[/quote]

Yeah i was surprised by how good it is.

[quote name='fnord']Atlus just officially announced the soundtrack. Looks like it's all launch copies as well so you shouldn't have to preorder it.

"[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Now, folks who pick up a launch copy will get the games soundtrack as an added bonus, free of charge. And this is a rather awesome soundtrack, Faithful. Haunting, moody, brooding... These are all adjectives. And they have something in common with each other because they all apply to this game's great musical score.
The game's two modes--contemporary and retro--actually have music and sounds appropriate for the aesthetic, and the soundtrack CD features both kinds of music. 24 tracks, to be precise."
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/quote]

i saw that. i think i'm definitely picking this up day 1 now esp. since it will launch at the $30 price

I just got a $25 gift certificate from Atlus so I guess I'll be getting this game for $5. Hell yeah!:bouncy:

I'm really glad this game is only $30 retail... versus $40 like some of their more recent DS release (Luminous Arc 2, Ys I & II).

Amazon still doesn't mention the soundtrack CD. I would've thought by now they would be mentioning it. Either way, I think their $27.99 price for the game/CD will be enough for me to preorder :)

Anyone picking this up this week?

Are there any bestbuy employees here that know if BB is going to carry it?
It's still not on the website, and as it's a niche title who knows if it will be carried.

$28 from Amazon seems like a good price. I think I'll wait for some reviews just in case before getting this. I really loved Etrian Odyssey 2.

I waited too long to pre-order (I was waiting for one really positive review and IGN gave it an 8.0 so now I'm ready to buy) and now the game is out, but the bonus soundtrack isn't showing up at the online stores anymore except at Gamestop. Did I miss my chance for the bonus? If I buy it from Buy.com for $28 or Amazon for $30 will it come with the soundtrack?

[quote name='boyward']I waited too long to pre-order (I was waiting for one really positive review and IGN gave it an 8.0 so now I'm ready to buy) and now the game is out, but the bonus soundtrack isn't showing up at the online stores anymore except at Gamestop. Did I miss my chance for the bonus? If I buy it from Buy.com for $28 or Amazon for $30 will it come with the soundtrack?[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, Amazon never mentioned the bonus soundtrack, and I never preordered from them.

I got this a couple days ago. I'm 2 hours into it and goddamn if they didn't make me feel like I was playing Wizardry again.

It's tough. I already lost my initial thief to a vicious trap. I probably should've resurrected him but instead I just made a new one.

[quote name='boyward']I waited too long to pre-order (I was waiting for one really positive review and IGN gave it an 8.0 so now I'm ready to buy) and now the game is out, but the bonus soundtrack isn't showing up at the online stores anymore except at Gamestop. Did I miss my chance for the bonus? If I buy it from Buy.com for $28 or Amazon for $30 will it come with the soundtrack?[/QUOTE]

It's not really a preorder bonus, it comes with every copy of the game. You will get the soundtrack. As a comparison Legacy of Ys was the exact same set up, with the bonus CD, and it came out a while ago and I never heard of anyone not getting the CD with it.

[quote name='rainking187']It's not really a preorder bonus, it comes with every copy of the game. You will get the soundtrack. As a comparison Legacy of Ys was the exact same set up, with the bonus CD, and it came out a while ago and I never heard of anyone not getting the CD with it.[/QUOTE]

I think there is some confusion since the other DS games that included the CD (Y's, Luminous Arc 2) had an MSRP of $34.99 while this one has an MSRP of $29.99.

[quote name='Halo05']I ventured into the basement yesterday. I had to limp my ass back to town. This game doesn't fuck around.[/QUOTE]

one thing that really sucks about this game... was on floor 1 and probally spent 3o to 40 mins leveling up when i ran into a Riddle.... Got the answer wrong and the game throws youinto the basement with no chance of escape...

you lose all of the work you put into the game.... Sorry but that is just going to piss off too many people

Good game but some stupid things (like the riddle traps) just #$##$# it up to much to want to keep playing

bread's done
Back