4 - 360 - BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (SQUARE-ENIX) - 303k
5 - PS3 - BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (SQUARE-ENIX) - 290k
6 - PS2 - MADDEN NFL 10 (EA) - 160k
7 - PSP - DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (SQUARE-ENIX) - 130k
8 - WII - WII FIT* (Nintendo) - 128k
9 - WII - MARIO KART W/WHEEL (Nintendo) - 120k
10 - DS - FOSSIL FIGHTERS (Nintendo) - 92k

11 - DS - Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
12 - DS - New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)
13 - WII - Wii Play W/ Wii Remote (Nintendo)
14 - DS - Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo)
15 - 360 - NCAA Football 10 (EA)
16 - DS - Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (Nintendo)
17 - WII - Madden NFL 10 (EA)
18 - 360 - Wolfenstein (EA)
19 - WII - EA Sports Active Bundle (EA)
20 - WII - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (EA)

NPD Analysis:
The industry realized its sixth consecutive month-over-month decline, and while improved over the last several months, it's still a notable decline. The back four months of the year would have to be up 14% in aggregate for 2009 to come in flat in comparison to 2008 sales.

The price cuts implemented on the PS3 and 360 hardware already made an impact on unit sales, despite having been executed fairly late in the month. It will be interesting to see the full impact of the new price points on September sales.

All hardware systems with the exception of the PS2 realized an increase in unit sales over July. The PS3 captured the greatest increase month-over-month with unit sales boosted by 72% over July levels.

There is a lot of speculation about Wii and whether Nintendo will take a price cut as sales comps to last year show declines. I do think it's interesting to note that the Wii is still selling at levels comparable to what the PS2 was doing at about this point in its lifecycle.

As many predicted, Madden captured the top spot for the month, selling nearly 1.9 million units across its five SKU's.

With the introduction of Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 in September, a lot of folks have inquired about the performance of these titles and the music/dance genre. While sales of this genre are down 46% year-to-date, unit sales are down much less because lower prices are playing into the dollar sales decline. It's still the third best-selling genre for the year after General Action and Multiple/Other Sports (where Wii Fit resides).

The PS3 was the only platform to realize a year-over-year increase in total software sales and this is reflected in the top 10 list for the month which includes two PS3 games.

Accessories was the only category to experience an increase for the month of August over last year's sales. The uptick in hardware sales helps to spur sales of additional controllers and other peripherals which help consumers enjoy their new system(s).

Benchmark Comparisons (US Only):

PS2 24,422,000 (46-month mark) (July 2004)
PS2 18,390,000 (34-month mark) (July 2003)

Xbox - 9,578,402 (34-month mark) (Aug 2004)
Xbox - 12,634,000 (46-month mark) (Aug 2005)

GCN - 7,783,241 (34-month mark) (Aug 2004)
GCN - 11,162,000 (46-month mark) (Aug 2005)

360 15,899,186 (46 months) (Aug 2009)
360 10,944,200 (34 months) (Aug 2008)

PS3 8,245,896 (34 months) (Aug 2009)

Wii 21,095,181 (34 months) (Aug 2009)

Wii - 3,554,100
360 - 2,038,900
PS3 - 1,451,500

Last edited by a moderator:
Very surprising the tiny difference between PS3 and 360 hardware. I expected PS3 to be much lower.
Next month it should beat both systems easily. Perhaps 360 can top the Wii as well, that'd be a first.

Good Batman numbers, it deserved it. Nice to see it so even despite the larger install base of 360. Joker DLC must have helped.

And aww, a PSP game made the top 10. A mediocre one but still.

No Wii Madden, no Metroid Trilogy, no Layton.
All beaten by Fossil Fighters? :|

What day did the PS3 price drop happen?

And why did you expect the PS3 to be lower dallow? Anticipation of the drop?

And I say this almost every month but I'll say it again ... WHO THE fuck IS BUYING ALL THESE DS's?!! :lol:

Very nice sales for Batman. I'm happy to see it did well for both systems.

A number of things, anticipation of a drop as you mentioned, a choke on supply, news of the slim.
I think the drop became official the 18th, but the real marketing push/blitz began later and NPD stopped tracking sales on the 29th.
Next month will be huge.

