Audioslave - Revelations

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Wow. They really hit their stride with this record. I didn't really like the S/T one (it was OK I guess) but I thought "Out of Exile" was a huge improvement. "Revelations" blows them both away. Tom Morello finally sounds like the guitarist from RATM again and Chris Cornell kicks ass, as always. I think they finally figured out what their strengths are and really played to them. I can't wait to see what's next... well, after the Cornell solo CD (which I'm also looking forward to)...

Out of Exile was a huge disappointment, to me. And from what I've been told, Revelations is another step in the same direction. No thanks.

Out of Exile was a huge disappointment, to me. And from what I've been told, Revelations is another step in the same direction. No thanks.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Out of Exile was a huge disappointment, to me. And from what I've been told, Revelations is another step in the same direction. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

I was no fan of Out of Exile, but I'm really enjoying this CD thus far... for whatever that's worth. They just seem to finally be gelling as a band. No more Rage or Soundgarden lite, although I've already seen a few reviews chastise them for just that... in other words not tackling political issues. Which is rather unfair and irrelevant in my opinion, since they split with Zach principly to get away from that kind of music.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Out of Exile was a huge disappointment, to me. And from what I've been told, Revelations is another step in the same direction. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

I was no fan of Out of Exile, but I'm really enjoying this CD thus far... for whatever that's worth. They just seem to finally be gelling as a band. No more Rage or Soundgarden lite, although I've already seen a few reviews chastise them for just that... in other words not tackling political issues. Which is rather unfair and irrelevant in my opinion, since they split with Zach principly to get away from that kind of music.

I was talking to Jimmie about this the other day while playing Texas Hold 'em. The reason we both like Audioslave is because their last couple of albums just flowed. All the songs started off hard, got kinda mellow, and then ended hard. I never got sick of any of the songs, and I like them all.

Out of Exile was definitely a disappointment after their debut album, but I didn't really expect them to top it. I still love Out of Exile, and 'Man or Animal' is one of my favorite Audioslave songs overall.

Revelations is different. It's too mellow for me. 'Original Fire' is my favorite song from the album, and not surprisingly, the heaviest song from the album. Revelations is good and all, but for me, it just doesn't live up to the last two, and IMO, is the weakest of the three.

I was talking to Jimmie about this the other day while playing Texas Hold 'em. The reason we both like Audioslave is because their last couple of albums just flowed. All the songs started off hard, got kinda mellow, and then ended hard. I never got sick of any of the songs, and I like them all.

Out of Exile was definitely a disappointment after their debut album, but I didn't really expect them to top it. I still love Out of Exile, and 'Man or Animal' is one of my favorite Audioslave songs overall.

Revelations is different. It's too mellow for me. 'Original Fire' is my favorite song from the album, and not surprisingly, the heaviest song from the album. Revelations is good and all, but for me, it just doesn't live up to the last two, and IMO, is the weakest of the three.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']what's with the double posts?? weird... I think the album is pretty good though.[/quote]

What's with the triple posts too?

Anyhow, I've had the exact opposite reaction to Audioslave that the OP had. S/T was an absolutely excellent album when it came out, and still holds up well I think. It has the right amount of everything in it, in my opinion and is definitely my favorite.

Out of Exile was blah, some good tracks on it, like Doesn't Remind Me, which sounded exactly like I was back in the good old 90's again. Be Yourself though? :whistle2:&

Revelations isn't sounding great either. I was all hyped for it, Original Fire is ok, and there's one other track on there that sounds good, but nothing outstanding.

Katie demands more songs like Show Me How To Live! Heck, do up some of those Civilian demos and put those on an album, those are pretty good actually...

[quote name='thehuskerfan']what's with the double posts?? weird... I think the album is pretty good though.[/quote]

What's with the triple posts too?

Anyhow, I've had the exact opposite reaction to Audioslave that the OP had. S/T was an absolutely excellent album when it came out, and still holds up well I think. It has the right amount of everything in it, in my opinion and is definitely my favorite.

Out of Exile was blah, some good tracks on it, like Doesn't Remind Me, which sounded exactly like I was back in the good old 90's again. Be Yourself though? :whistle2:&

Revelations isn't sounding great either. I was all hyped for it, Original Fire is ok, and there's one other track on there that sounds good, but nothing outstanding.

Katie demands more songs like Show Me How To Live! Heck, do up some of those Civilian demos and put those on an album, those are pretty good actually...

Damn. I loved their self titled, didnt really like Out of Exile and you're scaring me away from Revelations... I wish my DC ++ was working that way I could check it out before blindly purchasing.

Damn. I loved their self titled, didnt really like Out of Exile and you're scaring me away from Revelations... I wish my DC ++ was working that way I could check it out before blindly purchasing.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn. I loved their self titled, didnt really like Out of Exile and you're scaring me away from Revelations... I wish my DC ++ was working that way I could check it out before blindly purchasing.[/quote] I love the radio station here for allowing me to sample Out of Exile. They somehow managed to play the entire CD on the air over the course of an hour and a half or so, right before or right after release. Loved it, bought it, and still love it.

