WII – 244,300
PS3 - 226,000
PSP – 79,400

1 - 360 - Madden NFL 11 (EA) - 920,800
2 - PS3 - Madden NFL 11 (EA) - 893,600
3 - WII - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 124,600
4 - 360 - Mafia 2 (Take 2) - 121,600
5 - NDS - New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo) - 110,400
6 - WII - New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)
7 - PS3 - Mafia 2 (Take 2)
8 - 360 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
9 - 360 - NCAA Football 11 (EA) - 87K
10- WII - Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)

11- WII - Just Dance (Ubisoft)
12- 360 - Red Dead Redemption (Take 2) - 75K
13- NDS - Pokemon SoulSilver (Nintendo)
14- PS2 - Madden NFL 11 (EA)
15- PS3 - NCAA Football 11 (EA)
16- WII - Wipeout: The Game (Activision)
17- WII - Mario Kart (Nintendo)
18- NDS - Dragon Quest 9 (Nintendo)
19- PS3 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
20- NDS - Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)

Games: $818.9 million (-10%)
Hardware: $282.9 million (-5%)
Software: $403.5 million (-14%)
Accessories: $132.4 million (-6%)

"Madden NFL 11 once again made August 'Madden Month' at retail," says NPD's Anita Frazier. "Sales of this year's game were about 6% higher than last year's in its debut month, but interestingly, all of the gains occurred on the PS3 platform, reflecting the impact of the hardware sales momentum on corresponding software sales."

Blizzard's PC game Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty -- had it qualified as a console video game -- actually would hit the charts with more than 300,000 copies sold. "In fact, PC games retail dollar sales saw a 35% increase over last August," Frazier says.

However, sales were not enough to prevent the industry's fifth straight decline. Total sales of video games, systems and accessories amounted to about $819 million, 10% below August 2009, according to NPD's report. Hardware sales dropped 5%, while software sales dropped 14%.

"In fact, this month reflected the lowest sales for August since 2006," says NPD's Anita Frazier. "While all categories are down in both dollars and units, the portable portion of the industry is down to a greater extent than is the console portion."

Year to date 2010 (millions):
NDS - 3.81
WII - 2.95
360 - 2.73
PS3 - 2.03
PSP - 0.76

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly I'm impressed with the Madden sales figures for PS3. Though it's not my intention to start a fanboy war, and I know it probably will anyway, I'm really curious to know how many 360s are bought monthly to replace burned out units. (I'm a recent YLOD victim btw). Though the monthly head to head system sales are still in favor of 360 (by a lot), when a multiplatform game like Madden comes out and the sales are within 3% of each other, it seems like the PS3 has gained a ton of momentum and is neck and neck.

I'm amazed at how New Super Mario Bros continues to sell, especially the DS version which came out a long time ago. And Mario Galaxy is there too... WTF?

[quote name='Vinny']I'm amazed at how New Super Mario Bros continues to sell, especially the DS version which came out a long time ago. And Mario Galaxy is there too... WTF?[/QUOTE]

Casuals--all they know about is Mario, and they see it at Wal-mart on the shelf and buy it.

Also, I think that is supposed to be Super Mario Galaxy 2.

They need to break out the 360 numbers between arcade/elite/etc. Someone mentioned about replacing RROD, and I think knowing if the numbers are heavily skewed towards the arcade would help answer that. The $100 360's would surely keep the momentum going, though.

[quote name='soonersfan60']They need to break out the 360 numbers between arcade/elite/etc. Someone mentioned about replacing RROD, and I think knowing if the numbers are heavily skewed towards the arcade would help answer that. The $100 360's would surely keep the momentum going, though.[/QUOTE]

This is the only thing I have on it, which was before slim:

hardware-detail-estimates-feb-2010.png

Estimates for Mafia 2 are as high as $50-60 million. Looks like Take 2 gets hosed again.

I was about to jump on Mafia 2 for PC after playing the horrific PS3 version until I heard what type of game it was (mainly not a true open world). Maybe I'll pick it up for cheap or hope for a steam sale.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']#11-20 added. Kane & Lynch 2 nowhere to be found. Welcome to western gaming, Square-Enix.[/QUOTE]

I thought their welcome was with Batman Arkham Asylum.

ah! I forgot about that. I bet it took a big chunk out of those profits though. Given that #6 already is ~100k or less, it K&L2 could very well be sitting in BIONIC COMMANDO territory.

[quote name='QiG']Frankly I'm impressed with the Madden sales figures for PS3. Though it's not my intention to start a fanboy war, and I know it probably will anyway, I'm really curious to know how many 360s are bought monthly to replace burned out units. (I'm a recent YLOD victim btw). Though the monthly head to head system sales are still in favor of 360 (by a lot), when a multiplatform game like Madden comes out and the sales are within 3% of each other, it seems like the PS3 has gained a ton of momentum and is neck and neck.[/QUOTE]

You can't make assumptions based off of single titles because there are so many factors involved. Look at the split on RDR in May and June

May:
Red Dead Redemption (360) - 945.9K
Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - 567.1K

June:
Red Dead Redemption (360) - 582.6K
Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - 380.3K

Total:

360 - 1,528.5K (62%)
PS3 - 947.4K (38%)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']ah! I forgot about that. I bet it took a big chunk out of those profits though. Given that #6 already is ~100k or less, it K&L2 could very well be sitting in BIONIC COMMANDO territory.[/QUOTE]

well, it's a bad game that deserves to flop. I mean, even Yahtzee's review was way harsher than usual and he hates everything.

But that's what S-E gets for acquiring Eidos -- utter inconsistency. Meanwhile, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Boobs is getting a lot of critical acclaim and probably some respectable DD sales (pun not intended until after reconsideration.)

[quote name='ninja dog']I thought their welcome was with Batman Arkham Asylum.[/QUOTE]

Actually Arkham Asylum was the last game Eidos published.

As for Edios it depends on which team. Crystal Dynamics always been above average. Io Interactive has never been that good.

I love how a 6 year old hand-held dominates. What's the LTD on Mario Bros. Wii vs. SMG 2? I would love to show that to Miyamoto and force him to make Mario Bros. Wii 2.

Did anyone ever find out just HOW bad Kane and Lynch 2 flopped? When Bionic Commando flopped, there were numbers available for it that Gamasutra or some other site dug up.

[quote name='62t']
As for Edios it depends on which team. Crystal Dynamics always been above average. [highlight]Io Interactive[/highlight] has never been that good.[/QUOTE]

I swear, I have nothing to do with it!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']This is the only thing I have on it, which was before slim:

hardware-detail-estimates-feb-2010.png

Estimates for Mafia 2 are as high as $50-60 million. Looks like Take 2 gets hosed again.[/QUOTE]

Anybody feel bad for the PSP Go? Can't say I care much but that hand held is not being received well.

[quote name='jax2001']Anybody feel bad for the PSP Go? Can't say I care much but that hand held is not being received well.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. It was a stupid idea and it failed. Sony needs to take that as a lesson learned next time they try to make a device that only allows downloadable games.

Knowing Sony though... they'll keep forcing it down our throats. I'm betting the PSP2 won't have a optical drive either.

I was about to flip out about Other M not placing in the top 20, but then I remembered it was released on the 31st. I don't know why I thought it was released earlier.

bread's done
Back