Attending E3 for the very first time and I have some questions

newtype06

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Regarding the 3 big press conferences/keynotes (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo), I'm aware that they are invite-only. Is it possible to get an invite at this time or even at the day I show up at the registration? I've been trying to research like who to contact and so on, but no luck. My credentials and everything (as press) have been approved by the official E3 website (e3expo.com) since January 2011 and, pretty much, I'm good to go. It would be really nice to be at those conferences, live and all.

No. Youll need a pass to get into them just to start with. If you have a events only pass then you wont get in. They are usually reserved for journalists and so on that are above the show/events pass.

Ive been to the e3 3 times. Twice in atlanta and once in LA and trust me, you wont need to see the conferences because you will be busy the entire time. By the end of the 3rd day I was still finding boothes I hadnt noticed before.

Thing is I'm a journalist as well and I'm getting zero responses from the emails I sent (except Microsoft which was politely a "invites only").

Is there be a lounge area in the expo site though where I can watch the live conferences? I mean, besides using a laptop/wifi of course.

[quote name='newtype06']Thing is I'm a journalist as well and I'm getting zero responses from the emails I sent (except Microsoft which was politely a "invites only").

Is there be a lounge area in the expo site though where I can watch the live conferences? I mean, besides using a laptop/wifi of course.[/QUOTE]

Check the conference times and check the expo times. You will notice that they don't overlap this year. Last year Sony streamed their conference into their floor space for everyone to see, but they obviously won't be doing that again this year.

[quote name='newtype06']Thing is I'm a journalist as well and I'm getting zero responses from the emails I sent (except Microsoft which was politely a "invites only").

Is there be a lounge area in the expo site though where I can watch the live conferences? I mean, besides using a laptop/wifi of course.[/QUOTE]

Journalist for who?

I've been to the Sony conference in the past and being there in person didn't seem like that big a deal. There was booze and food but it was int he middle of the day like 3 pm and most folks showed up then left. Being on the show floor is more fun anyway since you get to play games and meet people while waiting in lines.

The events are invite only because like MS did last year they often give stuff away.

[quote name='newtype06']A magazine overseas called KZone.[/QUOTE]

When you get to the show youll have to pickup your badge so you can ask someone there (if they still do it that way Im not sure) and see what they have to say.

Not trying to offend you though but I doubt youd get in from a overseas publication that isnt a big name. They probablly reserve it for well, bigger named publications and such.

Just hit the floor and have fun, you can always watch the confernce. I think game trailers usually has it the day after it happens.

Well I'll be fine if there's an area in the event itself where I can watch all the 3 conferences live.

Is there anything else I need to know (a few tips maybe) since this is going to be my first time? The floor plan's been revealed recently and it's daunting and, not to mention, huge.

[quote name='gargus']When you get to the show youll have to pickup your badge so you can ask someone there (if they still do it that way Im not sure) and see what they have to say.

Not trying to offend you though but I doubt youd get in from a overseas publication that isnt a big name. They probablly reserve it for well, bigger named publications and such.

Just hit the floor and have fun, you can always watch the confernce. I think game trailers usually has it the day after it happens.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're very picky on who they give in an invite to. My ex gf was a PR person for a gaming website and pretty much established her contact from the big 3 years in advance so she got to go every year until she left the business. You have to realize a lot of the journalists have been going for years. This my 8th year going to E3. Last year, there were a lot of establish journalists that didn't get into the Xbox press conference due to the fact they were giving away a new elite system. Gargus is right. IGN or one of the big gaming sites show the Big 3's press conferences online. I usually kick it my hotel room watching the event from hotel room anyways. I would try to establish a contact this coming year and hopefully you can make it in next year.

I just read from another forum that some guys are still getting their invites just now. First-time E3 goers as well. Maybe there's a little bit of hope after all....? I really do wish I could get at least one.

If I'm not mistaken, all the conferences happen a day or two BEFORE E3 opens. So there isn't a spot to "watch" them because they've taken place already.

[quote name='newtype06']Regarding the 3 big press conferences/keynotes (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo), I'm aware that they are invite-only. Is it possible to get an invite at this time or even at the day I show up at the registration? I've been trying to research like who to contact and so on, but no luck. My credentials and everything (as press) have been approved by the official E3 website (e3expo.com) since January 2011 and, pretty much, I'm good to go. It would be really nice to be at those conferences, live and all.[/QUOTE]

It is pretty hard to get into the conferences now a days... I know that with Nintendo, when they send you an invite and you RSVP yes, they make you print out a registration form that has a unique barcode for you and you only, plus you need to show them a picture ID and your business card.

I am not sure how Sony or MS are handling their pressers this year, but I know that last year, the MS invite was a unique invite that had a wristband with your name on it, and you needed to show ID as well.

In the past, I think you would have had to contact their PR teams to get an invite, but I am not sure if that is still teh case.

bread's done
Back