[quote name='dallow']A number of things, anticipation of a drop as you mentioned, a choke on supply, news of the slim.
I think the drop became official the 18th, but the real marketing push/blitz began later and NPD stopped tracking sales on the 29th.
Next month will be huge.[/QUOTE]

The drop was made official on the 18th. So pretty amazing that the PS3 saw such a large sales increase with just 11 days in the books. I'm curious if the price cut and advertising will be enough for the PS3 to catch up to the 360's YTD sales.

Glad to see Batman selling so well.

It only had a week of sales, though. Expect it to do more in September. It might be on higher on PS3 then, too. I suspect PS3 will be higher than 360 sales in September, too. Especially given the sales figures here.

However, the most surprising thing on this list: Dissidia

[quote name='Ecofreak']The drop was made official on the 18th. So pretty amazing that the PS3 saw such a large sales increase with just 11 days in the books. I'm curious if the price cut and advertising will be enough for the PS3 to catch up to the 360's YTD sales.

Glad to see Batman selling so well.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what the YTD sales are for the systems?

[quote name='dallow']Very surprising the tiny difference between PS3 and 360 hardware. I expected PS3 to be much lower.
Next month it should beat both systems easily. Perhaps 360 can top the Wii as well, that'd be a first.

Good Batman numbers, it deserved it. Nice to see it so even despite the larger install base of 360. Joker DLC must have helped.

And aww, a PSP game made the top 10. A mediocre one but still.

No Wii Madden, no Metroid Trilogy, no Layton.
All beaten by Fossil Fighters? :|[/QUOTE]
Mediocre My Ass.

[quote name='J7.']Do you know what the YTD sales are for the systems?[/QUOTE]

It's a fair bit but Dr. Mario Kart would have the figures.

People should realize that Nintendo of America doesn't advertise games that have a rating of E10+ or higher.

[quote name='KingBroly']However, the most surprising thing on this list: Dissidia[/QUOTE]
Didn't Crisis Core chart as well? Dissidia's the first new Final Fantasy PSP game since then. I've seen some FF fans saying they want to (or will) buy a PSP for Dissidia, just like some FFVII fans did before Crisis Core came out.

Still, it is always weird to see any PSP game in the top ten.

Fossil Fighters kind of surprises me, too. I guess you can't underestimate the appeal of dinosaurs.

I was also freaked out momentarily by seeing the "SQUARE ENIX" after Batman, but then I remembered that it was an Eidos game.

11. Mario Kart DS (DS) – Nintendo
12. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) – Nintendo
13. Wii Play W/ Wii Remote (Wii) – Nintendo
14. Pokemon Platinum (DS) – Nintendo
15. NCAA Football 10 (360) – Electronic Arts
16. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS) – Nintendo
17. Madden NFL 10 (Wii) – Electronic Arts
18. Wolfenstein (360) – Electronic Arts
19. EA Sports Active Bundle (Wii) – Electronic Arts
20. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (Wii) – Electronic Arts

Yeah I got it off VGChartz so u guys can flame me again.

Wheres my free copy of Wolfensteine? It outsold Madden PSP!

Oh wait. I didn't buy the game.

I dont think it originated there, it matches up with Gamasutra, so its good.

Its amazing how much money EA manages to lose every year despite selling so many games.

I wish someone could find out the Metroid Prime Trilogy numbers. It seems like there are a few copies in stores. But I guess people don't buy remakes.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Kinda' expected Batman:AA to break a total million based on all the hype.[/QUOTE]

Many stores were sold out of it for the last two weeks of August if you didn't pre-order. My local Gamestop turned people away at the midnight launch because they ran out of copies. When I left St. Louis on the 2nd for PAX, they were still sold out. Even Wombat had problems getting the game in the NY City area for the first couple of weeks.

There was an article on Kotaku earlier this week that said WB leaked during a stock holders conference call that counting sales in the first two weeks of Sept., Batman: AA has sold 2 million copies worldwide since launch.

[quote name='dallow']Perhaps 360 can top the Wii as well, that'd be a [/QUOTE]
It passed they Wii in September of 07, so it would actually be a second. :cool:

bread's done
Back