Of course, I'm such an Audioslave fan and music buff that I didn't even know they had a new album out.

[quote name='Xevious']I loved Soundgarden and Rage.

So far though, I've been dissapointed with AudioSlave[/QUOTE]

I was that way for a while until I listened to them a lot more.

[quote name='Xevious']I loved Soundgarden and Rage.

So far though, I've been dissapointed with AudioSlave[/QUOTE]

I was that way for a while until I listened to them a lot more.

Oh yeah, I love the s/t.

Love it so far. Audioslave isn't Rage - Zach = Soundgarden. Never was meant to be. Best written so far, IMO.

1, 2, 4, 5 all top notch (where I'm at thus far)

Almost picked it up yesterday at CC, and then again at BB. Still need to listen to some samples before I decide.

I think Squizz on XM was supposed to be playing the whole cd sometime this week...

Didn't even know they had a new one coming out. Out of Exiles was aiight. So with all the good word about this one, Im gonna take a chance

ST was good...I still remember when the demos got leaked. Out of Exile was definitely not as rocking but I really loved the album for what Cornell did with his vocals. The band was good at times but for the most part they don't hold up to Chris. I have yet to hear the new album but I did hear original fire and I loved it up until Tom went into his solo. We get it Tom you like to make weird sounds with your guitar...we got it on every single Rage album over and over again....we got it with the audioslave albums....now for the love of god put it to rest. The solo in original fire is so awful.

[quote name='jkam']ST was good...I still remember when the demos got leaked. Out of Exile was definitely not as rocking but I really loved the album for what Cornell did with his vocals. The band was good at times but for the most part they don't hold up to Chris. I have yet to hear the new album but I did hear original fire and I loved it up until Tom went into his solo. We get it Tom you like to make weird sounds with your guitar...we got it on every single Rage album over and over again....we got it with the audioslave albums....now for the love of god put it to rest. The solo in original fire is so awful.[/quote]

Tom Morello is the guitar equivalent of Chris Cornell on vocals. It's all that crazy shit that makes it Audioslave for me. It's what I wait for in every song.

The solo in Original Fire is definitely weird at first, but after hearing it a bunch of times, I wait for it, just like all the other songs.

Question: Just bought the CD (first CD I've bought in years) and when I got home I noticed the fine print on the back mentioned that this is a Sony BMG album. The words "Sony BMG" aren't exactly what I want to see when I buy a CD. So, can I put this cd in my computer without scarring my hard drive with some bogus copyright protection program? Can I import the tracks to Itunes? If I can't get this on my MP3 player it's going back to the store.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Question: Just bought the CD (first CD I've bought in years) and when I got home I noticed the fine print on the back mentioned that this is a Sony BMG album. The words "Sony BMG" aren't exactly what I want to see when I buy a CD. So, can I put this cd in my computer without scarring my hard drive with some bogus copyright protection program? Can I import the tracks to Itunes? If I can't get this on my MP3 player it's going back to the store.[/quote]
I don't use iTunes very often, but I was just able to import and convert all the songs to my library from the CD. I used WMP to rip them.

[quote name='Trakan']I don't use iTunes very often, but I was just able to import and convert all the songs to my library from the CD. I used WMP to rip them.[/QUOTE]
Do I have to hold shift+f12 or some crazy combination to prevent any autoplay? Or can I just pop it in?

Im starting to like Revelations more after hearing it a couple of times. This albums tends to have more of a funk feel to it. My favorite song on it is Broken City so far followed up by One in the Same. Overall I like this album more than OoE but not S/T.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Question: Just bought the CD (first CD I've bought in years) and when I got home I noticed the fine print on the back mentioned that this is a Sony BMG album. The words "Sony BMG" aren't exactly what I want to see when I buy a CD. So, can I put this cd in my computer without scarring my hard drive with some bogus copyright protection program? Can I import the tracks to Itunes? If I can't get this on my MP3 player it's going back to the store.[/QUOTE]I ripped the CD last night without any issues. I'm pretty sure there's no protection whatsoever... not even the standard FBI warning on the back.

Loved the first and I like this and Out of Exile about the same. They still don't hold a candle to Rage or Soundgarden. And Cornell can't sing for shit anymore, his voice is way too raspy. He sounds pretty bad live in my opinion. He fell into the James Hetfield thing, but without the alcohol.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I ripped the CD last night without any issues. I'm pretty sure there's no protection whatsoever... not even the standard FBI warning on the back.[/QUOTE]

Same here. The only thing that caught my eye was SynCor.exe, but that could be anything.

After having this CD for about a week, I must say it's grown on me. Listening to it a couple of times helped me like it more.

Moth (It's so fucking good!), Original Fire, and Jewel of the Summertime are my favorite songs from the album, in that order.

Tom's got an awesome (albeit short) guitar solo in Sound of a Gun.

Awesome thread bump, since I just ordered this off Amazon a half hour ago. Forgot to snag it in stores at $10 last week, but $9.88 shipped with Prime trial is even better.

bread's done
Back