Auction or Buy it Now?

simplygriff

CAGiversary!
I've got about 50 games I'm gonna be putting up on the bay hopefully this week and was doing some research last night and it seems that more game auctions sell higher with buy it now than a regular bidding auction. What do you guys think about it? Are you more apt to pay for a buy it now to get it quick or wait it out and try to get a deal?
-G

I always list my auctions with the buy it now option, and most of the time when I buy ,it is with buy it now. I don't like to have to keep checking on an item. Plus when I use buy it now my things usually sell within the first day or 2 so that is nice.

[quote name='phear3d']regular auction.. usually when people see 3 digits they turn away from it.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, what do you mean 3 digits? You mean over $100? I don't have anything that's going for that much. hahaha...

and socio, that's kind of how I feel too. If I want something I cont' want to have to wait for the auction to end. I just wodner if the general populous is the same way. Instant gratification and all. :D
-G

I think it all depends on what you are selling. The more popular games (skate, Halo 3, Warhawk, etc.) I would use BIN, but for games you are unsure if they will sell (MLB 2006, PGR 3, CoD 2, etc.), auction style is best.

I usually go with straight fixed price listings. I do think you can get a little more with a fixed price than you'd get (on average) from a straight auction. But it does take a little more time to create your listings as you have to research a good price.

[quote name='simplygriff']Just curious, what do you mean 3 digits? You mean over $100? I don't have anything that's going for that much. hahaha...

-G[/quote]

you'd be surprised with some of the auctions that had 40+ games go over $100. and some if not all of them are crappy games. i sold a 13 lot Ps2 game auction and started it at $1, it ended up selling at nearly $60.

i mean these were games i bought from GS last year with their B2G1 free sale that i never got to flip (i was going to use them to flip at FYE for the trade 3 get 1 free deal but some of them were a penny).

i say take a chance and list it at $9.99 and buy the gallery for .35 cents (free listing for $10 and below if you buy the gallery).

I only do BINs and have had good luck with it. But you do have to do some reasearch on pricing and price it right as mentioned above.

In terms of getting more for BINs or auctions, I have seen it go both ways and there doesn't always appear to be a reason why one gets more than the other, I think it just depends on the buyers. I think rarer, higher priced items tend to get more with auctions as bidding wars usually heat things up and people are turned off by high BINs even if it is a good price.

If you want/have to sell them now then auctions with a low starting price may be the way to go. If you are in no rush and will accept relisting a certain percentage of them then do BINs, as I think you tend to maximize revenues by using them.

BIN = buy it now

I use BIN to cut the crap when I know what I want to sell any particular item at.

If I'm unsure I use auction, but I never run a pure auction for a single game...usually the crappy games go on pure auctions and I bundle them but I definitely use BIN with single/more expensive games more often.

[quote name='phear3d']you'd be surprised with some of the auctions that had 40+ games go over $100. and some if not all of them are crappy games. i sold a 13 lot Ps2 game auction and started it at $1, it ended up selling at nearly $60.

i mean these were games i bought from GS last year with their B2G1 free sale that i never got to flip (i was going to use them to flip at FYE for the trade 3 get 1 free deal but some of them were a penny).

i say take a chance and list it at $9.99 and buy the gallery for .35 cents (free listing for $10 and below if you buy the gallery).[/QUOTE]

Oh I gotcha. I guess I should have clarified. I'm gonna run each game separately. I think at this point I'm gonna have Buy It Now's on each one set for what I think I can get and low starting bid if people want to try to get a deal. Unless you guys think a massive lot with all 50 games in it would do better. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for all the input everyone!
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']Oh I gotcha. I guess I should have clarified. I'm gonna run each game separately. I think at this point I'm gonna have Buy It Now's on each one set for what I think I can get and low starting bid if people want to try to get a deal. Unless you guys think a massive lot with all 50 games in it would do better. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for all the input everyone!
-G[/QUOTE]

It depends on what games you have. If you're looking at a bunch of low value games, it might be best just to sell them in a lot. You may end up getting a little more if selling them individually, but it's a lot more work obviously. If your games have a decent value to them, I would definitely sell them individually.

Yeah. Shipping out constant games, especially if you put them together. It will get confusing trying to know which person to send to. Best bet, put em all in a lot.

Unless they are high value games, maybe like 20-30$ and over its probably best to put them in a lot, you will save trouble and fees that way, and you won't have to constantly be running to the post office to ship out games, plus less packing material.

bread's done
Back