Attack on crowd at Denver Dark Knight Rises midnight showing

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
EDIT 2 - Here's a more recent article from CNN. The original post follows the first quote block.

(CNN) -- At least 14 people were killed and 50 wounded when a gunman opened fire during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

The heavily armed suspect, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, was apprehended by police in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN. The suspect was not immediately identified, though Fania said he was believed to be in his early 20s.

"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said.

Oates said there was no evidence of a second gunman.

Chaos broke out during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater when the shooting began, police and witnesses said.

"We saw people running around and screaming," a man, who was not identified, told CNN affiliate KUSA. He said there was confusion in the theater when the shooting began because many believed the sound of gunfire was coming from the movie. Oates said that the suspect used some sort of "smoke device" before opening fire in the theater.

Witnesses told KUSA that the gunman kicked in an emergency exit door and threw a smoke bomb into the darkened theater before opening fire.
One movie-goer, who was not identified, told KUSA the gunman was wearing a gas mask when he released a smoke bomb and then began moving through the theater, randomly shooting at people.

Cell phone video taken by someone at the theater showed scores of people screaming and fleeing the building. Some had blood on their clothes.

One police officer carried a girl believed to be about 9 with gunshot wound to her back out of the theater, a witness said. "She wasn't moving."
Authorities have also evacuated the suspect's Aurora apartment building after "he made a statement about explosives" in his unit, Oates said.

Of the wounded, at least 20 were being treated at the University of Colorado Hospital, said spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery. All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, she said.

"They're arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.

Ten people were killed in the theater and another four died at area hospitals, Oates said.

Hundreds of police officers descended on the theater, and the FBI has joined the investigation.

"We were calling for help from every police and fire agency," Fania said.

ORIGINAL POST

This sounds almost too cartoony to be real. Jesus. This is pretty scary.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...r-premiere-of-dark-knight-rises-16187436.html

Colorado officials have confirmed that 10 people, including children, have been killed at the premiere of Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises in the suburbs of Denver.

Local reporter Justin Jones said the gunmen were wearing body armour and gas masks.

"One of the attackers shot a baby at point blank range," he said.

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA Radio, said the victims were shot dead but there may have also been an explosion. It is reported that many of the victims are children.

She said police are looking for a second explosive device at the Centruy 16 movie theatre in Aurora Mall.

One suspect has been detained.

As many as 50 people are believed to have been injured in the attack.

Ms Stuart said: "The shooting started during the midnight showing at the theatre. Many people thought it was part of the movie before panic set in.

"Police are taking people to hospital in their own cars, not waiting for ambulances to arrive. There were chaotic scenes as people desperately tried to flee.""

Fox News is reporting that two people were involved in the attack . They set off tear gas, possibly in two separate theatres.

The FBI are on the scene to co-ordinate the hunt for the second man. But their efforts are being hampered by fears that a bomb may have been planted in the movie theatre parking lot.

The movie complex was sold out for the screening.

The preview trailers had just finished when a gas canister exploded, according to witnesses. It is believed the gunmen opened fire as people began to flee the theatres.

CNN's version is a little less insane but still really bad:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

At least 20 people were wounded in a shooting early Friday morning at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, an area hospital official told CNN.
All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, said Jacque Montgomery, a spokeswoman at the University of Colorado Hospital.
"They're arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.
Police were responding to a "shooting incident" at the theater, a dispatcher told CNN. The dispatcher did not provide any additional details.
The shooting incident reportedly occurred during an early morning screening of the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises," witnesses told CNN affiliate KUSA.
"We saw people running around and screaming," a man, who was not identified, told KUSA.
He said there was confusion in the theater when the shooting began because many believed the sound of gunfire was coming from the movie next door.

And I'm putting the crappy "where was Batman" joke here, so don't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']Sort of off topic, but
taking your baby to a midnight showing? Come on people.
[/QUOTE]

That's kind of what I meant by almost sounding too cartoony to be real. Guy in body armor and a gas mask shoots a baby at a mall at a midnight movie. God damn.

Someone reported that this guy waited until there was gunshots in the movie, then we stormed the theater, threw some smoke bombs, and ran to the back of the theater and started shooting. According to this report, it took people a couple seconds to figure out what was going on, not sure if it was special effects or something.

Soooo tragic. )-:

Jesus! And I just left a midnight showing too. So scary and sad to hear this took place. I was hoping OP's first link was a possible hoax until I saw the CNN link.

what they need to do is take this stupid son of a bitch is

1. take him out of the police station
2.. find the biggest tree that there is in town
3.. hang his mother fucking ass today

or better yet

find 4 horse and tie him to them and then let all 4 horses go

or

or put him against a wall and blow his fucking head off with a shotgun then maybe we would not have this shit..

BUT No the media will say the movie made him do it and he is a VICTIM and we should feel sorry for this person and he will never get a day in prison. probally will even play the race card

on CNN or some other STUPID fucking station are ALREADY TRYING TO MAKE THE SHOOTER SEEM LIKE THE VICTIM

That wiki line about Bane shooting people in movie theaters was undone on the wiki page so I'm assuming it was someone just fucking around. I don't follow comics enough to know for sure, maybe someone else does.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That wiki line about Bane shooting people in movie theaters was undone on the wiki page so I'm assuming it was someone just fucking around. I don't follow comics enough to know for sure, maybe someone else does.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as someone who does follow the comics, can't say I ever recall that being the case. Someone's idea of a sick joke.

good morning america already trying to play the TEA PARTY CARD

said a person name JIM HOLMES joined the tea party last year

(name of shooter is JAMES HOLMES )

If its not the same person i hope Jim sues the fuck out of Good morning america and i hope they fire the stupid sob reported for trying to make this a issue when there are people dead but they are already trying to say ITS A MEMBER OF THE TEA PARTY

The baby being brought to a midnight screening of a movie isn't too surprising because Aurora is a bit more shabby place to live in. Eitherway my friend texted me while I was watching it at the 3:30AM screening to see if I was at THAT theater (I wasn't) and had no idea what was going on until I left the theater and everyone there was kinda a buzz going on.

Jesus what the hell

Also I love how many people are saying. " we'll, this is why we need more guns. If u was there I would have pulled out my pistol and shy him before he shot people"

Why is it that owning a gun gives you magical crime fighting super powers all the time.

I'm speechless really... All I can think about are those people who were just going to see a movie. And now...

I don't even know what to say.

Saw the movie in a theater here in MD and didn't hear about the shooting until this morning via CAG.

I'm not even going to get into a gun control debate (that's for the VS. thread), but this is a horrific incident. A truly sad day.

Holy fuck. Well, I was going to see it first showing at 10:30 this morning since I worked all night but this news kind of puts a damper on my enthusiasm for viewing the movie now.

Yes, the gunman chose a place he knew would be crowded and it just happened to be the Dark Knight Rises midnight opening, but this still puts a damper on the film.

They've identified the assailant already
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/20/shooting-rampage-at-dark-knight-showing-in-colo-10-dead/.

On the radio I just heard a news report saying that 50 people were shot.

...I wonder when the police are going to report whether or not the guy really had explosives at his apartment.

A chick here from San Antonio started crying because she got shot in the leg and then the dude shot her in the face when he heard her crying at this premier. D=

Oh damn that was Jessica who was from San Antonio and got shot in the face because the gunman heard her crying.
brutal.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Again, how does a 24(22?) year old kid get access to AK-47s and multiple pistols.[/QUOTE]

and the cop gear i mean its not like you can walk into walmart and buy a bullet proof vest and someone said armor piercing bullets

dude does not even need to go to court they should hang his ass today. who the fuck cares he was never in trouble with the police before this ...

kill the mother fucker and anyone who repeats this

and about those who said... well if i had a gun i would shot them... Most of the people did not even have a clue what was going on and good luck getting a head shot (only way you was going to take them down) without hittiing anyone else

MSNBC is running tweets and didnt bleep out fucking horrific.....dont know why that is news but I didnt know you could put the word fucking uncensored on live tv.

Not much to add in the info department, nothing new as really came out.

[quote name='GUNNM']Oh damn that was Jessica who was from San Antonio and got shot in the face because the gunman heard her crying.
brutal.[/QUOTE]
My friend posted a link about someone from SA being shot. Her name was Jessica too, but had a different last name. I'm gonna assume it's the same person? Either way, it really sucks. I do wish the best for her and everyone's family who was affected.

[quote name='slidecage']and the cop gear i mean its not like you can walk into walmart and buy a bullet proof vest and someone said armor piercing bullets
[/QUOTE]
In this day and age, getting these things is a lot easier then you think which is pretty sad. And do I want this person to punish? Of course. I seen many people suggesting hanging and I would rather them do something different than that.

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']My friend posted a link about someone from SA being shot. Her name was Jessica too, but had a different last name. I'm gonna assume it's the same person? Either way, it really sucks. I do wish the best for her and everyone's family who was affected.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah its the same chick. A friend of hers on twitter posted the link her last name was Ghawi but on twitter redfield. Her twitter went from 3.5k to 4.2k don't know why people are following her now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7sIiqq66rk
best video of the evacuation I've seen

[quote name='Soodmeg']Does anyone know if the medical bills of the people injured are covered in some way?[/QUOTE]
ObamaCare has this covered don't worry.

Okay, are [some] of you guys really advocating a hanging? Let's all calm the hell down for a minute and let justice take place.

I know we're all running high on emotions here, but that's no reason to turn into a pack of bloodthirsty asshats.

Why would anyone target batman fans/geeks?

I just hope there are no copycats.

I wonder if the producers of TDKR are thinking: "omg, how horrible" or "omg, we'll never take down Avengers with this bad press."

Also, this is a thread about a shooting, do you really have to fucking introduce a debate about Obamacare into it? Seriously? Take that shit to the vs forum.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Again, how does a 24(22?) year old kid get access to AK-47s and multiple pistols.[/QUOTE]

I don't know the laws in that state, but it's not hard to legally purchase a semi-automatic rifle.

With some filled out paperwork, a background check and a wad of cash you can walk out of a registered gun retailers shop with a semi AK and pistol. There is a age limit as well, being over 18 is standard.

In Ga, you can buy a used firearm from a random stranger without the paperwork and background checks. So i don't know if that is the same as Co. Or he could have stolen them.

My questions would be. Who brings a baby to a movie? And how come nobody noticed a fully tactically dressed dude walking into a theater?

[quote name='ppself']

My questions would be. Who brings a baby to a movie? And how come nobody noticed a fully tactically dressed dude walking into a theater?[/QUOTE]

Maybe cause it was a midnight screening. "Nice costume dude!"

---

Bringing a baby to a midnight show deserves a good slap to the head though.

[quote name='ppself']And how come nobody noticed a fully tactically dressed dude walking into a theater?[/QUOTE]

It's entirely possible you could mistake someone dressed like that for someone cosplaying. I've never been to a midnight premiere where there weren't at least a few people dressed up. Plus, it's dark in a theater and your attention is on the screen, I doubt most people would have noticed him at all until he started.

In many ways, a movie is the perfect target for someone who has it in their minds to do something senseless like this.

bread's done
Back